PDA

View Full Version : Compulsion you WANT to do?

Albions_Angel
2016-08-24, 03:23 PM
Hi all

So a lot of compulsion spells either make you friendly and suggestible, but dont force you to do something, or force you to do something but make you totally aware that you are being controlled.

Are there any spells that make you WANT to do what you are commanded? Or not notice you are being commanded? That affect your emotions with your actions?

For a bit of background, in one of my fey palaces, I want Glamoured dancers that turn out to be (if you can see through the glamour) very happy, but very emaciated dancers, forever dancing, lost in their own mind, wanting to dance forever more, happy to be doing so.

The closest I can find is to use suggestion to get them thinking dancing forever is a really good idea, but I am worried their tiredness would take over and it would become life-threatening, thus breaking the suggestion. I could keep them calm with about 30 other alternating spells, but nothing I can find forces them to perform an action AND feel a certain way about it. Its driving me up the wall because it seems like an obvious spell.

Boci
2016-08-24, 03:25 PM
Morally Undone is a spell that changes your alignment to evil, so if you wanting to homebrew a spell that makes the target want to dance, that would be the one. I guess there's also mindrape and programmed amnesia, but those seem a little excessive.

Braininthejar2
2016-08-24, 04:59 PM
To create unusual compulsions, perhaps bestow curse?

Possibly persisted suggestion effects.

Necroticplague
2016-08-24, 05:19 PM
Sympathy, while not quite what you want, makes creatures want to stay in an area.

phlidwsn
2016-08-24, 05:25 PM
There's the warlock's invocation Devil's Whispers, from Cityscape. Works like suggestion, but the target thinks the suggestion was their own idea on a failed save.

Segev
2016-08-24, 05:28 PM
Mark of judgment sort-of does this. Technically, it doesn't compel your behavior; you can go against the mark and its requirements. But it makes you "want" to obey it because it punishes you severely if you do not.

Lesser geas and geas are not 100% clear as to what the mindset of the victim is, either. He's compelled to obey the spell, and does so to the best of his ability, so he at least must seem eager, unless he spends all his time grousing about how miserable it makes him (which I would not put past some people, especially if the compulsion was grossly against their alignment).

Suggestion obviously makes you "want" to follow it, but it technically is only making you believe what is suggested and take action that you are persuaded by that suggestion to do, so it's questionable whether it counts or not.

Charm doesn't compel you.

I suppose you could dominate and then charm somebody, so they now interpret your having dominated them in the "best possible light" and might want to please you so be happy that they're compelled to do things that make you happy?

Braininthejar2
2016-08-24, 05:39 PM
Isn't there a type of outsider (otherworldly cultists of the Greek god of wine) that compels you to want to party with them?

Bakkan
2016-08-24, 06:14 PM
Not a spell, but epic-level Diplomacy checks can make people Fanatical, which means they will give their lives to serve you. Presumably that would include dancing until they starve to death.

Zanos
2016-08-24, 06:28 PM
Mindrape can pretty much do anything.

nedz
2016-08-24, 06:50 PM
I've DMed all of them - successful.

The main thing is to do it sparsely - it gets old fast. Limiting it to one encounter is probably the trick. You have to give the players control also.

Sith_Happens
2016-08-25, 02:20 AM
Hypnotism is exactly what you're looking for, provided the NPCs to be affected are within the HD cap. Cast it while they're Charmed and they'll be Fanatical with respect to whatever it is they were asked to do.

Manyasone
2016-08-25, 05:13 AM
Isn't there a type of outsider (otherworldly cultists of the Greek god of wine) that compels you to want to party with them?

Bachae I believe you are referring to. Second edition Planescape

Albions_Angel
2016-08-25, 07:07 AM
They are also in Fiend Folio. With a spell Emotion, which I cant find because its 3.0 and I dont have any idea of 3.0 spells :/

Inevitability
2016-08-25, 07:59 AM
They are also in Fiend Folio. With a spell Emotion, which I cant find because its 3.0 and I dont have any idea of 3.0 spells :/

Here (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD3e:Emotion) it is (I linked to D&Dwiki, don't hit me).

Telonius
2016-08-25, 08:35 AM
No need to feel icky, the 3.0 SRD is here (http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html).

Emotion
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: All living creatures within a 15-ft. radius
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell arouses a single emotion of the character's choice in the subjects. The character can choose any one of the following versions:
Despair: The enchanted creatures suffer a –2 morale penalty to saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Emotion (despair) dispels emotion (hope).
Fear: The enchanted creatures flee from the character whenever they are in sight of the character. Emotion (fear) dispels emotion (rage).
Friendship: The enchanted creatures react more positively toward others. Their attitude shifts to the next more favorable reaction (hostile to unfriendly, unfriendly to indifferent, indifferent to friendly, or friendly to helpful). Creatures involved in combat, however, continue to fight back normally. Emotion (friendship) dispels emotion (hate).
Hate: The enchanted creatures react more negatively toward others. Their attitude shifts to the next less favorable reaction (helpful to friendly, friendly to indifferent, indifferent to unfriendly, or unfriendly to hostile). Emotion (hate) dispels emotion (friendship).
Hope: The enchanted creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Emotion (hope) dispels emotion (despair).
Rage: The enchanted creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution scores, a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a –1 penalty to AC. They are compelled to fight heedless of danger. Emotion (rage) does not stack with barbarian rage or with itself. Emotion (rage) dispels emotion (fear).