PDA

View Full Version : Beast Master as Hunter Options

clash
2016-08-23, 12:08 PM
I posted a homebrew monk archetype and got lots of good feedback so I thought I would try posting a ranger archetype I made.

The idea with the archetype isnt a new archetype but rather new options for the hunter archetype to make it a beastmaster without reducing your characters own effectiveness in combat as the current beastmaster does. So without further ado the additional options are as follows:

3: Hunter's Prey:
Hunting companion: You hunt your prey with the aid of a companion. When you hit a creature with an attack, your companion can attack it as well if it is within range 1/turn. Hunting companion has the same stats and and cr restrictions as the beastmaster rangers companion but doesnt get proficiency to dmg and cant attack independently of you.

Most cr 1/4 do about 1d6 + 2 dmg ~ 5.5. Colossus slayer adds 1d8 ~ 4.5 and only relies on one attack hitting(rather than pet hitting as well) but requires them to be wounded. Hordebreaker will likely do 1d8 + 4 ~ 8.5 extra dmg without any optimization but requires a second creature. This seemed like a good balance.

7: Defensive tactics
Protective companion: You can disengage as a bonus action from any creature adjacent to your companion. *Requires Hunting Companion

11: Multiattack
Pack animals: You have 3 hunting companions as in the hunting companion ability. As an action, you and each animal can lash out at a different creature that you can see. *Requires Hunting Companion

Doesnt have the range restrictions of Volley or Whirlwind but your companions will generally do considerably less damage than you it's restricted to 4 enemies for what it's worth.

15 Superior hunter's defense
Team defense: When you are adjacent to a hunting companion and one of you is attacked with a weapon attack or targetted spell, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. *Requires Hunting Companion

This will probably happen all the time, but evasion and uncanny dodge always work as well so I dont think it's a bad thing, and it gives both you and your pet more survivability. And I dont think that disadvantage is stronger then halving the damage but let me know your thoughts.

Also while all the abilities require the initial one, the thought is that if you took Hunting Companion, you wouldnt be forced to take all the abilities relating to it. You could still take the other hunter abilities at higher levels. Let me know what you think.