PDA

View Full Version : mage slayer and crossbow expert and RAW/RAI

djreynolds
2016-08-24, 12:39 AM
Mr. Crawford says in Sage Advice the second benefit of crossbow expert works with any ranged attack, spells or long bows even though the header of the feat stats, "Thanks top extensive practice with the crossbow, you gain the following benefits:"

Does this mean with regards to the mage slayer feat that second portion, "When you damage a creature that is concentrating on a spell, that creature has disadvantage on the saving throw it makes to maintain its concentration", works on any attack?

Even though here, this header stats, "You have practiced techniques useful in melee combat against spell casters, gaining the following benefits:"

I have asked this question on RAW, has anyone asked this on Sage Advice?

RickAllison
2016-08-24, 12:56 AM
Mr. Crawford says in Sage Advice the second benefit of crossbow expert works with any ranged attack, spells or long bows even though the header of the feat stats, "Thanks top extensive practice with the crossbow, you gain the following benefits:"

Does this mean with regards to the mage slayer feat that second portion, "When you damage a creature that is concentrating on a spell, that creature has disadvantage on the saving throw it makes to maintain its concentration", works on any attack?

Even though here, this header stats, "You have practiced techniques useful in melee combat against spell casters, gaining the following benefits:"

I have asked this question on RAW, has anyone asked this on Sage Advice?

I would say that yeah, Mage Slayer's effect on concentration works on your ranged attacks. In terms of why that is so, I would say it is because while the techniques were learned for melee combat (where the other parts are useful), that ability to know where/how to strike to maximize disruption of the spell is something that carries over to other methods. The same reason why someone who has learned to maximize Crossbow use in melee can figure out how to transfer the knowledge to a net. Same as how the archery sniper can use Sharpshooter's removal of penalties when he only has improvised throwing weapons. In every case, we have techniques learned for one purpose that are easily adapted to another.

NNescio
2016-08-24, 01:00 AM
I would say that yeah, Mage Slayer's effect on concentration works on your ranged attacks. In terms of why that is so, I would say it is because while the techniques were learned for melee combat (where the other parts are useful), that ability to know where/how to strike to maximize disruption of the spell is something that carries over to other methods. The same reason why someone who has learned to maximize Crossbow use in melee can figure out how to transfer the knowledge to a net. Same as how the archery sniper can use Sharpshooter's removal of penalties when he only has improvised throwing weapons. In every case, we have techniques learned for one purpose that are easily adapted to another.

Heck, it even works with Fireballs and other damaging spells even if they are keyed to saves instead of attacks. (or even if the damage is automatic).

djreynolds
2016-08-24, 01:03 AM
If this is allowed than mage slayer almost becomes a must for any sharpshooter, a ranger or battlemaster or rogue could really ruin a caster's day with the amount of damage than can do and so could a warlock.

But is this RAI/sage advice Mr Crawford, as is crossbow expert in regards to all ranged attacks?

RickAllison
2016-08-24, 01:06 AM
Heck, it even works with Fireballs and other damaging spells even if they are keyed to saves instead of attacks. (or even if the damage is automatic).

Chalk it up to subtle manipulation within the effect that disrupts casters more. Fireball could include a shockwave that throws a caster's concentration off, and Lightning Bolt could cause a concussive blast or chase muscle spasms as it rips through targets.

Gwendol
2016-08-24, 01:24 AM
There are no qualifiers regarding the type of damage done to enemy spellcasters, nor attacks. The second benefit look like it will work with spell damage as well.