PDA

View Full Version : Storm King Thunder AMA (SPOILERS)

R.Shackleford
2016-08-24, 07:20 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4ze9ar/spoilers_just_picked_up_storm_kings_thunder_ama/

Figured y'all might like this.

NecroDancer
2016-08-24, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I was waiting for something like this to pop up

RickAllison
2016-08-24, 07:42 PM
I want the flying kitty-cat!!!

Gwendol
2016-08-25, 10:17 AM
Nice! Had forgotten it is close to launching!

R.Shackleford
2016-08-25, 10:27 AM
For ppl who can't get on reddit . This is the only thing that the book seems to have to offer me. So far I'm not impressed (between this and a few screen shots I've see. ;) )

[–]AeoSCLet's see him Counterspell a knife in the back. 42 points 20 hours ago
How has Rune Magic changed since the UA?
permalinkembedsavereportgive goldreply

[–]LexieJeidPaladin[S] 49 points 19 hours ago
The individual runes in UA Rune Magic are now items that have the simple properties featured in the UA, but not the complex properties (with one exception). You have to be attuned to the rune item to use it. You can do an 8-hour ritual to transfer the rune's magic (destroying the rune) to an object of a certain type (armor, weapon, boots, cloak, etc), granting the object an enchantment that varies depending on the rune and the object.
There are 8 rune objects, including the 4 in the UA, except the ice one (Kalt) has been renamed Ise.
permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]ventusHuman Piratelock 17 points 19 hours ago
Do the items you transfer them to have to be nonmagical? I would imagine yes, but it would be an interesting way to "upgrade" existing magic items.

[–]LexieJeidPaladin[S] 25 points 18 hours ago
Yeah, looks like the items must be nonmagical to start with. Also, interesting: some runes can only be transferred to places, giving an area a ward of some kind.

DanyBallon
2016-08-25, 10:33 AM
For ppl who can't get on reddit . This is the only thing that the book seems to have to offer me. So far I'm not impressed (between this and a few screen shots I've see. ;) )

[–]AeoSCLet's see him Counterspell a knife in the back. 42 points 20 hours ago
How has Rune Magic changed since the UA?
permalinkembedsavereportgive goldreply

[–]LexieJeidPaladin[S] 49 points 19 hours ago
The individual runes in UA Rune Magic are now items that have the simple properties featured in the UA, but not the complex properties (with one exception). You have to be attuned to the rune item to use it. You can do an 8-hour ritual to transfer the rune's magic (destroying the rune) to an object of a certain type (armor, weapon, boots, cloak, etc), granting the object an enchantment that varies depending on the rune and the object.
There are 8 rune objects, including the 4 in the UA, except the ice one (Kalt) has been renamed Ise.

[–]ventusHuman Piratelock 17 points 19 hours ago
Do the items you transfer them to have to be nonmagical? I would imagine yes, but it would be an interesting way to "upgrade" existing magic items.

[–]LexieJeidPaladin[S] 25 points 18 hours ago
Yeah, looks like the items must be nonmagical to start with. Also, interesting: some runes can only be transferred to places, giving an area a ward of some kind.

Don't get me wrong, but you'll always be disapointed in an adventure book if you consider the only thing worth buying are not the adventure itself.

RickAllison
2016-08-25, 11:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, but you'll always be disapointed in an adventure book if you consider the only thing worth buying are not the adventure itself.

That's why I usually lurk on reddit and such to get pictures of the few pages I care about. So far, that has been the monsters and NPCs of OotA and the wereravens of CoS. Doesn't make much sense to buy the whole thing when all I want is the equivalent of "Hey, can I look at page XYZ? Thanks!"

NecroDancer
2016-08-25, 11:40 AM
Why do I have the feeling that 70% of all deaths in this campaign will be because of Yakmen

R.Shackleford
2016-08-25, 12:52 PM

The adventure itself, from what I've seen/been told, is not all that great. That and what I specifically was looking for together is what makes it dissapointing.

I was hoping wotc would make an adventure book that could draw me in but this far, and I'll read more into it and give it a shot, it looks pretty basic run of the mill stuff.

I certainly won't buy it though.

Gwendol
2016-08-26, 03:10 AM
I'd like to play it after reading some more. It sounds like a lot of fun.