PDA

View Full Version : Heroes' Fall

Bryconium
2016-08-24, 11:32 AM
You had fought your way into the lair of the nascent demon lord Kuvalesh. Allies and friends had fallen around you, but you finally managed to breach his inner sanctum, alone but for your goddess. You found Kuvalesh peering into a strange green orb that seemed to twist and warp in slight ways. Unlike most demons, Kuvalesh looked disturbingly human, but terribly wrong. His limbs and fingers were far too long, and contained far too many joints. He stood a good foot over you, bald with dull grey skin and milky white eyes. This is the foe you had been pursuing for months, and he was final in your grasp. As you fought with Kuvalesh the light of Sarenrae flowed through you, guiding your strikes as you clashed with this warped demon. Through some miracle you managed to gain the upper hand, driving Kuvalesh back against the wall. However, you hear something behind you, a low whining sound. As you instinctively look over your shoulder, you see the orb spinning. As the spinning gets faster and faster the whining gets louder and louder, reaching a point where the sound is unbearable, and then the sound gets louder. Blood bursts from your ears, eyes and nose as you hear Kuvalesh’s choked laughter from where he is slumped against the wall, seemingly suffering the same pain you are. As the whining reaches its crescendo the floor falls away and you find yourself falling in darkness. As you reach terminal velocity you feel yourself burning as fire bursts around you. You feel your weapons and equipment being stripped from you as you fall. You quickly see trees before you slam into the ground. You bounce once, and then plow through the ground, coming to a stop when you slam into a tree. As you lie there, struggling to stay conscious, you wonder where you are. Looking around, you can tell you are in a dense forest. You can see broken ground, rocks, and trees around you, destroyed by your fall. You feel drained and grievously injured.

Due to the fall and the battle with Kuvalesh, you are at 10 hitpoints and have your movement speed reduced by 10ft feet for now. In addition, you are don't have any spell slots above 4th left.

Genth
2016-08-24, 03:41 PM
Khosh lies there for almost a minute, blinking up at the trail of destruction his re-entry left. He tries to get up, lets out a groan of pain, and slips back onto the tree, silent for a few moments more.

"Well... that's not what I exactly call a 'happy landing'!" he says, to no-one in particular, before chuckling at his own joke and lifting a hand to his side. For a moment, he closes his eyes and concentrates on the light of the sun. His hand glimmers with light, and warm, healing energy flows into him.

[roll0]
*edit* current HP=33

Khosh gets to his feet, looking around the trees, swimming in his clouded gaze, and a frown flickers across his features. "Well, this 'aint Mendev any more..." he murmurs to himself, patting himself down to see what, if anything he still has. Nothing save for the tattered remains of his tabard and cloak. He blinks, and then starts to stride off in one direction, keeping close attention to the trees - if they get denser, he's likely to be heading deeper into the forest, if they are more scattered, he is entering a more open space.

Bryconium
2016-08-24, 04:27 PM
As you wander through the woods you notice the trees, though still thick, seem to be thinning out. The underbrush makes walking difficult, but you are tough enough to push through without much trouble. The trees rise up around you, forming a green canopy over you as the sunlight streams through. By your guess it’s about 10 in the morning. After about an hour of walking, you hear the sounds of a river in the distance. And with another ten minutes you reach the river. The river extends beyond the reach of your sight, streaming in an eastern direction. There is no shore as such to the river, just a thin bank with a steep drop off. You also here a masculine voice down the river, out of the range of your darkvision. The voice shouts again, but you can’t understand the words.

Perception check to get a better read on the voice's location.

Genth
2016-08-24, 05:00 PM
[roll0]

Khosh stops at the riverbank, and takes a moment to gaze upwards at the sun, letting the morning rays brush over his face. He'd been fighting in the worldwound for a while. It had been some time since he had felt sunlight that wasn't tainted by Abyssal energies, and he smiles, before a flicker of worry moves across his face. The feeling just isn't the same, something... missing.

Then he turns towards the voice, head tilted slightly as he tries to make out the language being spoken. Summoning up a flash of power, he sends divine magic running through his mind, to allow him to understand the meaning behind those words

He's casting Tongues on himself

Bryconium
2016-08-24, 05:48 PM
"Hello! Hello! Are you alright?"
Meaning floods your mind as the divine power courses through you. Though you still can't understand the words, you understand the meaning. As you cast your spell he stumbles into view. You can tell he's been running to catch up to you. He's older, about 60 by your guess, with a balding head and a neat beard. He wears a strange symbol around his neck, an eye bisected by a vertical line. As he stops to catch his breath, he says,
Did you see the meteors? I came out to investigate, and with you so near where one landed, I was wondering if you saw anything?"
He takes a second to look over your clothes and battered body.
"You really don't look good son. Maybe I can help, I have some healing magic."

Genth
2016-08-24, 06:02 PM
Khosh looks towards the man for a moment, before settling into a small smile, glancing down at himself to follow the other's gaze. "Yes, friend. I was.. hurt by the meteor event, but I should be alright, you should save your magic in case others are more hurt then me" He pulls himself upright before grimacing and wobbling slightly where he stands. "My name is Khosh. I seem to find myself lost, if you don't mind, might I ask where I am?" He takes a few steps forwards, wincing as his leg twinges. Then he laughs. "Actually, a walking stick would be useful as well, I'd be grateful" He waves a hand in front of his eyes. "My eyes are not what they were in my youth!"

Bryconium
2016-08-24, 08:37 PM
Seeing your eyes, he comes over to you, offering you his staff.
"Here, take mine. I'll help you back to the village. The area is really isolated anyway, and I can't leave you out here all alone in good consciousness."
He pauses, frowns, and looks over your wounds again.
Pardon my asking stranger, but what were you doing out there? You know that these woods are the Faeries, don't you?

Genth
2016-08-24, 08:48 PM
Khosh takes the staff and uses it to right himself, shifting slightly until he finds the right balance. "You are kind, sir." he says, moving to his full height and looking around before nodding to the man. "I will seek to repay your kindness when I can. For now, I am grateful for you showing me the way to a safe place. As for my reasons to be here..." He pauses for a moment, unwilling to lie, but aware of the fact that too much information right now would just be confusing. "It is quite a tale, and not one that I can easily talk about here, nor to those who I do not know. Mystery breeds suspicion I know, but I would ask you to be patient." He smiles and inclines his head. "But I thank you for warning me about.. the Faeries, was it? I am unfamiliar with what you're talking about."

Bryconium
2016-08-24, 10:22 PM
Seeming to accept your answer, the man nods and extends his hand.
"Alright, I guess a man's entitled to his secrets, and you need help besides. I'm Derek Aldoman, the priest of Moorik. It's a village at the mouth of this river, on Greenfall Lake. As to the Faeries... how to put this? They are nature spirits, but not like the ones the witches worship. They are especially powerful in wild places like this. Tricksy creatures, they play their games and care nothing for mortal life, or their lives besides. Though I suppose they do follow this weird code of theirs, but damn me if I can understand it."

He offers you his should to help you walk.
"Come on, Lets get you to my house. Moorik is just about five miles down the river. The wife made a hearty fish stew last night, there should still be some left. We can talk more once we get to my home."

If you permit him, Derek will start leading you down the river.

Genth
2016-08-24, 10:31 PM
"You are gracious, Derek. And your offer of hospitality is gratefully accepted!" Khosh says, grasping the man's hand and shaking it firmly. He starts off alongside Derek, the staff held tightly in his right hand as he walks. "These Faeries sound dangerous to most... Power without morality or compassion?" Khosh takes in his surroundings as he walks, feeling the sun on his skin and wishing he had a few more minutes of sungazing sight left. But the battle took much out of him, and he needed rest. "A man in service to the Gods." He remarks, glancing at the symbol around Derek's neck. "I too serve a higher power. Sarenrae, the Dawnflower, Goddess of Redemption and Light.. have you heard of Her?" he asks, cheerfully.

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 01:25 AM
Derek leads you down the riverbank. You can hear the water rushing along the stream, seemingly flowing with melt. The light of the sun shines down on both you, and though you feel the heat, it isn't much. You'd guess from the temperature and the rushing river that it is early spring here, which is odd as you remember it being fall when you fought Kuvalesh. Unfortunately, the sun only provides heat, nothing more.

