PDA

View Full Version : Character with werewolf affliction. How to make them mechanically?

NiklasWB
2016-08-26, 04:14 AM
Hi playground,

I have an idea about making a character that is afflicted by lycanthropy but is starting to master it and can shapeshift at will. I’m thinking that the werewolf is the standard iconic were-creature, so let’s stick to that for now, even though other were-creatures could be an option. Also, I know there are rules in the Monster manual for PC were-creatures, but this basically puts them under DM-control, and there is no real fun in that.

My question is this: How would you guys go about making such a character likt his without homebrewing a class? I want to do as little changing to the mechanics as possible in order to remove over/underpowerdness. Also, I don’t really like Matt Mercer’s Blood Hunter Order of the Lycan because I don’t want to wear armor or use weapons in the shifted form… natural weapons is the way to go. I do like some of the fluff though, like the concept of the ‘Taming’.

So far I have a few ideas that could work, but they would all need some fixing before they would work.

Option 1: Druid (Circle of the Moon)
The druid already has wild shape, but it would take some work to build stats for a werewolf that gets a higher CR and better stats as you level up. The elemental forms at level 10 could be changed to Greater Werewolf-form. Might be worth it though. This would have the feel of a Druid that has mastered a single form, much like the kit Shapeshifter from the Baldur’s Gate games. Still a druid, but with the option to shift into a werewolf twice per short rest and stay in that form for a fairly long while. This is the more ‘tamed’ version where the character has mastered the beast and has full control.

Option 2: Barbarian (Berserker)
The Barbarian’s rage can easily be re-flavored as a quick transformation from man to werewolf. Resistance to Piercing, Slashing and Bludgeoning seems very appropriate, as does the Frenzy, Mindless rage, Intimidating presence and retaliation. All in all, this gives the feel of the more classic ‘brutal’ werewolf. Still with some control, but also suffering from exhaustion if you take it too far. This would be a fairly easy re-flavoring in order to work, and would require much less work than the druid’s wild shape... With the slight exception of having to give him natural weapons of some sort. Since one would like to make two claw attacks or one claw and one bite attack one would maybe have to give min the equivalent of two short swords, or longswords (which would then require a Feat). Two weapon fighting would also render the Frenzy attack useless. So I’m guessing one would never get the exhaustion this way, which kind of goes against the concept of the transformation taking its toll on the body.

Option 3: Barbarian (Totem)

Similar to the other Barbarian path, Rage fits well with the shorter combat oriented shapeshifting of a brutal fighting werewolf. The Totems give him a sort of mix between the controlled druid and the more feral berserker. Both Bear and Wolf totem seems appropriate, depending on which were-creature you pick. This one also has the benefit of not wasting a class feature bonus action by going two weapon fighting.

Option 4: Druid / Barbarian multiclass
Kind of like the totem barbarian, this would be a middle path towards getting both long lasting control of the beast through the druid, and the rage benefits of the barbarian. I’m not even sure how one would build a character this way though. Barbarian 3 / Druid 17?

I’d appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Arkhios
2016-08-26, 04:28 AM
Option 4: Wizard (transmuter)

This requires a 10th level transmuter to go live, but when you reach there, you'll be able to Polymorph yourself, without expending a spell slot, into a creature up to a Challenge Rating 1 (a wolf is CR 1/4, a Dire Wolf is CR 1!), and need only a short rest to do it again.

A fun thing to consider. Most Transmutation spells I can think of don't require a saving throw or a spell attack roll, so you could technically be a low-int transmuter wizard, with feral recklessness in your blood.