PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Looking For Monster

Thurbane
2016-08-23, 10:53 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking for a particular monster - I seem to recall an official monster that had body parts that could attack independently of the main body, while still attached to it.

From memory, the body parts (maybe tentacles?) could still move and attack even if the main body was stunned or otherwise incapacitated, and could still make attacks even if the main body was performing a different full round action that would otherwise preclude natural attacks.

Am I imagining things, or does such a beast actually exist?

Cheers - T.

ksbsnowowl
2016-08-24, 01:04 PM
There is a Sor/Wiz spell that creates two tentacles off of the casters shoulders, and they act independently of the caster. I want to say that the spell was in the PHB2, but don't recall for certain. It had one of the old-school wizard names attached to it, IIRC. Something like Otiluke's Fearsome Tentacles (that's not it, but you get the idea).

I think it was a 4th level spell.

Zanos
2016-08-24, 01:13 PM
There is a Sor/Wiz spell that creates two tentacles off of the casters shoulders, and they act independently of the caster. I want to say that the spell was in the PHB2, but don't recall for certain. It had one of the old-school wizard names attached to it, IIRC. Something like Otiluke's Fearsome Tentacles (that's not it, but you get the idea).

I think it was a 4th level spell.
Evard's Menancing Tentacles. PHBII. Level 3 for Druid, Wiz/Sor, and Spellthief.

I don't think I've ever seen the monster OP described, however.

ksbsnowowl
2016-08-24, 01:21 PM
The other possibility (warning, Spoilers for Expedition to Castle Ravenloft...)

... in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, there is a unique aberration called the Shapeless Spawn, which has several tentacle attacks. One of them is a barbed tentacle that impales the target. It continues to injure the impaled foe each round until it is removed, regardless of if the tentacle has been severed, or what the shapeless spawn does with its turns.

Inevitability
2016-08-24, 01:40 PM
Voidmind creatures? They have a psionic tentacle sprouting from their skull that attacks mostly independently of the main body.

The Viscount
2016-08-24, 07:01 PM
Going to also mention the Molydeux and Guulvorg, but i'm not sure if these are what you meant.

MisterKaws
2016-08-24, 08:11 PM
I don't think this is what you're looking for, but there's a couple of Fiendish Grafts from Fiendish Folio that add automatic claw attacks to any creature.