PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing a Lore Bard/Tome Warlock level 11

Degwerks
2016-08-24, 10:38 AM
I'm currently able to re-train my newly leveled Tome Lock Fiend patron into some Bard levels. I've been mostly playing him kind of like a Bard anyway for RP stuff. I just turned 11th level. I'm a Tiefling PHB version, the rest of the party is a ranged Champion fighter, Vengeance Pally, Bear Barbarian, and Dragonborn archer base Ranger. So we have 1 tank, 1 melee pally (doesn't even used or carry any ranged attacks) and 2 ranged that can switch out to melee at times.

I'm thinking very hard on going 8 Lore Bard/ 3 Tome Lock. my Dex and Cha are maxed out and AC is really good. Tome Pact spells are Thorn Whip, Shillelagh, Create Bonfire. Warlock cantrips are now Eldritch Blast and Booming Blade. Bard will be Vicious Mockery, Minor Illusion and Friends.

Skills taken will be Stealth, Perception, Acrobatics and either Insight or Investigation. I'm going to put Expertise on Perception and Persuasion (already have that).

I've gotten a Staff of the Magi as loot from a dragon's hoard so I've got access to AoE spells. We've kind of been running a high powered campaign, the dragons have spellcasting and some have class levels too.

What I'm wondering is what spells to take. I'm really looking at Phantasmal Killer for RP reasons, but I know that's kind of not optimal. Counterspell will be a must I think and I really should take the OP Banishment spell again. I've used Banishment several times to GREAT effect, got rid of a few devils once, DM ruled I could permanently banish a ghost back to the Ethereal Plane one time, some other fiend or elemental banished and I also was able to Banish a unconscious npc out of the hands of the enemy so we could drop the AOE spells on them. That spell really makes encounters easier but... knowing this I should maybe not take it...

I'd love suggestions on spells to take and any tactics you might think of.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-24, 11:10 AM
If your Dex is maxed-out, I wouldn't bother with Shillalogh- just use a rapier and save that bonus action.

Degwerks
2016-08-24, 12:26 PM
If your Dex is maxed-out, I wouldn't bother with Shillelagh- just use a rapier and save that bonus action.

Well my Dex is maxed out, my Cha is actually higher due to a Tome I've read And I carry a staff of the Magi... so if I do want to smack someone, they get smacked pretty hard.

Heat Metal & Dissonant Whispers are on my must have list. Blindness as well.

Any other thoughts?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-24, 02:10 PM
Phantasmal Force looks amazingly fun.

Degwerks
2016-08-24, 02:40 PM
Phantasmal Force looks amazingly fun.

Everyone seems to get more mileage out of that spell than I have. It's either been my lack of creativeness or just too situational for my use. I truly wish it scaled in damage though. Int save is great though but weak in dmg.

Maybe that's why i'd like to give Phantasmal Killer a shot. Not many options for psychic dmg to choose from.