PDA

View Full Version : Waspling [Creature]

The Demented One
2007-07-06, 05:34 PM
Waspling
Diminutive Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 20 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 18 (+4 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-14
Attack: Sting +2 melee (1d4-3 plus poison) or Light Crossbow +8 ranged (1d3)
Full Attack: Sting +2 melee (1d4-3 plus poison) or Light Crossbow +8 ranged (1d3)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., poison resistant, vermin empathy
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +5, Survival +4
Feats: Point Blank Shot
Environment: Temperate Forests
Organization: Solitary, cluster (3-6), swarm (10-50 plus 1-6 1st level Rangers and 1 4th-6th level Druid), hive (50-250 plus 10-25 1st-4th level Rangers and 5-15 4th-8th level Druids plus 1-4 Giant Wasps)
Challenge Rating: ½
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Neutral
Advancement: By class level (Favored Class: Ranger)
Level Adjustment: +3

Wasplings are a strange race of insect-like humanoids. They have a highly complex, caste-based society, tending to dwell in small forest encampments. They are divided into four castes–the Pyli caste, made up of workers and servants; the Taji, made up of artisans and skilled craftsmen; the Vyryl caste, the warrior caste; and the highest caste, the Kyr caste, made up of the druids who lead Waspling society. The caste system is a meritocracy, rather than a hereditary system–a Pyli drone who proves himself a competent priest and leader may find himself eventually promoted to a Kyr druid–although very, very few Wasplings ever change caste. The society is rigid in its laws an almost oppressive, and Wasplings who do not conform precisely to its standards are often expelled from the hive, and end up becoming free-roaming adventurers. Wasplings stand around 6 inches tall, and look very much like normal wasps. However, discerning observers will notice the distinctly humanoid configuration of their bodies. Wasplings speak Common and Elven, and some more intelligent Wasplings can learn to speak Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, Halfling and Sylvan.

Poison (Ex)
A Waspling’s sting delivers a numbing venom. This is an injury poison with a save DC of 11, and both initial and secondary damage of 1 Dexterity. The save is Constitution-based.

Poison Resistant (Ex)
A Waspling receives a +2 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison.

Vermin Empathy (Ex)
Wasplings can influence and improve the attitude of vermin by making a special check, rolling 1d20 + its HD + its Charisma modifier. The check functions like a Diplomacy check, but it only influences vermin. To use vermin empathy, theWaspling and the druid must be able to observe each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing a vermin in this way takes one minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. A Waspling can also use this ability to influence animals, but takes a -4 penalty on checks made to do so.

Skills
Wasplings have a +2 racial bonus on Spot and Survival checks.

PyritePyro
2007-07-07, 05:12 PM
This is a rather interesting concept. I'm wondering if the swarm is going to be the more common encounter than an individual though. Or at least a more common Encounter. What would these Wasplings do to benefit an adventuring party as individuals?

TheThan
2007-07-07, 05:18 PM
I hate it. Mostly because I have a generalized hatred of wasps, bees and other flying, stinging insects. But don’t let my irrational hatred for the little monsters get in the way of you’re homebrewing.

The Demented One
2007-07-07, 06:22 PM
This is a rather interesting concept. I'm wondering if the swarm is going to be the more common encounter than an individual though. Or at least a more common Encounter.
As encounters, I'm seeing them coming out more as individiuals or small scouting parties for the most part; at least for low level PCs.

What would these Wasplings do to benefit an adventuring party as individuals?
Well, a Waspling PC has flight, which is always a help, and his high Dex bonus and small size combined make him a pretty good ranged combatant. Alternatively, Wisdom bonus and small size make him a good Druid.

PyritePyro
2007-07-07, 09:28 PM
As encounters, I'm seeing them coming out more as individiuals or small scouting parties for the most part; at least for low level PCs.

Well, a Waspling PC has flight, which is always a help, and his high Dex bonus and small size combined make him a pretty good ranged combatant. Alternatively, Wisdom bonus and small size make him a good Druid.

Ahh, cool. Other than size, they are rather similar to a monster I'd been working on since May. Which your post reminded me that I hadn't made any progress on in a while, and it was time to post it. Mine are medium though. Really, I wasn't stealing your idea.

Matthew
2007-07-12, 09:04 PM
Not sure what I think of these. Interesting, though.