PDA

View Full Version : Half Elves of a Different Stripe

TheElfLord
2007-07-06, 08:13 PM
So we are all familair with the player's handbook half-elf, which to my knowlege results from a combination between a humans and high elves. My question to you is what happens when other elven subraces mate with humans?

First, are there any books that deal with this issue?

Second, if there aren't, how would you handles such a thing? Would you keep all the mechanical aspects the same? Or give different abilties based on the elven componet. I'm thinking of all the elven subraces but especally aquatic elves, since they seem the most different from high elves and humans.

Talya
2007-07-06, 08:26 PM
So we are all familair with the player's handbook half-elf, which to my knowlege results from a combination between a humans and high elves. My question to you is what happens when other elven subraces mate with humans?

First, are there any books that deal with this issue?

Second, if there aren't, how would you handles such a thing? Would you keep all the mechanical aspects the same? Or give different abilties based on the elven componet. I'm thinking of all the elven subraces but especally aquatic elves, since they seem the most different from high elves and humans.

There are half-drow. And I think Stormwrack has aquatic half elves.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-07, 03:30 AM
Races of Faerun has half-elves of the non-standard elven races, though I don't remember any major mechanical changes (except maybe half-drow having darkvision or something) and I don't have a copy of the book to hand. I think the human lineage washes out any of the special elven traits...

Hazkali
2007-07-08, 04:10 AM
Half-drow have darkvision 60ft instead of Low-light vision, and that is the only change from regular half-elves (mechanically). I couldn't say for the others.

Krrth
2007-07-09, 09:10 AM
Half-Aquatics gain a swim speed, and can get water breathing with a feat.

DeathQuaker
2007-07-09, 09:18 AM
Usually it's assumed that, apart from the exceptions already noted, a half-elf of a given elven subrace has no mechanical differences from any other subrace. After all, a half-elf's "elven" traits are pretty universal to most elves (low-light vision, Elven blood, heightened senses, immunity to sleep).

The differences are only superficial. In the Forgotten Realms, say, a half-moon elf may have very pale skin, possibly even silvery or bluish; a half-sun elf will likely have a somewhat golden complexion.