PDA

View Full Version : Shade Lich [Template, MitP II]

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-06, 07:43 PM
I've always been fascinated by systems which try to work with shadows (actual shadows, not strength stealing undead) and I decided that the key to really effectively using the flavor of the shadow is to focus on the duality, the split between the real and the reflection.

Going into the existing D&D canon, the monster most focused around such a duality is the Lich, in that his essence is split between himself and his phylactery. So, without further introduction, the Shade Lich.

Shade Lich
The Lich is a creature feared by all, but even the basics of its existence, beyond their undeniable evil, are a mystery to all but the most astute scholars of arcana.
Among the few relatively widely known truths of the Lich's being is the severing of its soul into a phylactery.
However, just like the lore of the Lich itself, lore of the phylactery is vague, and barely understood beyond the very basics of storing a soul.
Amid this vast mystery, an arcane secret of the phylactery exists, a method by which a Lich can, rather than pushing his soul into an inanimate phylactery, can use the evil energies of the process of becoming a Lich to corrupt his soul as he separates it from his body, turning it instead into a powerful embodiment, a personal avatar of the Lich's dark power.
The housing for that power? The Lich's shadow.

Creating a Shade Lich
"Shade Lich" is an acquired template that can be applied to any sorcerer, wizard, or cleric of at least 12th level (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
A shade Lich uses all of the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: A base creature's type changes to undead, do not recalculate it's base attack bonus, saves, or skills. All of its hit die become d12s, and it no longer has a Constitution score. Its size does not change.
Armor Class: The base creature's natural armor bonus increases by 5, reflecting its loss of biological vulnerabilities.
Special Attacks: Betrayal of Shadow (Su): With a touch, a Shade Lich can force an enemy's shadow against them. With a successful melee touch, a Shade Lich can force an opponent to make a fortitude save (DC=10+Cha Modifier+1/2 HD) or be forced to make a single melee attack against himself at his full attack bonus each round, for a number of rounds equal to the Shade Lich's HD. Remove curse or break enchantment both cancel this effect.
Special Qualities: Shadow Phylactery (Su): A Shade Lich's shadow contains the essence of his soul, severed from his physical form. A Shadow Phylactery is an incorporeal Outsider with a number of HD equal to half the Shade Lich's HD, rounded down. They have the same ability scores as the Shade Lich, including the absence of a Constitution score (this is an exception to the rule that Outsiders have a Constitution score), and can act independently of the Shade Lich, although it always acts on the same Initiative as the Shade Lich. The Shadow Phylactery gains a deflection bonus equal to the Lich's Natural Bonus is If the Shadow Phylactery is ever more than 100 ft. from the Shade Lich, it will immediately reappear adjacent to the Shade Lich.
A Shadow Phylactery has the same spellcasting capabilities as the Shade Lich, although all spells allow are made of quasi-real shadowstuff, and allow a Will Save to be seen as 20% real (as per shadow conjuration.
Shadow Renewal (Su): The separation of the Lich's soul between himself and his shadow allows him to regenerate himself so long as one aspect survives. If either the Shade Lich or his Shadow Phylactery is destroyed, it reappears at the beginning of the next round with 1 hit point.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Dex +2, Int +4, Cha +4
Challenge Rating: As the Base Creature, +4.
Level Adjustment: +6
Alignment: Always Evil.

Becoming A Shade Lich: Becoming a Shade Lich requires an unspeakably evil ritual, which requires the sacrifice of a number of sentient creatures equal to twice the base creature's HD. In addition, the ritual requires exotic reagents costing an amount of gold equal to 1,000 times the base creature's HD, and a n amount of Xp equal to 200 times the base creature's HD.

Dante & Vergil
2007-11-20, 05:40 PM
Sorry no one here has posted about this, I myself found about this yesterday and finally got to look at it today. I do like your take on the Lich. It's very intuitive. This gives me ideas on making other kinds of Liches.:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Xeran
2007-11-20, 08:07 PM
I really like this. Seems like a good monster and the LA seems right as well.

