PDA

View Full Version : Extra bonus actions??

Daesicus
2016-08-23, 12:22 PM
I would like to find out if there is any way to get more than 1 bonus action in a turn, and how to do so... because alot of abilities for certain classes are slightly useless if you do not have more than one bonus action a round.

Action surge does not help because the way it reads says if you haven't already used a bonus action that turn, you MAY use it there as the surge....wait....a...can you take normal action and normal bonus action... then use action surge for just another bonus???

Dalebert
2016-08-23, 12:25 PM
While it's possible I've missed something somewhere, I'm fairly confident there's no way to get an additional bonus action in a turn. This appears to be a very conscious balance decision.

I don't know of any ability that's useless without extra bonus actions. Maybe it's just not as good as you and we would like them to be. :smallbiggrin:

Sir cryosin
2016-08-23, 12:27 PM
What abilitys are useless if you don't have a extra bonus action? And no there is nothing that gives you more then one.

Edit: according to the rules you don't even have a bonus action unless something gives you one.

clash
2016-08-23, 12:30 PM
Best answer is ask your dm.

RAW actions and bonus actions are two different things and an action cannot be used to perform a bonus action. However, logically speaking a bonus action takes less time than an action so I would rule you can use your action to perform it. This would allow action surge to grant a second bonus action or even just the ability to use two bonus actions normally (bonus action + action).

As for other things that could grant more bonus actions, with a lenient dm you could see if the extra action from haste could be used as a bonus action as well.

mgshamster
2016-08-23, 12:37 PM
He closest you can get is by adding extra turns on your round. For example, a 17th level rogue can do this one the first round of combat (Theif's Reflexes, theif archetype).

The 9th level spell Time Stop also allows you to take some extra turns in a single round, thereby granting more bonus actions, since you get one per turn.

Considering that these are all end game abilities, if be very hesitant to grant more than one bonus action per turn before level 17. The DMG recommends never doing this at all.

Dalebert
2016-08-23, 12:43 PM
The DMG recommends never doing this at all.

So I was right about it being a conscious balance decision.

mgshamster
2016-08-23, 12:55 PM
So I was right about it being a conscious balance decision.

Yup!

Here's what the DMG says (page 263 in the intro to Chapter 9 - The Dungeon Master's Workshop):

"Beware of adding anything to your game that allows a character to concentrate on more than one effect at a time, use more than one reaction or bonus action per round, or attune to more than three magic items at a time. Rules and game elements that override the rules for concentration, reactions, bonus actions, and magic item attunement can seriously unbalance or overcomplicate your game."

Sir cryosin
2016-08-23, 01:21 PM
Yup!

Here's what the DMG says (page 263 in the intro to Chapter 9 - The Dungeon Master's Workshop):

"Beware of adding anything to your game that allows a character to concentrate on more than one effect at a time, use more than one reaction or bonus action per round, or attune to more than three magic items at a time. Rules and game elements that override the rules for concentration, reactions, bonus actions, and magic item attunement can seriously unbalance or overcomplicate your game."

But yet they go and try to add tunnel fighting style lol.

GlenSmash!
2016-08-23, 01:24 PM
But yet they go and try to add tunnel fighting style lol.

Tunnel Fighting Style is UA so technically they've only "thought" about it not actually implemented it. So they are only *considering* ignoring they're own advice :smallwink:

ATHATH
2016-08-23, 01:47 PM
He closest you can get is by adding extra turns on your round. For example, a 17th level rogue can do this one the first round of combat (Theif's Reflexes, theif archetype).

The 9th level spell Time Stop also allows you to take some extra turns in a single round, thereby granting more bonus actions, since you get one per turn.

Considering that these are all end game abilities, if be very hesitant to grant more than one bonus action per turn before level 17. The DMG recommends never doing this at all.
Or you could dip a level into Variant Ranger (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf) for Ambuscade.

Daishain
2016-08-23, 01:52 PM
A common house rule is that you can use an extra free action by converting it to a bonus or standard, and you can use an extra bonus action by converting it to a standard action.

But that's a house rule rather than RAW, and taking advantage of it does carry a cost.

RickAllison
2016-08-23, 02:27 PM
Tunnel Fighting Style is UA so technically they've only "thought" about it not actually implemented it. So they are only *considering* ignoring they're own advice :smallwink:

Just as they've considered giving wizards healing (Artificer and Theurge), considered giving sorcerers more spells (Favored Soul and Storm, though the Storm in SCAG lost them), and otherwise thought about breaking their advice :smallbiggrin:

And yet I've toyed around with all of those...