PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A A couple Fiend of Possession questions

ksbsnowowl
2016-08-24, 09:08 PM
I'm a DM looking to make use of a Fiend of Possession (PrC from Fiend Folio) as a foe my PC's will encounter. I have a couple questions about the class' abilities.

1) A FoP who possesses an object can use its SLA's. The Possess Creature ability says nothing about this, but later the Control Creature ability says the FoP gains "access to all the [host] creature's abilities, skills, feats, and spell knowledge. The fiend now acts as though it is the creature in all respects, until [it loses control]. The fiend uses its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, but adopts all of the possessed creature’s physical ability scores. It can make use of its own spell-like abilities as well." (Emphasis mine) Can a FoP that is possessing a creature only use its own SLA's while in direct control of the host victim? Or can it also use them while passively riding in a victim?

2) Regarding the above quote, can a FoP actually cast the spells of the victim?

3) Also regarding above, can a FoP cast/use the SLA's of the victim?

4) If a FoP can cast the victim's spells and/or use the victim's SLA's, will the save DC's of the victim's spells/SLA's be based on the FoP's mental stats, or those of the host creature?

5) The FoP can presumably only possess things while on the Material/Ethereal planes, since to do so he must become Ethereal, then be adjacent to his Material target. The act of possessing a creature/object explicitly makes the FoP no longer Ethereal. If the possessed victim is slain, or if the FoP is exercised from the victim, "the fiend is forced back into its ethereal form." What happens if the possessed victim is slain on an outer plane? There is no coexistent Ethereal plane for the FoP to revert to.

DreganHiregard
2016-08-25, 08:28 AM
Well by my reading of it The fiend can use it's spell like abilities anytime, whether possessing, riding, hiding, or just being themselves.

On top of that they can do anything their possessed body could do, including use their spell like abilities, spells, feats ect. Though spellcasting ad spell like abilities will be based on the fiend's mental ability scores, not the hosts, this includes the DC for saving throws, but also things like if the possed creture were a nymph it would add the fiends charisma to AC instead of the nymph's.

As for your last question, I'd need to brush up on my planar cosmology. As best I can recall you can still be ethereal on the outer planes. If not than I'd rule the fiend is slain.

But the biggest thing is that as the DM you can change or adjust things if you need to, especially with an older book like Fiend Folio. Hope this helped!

Crake
2016-08-25, 08:48 AM
The possession rules were updated in Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, where the fiend was instead ruled to be incorporeal, not ethereal, and left it's real body behind in stasis. This is not explicitly a fiend of possession update, but for the most part functions exactly the same as fiend of possession, with the exception of how you go about possessing someone, and the addition of the "transformation" option, which lets the fiend twist and transform the host's body into a duplicate of their own, effectively giving them a free astral projection with no silver cord. Additionally, it no longer required 6 class levels, but merely 15 cha and increased the CR by 2. If you're using this for an NPC, i highly suggest just using those rules from FCI instead. If this is for a character, well, then back to your DM you go I suppose, that final question can only be reasonably answered by him.

As for the first ones

1) Only while controlling the victim.
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) It's own mental stats