PDA

View Full Version : Missing limbs?

Ghal Marak
2007-07-06, 08:05 PM
Hello!

I was pondering over creating a barbarian character that had lost a hand when he was younger, and I had just set about laying down the stats when I realized that I have no clue how it would affect the game mechanics wise.

Obviously, he can't use two weapons (unless he uses a stump knife), and things of that nature. But would it affect his strength, dex, ECT?

And while where on the subject, what about other missing limbs/parts/organs?

I ask here because I have no clue where to even begin to look in the books.

Help would be much appreceated. :smallsmile:

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-06, 08:53 PM
Well, loss of hand should probably impose a penalty on Climb(not particularly umm, crippling, if you have racial climb speed, you get an automatic +8 normally, so say +6 instead), and depending on how you do it, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Open Locks, Sleight of Hand, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.

Loss of a lower extremity should count as -5 foot to all movement except flight per part lost(foot, lower leg, near hip, for total of -15 for total loss of leg). Possibly total loss of 5 foot step option.

Edit: Skills affected by loss of leg use would include Balance, Climb, Hide(maybe), Jump, Move Silently, Swim, Tumble.

TheLogman
2007-07-06, 09:52 PM
I was pretty sure there were rules for this, something like -4 to Dexterity and Strength, and then -4 to anything like Open Lock, Slight of Hand, Climb, Swim, ect.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-07, 04:43 PM
Hello!

I was pondering over creating a barbarian character that had lost a hand when he was younger, and I had just set about laying down the stats when I realized that I have no clue how it would affect the game mechanics wise.

I played a barbarian once who lost his hand half way through the campaign. My DM allowed me to rebuild him with a few levels of Fighter so I could get TWF and a stump knife (Arms and Equipment Guide).
However it didn't infringe on his ability to climb/use rope etc (because nodody could be bothered to figue out the penalties). If it affects anything it would be dex.

goat
2007-07-07, 08:29 PM
Really, a missing limb should open up pathways as it shuts some off. While you lose a hand, and dexterity with it (the only stat I'd tie to all "hand" skills", strength should probably be reduced via application in some situations), you might gain grapple with a hook, intimidate with a stump knife/hammer or almost anything with a magical prostheitic.

Loss of a leg I would consider as a more serious thing. It can't be easily replaced, and a prosthetic should be quite expensive.

A fake hand might include wands, or some sort of encounter altering ability. But I'd expect a high quality fake leg to recreate good mobility.