"Aye, Faeries are dangerous, though fortunately the mostly keep to themselves. Don't like cold iron much either."
When you mention the name Sarenrae Derek looks at you oddly.
"Saren... what? The god of the sun is Athuris! Where do they call him Sarenrae?"
He chuckles to himself, "Hehehe, you must have hit your head pretty hard. As for myself Helena, goddess of community, healing and fertility."

Genth
2016-08-25, 01:36 AM
Khosh feels the cool air move over him as he strolls beside Derek, falling deep into contemplation for a few minutes, quite silent aside from the sound of steps and birdsong around. He doesn't answer Derek's question for some time, simply walking and enjoying the movement. Eventually, however, he replies, voice low and soft. "Sarenrae, a Goddess, and not one Whom has ever gone by the name Athuris. Then again, I am clearly in a far away land... and I can't feel Her touch like I used to..." Another long interlude of walking, before he speaks again to ask: "But tell me about the Divine Helena, Her name is new to me as well, but if a soul like yourself is in service, She must also be a kind Goddess"

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 12:03 PM
The path is widening a bit as you continue walking, however the trees are still thick and you can't see much ahead of you. Eventually the steep bank gives way to a shore and the travel becomes a lot easier on both of you.

He gives you an odd look as you talk about Sarenrae, but seemingly shrugs it off.
It looks like he relishes the chance to talk about his god.
Ah Helena, her gospels do indeed preach kindness. We her followers don't give her any fancy titles or what-not like the other god's disciples have. Unlike her siblings, she wasn't given to great displays of power and stirring rhetoric. Her gospels tell us, her faithful, to look over the community, to help it grow into something more than the sum of its parts. I suppose that makes her a little like the Imperial Divine, but Helena isn't a warmonger. Peace is the greatest gift we have. At least that's what the holy books say. I'm not a learned man, I just try to do what's right, and I suppose that is all that my goddess wants.
What about you? What does this Saren...ra mean to you?"

Genth
2016-08-25, 03:59 PM
Khosh's stride becomes longer as the path widens, keeping an easy pace alongside Derek. The Half-Orc is an attentive listener, head tilted slightly as he looks over to the other, a look of concentration on his face as he takes in the description of Helena. He nods in agreement when Derek talks about a community being more than the sum of its parts, and gives a small noise of approval. "She sounds like a fine Goddess to follow. An army may be able to build barricades.. but it takes communities to build a nation." he remarks. He ponders your question for a time before replying.

"The Dawnflower, as Sarenrae is oft known, is both kind and strong. She is both a Warrior Goddess, as well as a Goddess of Healing..." He stops here a moment, looking down and thinking for a time, before wandering over to a nearby tree branch, as thick as a man's wrist. He places the staff to the side, and with an easy twist, breaks the branch in two. "I am a strong man, Derek." he says, picking up the staff again and starting to walk once more. "And Sarenrae tells us what to do with that strength. Not to lead, nor to force others towards Good, but to serve. When we see Evil, we have a choice to make - to cut it down, engaging in the destruction that Evil so loves, or to seek to help a soul towards redemption... and it takes strength to be able to make either choice when needed. Redemption should be offered to all, but Evil should not be allowed to hurt others. So I come with both an axe and a healing touch." At this, Khosh falls silent for a moment more, before straightening and repeating a line of his code: "Each day is another step toward perfection. I will not turn back into the dark".

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 06:26 PM
Derek considers this for a moment, then nods and says,
“Even if I don’t know your goddess I can understand you, at least a little. I’ve seen strange things in my time, I suppose this is no different. What matters now is that you get some rest, the future can wait. Come on, Moorik isn’t much farther, just about ten minutes now.”
Derek’s estimate is right, and you both soon arrive in Moorik. It’s almost noon now, and the village is bustling with men and woman going about their business. Though your sight is limited, you’d estimate that the village has about a thousand inhabitants. Many of the villagers stop and stare at you, but no one stops you as Derek leads you to the church. He brings you inside a small but sturdy house. You can smell the fish-stew simmering in the pot as a woman a bit younger than Derek stirs. She looks up as you enter and is startled at your appearance, though she quickly notices your wounds and asks,
“Derek, who is this man? Was he hurt by the meteor?”

Genth
2016-08-25, 06:34 PM
Khosh chuckles slightly at this "Oh, I'm sure we could swap stories on strange things for a good few nights with ample drink in hand, Derek" before nodding in reply and picking up the pace as they enter into the village, the Paladin swinging his limited gaze up and down the street, inclining his head politely to people as they pass. "I get the sense large, muscular men in rags walking with a staff aren't terribly common in these parts" he notes good-humoredly, a note of mirth in his manner. As soon as they enter the house, Khosh bows deeply to the woman. "I am Khosh, housema'am. Derek helped me, for which I am very grateful. May I come in?" he asks, beaming at the woman.

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 07:27 PM
Looking from you to her husband, the woman steps forward to shake your hand,
"Welcome to our home then Khosh. I'm Alva, Derek's wife. You look like you could do with a good meal."
She prepares a bowl of the fish stew and hands it to you while pulling out a chair at the table.
"Here, take a seat."
She also pours you a cup of beer.
"Whatever happened to you out in those woods really did a number on you. I'd tell you to let my husband heal you, but I'd guess you'll be right as rain with some food and sleep."
When you shake her hand you instantly notice the strength and calluses. While Derek had a strong grip, these are clearly the hands of a warrior.
The stew is rich and hearty, with large chunks of fish, potato and onions as well as other vegetables. It's also well salted and seasoned. The beer is dark and thick.

Genth
2016-08-25, 07:38 PM
"Well met, Alva. It is a pleasure" Khosh replies, returning the firm handshake with a grin, and taking the bowl with a bow of his head. He takes a few bites, and sinks back, eyes closed and a look of ecstasy on his features. "Alva, it has been five months since I have had a meal cooked on a hearth, as opposed to a campfire. You've made a very happy man here, just after the first spoonful" He says before digging in again with gusto, taking a swig of beer. He eats smoothly, and politely, but unmistakably hungrily. The sun may allow him to survive without food, to let his body surge with solar energy (and obviously, several of his friends in the past could not stop making jokes about him being a plant) but his stomach and senses still found joy in simple, delectable foods. "Thank you, Alva, Derek. You have been most kind. I will return this kindness any way I can but first.." He stands, and bows his head to the pair. "I need information, I need to know more about where I am, and for that to make sense... I need to tell you some things. Will you promise to keep my story a secret? At least for now?

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 08:12 PM
The couple look at each other for but a moment, then nod and turn back to you,
"Of course we will Khosh, you have nothing to fear from us." Derek says as Alva gets up and closes the window. She then hangs an iron talisman over the window and mumbles a quick prayer before returning to her seat, eyes fixed on you.
"Whenever you're ready, Khosh."

Genth
2016-08-25, 08:45 PM
Khosh is silent for a few minutes as he gathers his thoughts, sitting down and placing his hands together in his lap. When he does speak, it is in a low, careful tone. "Scant hours ago, at least by my own perception, I was in a place called the Worldwound, a rent in the fabric of the world leading to the Abyss - the plane of demons and their filthy ilk. I am a warrior of Sarenrae, a Paladin in other words, and was bound to destroy such evil wherever it came. I had arrived at the fortress of a particularly foul demon who's name I shall not countenance speaking. It cast some sort of spell in it's final moments, and I found myself falling through the sky, burning, with my armor and weapons stripped from me... " he chuckles softly here before adding. "I was the meteor which fell. I.. suspect I am very far from my original position. My Goddess... feels far away, though Her power still runs through me, as if there were some great veil between us. He stops here, looking towards the closed window before fixing the couple with a long stare. "The world on which I lived was called "Golarion" by the wisest. What do you call the world you live upon and.. do you have a map of it?"

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 08:55 PM
After you finish your story, Derek rubs his chin and says,
“Well now, that is quite the tale. Our world was named Tavus by the gods when they first walked upon it. As to a map, we don’t have one but…
“There were two.” Alva interrupts.
"...What?"
“Two meteors; well, technically three. One that landed in the forest, which I assume was you, Khosh. One that broke off from you, which landed in the mountains. And one that fell far off to the west. It had been falling as long as you were, and was about the same size as you.”

