PDA

View Full Version : When is Jumping an action/movement?

The Shadowdove
2016-08-25, 03:52 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

I under the Jumping distance rules.

However, I do not know whether or not it's an action or movement.

Up until now I have been playing it like this:

If you move ten feet and jump or jump in place, but do nothing else, it's part of your movement. Allowing an action such as a spell or attack.

I'd you jump and perform an action, such a grabbing a ledge I climb up, it is both movement an action.

If you run your movement and jump at the end, it is movement and an action.

What are the actual rules as written/intended and where does it state whether it is an action or movement ?

Thank you in advance,

Dove

Coffee_Dragon
2016-08-25, 06:40 PM
During combat jumping is always part of (and counts towards) movement; there's no "jump action", "grab action" or "climb action". Therefore you'd always have your action for something else. (Some DMs may rule differently. My DM for instance didn't like the idea of someone climbing up or down a tree and performing an action in the same round.) Outside of combat, it's just something you do. I don't have the book at hand for page numbers, maybe someone else does. (And personally I think the jumping rules are poorly written and don't make much sense as presented, but I guess it's possible to just use them and try not to think about the implications.)

RickAllison
2016-08-25, 06:48 PM
Jumping, insofar as it is part of movement, has very well-defined rules related to how far one can jump. From that, I would say a good rule of thumb is that any attempt to jump beyond such a distance is an ability check.

Maxilian
2016-08-26, 08:36 AM
During combat jumping is always part of (and counts towards) movement; there's no "jump action", "grab action" or "climb action". Therefore you'd always have your action for something else. (Some DMs may rule differently. My DM for instance didn't like the idea of someone climbing up or down a tree and performing an action in the same round.) Outside of combat, it's just something you do. I don't have the book at hand for page numbers, maybe someone else does. (And personally I think the jumping rules are poorly written and don't make much sense as presented, but I guess it's possible to just use them and try not to think about the implications.)

Its movement per se, but you could use your Dash action to "Jump" if i'm not wrong (But still... in the end, it just consume movement)

Shaofoo
2016-08-26, 02:30 PM
Its movement per se, but you could use your Dash action to "Jump" if i'm not wrong (But still... in the end, it just consume movement)

You can long jump your strength score and high jump 3 + your strength score if you move 10 feet prior to the jumps or half that from standing up. You don't need to dash to jump unless your current speed doesn't allow you to go the full distance (If your speed is 25 feet and you have a Strength Score of 20 then you can only jump 15 feet since you need 10 feet of movement to jump but you can dash and be able to complete the last 5 feet of movement needed).

Depending on the DM I would say that certain difficult jumps might require an action to perform but that is up to DM discretion, the rules are clear that jumping is not an action.

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-26, 04:31 PM
You can long jump your strength score and high jump 3 + your strength score if you move 10 feet prior to the jumps or half that from standing up. You don't need to dash to jump unless your current speed doesn't allow you to go the full distance (If your speed is 25 feet and you have a Strength Score of 20 then you can only jump 15 feet since you need 10 feet of movement to jump but you can dash and be able to complete the last 5 feet of movement needed).

Depending on the DM I would say that certain difficult jumps might require an action to perform but that is up to DM discretion, the rules are clear that jumping is not an action.

It's Strength score for long jump but it's strength modifier for high jump.

So a Str 20 character can long jump 20 feet distance, but they would high jump 8 feet.
Str 10 character long jumps 10 feet distance, but only high jumps 3 feet.

Shaofoo
2016-08-26, 05:34 PM
It's Strength score for long jump but it's strength modifier for high jump.

So a Str 20 character can long jump 20 feet distance, but they would high jump 8 feet.
Str 10 character long jumps 10 feet distance, but only high jumps 3 feet.

Yes my mistake