PDA

View Full Version : Leveling/ Class Selection Question

geez3r
2007-07-06, 07:04 PM
Okay, hypothetical scenario time.

You're making a half-dragon character (color of dragon, and base creature are not relevant to discussion) and after making all the adjustments made to your ability scores and what not, you are ready to decide what class to take. But something catches your eye; the half-dragon template has changed your type to dragon. Now here's the question: Could you take a level of "dragon" instead of a class level for one (or more) of your levels?

As far as I know, there is nothing in rules that allows, or even disallows this. Follow up question: If you took a level in a monster class, how would that affect (or effect, can't remember which) your ECL and the like?

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-06, 07:08 PM
ECL = HD+LA.

Now, in this hypothetical scenario I would kill my character and roll up something that's missing the +3 LA.

However, I assume you're looking for a response for your character that doesn't involve getting a new one. So, yes, you would be able to take a level of "Dragon" if your DM allows you to. Talk it out with him first.

Starsinger
2007-07-06, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't a "monster class". Even if you use the term like Savage Species did, it's not the same thing. I mean, the closest a half-dragon would get would be Half-Dragon paragon.

But even if you could just slap on levels of Dragon, what would it get you? BAB, Skills, and HD? Period? That's like a super NPC class I guess, no class features. Maybe, possibly, weak sorcery.