Genth
2016-08-25, 09:03 PM
Khosh's eyes widen as he hears this, and he almost surges to his feet. "Two? No..." he says, looking down at his legs, and shaking his head. "How far to the west, Alva? If.. something came through the rift with me, then there could be a significant danger." Khosh starts to get to his feet, winces, and sits back down. "Before you say it, yes, I know I need to rest. I cannot face an enemy like this." He laughs at this, sinking back into the chair and shaking his head. "And here I was hoping I might be able to have a holiday..."

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 09:24 PM
"Fortunately, it didn't fall anywhere near here, I'd estimate at least a hundred miles to the west. That would put it squarely in the Marinval Empire. If this demon fell with you he'll likely be as injured or as drained as you are. He'll have to lay low for the time being, so you have some time. You'll stay here tonight and we'll introduce you to Lord Albert tomorrow. With any luck he'll be able to help you, if only with crossing the border."

Derek nods in agreement and says,
She's right, it is best to try and rest right now and worry about your demon later."
He leans in closer to you as he says,
It seems that you had a close relationship with you god back on Golarion. It must be disheartening to lose that connection, I can only imagine. However, it's no wonder you can't feel her on Tavus, none of us have felt our gods for over five thousand years."

Genth
2016-08-25, 09:38 PM
Khosh nods, and settles back into the chair, fingers across his stomach again, and eyes half-closed. "Thank you for your hospitality, Alva." He says, sinking into deep thought. He turns to Derek, head tilted slightly and replies "You will have to elucidate that over the next few hours, Derek. I am quite curious about your world" He stands up, stretching his arms out even as he winces. "Now then, if I am to be your guest, I would wish to offer some help. What can I do for the afternoon to earn my place by the fireside?" he asks, smiling.

Fine with a time skip here if you want - Khosh is willing to do chores, housework and the like over the afternoon, and isn't above 'grunt work'. He'd also be talking to Derek and Alva about their own lives, the life in the village, and religion.

He will also explain the langiage barrier before his tongues spell runs out, then spend some time trying to pick up as much of the language as he can. If needed, he will recast Tongues

Bryconium
2016-08-25, 10:30 PM
Alva quickly puts you to work chopping, explaining that this exercise will do your muscles good. She gives you free access to the well, to keep you hydrated. As to the language barrier, Alva promises to teach you some common phrases before she goes hunting. Derek goes to the church to receive the parishioners while Alva sits out with you sewing while do her best to teach you. After about an hour she grabs her bow and disappears into the woods. Occasionally Derek comes by to check on you, making sure you are still feeling alright. As you move about with repetitive chores the day passes. Alva comes back around four, with a turkey slung over her back and immediately gets to cooking. Soon the turkey is turning on a spit and she calls you in to help her cut some vegetables as she teaches you more of the local dialect, which she calls marin. Eventually dinner is ready and all three of you eat the delicious meal. After eating, Derek lights a pipe and says,
"Alright Khosh, ask any questions you have. We'll do our best to answer."

From making small-talk with Alva and Derek you learn that Derek isn't from this country, which is called Nalvia. He is actually a native of the Marinval Empire, from the region Hilsgaard, far up north. Alva is a native, and though the people do worship the same gods, Nalvia is much more primal, and have many rituals and festivals related to appeasing and honoring the Faeries and the Witches who supposedly rule in the East. Derek and Alva have been married for about thirty years now, with a son who is the captain of the guards for Lord Albert. Though Derek is a foreigner, Alva's brother is the mayor of the village, so she is from an old, respectable family. While Derek runs the church, Alva is the head of Moorik's militia. Moorik is mainly a fishing and farming village, on the edge of civilized land before the wilds. Moorik is an old, old village, existing on the edge of the wilds for centuries, keeping to itself. The lake, Greenfall, is rich with fish, shellfish, and other animals, which Alva attributes to the blessing of the Faeries. Derek, surprisingly, doesn't know much about religion beyond what he told you. It would seem that he is more concerned with helping his village than actual religious learning or philosophy. You do manage to catch that he holds a great disdain for the religion of the Marinval Empire, which he calls the Northern Orthodoxy.

Roll two linguistics checks to see how much you picked up.

Genth
2016-08-25, 10:43 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

The simplicity of the tasks suit Khosh well, and he steadily makes his way through the wood and chores with a friendly demeanor. He seems interested when Alva mentions a militia - unusual for an apparently peaceful village, and asks about their tactics, how they split their time between their daily needs and training for fights. Likewise, he asks politely about the rift in religion, all too aware of how rifts can tear people apart. "There is a clan of worshipers of Sarenrae, the Dawnflower Cult, who focus far too much on the scimitar and not upon redemption. Many who could have been brought to the light have died by their hands. But they mean well, and wish to do good in the world. It is sad how doctrine can divide people." he remarks, during the conversation. Still, Khosh is a good conversationalist, and not in the least preachy. He explains his thoughts on things when asked, but otherwise is content to learn and listen.

Bryconium
2016-08-26, 02:35 AM
When you ask about the militia Alva laughs and says,
"It may look pleasant, but this is the edge of civilization. Out in the forests and mountains though the Faeries rule, and only a fool isn't prepared to fight them. Plus, with their stupid code, sometimes they just let gnolls march right on through. It doesn't hurt to be prepared. As for training, well guns don't take much work."

When you ask about his issues with the Northern Orthodoxy, Derek takes a long drag on his pipe and stays silent for a while. As he final exhales, he says,
Unlike much of the rest of the world, who honor all the gods in at least some manner, the Northern Orthodoxy honors one god as supreme. They exalt the Imperial Divine above all others, declaring her teachings as absolute, rather than as part of a whole. Talia, the Imperial Divine, is the goddess of empires, conquest, and victory, and the Northern Orthodoxy uses her teachings as the justification for their wars and their expansion. They claim to be building a united, safe empire for the people, but all we do is live in fear of the Empress and her imperial armies."

Genth
2016-08-26, 04:13 PM
Khosh tilts his head at the mention of the word "Guns". "I have heard the term before, but have never seen a 'Gun' in action as it happens. Perhaps tomorrow I could see?" he asks Alva, smiling. Then he clicks his fingers "Ah, and they would be particularly useful against these Faeries, if they are weak against cold iron!"

To Derek, he nods in reply "To link the Gods and earthly political power is always a bad sign, and one where the ears are closed against other arguments.." he sighs. "To try and rid the world of the sights and cultures you can meet... I am a traveller by nature, and the idea of a world united under one culture is.. heh, aside from everything else, it sounds so boring!"

The half-orc looks outside, and nods to himself. "I should probably rest... thank you for the meal and conversation"

Bryconium
2016-08-26, 07:01 PM
With that, they show you to your room and go off the sleep. As night falls you wonder about this strange world you find yourself in. In the morning you feel refreshed. Though your body has not fully healed, you can feel familiar magic flowing through your body. However, the magic without the touch of Sarenrae feels wrong to you.
After you all eat breakfast Alva gets her boat to bring you to Lord Albert's keep. Unless you have anything else you'd like to do in the village, she'll start bringing you across the lake. Derek bids you goodbye and good luck.

From your lessons yesterday you've managed to pick up how to say "Hello," "Goodbye," "My name is Khosh,"as well as a few common words.

Genth
2016-08-28, 12:26 AM
Khosh will have used up the last of his sub-4th level spells to heal himself as much as possible. How much more healing does he need?

The half-orc bows deeply to Derek before leaving; "I want to thank you again for your hospitality, Derek. It bodes well that my first encounter on your world was with such a kind soul." he says, before grasping Derek's arm with his, a strong gesture of solidarity and comradelyness. "I don't know if I will return, but if you should ever send me a message, I shall remember your name."

With that, he moves to the boat to join Alva, looking up to the sun again with a slightly sad look on his features.

