PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic is Rare: New Sorcerer Spell-lists for a Low-Magic Setting

RickAllison
2016-08-23, 06:21 PM
Hello, everybody! Today, I'm looking at creating a set of new spell-lists for Sorcerers for a campaign set in the world of the Books of Bayern. Some of the distinguishing features of magic (also known as the Three Gifts or X-speaking) in that setting:

1) Magic is extremely rare
2) It has a tendency to have people become lost in it (like a fire-speaker eventually loses control and burns from the inside out, a water-speaker eventually thinks they are part of the water, a wind-speaker feels nothing but the wind itself anymore, etc.)
3) Most users are born with the gift, just waiting to arise. Others have the same potential, but must be taught to spark the gift
4) Speakers can learn other gifts (the players won't know this at the start), but it is very difficult
5) It is a very primal, but flexible magic

In keeping with these themes, I've decided to use the Sorcerer chassis with the option to either use Charisma or Intelligence for the casting stat to represent all magic-users, but I am taking the spell-lists of all casters and picking and choosing appropriate spells to form the basic spell-list of these sorcerers. Here are some of the options I have picked so far (just cantrips now, but I'm going to expand the list with higher spell-levels as I finish those). I would love some critiques and suggestions. The only things I want to make sure to have is at least one spell of every level available, and at least six cantrips per language in case any high-levels occur and a caster hasn't learned a second language.

The magic of influencing other people, this is one of the most common sources of magic in the setting and one that is often unknown by its possessors until more experienced users explain it.

Cantrips:
Blade Ward: The speaker knows how to subtly torment attackers to cause them to doubt. They find attacks not using the same force as before as hands become shaky and thoughts are clouded.

Friends: "Well, bless your heart!" A compliment or otherwise ingratiating comment that immediately causes the target to recieve an ego boost. However, they soon realize the hidden insult and assume a negative opinion of the caster.

Guidance: The words of the speaker are so persuasive, they can inspire and cause others to actually perform better.

Resistance: With the urging of the speaker, an ally is better able to resist hardships and suffering.

Spare the Dying: Not even the cold claws of Death can deflect the speaker's honeyed words. The dying are inspired to hold tight to life despite grievous wounds.

Vicious Mockery: The speaker is able to taunt and berate such that the target is mentally traumatized.

The ability to influence lesser animals. Different animals can be easier or harder to understand and command, but all can be influenced.

Cantrips:
Dancing Lights: Fireflies answer the summons, flocking and faintly illuminating at the speaker's desire.

Mage Hand: Various creatures accomplish your desires, pushing, pulling, and manipulating objects as a third hand.

Message: Intelligent birds carry your words. Ravens and such tell another your whispered words discreetly.

This is a work-in-progress, so bear with me please!