TheLogman
2007-11-20, 08:14 PM
Sorry, but as of sometime in the summer, MitP is not accepting new Submissions. Excellent concept for homebrew, and great for a campaign, but please take off the MitP tag.

Quite powerful indeed. I mean, you're practically splitting yourself into two parts, both capable of spellcasting and other fun. A little too powerful for anything I play in, but a good final BBEG for a high level campaign.

DracoDei
2007-11-20, 08:28 PM
Actually.... It MIGHT open up again... note also that this is an OLD post which probably had every right to have that tag at the time it was originally posted... Forum necromancy (which *I* for one have NO objection to... I LIKE it... but I now know the rules say otherwise).

ArmorArmadillo
2007-11-21, 01:50 AM
Actually.... It MIGHT open up again... note also that this is an OLD post which probably had every right to have that tag at the time it was originally posted... Forum necromancy (which *I* for one have NO objection to... I LIKE it... but I now know the rules say otherwise).

Indeed, I had posted in a more MitP II-y age.

I almost forgot about this, it was an odd concept that didn't get much buzz at the time.

I'm glad people are liking it now.

In terms of feedback, my main concern would be the method of resurrection...it's meant to make it hard to kill the lich, as you need to simultaneously kill Lich and shadow, or else either can just grow back from the other.

Also, the idea of a double caster who casts 20% real in one form interested me, but should it be higher? Should the "Real" lich cast 80%? 60/40?

Well, anyways I'm glad it's getting attention at the moment.

DracoDei
2007-11-21, 08:08 AM
I would make Betrayal of Shadow make it so their own shadow attacks them, fighting as if it were they themselves, but with no spellcasting and only one attack per round (and no feats?), a victim's shadow can't be hurt in any way... basically comes to about the same thing except they don't lose actions... seems more thematic somehow. Keep the same duration and everything. This makes it not quite as strong as a regular lich's paralyzing touch, but better than the negative energy touch certainly. Also, I noted they get no bonus to wisdom... where is the love (hate?) for the clerical liches.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-21, 08:59 AM
It sounds nice, but the LA seems a little high. One attack at full BAB is not spectacular enough to warrant such a high LA, since people derive damage from sources like power attack, not a simple attack. Maybe, if you want it to be THAT high, the attack could use up the opponent's move action, so that you have to expend your standard to move?

TheLogman
2007-11-21, 11:48 AM
But dude, you are really getting another character of your almost same power level to play with, except they can only be killed when both are killed, in the same round!

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-21, 12:12 PM
Or you can just have a few dispellin' o' cancellin' spells ready, which are standard.

Hmm....now that I think of it, shouldn't a positive energy spell be able to counter the shade touch? That should balance it out: You can only do one standard or move, but you can shrug it off easily.

olelia
2007-11-21, 12:47 PM
Betrayal of Shadow (Su): With a touch, a Shade Lich can force an enemy's shadow against them. With a successful melee touch, a Shade Lich can force an opponent to make a fortitude save (DC=10+Cha Modifier+1/2 HD) or be forced to make a single melee attack against himself at his full attack bonus each round, for a number of rounds equal to the Shade Lich's HD. Remove curse or break enchantment both cancel this effect.

Is there too much point to the break enchantment since it takes 1 minute to cast? The lich would have to be 11 or more HD for this to actually be effictive...and if the mage is casting for 10 round then I'm concerned. :smalleek:

ArmorArmadillo
2007-11-21, 01:11 PM
I could make a point about how you could have started casting Break Enchantment for diffferent reasons before combat started and got BoS'd 1 round before you finished; but that's silly. Point taken.

As for Betrayal of Shadow, I thought of it as an alternative to the Save or Suck effect of the original Lich, but it's meant to be something to stop melee characters, so I should probably add some sort of disruptive effect to it.

The main effectiveness of the Shade Lich comes from his ability to cast twice a round, but he needs a way to stop spellcasters, so I might add spell-resistance.