Bryconium
2016-08-28, 02:53 PM
The two of you cross the lake, making idle conversation as you row. You reach the other-side in about an hour, your powerful strokes gliding the boat across the water. You arrive at the town of Dagna on the southwestern side of the lake, where Alva lets you off.
"Alright Khosh, if you just follow the road you'll reach Lord Albert's keep. Tell the guards that Alva sent you, and give them this." She presses a sealed letter into your hand." "It's a letter of introduction, it should at least get you an audience. Lord Albert is a hard man, but fair, and he should help you. Best of luck to you, I hope you find the answers you seek."
With that she pushes off again, and you find yourself in Dagna. much larger than Moorik, merchants and citizens bustle around the docks, hawking their wares and making their purchases. Town guards patrol the streets, breaking up fights and keeping order.
You are completely healed now.

Genth
2016-09-01, 07:04 PM
Khosh stands for a moment after Alva leaves, eyes raking across the town before him. Alone for a moment, his features take on a saddened cast, the brief flicker of simplicity behind him now. Almost reflexively he looks towards the west, towards the threat, before settling the staff more firmly in his grasp. He looks upwards, staring into the sun for a few seconds, and lets it's odd not-warmth flow into him. For a moment he tries to see through the sunlight, to see the town and the world around him. Light pierces the clouds within his eyes and he manages a flash, a few seconds of sight return to him, giving him a bird's eye view of the town and the surrounding land, from almost a full mile into the sky. The insight comes only for a moment though, before the connection withers.

Khosh tried to use a minute of his Sungazer Ability. It worked, he can still see through the sun, but the connection was much more difficult to maintain, and so only got a few seconds (1 round) of sight instead of a minute. Full disclosure, I expect him to eventually regain the full use of the Sungazer ability, but he needs to be more comfortable and attached to this world first :)

With a sigh, the half-orc pulls his cloak around him, tightens his grip on the staff, and sets off towards the keep, keeping his stature slightly hunched, and the cloak hanging from his shoulders, to diminish his presence and to give the impression of an older man, making his way purposefully towards the keep. When he comes to the entrance, he presents the letter to one of the guards with a nod of his head, and says, "My name is Khosh Dulgat. Alva sent me to meet the Lord Albert"

Bryconium
2016-09-01, 09:23 PM
As you project your mind’s eye through the sunlight, color washes over you. The land is a vibrant green, with forest spreading all around Dagna. The Greenfall is massive, you can’t even see the other side. Dagna is an odd combination of well ordered and haphazard, with a neat center of town with more buildings sprawling out into the surrounding distance. You can see boats on the lake and farms around the town. In addition, at the edge of your sight, you see a relatively small but well built keep about half a mile from town.

You approach a guard leaning on his spear by the docks. As you present the letter he looks you up and down, still leaning on your spear. He takes a while before responding,

“Well, if Alva sent you, then you should be able to get into the keep at least. But m’lords not here, gone off hunting in his woods. Still, his keeps over that way, if you want to go.”

He gestures off down the road but doesn’t make any other moves.

Genth
2016-09-01, 09:26 PM
Khosh nods to the guard and turns, starting to make his way towards the Keep. For now, the Paladin wishes to keep himself comparatively quiet, and waiting for the Lord to return seems like the best option.

Bryconium
2016-09-01, 10:15 PM
You swiftly leave Dagna behind as you head for the keep. Though the keep is close to the town as the crow flies, you swiftly realize that the keep is deceptively far from town, on top of a large hill that the road twists and turns up. It takes about and hour to get there. As you travel, you pass several townsfolk going about their business. Most ignore you, though a few give you strange looks as you pass by. One soldier on a horse stops you, but quickly moves on once you show him the letter, seemingly satisfied. Eventually you reach the gate, where a guardsman stops you.
This man is much more professional than the other soldiers you met, standing at attention holding a long wooden stick with a trigger of all things.
Again you produce the letter, and again it quickly gets you past the guard. Before you enter the keep through the open gate, he tells you that the lord is expected back tomorrow morning, and to ask Bernard about a room.

You enter the yard of the keep. For such a small fort it seems to have a dedicated military force, as you see about fifty or so men-at-arms and about five knights training with all manner of weapons. You also notice two men, apart from the others, fighting each other. From what you can see the two are clearly skilled fighters. You also notice that they are being watched by a well-dressed woman.

Genth
2016-09-02, 04:01 AM
The Half-Orc moves into the field, towards the knights in their drills, and, taking a position one side of the field away from the woman, leans on his staff to watch the fighting, head tilted as he studies their movements, trying to gague their ability. With no Bernard in obvious view, and no particular rush with the Lord away for such a time, he contents himself with studying the regular, almost soothing movements of practice. After a while, he turns and moves across one side, then the other, coming up close to where the woman watches. "They have beautiful movements, do they not, m'Lady?"

Bryconium
2016-09-02, 03:28 PM
You maneuver your way through the the yard, towards the woman. She notices you coming, and makes no effort to move away as you approach her.

She gives you a small smile of pride as you compliment the knight's skill, turning slightly towards you.

"They do indeed, Chelish Knights are some of the finest in the world. I did not catch your name though, Ser." She turns to face you more completely. Though you obviously are no mere traveler yourself, are you? What brings you here?" She asks. Though you can't understand her words, you know that she speaks with a far different accent than anyone you've spoken to. "You clearly can't speak Marin, what language would you be comfortable speaking."

She's much shorter than you, around 5'4". She has long, black hair that falls to the small of her back, simply braided.

If you want, you can roll a perception check to see if you can gleam anything about her or your surroundings.

Genth
2016-09-03, 02:54 PM
Perception roll: [roll0]
Short post, as I have suspicions about this and want to see what the perception says before I finish this post

"Khosh Dulgat, my Lady" he replies, inclining his head to her.

Bryconium
2016-09-03, 06:54 PM
Though much shorter than you, this woman stands proud, exuding an aura of nobility from just her bearing. She 's wearing a beautiful, artfully made dress. You manage to catch from just the small movements she makes that she moves with a dancer's grace, and upon closer inspection you notice hidden slits running up the length of the skirt, allowing for a far wider range of movement than her outfit would normally allow. She doesn't carry any weapon that you can see on her, but has a strange glass orb about eight inches in diameter on her right hip. Over her heart she has a small coat-of-arms, a crowned tree, stitched into her dress. On her left shoulder she has a finely made leather pauldron of sorts, with numerous claw marks on it, probably from a bird. She seemed slightly surprised to see you, but not from any sort of recognition. She seems to have noticed how you carry yourself, and realizes that you aren't some common traveler or adventurer.

You also notice that to two knights have all but stopped fighting, and are doing a few very simple maneuvers while having moved much closer to you and the woman.

Genth
2016-09-04, 12:04 AM
After a moment, and a thought, Khosh tries another tact - he switches to the celestial tongue. "Mine natural tongue is unlikely to be known, my Lady, but a thought doth occur to mine mind, that thou might haveth this tongue, the language of the Angels themselves?" he asks, politely. Which is hard not to do in Celestial.

Bryconium
2016-09-04, 02:53 PM
She raises her eyebrows in surprise as you speak celestial, but responds in kind, the words flowing from her mouth like liquid song. You can definitely understand her words, though your tongues spell does have to translate a word or two for you.

"Very well, though your dialect is odd, this should suffice. This only serves to increase my curiosity though, I've never heard such a divergent dialect of celestial before."

Genth
2016-09-04, 03:27 PM
"You have come across the phrase "A traveler from a distant land"? I am an extreme example." Khosh replies, beaming broadly at having found someone he can talk to without resorting to magic. He leans on his staff, watching the two knights with a bemused look as the 'train'. "As for why I am here, it is a matter I am bound to speak of to the Lord first. A practice field is no place for potentially discomforting subjects. Especially with such eager and attentive listeners" he says, winking at the pair of knights. He lets out a laugh at this, and seems to visibly grow, becoming more comfortable with the setting. "Please, don't let me disturb your practice, noble sers. I am simply waiting for your Lord to return, and as you can see, have only a staff and clothes." he calls out, letting the spell once again direct his words and slipping into the local language again.

Bryconium
2016-09-04, 04:11 PM
The two knights glare at you as the woman laughs.

