PDA

View Full Version : Collective noun for Aasimar and Tieflings?

Scarey Nerd
2016-08-24, 01:42 PM
What would be a good word for those two angel/demon-descended races if you were lumping them together? "Planetouched" sounds so vague; by the definition of planetouched, you'd think that a Genasi would be a planetouched as well, for example.

mgshamster
2016-08-24, 01:46 PM
Historically (D&D history), they've always been called Planetouched. As well as the Genasi. All six of those races are the Planetouched Races. In the books, there hasn't been a name for just those two.

Scarey Nerd
2016-08-24, 01:51 PM
I feared as much - ah well, I guess I'll have to make up a term myself

Theodoxus
2016-08-24, 01:59 PM
I feared as much - ah well, I guess I'll have to make up a term myself

Outer-planetouched? It would at least differentiate them from the Inner-planetouched Genasi...

It's only kinda funny that I think Aasimar and Tiefling are a little OP (especially given the options in SCAG for flight).

DracoKnight
2016-08-24, 02:02 PM
It's only kinda funny that I think Aasimar and Tiefling are a little OP (especially given the options in SCAG for flight).

Flight is only OP if you let it be. If you have a player who can fly, design encounters where it is dangerous to do so. But don't restrict it so much that it's useless.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-08-24, 02:03 PM
Don't forget the chaonds and zenythri!

To be precise, a collective noun would be something like "a mischief of tieflings" or "a chapel of aasimar".

Arkhios
2016-08-24, 02:03 PM
Personally, I prefer planetouched. By definition (as I've understood it) it means a race in the mortal realm that has been touched by an entity from an outer plane, be it celestial, infernal, elemental fire, elemental earth, elemental water, elemental air, etc. The list could be expanded to include feywild, shadowfell, and astral sea (if it's not included in "celestial", I'm AFB and can't check the actual realm names and types).

Cespenar
2016-08-24, 04:27 PM
Extremelings?

Sigreid
2016-08-24, 04:45 PM
Well, if you want to look at real world theology, they both actually are nelphim.

Arkhios
2016-08-25, 12:01 AM
Well, if you want to look at real world theology, they both actually are nelphim.

I assume you mean nephilim (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim)?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-25, 05:08 AM
"a mischief of tieflings"

*intones* One's a curiosity, two's a conspiracy, three's a curse.

Azreal
2016-08-25, 09:22 PM
In my current campaign Aasimar and Tieflings are known collectively as Spellbloods. Since they are humans with more of a corruption from Arcane magic rather then planar ancestors.

However I do like the term.

Sigreid
2016-08-25, 09:34 PM
I assume you mean nephilim (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim)?

Yes, I was guessing on the spelling. :)

Logosloki
2016-08-25, 09:55 PM
I would assume they would have the same collective nouns as other races. Probably not horde or rabble or other nouns as such. Coven is probably good for planetouched in general.

mgshamster
2016-08-25, 10:18 PM
A group of humans.
A rubble of dwarves.
A glade of elves.
A shadow of drow.
A co-op of halflings.
A lounge of dragonborn.
A sprocket of rock gnomes (may also be a turret (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corps_Castle) of rock gnomes).
A grove of forest gnomes.
A wandering of half elves.
A thug of half-orcs.
A trouble of tieflings.
A celestial of Aasimar.
A fight or Aarokocra.
A pile of deep gnomes.
A breeze of air Genasi.
A ground of Earth Genasi.
A wild of Fire Genasi.
A current of Water Genasi.
A mountain of goliaths.

Logosloki
2016-08-26, 07:12 AM
I think a Cathedral of Dwarves would be better since that is a good term for a subterranean void space.

A Crew of Minotaurs
A Truckload of Revenants
An Encounter of Goblins
A Den of Kobolds
An endarkening of Duergar
A conspiracy of Changlings
A harem of shifters
A shoal of merfolk

JumboWheat01
2016-08-26, 07:50 AM
Aren't most Tieflings born from other Tieflings, who are born from other Tieflings these days? While they may've been touched many generations in their past, but now-a-days they seem as native as Halflings or Dwarves, rather than special beings born from a touch of an outsider, like an Aasimar or a Genasi.

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-26, 11:41 AM

Flying Speed doesn't bothers me, as a DM (and, maybe, player... someday) I prefer obstacles who fight instead of walls and chasms...

Joe the Rat
2016-08-26, 01:14 PM
Nephilhim is the win for this one.
My backup idea is Soulbred, hinting at the afterlife-dwelling nature of your questionable parentage.

Sigreid
2016-08-26, 05:07 PM
I think a Cathedral of Dwarves would be better since that is a good term for a subterranean void space.

An oubliette of dwarves as they should be thrown in a deep hole and forgotten.

JumboWheat01
2016-08-26, 06:12 PM
An oubliette of dwarves as they should be thrown in a deep hole and forgotten.

Throw a dwarf in the oubliette and they're just gonna tunnel their way out. They're dwarves, it's what they do.

Now throw a wood elf in an oubliette, and they'll be mad by the end of the hour.

Draco4472
2016-08-27, 07:22 PM
A group of humans.
A rubble of dwarves.
A glade of elves.
A shadow of drow.
A co-op of halflings.
A lounge of dragonborn.
A sprocket of rock gnomes (may also be a turret (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corps_Castle) of rock gnomes).
A grove of forest gnomes.
A wandering of half elves.
A thug of half-orcs.
A trouble of tieflings.
A celestial of Aasimar.
A fight or Aarokocra.
A pile of deep gnomes.
A breeze of air Genasi.
A ground of Earth Genasi.
A wild of Fire Genasi.
A current of Water Genasi.
A mountain of goliaths.

I think a 'curse of Tieflings' and a 'chapel of Aasimar' are better myself. Or perhaps a 'cult of Teiflings'?

Yeah the latter sounds better. Now I need to make a character that'll correct everyone when they refer to a collective of one race as 'grouping'. Save of course humans.

Perhaps that Kobold Bard I've been thinking of once Volo's is out...

mgshamster
2016-08-27, 07:54 PM
I think a 'curse of Tieflings' and a 'chapel of Aasimar' are better myself. Or perhaps a 'cult of Teiflings'?

Yeah the latter sounds better. Now I need to make a character that'll correct everyone when they refer to a collective of one race as 'grouping'. Save of course humans.

Perhaps that Kobold Bard I've been thinking of once Volo's is out...

I like the Chapel of Aasimar (also the Cathedral of Dwarves from above).

But the trouble of tieflings is an alliteration. You can't change that! :)

Also, a co-op of halflings was my personal favorite.