PDA

View Full Version : DM Help First hoard too rewarding?

Hollysword
2016-08-24, 11:40 AM
Given I'm slightly new to 5e, I decided to just let the dice decide what the treasure is inside a dungeon. This is the first dungeon for the party, and the dice were VERY generous, and rolled up 3 uncommon magic items (including a wand).

Is this too much? Should I re-roll it, or just leave it as is? Fate is very fickle, and even level 1 adventurers may find great treasure early on if they're lucky, so I'm thinking of leaving it as is.

RickAllison
2016-08-24, 11:44 AM
Given I'm slightly new to 5e, I decided to just let the dice decide what the treasure is inside a dungeon. This is the first dungeon for the party, and the dice were VERY generous, and rolled up 3 uncommon magic items (including a wand).

Is this too much? Should I re-roll it, or just leave it as is? Fate is very fickle, and even level 1 adventurers may find great treasure early on if they're lucky, so I'm thinking of leaving it as is.

I say let it be, but make sure to spread the wealth out like it would be in a dungeon. A wand is likely to be in use, a Jar of Alchemy likely results in many poisoned blades, and much of the treasure could be hidden.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-24, 11:47 AM
What items?

Consumables (scrolls and potions) will have a big impact once, and shouldn't be a worry. The renewables or constants can have a big influence on the characters, and weapon/blasty types will probably let them take harder challenges and level faster... up to a point.

Hollysword
2016-08-24, 11:56 AM
I've thought about it, I did spread it throughout the dungeon, with the best stuff in the end.

And thus, the great d10s doeth gave the fledgling adventurers the following: +1 Shield, Pipe of the Sewers, Wand of Web(!)

The rest are just coins and art. Stuff worth roughly 250 gp total.

Even though I am the DM, I love letting the dice decide a lot of things, so even my world surprises me.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-24, 12:08 PM
Is anyone in the party proficient with wind instruments? Or considering a future Bard multiclass? if not, you may want to swap the pipes for something they can use.
The other two are cool finds. Found this early, I could see that shield be a character-defining item. Web is definitely going to be a big power boost at early levels - they have a get out of combat free (or trap and burn your enemies) card. Since it's a concentration spell, the user has to maintain concentration, so they can't coat the battlefield.

Hollysword
2016-08-24, 12:13 PM
Is anyone in the party proficient with wind instruments? Or considering a future Bard multiclass? if not, you may want to swap the pipes for something they can use.
The other two are cool finds. Found this early, I could see that shield be a character-defining item. Web is definitely going to be a big power boost at early levels - they have a get out of combat free (or trap and burn your enemies) card. Since it's a concentration spell, the user has to maintain concentration, so they can't coat the battlefield.

Oddly enough, the party's dragonborn paladin can use wind instruments thanks to his background (player is a Legend of Zelda fan, and says his paladin can play an ocarina, which is a wind instrument). Also, the only spellcaster (right now at least) is the tiefling cleric. Clerics can use the wand of web, right?

Joe the Rat
2016-08-24, 12:27 PM
A Paladin with command of rats... It's certainly not going to be too powerful.
WoWeb only needs a caster, so the cleric is good.
Hopefully someone else in the party can/does use a shield? otherwise you may have double-loaded goodies on the shiny dragon man or scary devil priest.

Hollysword
2016-08-24, 12:29 PM
Well, the party is only the two of them. Party of 2. The paladin is the front liner, so he'll get the shield.

LaserFace
2016-08-24, 12:38 PM
From what I understand of wands this edition, they just require attunement, but some have restrictions on who can attune. Like noted already, you just need to be a spellcaster for Wand of Web, so you're golden.

As far as it being "too much", it really depends. +X gear can sometimes make encounters easier, but if you don't overdo it it's fine. You probably can be pretty lenient with a smaller party, too.

I think wondrous items and other treasure that expands player options without giving them overwhelming power is usually a good thing. I think your hoard looks good.

gfishfunk
2016-08-24, 12:41 PM
I've thought about it, I did spread it throughout the dungeon, with the best stuff in the end.

And thus, the great d10s doeth gave the fledgling adventurers the following: +1 Shield, Pipe of the Sewers, Wand of Web(!)

The rest are just coins and art. Stuff worth roughly 250 gp total.

Even though I am the DM, I love letting the dice decide a lot of things, so even my world surprises me.

Not overly powerful and great early level incentives. Players like getting stuff.

My recommendation: flavor the shield quite a bit with an odd physical description that accentuates the feel and look of it. Don't let them know what it does without attunement or an identify spell. That way the emphasis on whether something is special is the feel and ambiance of the item rather than the effect: the party knows its good because there is more ambiance and flavor to the item.

Well, the party is only the two of them. Party of 2. The paladin is the front liner, so he'll get the shield.

That works. If the Paladin goes for 2h weapons, its still fine - the shield provides options.

Hollysword
2016-08-24, 08:12 PM
If the Paladin goes for 2h weapons, its still fine - the shield provides options.

The Paladin is going for defense, so any improved shield or armor would make him happy.

Thanks guys, I guess I'm worried for nothing.

ad_hoc
2016-08-24, 10:15 PM
I roll during the game at the table for treasure hoards.

Well, I actually have the players roll and I read the results from the charts.