PDA

View Full Version : Character Boons

ZeltArruin
2016-08-25, 01:38 PM
Rather Home-brew, but very 5e, so here I am.

So I am planning to run a game soon where the characters will each gain, what I’m calling, a ‘Boon’, and the nature of how they gain it or specifically where it originates from is not set yet. I am planning on giving them out at random, and thereby need to make sure there are no absolutely useless ones for a character, such as a bonus specific to spells, and so far I’ve done well enough at that. Most are combat focused because D&D is for the most part, and that is usually where people will notice the benefits of being so gosh darn special. Boons should be relatively equal in power and shouldn’t replicate a feat. Some, like Shadow Warrior, are drawn from abilities that monsters get.

So basically I'm asking to see if anyone has some ideas for new ones, thoughts on power scale of the ones below, stuff like that. Names aren’t set in stone, and are mostly just for reference.

Boons:
Shadow Warrior: Attack rolls against enemies with one or more ally adjacent/within 5’ of them have advantage.
Enigma: +1 to all Saves and Skill checks.
Warrior Born: Gain a use or an additional use of the Action Surge ability.
Wanderer/Loner: When fighting with no allies within 10’ of you, you gain +2 to hit, +2 to AC, and your speed increases by 10 ft.
Duelist: As a free action you may select one enemy you can see (typically one you are in melee with), you gain a +2 to hit, your critical range increases by 1 (typically to 19-20 or 18-20 if it is already 19-20, 17-20 if it is 18-20) and +2 AC vs that enemies attacks. You may not change this target until the current target is slain, has fled, or surrendered.
Dervish: For each enemy beyond the first that you are engaged with, you gain +1 to hit, damage and AC, up to a maximum of +2. When engaging 3 or more enemies, any time you take the attack action, you make make one additional attack.
Incredibly Durable: Any time you take a short rest, you may spend a hit die for free. Additionally, you gain damage reduction 1 vs all sources.
Ascended: Weapons you wield are considered magical. Your dark vision increases by 60 ft. You gain resistance to fire and acid damage.
Inspired Knowledge: Gain proficiency in three tools/skills and one save.
Mighty: +2 on all damage rolls. In the case of a spell with multiple projectiles (like magic missile), only apply the bonus damage once. Spells or attacks that have multiple attack rolls gain the damage on each as normal.

N810
2016-08-25, 03:14 PM
Not really sure, the ones you posted seems pretty fair.
not sure if I can come up with any new ones...

you might want to repost in the Hombrew section of the forums for more responses.