"Oh don't mind them, they are just doing their duty to protect me. They don't trust anyone who comes near me, you should see them in the cities, glaring at every random passerby and dignitary I meet."
She turns to the two men, speaking in a different language,
"Leave us in peace, go do your devotions and I'll join you shortly."
They bow to her, "Yes, My lady," and leave, walking into the the main keep.
The woman turns back to you,
I am Julia Valroy, of Ardemount in Cheliax, and those two men are assigned to protect me. You see, we are travelers here to, though not as strange as you are apparently. She gives you are warm smile,
Still, it is clear you are no ordinary man. I'll not bother you about why you've come, not yet at least, but I imagine it has something to do with the meteors. Should you want someone to talk to, come find me. I would imagine you have many questions, and I'll admit to no small curiosity about you."

Genth
2016-09-04, 05:32 PM
At the word "Cheliax", Khosh's eyes widen and the grip on his staff tightens. His gaze on the Lady slips for a moment to a spot a few inches to the right of her head, as if he was trying to focus on something different..

Paladin's Special, Detect Evil!!

"I see." he says, voice with just the slightest tinge of wariness now. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Lady Valdroy of Cheliax. Your guardians appear to be cleaving well to their duty, which is good. I thank you for your offer, and I shall certainly take the opportunity to chat about our respective homelands, should the opportunity arise." He looks over the field again. "You couldn't point me in the direction of one Bernard could you?"

Bryconium
2016-09-04, 10:34 PM
You send out your divine senses over her shoulder, but detect nothing. When you turn your gaze back to Julia, all traces of friendly have gone from her expression, replaced by a stony visage.
I assure you no imp follows me Ser, I am no devotee of the Lord of Hell myself. She turns to leave, Bernard will be in the main hall.
With that she stalks away from you, following after her two guards.

Genth
2016-09-04, 11:21 PM
Khosh stands silently for a time, deep in thought. Such a name echoing across the vast distances... but she seemed, while powerful, not touched by the forces of Evil. And his worry and reaction had potentially cost friendship. He turns his gaze upwards again, peering towards the sun with its not-warmth. It was at times like this he wondered why the gods saw fit to grant Paladins such an ability, as indelicate as it is.

"Nothing for it, I suppose" me murmurs to himself in the Golarion Common tongue, and turns to head to the main hall, seeking out this Bernard.

Bryconium
2016-09-05, 01:24 AM
The main hall is a relatively small room, with only a banners and works of art for decoration. At the far end of the hall sits a raised stone dais with a small wooden throne on top, placed in front of a large window overlooking the lake. Various servants bustle around, attending to their chores. After asking a passing servant, you are able to quickly locate Bernard. He is an elderly man, around 70 years old, wearing fine green clothes as he goes over accounts with an assistant while eating his lunch. Once again Alva's letter gets you quick service, though Bernard does seem more reluctant to assist you than the others. Nevertheless, he has a serving-man bring you to a small room and tells you that you can get some food from the kitchen if you please. He also tells you that Lord Albert will be back either late tonight or early tomorrow.
You find yourself alone in a small, windowless cell. Though the sun of this world feels strange to you, you aren't comfortable with its absence. Or perhaps, despite your reverence of Sarenrae and the sun, you welcome the respite from the doubt and worry this new sun brings you.
You are free to do anything you might want to do around the keep. When you're ready, we'll skip to Lord Albert's arrival.

Genth
2016-09-08, 05:13 PM
Khosh spends the afternoon wandering the keep, mostly keeping to the practice fields. Should he get the chance, he tries to watch the gun-wielders drill, to understand how their weaponry works as well. However, he doesn't take dinner, and as soon as the sun descends, he moves to his cell to wait for the Lord to return.

Bryconium
2016-09-13, 04:53 PM
You spend your day watching the soldiers drill, and though the actual mechanics of it escape you, you do manage to gain a basic understanding on how loading works, as well as the disciplined formations that the infantry fight in to maximize damage. Eventually the sun goes down and you retreat back to your room, with Lord Albert still having not arrived.

You are awakened early the next morning around 6 by the sound of horns. Arriving outside you see five men on horseback, with the leader on a beautiful white horse, dressed in fine leather armor. He is talking quietly to Bernard at this time, and he has a sack thrown over the back of his horse.

Genth
2016-09-13, 05:15 PM
Khosh moves across the field, making an effort to lean on his staff perhaps a little more than necessary, towards the Lord and his retinue. He takes the opportunity to look up towards the sun, eyes closing for a moment as he takes in the cold morning light. The half-orc comes to a halt, about twenty feet away from the man and Bernard, respectfully waiting for their conversation to finish before raising a hand in greeting.

"Hail, Lord Albert. Apologies for accosting you so soon on your return, but my matter is somewhat important, at least in my own gaze. I am Khosh Dulgat, and I seek to speak with you."

Bryconium
2016-09-14, 05:23 PM
As you approach the lord, you noticed that his horse is lathered, as if from a hard ride. It would seem that Albert approached the castle with haste. Albert himself stands at a height with you, making him rather tall for a human. He appears to be in his late twenties, with a fine, chiseled face and long hair. He looks you up and down before speaking, in a surprisingly angry tone.
So you are the traveler Bernard was speaking of. A mysterious man from Moorik, who despite all appearances carries himself like a great warrior. I make it my business to know what goes on in these lands, but you seemed to have escaped my notice until now. And now the faeries are all agitated like I've never seen."
He walks back over to his horse, ripping open the sack and letting what looks like half a deer tumble to the ground. The carcass doesn't look like it was torn apart though; but rather the flesh of its torso looks like it melted. The poor creature has scars with the same melted look across it's chest, neck and legs. And as a final, sickening sight, half of its face has melted away, leaving behind a gruesome slag of bone and flesh. The smell that hits you is nauseating, and you see Bernard go completely white and heave into the grasp, though Albert stands strong, glaring at you as he says.
"And so I ask you, Kosh Dulgat, What did you do in my forest and what the Hell did you wake up?"

Genth
2016-09-14, 05:49 PM
Khosh stares down at the ravaged creature for a moment, grip tightening on the staff as a look of anger crosses his bestial features, highlighting the Orc in him rather unpleasantly. He shifts his stance, moving to straighten his back and come to his full height, the clothes on him falling against his impressive physique.

"I have been slow, and stupid to think there were only small consequences..." he growls, and his voice is low. "Lord Albert, Hell is incorrect. It is not Hell that has forced its way into your world, it is the Abyss." He lets that sit in the air for a few moments before continuing. "I am a Paladin, a warrior of the Dawnflower, Sarenrae. I have been blessed with might and magic - and my primary enemy has, for the past decades, been the demons of the Abyss. I was fighting such a beast in a place called Golarion - far, far from this place. The demon had been plotting something - what, I do not know - and had created an arcane, foul device. It was this thing which ripped a hole in the fabric of reality, and sent me... and it, I suspect, tumbling through. My arms and armor torn from me, falling to land somewhere in the mountains, I fell down into the forest."

He pauses for a moment.

"With your blessing, and I hope, with your assistance, Lord Albert, I plan on retrieving my Holy Armaments, and ensuring that no more harm comes to this world from the demon's plot."

Bryconium
2016-09-14, 08:05 PM
Albert rubs his chin, an odd look on his face, "I've got to admit, that's a new one. Gol-ar-ion you say."
He looks you over again,
"Well, at least you're man enough to admit fault, even if I don't believe a word of your story. And you'll fix whatever you caused, so I guess I don't need the truth now. Very well, Khosh Dulgat, I'll grant you assistance as you try to solve this problem you've created. What would you require of me?"

Genth
2016-09-14, 08:18 PM
The Half-Orc gives an expansive shrug, making use of his broad shoulders. "Belief is not required, Lord Albert, though I hope to convince you eventually that I speak the truth." He pauses for a moment, looking up to the sun.

"My armor, weapons and other equipment is a priority. I was told that there were three meteors to fall from the sky, one was me, one fell in the mountains and the third in the "Marvinal Empire". If you can find me a map of the mountains and give the approximate location where the second meteor fell, I should be able to pinpoint the location and retrieve my gear. Then I would travel to this empire to seek out and vanquish the demon." The Paladin looks at Albert with a patient gaze. "Aside from the map, I would have you, and as many warriors as you wish, come with me. I suspect that my presence here may cause problems, and I wish to ensure you know me, as Lord of this land."

