PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Incarnate: the Last of the Lacers project complete! Avatar: the Last Airbender in 5e!

McToomin
2016-08-26, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone! You may or may not recognize me, I posted here years ago trying to work on an Avatar set of options for players in 3.5e. Eventually that morphed into a Pathfinder project, and then Pathfinder e6, before finally settling into 5e.

I'm really proud to say that the project is FINALLY complete (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/191837/Incarnate-The-Last-of-the-Lacers)!

It's been heavily vetted and critiqued by reddit's UnearthedArcana (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/), so everything should be great as far as balance and power is concerned.

I'd link directly to a file, but you're not allowed to post stuff anywhere else if you put it on the DMs Guild. However, it's pay-what-you-want, so feel free to pay nothing and check it out!

Thanks!

Kryx
2016-08-27, 06:02 AM
I was looking for this thread yesterday, nice to see that you've completed it. It would be nice to have PDF bookmarks on your project. And the spacing on page 105 (monsters) is off.

I just finished my Monk Rework (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498675-Monk-Rework) which also heavily features Avatar: The Last Airbender inspiration.

Definitely some interesting ideas you have here. Though it's too much of a departure from 5e for me to incorporate it into my games, I could see running a game solely with this system being fun.

McToomin
2016-08-27, 05:07 PM
I'm just curious which parts you think are a departure? The only thing I really went away from 5e design on (I feel) is the feat chains, but I felt like feat chains worked better for those ideas than prestige classes. Otherwise, I'd just like to know what you think is a departure?

TundraBuccaneer
2016-08-27, 05:39 PM
I really like it, especially the creatures that you have added. Something that I really missed in the official D&D books were interesting fey creatures and there are so many interesting and exiting creatures I could make a lot of plot points and even story's based around.

Kryx
2016-08-27, 05:56 PM
By departure I meant that the system is vastly different. Sometimes for flavor purposes. For example Shu/Ha/Ri system instead of levels as used for spells. I understand it's done for flavor so it doesn't seem like spells, but realistically that's what they are and creating a different system is off-putting. It's off-putting because I now have to think "how does this compare to the normal spell level stuff? 3 levels? How does each compare to spell levels? Did he just combine several levels to make each Shu/Ha/Ri? Oh boy that sounds like it doesn't fit with the normal system (though again it'd be find as a standalone)"

On a similar topic: A Lacer's Elemental Strike should likely be a spell attack, not a weapon. See Radiant Sun Bolt on SCAG 131.

For Lacer I would expect each bending power to be an archetype. Instead you've made fighting styles as archetypes. It's a strange situation where you basically have 2 archetypes for the class. This could be avoided by combining them - Animal style is the only one that isn't exclusive and it's flavor doesn't make so much sense to me in the 4 element paradigm. But that doesn't work for Samari.

Samari adds the same complexity for sake of flavor. It seems you were heavily inspired by MoI with the Chakra, but again it seems like spells should just be called spells and be given at the appropriate level. I get that there is some flavor for why they are different, but I think you could maintain the differences while still keeping the expected level system so it's easy to understand/compare.
I'm also confused on the overall system. It seems to get 2 different sources for spells (Chakra and Lacing forms). That seems like it shouldn't be the case..

This is just my thoughts so don't take it too harshly. I only looked through the two classes and forms mainly. It's obvious that you have put in a lot of work into this project.