PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Dispel Magic & Counterspell

Degwerks
2016-08-26, 10:46 AM
If I try to Counterspell another caster and his spell is higher than the slot I used, I would just make an ability check with my spellcasting mod right? I don't get my proficiency bonus on it as well do I?

With Dispel Magic, the spell says (roughly) any spell 3rd lvl or lower on the target, the spell ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check, if successful the spell ends on the target.

Does Dispel Magic allow me to end multiple spells on a target with one casting of the spell?

BiPolar
2016-08-26, 10:50 AM
If I try to Counterspell another caster and his spell is higher than the slot I used, I would just make an ability check with my spellcasting mod right? I don't get my proficiency bonus on it as well do I?

With Dispel Magic, the spell says (roughly) any spell 3rd lvl or lower on the target, the spell ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check, if successful the spell ends on the target.

Does Dispel Magic allow me to end multiple spells on a target with one casting of the spell?
The ability checks are just straight rolls plus your modifier. No proficiency bonus.

Dispel only affects one magical effect. Antimagic zone would do all.

Dalebert
2016-08-26, 11:38 AM
Antimagic zone would do all.

Feel the need to clarify that antimagic would just suppress the effect while in the area. It would resume if the target leaves it.

RickAllison
2016-08-26, 12:09 PM
If you would like a bonus to the attempt, Abjurationists get their proficiency bonus while Bards get Jack of all Trades to get half proficiency.

Also note that if somehow one could cast the spells through Constitution like the genasi, then Champions would get half proficiency as well!

Demonslayer666
2016-08-26, 12:33 PM
The ability checks are just straight rolls plus your modifier. No proficiency bonus.

Dispel only affects one magical effect. Antimagic zone would do all.

Dispel Magic can affect more than one if you target the creature. You can specifically target one magical effect if you wish.

"Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends." Note that it does not say any one you choose, or choose one of them.

and

"For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, ..., the spell ends."

Degwerks
2016-08-26, 01:23 PM
Yeah, that's why I needed to ask, it sounds like it could end multiple effects if you targeted a creature..