Bryconium
2016-09-14, 08:32 PM
Albert gives you an incredulous, angry look. "The Marinval Empire?!? The problem is here Khosh! Something is in my mountain, ravaging my lands! It threatens my people! If this third meteor of your's is indeed this demon, all the better. It's the Empress's problem now."He spits, She's always rattling those damn swords of hers, let her put them to use." Albert pauses, takes a deep breath, and says in a calmer voice, I can help you get into the empire, but right now something stalks my lands. If you help me with this, I'll help you with your demon. Besides, you'll be going to the mountains anyway, right? To chase your second meteor."

Genth
2016-09-14, 08:46 PM
Khosh frowns for a moment. "Again, I have been slow, Lord Albert." he says, another flash of anger crossing his face. "I had assumed this had been done simply by stray magic or indeed the fire of my descent. If it is a creature - a monster - doing this then that is the priority." He sighs, shaking his head as he looks down to the deer.

"I am ready to move whenever you are, Lord Albert. I have no possessions to speak of. Although I likely owe an apology to the Lady Valroy. The nation of Cheliax bears.. an uncanny resemblance to the name of a place in my homeland. A place of devils and devil-worshipers. My instinctual response may have insulted her."

Bryconium
2016-09-15, 03:37 PM
"Very well, glad that you saw reason. I can spare you a horse and a knight or two should you require them, though looking at you I imagine that they would only slow you done. I can also give you a guide to get you into the mountains, should you want her. You'll also probably want some equipment, take whatever arms and armor you require from my armory. Bernard will give you a map."
He smiles and chuckles to himself when you mention Julia, saying,
Lady Valroy is from Cheliax sure enough. They don't worship devils there though, not even the priests. They see it more as an alliance between two powerful nations than anything. Be careful around her though, the Chelish can hold grudges like no one else."

Genth
2016-09-15, 05:09 PM
Khosh chuckles for a brief moment at the reply he gets, eyes closing for a moment. After a while he leans in, to show the Lord his pale, cloudy eyes. "Lord, it may come as a surprise, but I shall definitely need a guide. My eyes have been clouded for many years now, and although I am adept at compensating, I still cannot see further than about fifty feet. Place me on the road to a place, I will be fine. Following a set of tracks, not an issue. Finding my way to a specific point in the mountains with no road and no guide? That is more difficult" he says, a low chuckle escaping his chest. "I can use my magic to scry out where the items are, point to them on a map, but I will need a guide to get me to that point. So thank you for your offer, my Lord, and I shall take you up on it. Including the armaments, if I may."

Khosh takes his leave of the Lord and travels to collect what weapons he can, and ready himself for the trip ahead.

What can he get from the armory? He'd be looking for a twin set of slashing weapons, battleaxes, swords and the like, the heaviest armor that will fit him, and probably a cloak to go over it.

Bryconium
2016-09-15, 10:20 PM
Lord Robert has a rather extensive armory, especially for a relatively small castle. However, most of the armor is made for smaller men than you. You do manage to eventually find a suit of banded mail that fits you, though it is a bit snug and uncomfortable. As for weapons, Robert has a lot of them, but not a huge variety. Fortunately, you find a matched set of scimitars in a corner, seemingly tossed in there and forgotten. As you try out the blades, you here a familiar voice behind you.
"Fancy as those scimitars are, they won't avail you much in the wilds. Steel always seems to lose its edge fighting the Faeries. Cold iron is the solution, though I'm sure you knew that."
As you turn you see Julia leaning against the door frame. In her hand she's tossing a shortsword made from a strange, dull iron.

Genth
2016-09-16, 01:14 AM
"I've fought creatures with the ability to shrug off mundane damage before, Lady Julia" Khosh replies, fixing a few of the buckles on his mail until it sits well enough for him to move. He turns and bows low to the woman, arms by his sides. "I apologize for my insult before. Cheliax shares a name with a nation in my past, one which did worship infernal forces. My instinctual reaction was to check." He chuckles softly. "I suppose it wouldn't soothe your spirits to hear that you passed, and are free of Evil, would it? At any rate.. Thank you for your help." he says, walking forwards and holding out a hand for the shortsword. There was every likelyhood he wouldn't need it, but it always pays to have a back-up.

Just to keep you informed, if you already know apologies, but Khoshs' Divine Bond ability is at +4, meaning he can put +3 enhancement on both his weapons, enough to negate DRx/Cold Iron.

Bryconium
2016-09-20, 07:02 PM
Julia gives you a slight smile as she catches the blade and presents it to you hilt first. As you take it from her she says,
"Well, I'm sure you know best. Still, never hurts to be prepared."
She pauses for a second, seemingly considering her words, and then continues,
"I understand that this world must be strange to you, and us even stranger. Worship is not something that comes easy to the people of my home; we are a proud people, and not like to sell our souls or perform dark sacrifices. But it is undeniable that Cheliax has flourished for over six hundred years in no small part thanks to the teachings of the philosophers who studied the Asmodean Scrolls. It seems that you have some history with an alternate version of us, and if you would dismiss me and my countrymen as devil-worshipers, I suppose that is your right. But be careful Khosh, this world has seen its share of holy prophets and righteous warriors, and we know that nothing is more dangerous than a zealot."

Genth
2016-09-20, 07:12 PM
Khosh takes the iron weapon with a bow of his head, checking its weight for a moment before sliding it home through a loop on his belt, behind one of the scimitars. "Indeed, Lady Julia. And again, I thank you for your help." he says, finishing his preparations and stretching out his arms. "When you come to know me, Lady, you'll know that I am not a zealot, despite believing in my cause with powerful conviction. If your people gain strength from the teachings of Asomodeus, that is their right as well. After all, in my world, He was instrumental in containing the greatest threat to existence there was. Law without mercy or love is a powerful tool..." he smiles sadly. "I've just seen how it makes it so easy to cast people aside. No. I am not a Zealot, to use people to further my philosophy, to throw them away as weapons. If I seek to change minds.. which, I will admit, is part of my job, it is through example, and not through forceful 'lessons'." He moves to leave, and stops just at the door to the armory. He pauses for a moment, glancing down before shaking his head. "I again apologize. I hope to speak again some time, once I have cleaned up my mess"

With that, Khosh leaves the armory, heading for the practice field to meet with his guide.

Bryconium
2016-09-20, 07:44 PM
You leave behind the armory and Julia and arrive in the main courtyard. The sun is high in the sky, beating down on you as you cross the courtyard, comfortably back in armor. Lord is Albert is waiting for you by the gate, along with two horses and a girl you would estimate is about 17 years old.
As you approach, Albert says,
"Looks like you're prepared. This is your guide. She may be young, but she has been all over the mountains since she was a little girl." He leans closer to you, "I want this fixed Khosh. I don't know what exactly you did, and I don't really care. Just fix it."
With that he walks off.

The girl is rather tall, standing about 5'10" with long, curly red hair and a freckled face. She greets you with an eager smile as she extends her hand.
Hi! Khosh, right? I'm Emma, Lord Albert's Chief-Ranger-in-training. If you're ready to go, mount up and let's head out!
The girl seems to be bubbling with enthusiasm to be guiding you on this mission.

Genth
2016-09-20, 08:03 PM
Khosh seems taller now he is girded in armor, the sunlight glinting of the banded mail, his hair pulled back into a neat warrior's tail, and the small tusks from his Half-Orc heritage pearly white. He nods to Lord Albert as the man leans in close, "I swear I shall, Lord Albert" the paladin replies, a grim look passing across his features before he turns to the young woman, beaming.

"Indeed, Chief Ranger in Training Emma. I am Khosh Dulgat, Paladin of the Dawnflower, and it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance" he proclaims, settling back into the more boisterous persona he uses when in armor, and grasping the woman's hand to shake it firmly. Enthusiasm meets enthusiasm, and Khosh moves over to the horse picked out for him. "Thank you for carrying me, fine creature!" he murmurs quietly before mounting up. "Let us away, Chief Ranger in Training Emma!"

