PDA

View Full Version : What level of wizard can rick from rick and morty beat.

Sapreaver
2016-08-26, 03:04 AM
See topic title, rick can get help from the other ricks.

2016-08-26, 03:10 AM
See topic title, rick can get help from the other ricks.

We don't really know the full technological capabilities of Rick (or a bunch of Ricks working together), so that might be a bit difficult to judge. Of course, the biggest problem with taking out Rick is that by the canon of Rick And Morty, there's an infinite number of Ricks that would need to be killed across the multiverse; killing infinite people in infinite realities probably requires epic magic specifically geared to accomplishing that.

Killing a single Rick would be far easier.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-26, 03:28 AM
What's the earliest that a Wizard can cheese a wish? From there it's a candle of invocation into wish-loops galore and the wizard's actual level doesn't matter, because they can access any spell by wishing for the right magic item.

Xar Zarath
2016-08-26, 08:13 AM
Well if going by a Wizard 20, then rick would die. A Wizard of that level would be operating with an effective intelligence of near-30's. That's already above and beyond supra genius level. Whatever rick could do, perhaps travelling through time to kill the Wizard would already have been countered.

Whereas the Wizard could just Wish whatever devices rick is using away. Or even just Wish rick to a dimension where tech is no longer usable. It is known in the Forgotten Realms universe that Gond, a greater deity with rule over tech doesn't allow tech any higher than gunpowder and simple pistols.

Considering that an actual divine entity actively polices tech, rick wouldn't be able to operate or create any devices. Though this may lead him to learning magic but that can also be fixed with spells like Flesh to Stone or Imprisonment or even both.

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-26, 11:03 AM
What's the earliest that a Wizard can cheese a wish? From there it's a candle of invocation into wish-loops galore and the wizard's actual level doesn't matter, because they can access any spell by wishing for the right magic item.

I don't think it matters what the Wizard might do, there's always going to be a Rick hopping out of portal that slices the Wizard in half or something along those lines.

Well if going by a Wizard 20, then rick would die. A Wizard of that level would be operating with an effective intelligence of near-30's. That's already above and beyond supra genius level. Whatever rick could do, perhaps travelling through time to kill the Wizard would already have been countered.

By the shows standards Rick is the smartest individual in any given dimension, so he could effortlessly kill any wizard of any level while blind-folded and with both hands tied. Rick's only real impediment is that he's too lazy to be bothered to do things most of the time, not that he can't do things.

Sapreaver
2016-08-26, 11:56 AM
We don't really know the full technological capabilities of Rick (or a bunch of Ricks working together), so that might be a bit difficult to judge. Of course, the biggest problem with taking out Rick is that by the canon of Rick And Morty, there's an infinite number of Ricks that would need to be killed across the multiverse; killing infinite people in infinite realities probably requires epic magic specifically geared to accomplishing that.

Killing a single Rick would be far easier.

Rick was shown to be able to de curse magic using his tech in a short time.
In the episode something ricked this way comes. So he does has experience dealing with magic.

is there magic that let's you skip to different dimensions, I know plane shift isn't that but I guess going through the plane of Shadows?

dascarletm
2016-08-26, 12:01 PM
I mean the mad science in the show is basically magic.... so it's a tie.

Psyren
2016-08-26, 12:09 PM
I mean the mad science in the show is basically magic.... so it's a tie.

This. He's an Artificer. So you're pitting an Artificer against a Wizard, which... has been done, and usually works out the same as Wizard vs. Wizard (i.e. they don't fight at all, just hang out on their respective demiplanes and maybe play chess or poker or something similarly benign to settle whatever disputes they can't just resolve without even interacting in the first place.)

He's not even a Factotum with the Run feat like the Doctor is, he literally asspulls various mystic devices to solve a problem that generally he or Morty caused in the first place. He's an Artificer.

Coidzor
2016-08-26, 04:26 PM
is there magic that let's you skip to different dimensions, I know plane shift isn't that but I guess going through the plane of Shadows?

Epic Spellcasting can probably do it, but before then it's use a place like Sigil or the World Serpent Inn or the Infinite Staircase or schlep through the nastier parts of the plane of Shadow if you want to change which cosmology you're in.

Except for Eberron and Athas. Those are special.