PDA

View Full Version : Battle Dancer

clash
2016-08-23, 05:07 PM
This monk archetype is a 3.5 conversion. I am thinking it is too strong. Let me know

Battle Dancer:
3: Dance of the Vexing Snake - The dancer moves in vexing and unpredictable ways making her harder to pin down or hit. Anytime she uses Patient defense or step of the wind she begins the dance. Every round while the dance is active she may dodge or disengage as a bonus action without expending any ki. The dance ends after one minute or if the dancer ends her turn without using the dodge or disengage action.
6: Dance of the Crushing Python - The battle dancer's speed and mighty unarmed strikes combine to make her a fearsome opponent. She gains proficiency with Strength(Atheltics) or adds double her proficiency if already proficient. Additionally any time she hits an opponent with an unarmed strike she may attempt to grapple them as a bonus action.
11: Dance of the Soaring Eagle - The dancer learns to dance on air as easily as earth. While moving she may move up and down at half speed. She must end her movement on a solid surface. Additionally if she moves down at least 10 feet on her turn prior to attacking a target she gains advantage on the first attack roll.
17: Dance of Death's Embrace - The dancer may spend 3 ki to start a deadly dance with a foe. While in the dance the dancer deals an additional 2d6 dmg on every strike against the target and the target has disadvantage on attack rolls to attack anyone except the dancer. The dance lasts for 1 min or until the dancer fails to hit the target with at least one attack on her turn. She may only engage in the dance with one target at a time.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-08-23, 06:19 PM
This monk archetype is a 3.5 conversion. I am thinking it is too strong. Let me know

Battle Dancer:
3: Dance of the Vexing Snake - The dancer moves in vexing and unpredictable ways making her harder to pin down or hit. Anytime she uses Patient defense or step of the wind she begins the dance. Every round while the dance is active she may dodge or disengage as a bonus action without expending any ki. The dance ends after one minute or if the dancer ends her turn without using the dodge or disengage action.
6: Dance of the Crushing Python - The battle dancer's speed and mighty unarmed strikes combine to make her a fearsome opponent. She gains proficiency with Strength(Atheltics) or adds double her proficiency if already proficient. Additionally any time she hits an opponent with an unarmed strike she may attempt to grapple them as a bonus action.
11: Dance of the Soaring Eagle - The dancer learns to dance on air as easily as earth. While moving she may move up and down at half speed. She must end her movement on a solid surface. Additionally if she moves down at least 10 feet on her turn prior to attacking a target she gains advantage on the first attack roll.
17: Dance of Death's Embrace - The dancer may spend 3 ki to start a deadly dance with a foe. While in the dance the dancer deals an additional 1d6 dmg on every strike against the target and the target must succeed on a wis save to attack anyone except the dancer. The dance lasts for 1 min or until the dancer fails to hit the target with an attack on her turn. She may only engage in the dance with one target at a time.

First off, doesn't seem too OP since a lot of the abilities require burning a bonus action, which is where the monk does either 1/3 or 1/2 their damage. In that sense I'm not sure how desirable the subclass actually is.

The 11th level ability might be a little OP, though. You could bonus action disengage, fly up into the air and prevent a lot of creatures from attacking you (a lot of creatures don't have ranged attacks, this is why Aarakocra aren't AL legal), and then fly down getting advantage on your first attack.

The 17th level ability is kind of meh. So I have to wait until 17th level to get Hunter's Strike which I could do if I just multi to Ranger for 2 levels. But wait, it doesn't require concentration (good) but apparently can't be moved to another target (bad) and I will lose it if I miss just once (really bad). The Wis save to prevent someone from attacking anyone else is really broken considering you can fly away from creatures up on a ledge somewhere.

So, yeah, now that I think about it, a combination of broken and not very good.

clash
2016-08-23, 06:57 PM
First off, doesn't seem too OP since a lot of the abilities require burning a bonus action, which is where the monk does either 1/3 or 1/2 their damage. In that sense I'm not sure how desirable the subclass actually is.

Basically the idea with this one was to make patient defense and step of the wind actually plausible actions for their cost. Without this there is little to no reason to choose these over flurry of blows. With this dance you could substantially increase your defense while tanking or in a tight spot.

The 11th level ability might be a little OP, though. You could bonus action disengage, fly up into the air and prevent a lot of creatures from attacking you (a lot of creatures don't have ranged attacks, this is why Aarakocra aren't AL legal), and then fly down getting advantage on your first attack.

That doesnt work because they have to end their movement on the ground so it wont really prevent anyone from attacking you. Its not a huge improvement over monks running up walls feature.

The 17th level ability is kind of meh. So I have to wait until 17th level to get Hunter's Strike which I could do if I just multi to Ranger for 2 levels. But wait, it doesn't require concentration (good) but apparently can't be moved to another target (bad) and I will lose it if I miss just once (really bad). The Wis save to prevent someone from attacking anyone else is really broken considering you can fly away from creatures up on a ledge somewhere.

This ability was originally 2d6 but I cut it back. Would that be a reasonable dmg increase to make it worthwhile? And Also the intention was that they attack you if they are able. I think I will text from compelled duel, and have it so they have disadvantage when attacking creatures other than you. Would those make the capstone better?

Afrodactyl
2016-08-24, 04:21 AM
For the capstone, how about;

When you take the attack action on your turn and hit with a melee attack, you may spend three Ki points. All your unarmed strikes against that target deal an extra 1d8 of damage. Your target must succeed on a Wis save if it wishes to target anything other than you for a spell, attack, or other action.

All of the above effects last for one minute, or if you target another creature with any spell, attack or other action, or if you miss with more than half of your attacks in a round when you choose the attack option.

clash
2016-08-24, 08:40 AM
All of the above effects last for one minute, or if you target another creature with any spell, attack or other action, or if you miss with more than half of your attacks in a round when you choose the attack option.
I have reworded the miss part, as I realize it sounds like if you miss once then its over. The intention was you had to hit the target at least once in a turn