Bryconium
2016-09-20, 09:52 PM
Emma leads you out the gate and down the hill. When you reach the bottom however, she doesn't turn you towards the town, but rather along a small side trail that leads you up into the mountains. The horses slow down along this trail, but seem well accustomed to the terrain and have no difficulty navigating as Emma leads you. For about an hour along the journey Emma had been making small talk, chatting away about the weather, the horses, and some castle gossip. Now though, she turns to you and with a slightly nervous look on her face and asks,
So, umm, what's this all about? M'lord said that I was to guide you through the Green Horn Mountains, and that's Faerie territory. Us rangers are generally the only ones allowed there, but here you are. M'lord also seemed angry when he got back, and Dad seemed nervous and scared..."
She blushes and looks away for a moment, then turns back with a determined look on her face and continues almost defiantly,
"It's just that as your guide I think I should know what I'm getting into, that's all."

Genth
2016-09-20, 10:02 PM
Khosh, as before, is an excellent travelling companion, asking questions and listening with genuine interest to the small matters which crop up in his travelling companion's mind. When the topic turns to the mountain, however, a glimmer of a frown crossing his face. "It pains me to say, Emma, that I don't know the precise nature of what awaits us... I arrived here during that meteor storm that landed two days ago, and I need to get to the thing that fell in the blue mountains. It *should* have simply been my personal belongings.. but it would seem that there is some form of creature or threat that has arrived with it, and Lord Albert found it's victim. A deer, half-molten from some unholy power." The man looks up towards the sun for a moment, letting his face bask in its rays. "I need you to take me to where the meteor landed. Once I find the area, hopefully I should be able to scry the exact location of the landing spot. And from there, deal with whatever has come. He looks over towards Emma, sizing her up in his mind from what he has seen so far, and continues. "I am more able than I look, Chief-Ranger-in-Training. You have no need to fear,"

Sense Motive check to get an idea of how strong Emma is? [roll0]

Bryconium
2016-09-20, 11:11 PM
Emma considers this for a moment, and though you can see she is trying to put up a brave face, she still seems nervous.
"Well... you do seem skilled, perhaps you can kill whatever it is that stalks the woods." She gives you a smile and says, "And I'll be here to back you up!" She gives the bow on her back a pat.

Emma seems confident on her horse, and from what little you've seen she moves with an easy grace and seems to have sharp, keen vision. Her figures are callused as well, probably from hour after hour practicing with her bow. However, she is still young, and doesn't have the seasoning and confidence you've come to associate with experienced adventurers.

Genth
2016-09-20, 11:21 PM
Khosh smiles, kindly, and reaches out to place a hand on Emma's shoulder, a brief pat, squeeze and a nod. "Bravery does you well, Emma. If the mountain paths permit it, stay mobile, and that will be your advantage." He turns to look at the road ahead. "Now is as good a time as any, I suppose" he murmurs, and pulls out the map he was given, tracing his hands over the map, fingers over where someone has circled the general area of the meteor's fall. He looks up to the sun and once again tries to look through it's gaze, peering down from high, high above the clouds, slowly moving across the mountains where the map is circled, looking for the crater where his equipment fell.

I realize that's *not* how scrying works, hope it's ok to bend the rules slightly for this purpose, getting a 'suns eye view' of the whole area?

Bryconium
2016-09-21, 12:38 AM
You close your eyes and let your mind float high above the Mountains. Color floods your mind as you gaze upon the green mountains. Though there are many large hills in the area, two large mountains dominate the area. You instinctual know that you are only on the foothills of the closest mountain. Forest stretches up all the way to the top of the mountain. There is no singular peak to this mountain, but rather a collection of peaks, arranged in a pseudo-circle pattern. Nestled among the peaks you notice a surprisingly large lake, though not as large as the Greenfall. A waterfall falls down the side into a tributary of the larger river you walked by with Derek. As you scan the peaks you notice a scar in the trees, much like you would imagine your descent would look like Though you don't know the area, you'd guess it would take more than a day of travel to get there. The scar is relatively close to the lake.

Emma spurs her mount on, saying, "Come on, if we hurry we'll be on the mountain proper before midday. We can stop for lunch then, and I'll have had some time to survey the area."

Genth
2016-09-21, 01:03 AM
Khosh's eyes snap back open, and he nods to Emma, flicking the reigns and spurring on into a trot beside her. "I was using the sun to help me see the world, a compensation for my usual eyesight" he explains as they move. "Do you know of a lake, high in the mountains, surrounded by an almost-circle of peaks?" he asks, "I believe that is the first place to look, once we get there!". He continues to ride beside the woman, keeping a casual eye out for anything untoward within his field of vision.

Add any penalties you see fit: [roll0]

Bryconium
2016-09-21, 01:20 AM
As you mention your abilities with the sun her eyes widen as she says, "Truly? Are you a wizard like Lady Julia? Or one of those Zhanterin seers with their rituals? Harold was telling me about them and..." She pauses for a moment, "Well I guess you can't be a Zhanterin, seeing as you aren't a girl."
When you mention the lake recognition flashes in her eyes for a moment and she looks like she's about to say something, but then seemingly decides against it.

Around you the forest grows thick as you travel the well worn trail. Leaves rustle and birds sing as the two of you travel along. However, you occasionally see dark shapes in the woods that disappear as soon as you focus on them. You also once thought you saw a face growing out of a tree, but upon closer inspection you realized it was just a trick of the light.

Genth
2016-09-21, 01:46 AM
"Ahh, a wizard, that's her route.." Khosh muses, glancing off into the woods for a few moments. "No, Emma, I am not a wizard, nor a.. Zhanterin?" He chuckles "And unless I am yet to discover something about myself after a long life lived, I am not a girl either." he says, grinning. He continues to ride, letting silence fall for a moment as he gathers his words. "I am a Paladin, a warrior who is given divine power in return for their absolute devotion to creating Goodness in the world. I am also an Oracle, granted magic power directly by my Goddess, in return for the curse of my eyesight."

Bryconium
2016-09-21, 11:25 AM
"Oh, a paladin. Lady Julia brought a few with her as well." She says, seeming to readily accept your explanation.

The rest of the ride passes uneventful as you ride up the foothills, eventually stopping a little after noon to eat and rest. Emma brings out some smoked fish and dried friuts. A hawk lands near her, and she pets it as she talks to it in low tones in a strange, bird-like tongue. Soon it flies away as Emma mounts up again,
With any luck we should be able to reach the crash site before nightfall if we hurry."

Genth
2016-09-21, 05:52 PM
Khosh nods, taking only a small amount of the food for politeness, and once they mount up again, spurs on his mount to a decent trot to keep up with Emma.

Bryconium
2016-09-21, 06:26 PM
Emma quiets down as she leads you up the mountain proper, only speaking when she needs to direct you. She stops occasionally to check the surrounding terrain, and her hawk comes down every now and then to communicate with her. You continue to feel a strange sense of being watched, though you still can see nothing.

As the sun is setting, you finally start to notice the telltale signs of something crashing through the canopy. Before you is a long, dark stretch of forest with a deep gouge in the earth, with splintered trees scattered about. Emma stops at this point, looks at you and says, "Well, we are here. I hope you don't mind, but I'd prefer if you led the way.' She gives you a brief smile, As you can see the path is quite clear."

Genth
2016-09-21, 06:33 PM
Khosh nods, and swings off his horse, leading it over to Emma's side, handing over the reigns to her before turning to look out at the ugly scar the meteor inflicted upon the ground. "A good plan. Keep your friend looking out for us, if you can. The more eyes watching out for us the better" He says, starting to walk into the middle of the scar. He concentrates as he sweeps his gaze around, sniffing out for the presence of evil. If a demonic being has been around here in the past few days, their lingering filth will touch the air. He begins to walk out, aiming to move to the end of the scar, where, if undisturbed, his gear should still lie.

Bryconium
2016-09-21, 07:09 PM
Your divine senses spread out as you look around at the scar in the forest. You detect only the faintest hint of the demon, easily attributable to the blood that would have been left on your weapons. However, what worries you is that something else seems to linger, not necessarily evil but malevolent, ancient, and powerful. You walk down the corridor with Emma behind you, bow drawn and an arrow ready. Eventually, after walking close to eight hundred yards you see a huge hole in the ground at the end of the scar. However, the hole doesn't seem to have been made from the impact, but was rather dug by something massive.

