PDA

View Full Version : intelligent item senses? (pathfinder)

Ecliptic
2016-08-24, 02:35 PM
what does an intelligent item see? does it see through my eyes/what I see? or does it have its own vision? if I have it on my back will it see what I'm seeing or will it tell me if an orc is trying to sneak up on me from behind?

Thanks

inuyasha
2016-08-24, 03:47 PM
what does an intelligent item see? does it see through my eyes/what I see? or does it have its own vision? if I have it on my back will it see what I'm seeing or will it tell me if an orc is trying to sneak up on me from behind?

Thanks

Based on phrasing of the rules, I'd assume that the intelligent item sees on its own, without your eyesight being a factor. As such, the item would be able to act a little on its own (which would make sense for those few that are allowed to move about on their own)

As for whether or not it would let you know of the orc sneaking behind you, that depends on lighting, vision types, how high the item's perception (or spot/listen) is, and whether or not the item is friends with you. Things like alignment really get in the way with intelligent items, and even if you share an alignment, its goals may not be parallel to yours.

Psyren
2016-08-24, 04:38 PM
There is no "facing" in Pathfinder - an Orc trying to sneak up on you from behind is treated just like one sneaking up from in front of you or off to the side - he's going to need cover/concealment to even attempt the check either way. You're basically assumed to be glancing around constantly unless something is fascinating or otherwise really distracting you.

With that said, yes, and intelligent item on your person will increase your chances of spotting something since it gets to roll its own Perception. (Or more accurately, the attacker must compare its stealth result to both of you.) In addition, intelligent items are constructs, so they may have senses (like Darkvision) that you don't.