PDA

View Full Version : Circle of the Dragon - Druid Subclass for 5e.

SMac8988
2016-08-25, 05:57 PM
My wife has recently gotten into the idea of playing d&d with a few friends of mine, and is love with Daenerys from Game Thrones. With us prepping to start a new game and her joining in my friend, who will be running this game, has given me permission to work out a class so that she can run something similar to the Queen of Dragons.

I am using the Beast Circle as my base design for this (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/173275/Druid-Circle--Circle-of-the-Beast) And I do not want to take credit for making this or his work. I am simply altering his work to make it work for what I need.

This Circle is about mastering one of the largest and most deadly beasts in all the land. To form an alliance and friendship with a great beast of legend.

At level 2 when this circle is taken the play can take on a wrymling of any dragon type. (Stats for base dragon at the bottom of this post) The Dragon will be small in size. The druid must be within verbal command range, and be able to speak to the dragon. Movement for the dragon is a free action, and bonus actions for attack, dash, disengage, help and hide. The Dragon also is considered to be trained in a sense that if size permits the druid can mount and ride it. Dragon will also add 4x druid levels to its base HP, and have 1d4 hit die equal to the druid level for short rest healing. Also they will add the druids proficiency to the dragons AC and ability to hit and damage.

At level 3 - The druids bond to his dragon allows him to have certain spells always prepared without having to effect their normal spell list.

Beast Bond
Beast Sense
And at level 5

Revivify
The Druid also is able to cast as a touch spell Enlarge only on her companion. (This will allow the Dragon to be up to medium size and be a bit more involved as a melee combatant.)

At level 6 the druid can use one of their wild shapes to increase the size of their dragon.

At this time the dragon can go from "1/4" to "1/2" cr rating. This in a sense will allow the dragon to go into a medium size and if enlarge is also cast as concentration to a large size for one minute. Below will list the dragons stats per size.

At level 8 this increases to "1/2" to "1" Cr. (Large possibly huge in size.)

Level 10 Dragon Ascension - At 10th level the dragon gains the ability to make two attack actions at the cost of the druids bonus action.

Debating if at 14 (the subclass capstone) would be allow the dragon to go to a CR 2 - huge size dragon.

My idea for the dragons base stats is this:

Base Dragon -

STR - 15 DEX - 10 CON - 13 INT - 10 WIS - 11 CHA - 13
HP - 7 (2d4 + 2)
AC - 12
Movement - 15 Walk, 40 Fly

Attack - Bite 1d4 + 2

Breath - Dragon will take the base dragons breath attack, but at a 1d6 damage at this size, but will retain the reset on 5 and 6 at start of turn.

Size increases will:

Increase bite damage by 1d4 per size above base
Increase Breath Damage by 1d6 per size above base
Grant bonus HP of 1 per druid level per size above base
Increase ground move speed by 5ft per size increase and flight speed by 10ft per size increase

At large add wing attack of 2d6 + 2

When Large or above, dragon will have advantage on str and con saves.

I am curious if people find this over powered or if it seems like a relatively balanced build. My wife plans to run as mainly support to the dragon, casting more healing spells and buffs only relying on cantrips for damage spells. I wanted to make a class that had the feel of a massive dragon in combat but could still enter towns and buildings lol.

Hope you all like it!

The Zoat
2016-08-29, 08:52 AM
This isn't tagged as 5e, so I almost missed it.