Genth
2016-09-21, 07:52 PM
Slowly, Khosh pulls out his twin scimitars, twirling them in his hands for a moment before looking more closely at the hole, examining it for any hint of the creature... or creatures that could have made it. Quietly, he moves around the hole, looking now for any tracks to follow

[roll0]

Bryconium
2016-09-21, 08:51 PM
As you circle the hole you notice that it was made by claws digging into the ground. The dirt around the hole is disturbed, with odd, sinuous tracks circling the hole. The tracks don't go anywhere though, just stop after a slight indentation. Behind you Emma is praying frantically under her breath, a look of panic on her face.

Genth
2016-09-21, 09:03 PM
Khosh moves over to Emma, placing a hand on her shoulder and looking down at her, eyes concerned. "Breathe deeply, Emma, and tell me what you know of the creature that could do this. It looks like a serpent, some sort of snake creature with claws. But the tracks do not leave this place, so it must have some method of movement.. is this one of the creatures you talked about before?"

Bryconium
2016-09-22, 01:29 AM
She shakes her head frantically, nearly in tears as she stammers,
It can't be, it's supposed to be a myth, a legend. It's not supposed to be real!" She takes moment to try and calm herself, with very limited success. She continues, The legends of the Greenfall speak of a wurm that lived on these mountains, deep within the watery caves. This creature terrorized both mortals and Faeries alike, until a great knight sealed it away in endless slumber. But it's not supposed to be real!" But it's the only thing I can think of that would leave marks like this...

Genth
2016-09-23, 12:42 AM
Khosh frowns, then nods, straightening up slightly and looking around the site, lips pursing. "There are many things which people call unreal, Emma. Many of them we call myth in order to sleep at night." he takes a few steps away, moving to the hole and placing a hand at the side, studying the shape and size of the claw marks. "This is the thing threatening the land. Emma, I know this is dangerous, and much to ask of you, but are you able to lead me to these caves where the creature was said to be sealed? I need to confront the beast."

Bryconium
2016-09-23, 02:23 PM
With your words and a few deep breaths, Emma seems to be calming down. Yeah... Yeah... I can lead you there. We're going to have to leave the horses soon though, it'll get too steep for them. She seems to have her resolve back now, and gives you a determined look as she mounts up again. "Come on, the beast is said to sleep in the Shattered Peak Lake, we still have a good hour of travel time before the light fades."

Genth
2016-09-24, 02:39 AM
Khosh grins, and stows his scimitars away. "Good. I've been wanting to stretch my legs." he says, jumping up on the horse and starting off alongside Emma, keeping a decent trot up as he moves.

Bryconium
2016-09-24, 09:42 PM
Night has just about fallen when you arrive at a sheer cliff face. Here Emma dismounts and begins to set up camp in a sheltered section of forest up against the cliff. "We're going to have to leave the horses here, obviously they can't climb the cliff with us. It's close to 200 feet straight up tomorrow, so get your sleep. The lake awaits us, and the Wurm."

The night is cold, but the forest is still alive with animals. You can feel them in the woods all around you, along with the presence of other beings. This forest and mountain are giving you an unnerving feeling. You feel like a stranger here, more so than you usually do on this world, like you've intruded in a place that no mortal is supposed to walk in.

Genth
2016-09-25, 05:50 AM
Khosh stays up a good portion of the night, sitting and watching the night go by. Eventually he allows Emma to take watch, covering himself with his cloak, giving a small prayer to the Dawnflower, though it may fall on a deaf universe, and slips into sleep.

Bryconium
2016-09-26, 11:06 AM
Once again your prayers go unanswered as you drift off to sleep.

You wake up from a fitful sleep, as dark shadows and milky grey eyes haunted your dreams last night. Fortunately, the sun is shining down upon the world now as Emma is preparing breakfast. After you finish eating, she ties up the horses in the clearing, placing a strange talisman around their bridles. "They should be safe here, we won't be gone long." With that she starts to unpack some climbing gear, handing you your set as she prepares to ascend. "Come on, we have a long ascent ahead of us."

Make a climb check here.

Genth
2016-09-26, 04:38 PM
Khosh spends the early minutes of the day in quiet contemplation of the sun, and now tries something different. Instead of waiting to feel the sun's warmth that doesn't quite come right, he extends his awareness upwards, imagining himself floating higher and higher to come close to the heat of the celestial orb, taking his spiritual presence to it instead of it to him. It is perhaps only a mental exercise, but he lets himself enjoy the daydream, if it is such a thing.

As Emma hands him the gear, he grins, wrapping the rope around his waist and over his shoulders to make a harness, then moves to the cliff face and starts climbing.

(assuming that the kit Emma used was an actual climbing kit for +2 circumstance bonus? [roll0]

Bryconium
2016-09-26, 06:50 PM
As you meditate and reach for the sun, you find yourself grasping at nothing. Despite your spiritual proximity, the sun is nothing more than an orb of fire. Still, the sun still does exist high above this world, and that is some comfort.

As you start to climb you realize with a shock that despite your physical strength, you haven't had to actually climb anything of this magnitude in years. Usually you have some magic item or a companion that would let you bypass such mundane obstacles, and you find yourself floundering. Fortunately for you, Emma is quite experienced and helps you along, and by midday the two of you reach the top of the cliff. Though the climb was taxing, physically you feel fine. Emma however, looks exhausted when you look over at her, bent over double and breathing heavily with a grey tinge to her skin. It seems that helping you with the climb has drained her.

Genth
2016-09-26, 06:55 PM
Khosh chuckles softly, feeling ever-so-slightly guilty for the climb. After all, he could have flown through magic or even just zipped up by following the sunlight. But this early in his quest, he had felt the need to work as mundanely as possible. He moves towards Emma and places a hand on her back, letting his divine magic flow into her, revitalizing, energizing her.

Using Lay on Hands, with the Fatigued Mercy. Also heals [roll0] damage. 12 uses left for the day.

"Remember to breathe, Chief Ranger in Training Emma. And thank you for your help"

Bryconium
2016-09-26, 07:12 PM
The divine power flows from you into Emma, bringing some color back to her cheeks as her breathing normalizes.
"Thanks Khosh, that's some useful magic.The lake should be just a few miles from here, it won't take long to get there."

Genth
2016-09-27, 06:11 PM
Khosh smiles. "I assure you, Emma, you're doing far more right now to help than me. I thank you." before he draws his scimitars and starts off, looking around as they move for any sign of trouble.

Bryconium
2016-09-27, 11:30 PM
While the forest below had been mostly pristine, though oddly unnerving, the forest around clearly bears the unmistakable signs of a rampage by some unknown beast. You notice that many of the trees carry burn marks, though you don't smell any smoke. Mangled animals and ruined trees dot the path as you make your way further in. You find yourself at the top of a hill when Emma points out the lake isn't much further away, and soon you are at its shores. Claw marks and pits dot the shore, and the Shattered Peak Lake stretches out before you.

Genth
2016-09-29, 05:33 PM
Khosh moves to the lakeside, slipping a scimitar away for just a moment as he dips his hand into the water, staring down at it to see if it is sullied. He turns, looking at the claw marks, eyes narrowing. Silently, and with a nod towards Emma, he pulls out the scimitar again and starts to follow around the shore of the lake, tracking the claw marks and pits as far as he can.

[roll0]

Bryconium
2016-09-30, 07:29 PM
The water is cold and surpisingly clean, and you can see deeper than you expected into it's depths, though not further than your blindsight. As you carefully look about the lake the signs of this huge beast are obvious to you, but unfortunately you can't seem to determine any rhyme or reason for the devastation, nor can you trace the various burns, pits and sliding marks to any source. After over thirty minutes of searching, you can't glean any useful information about the creature.

As you are gazing around the lake you hear Emma gasp and see her point to the lake. Though your vision doesn't extend far enough to see the whole thing, you do manage to see the end of a long, scaly tail rising from the water in a coil, then disappear back beneath the black surface of the lake.