PDA

View Full Version : Halflife/bioshock/deadspace sorts of games?

Eladrinblade
2016-08-26, 07:49 PM
I'm looking for more games with this sort of theme:

Half-life: explore and scavenge a futuristic science laboratory while fighting and dealing with problems

Bioshock: explore and scavenge a futuristic underwater city while fighting and dealing with problems

Deadspace: explore and scavenge a futuristic spaceship while fighting and dealing with problems

I'm aware of the sequels, and I'm aware of system shock. What other high-quality games of this type might I be missing?

factotum
2016-08-26, 07:57 PM
Well, you're missing the granddaddy of them all, System Shock, and its even better sequel System Shock 2...in fact, you might be best off playing 2 first and waiting for the System Shock remake that's currently being worked on via Kickstarter to play the original, because it's a pretty darned old game now.

shadow_archmagi
2016-08-27, 03:42 PM
You're missing Red Faction, for one!

Eladrinblade
2016-08-27, 04:10 PM
You're missing Red Faction, for one!

Actually no, though I suppose it does fit. Haven't played it in 15 years, though.

darksolitaire
2016-08-27, 04:12 PM
Alien: Isolation has same overall theme to those you've listed. Still, it doesn't really share the genre.

Rodin
2016-08-27, 04:25 PM
Doom 3 also seems like it fits the bill.

houlio
2016-08-27, 07:29 PM
Genre is quite different, but I have discovered Dark Souls to be one of best exploration games I have ever played (if you haven't played it already of course). The first one is relatively cheap, and is awesome on PC with the proper mods (mostly just DSfix). I have almost no knowledge of its sequels besides hearing the 2 is more or less inferior to the first one.

RagingKrikkit
2016-08-28, 12:31 PM
Perhaps Metro 2033? Explore and scavenge in a post-nuclear Moscow subway system while fighting and dealing with problems. It blends the environmental exploration of Haf-Life with the horror elements of Bioshock and Dead Space with a touch of Thief-esque stealth. Just be sure to play it on hard with most of the HUD turned off to really nail the "survive" part.

gooddragon1
2016-08-28, 01:06 PM
I wonder if the deus ex series counts? Explore cities and make decisions while solving problems.

Eladrinblade
2016-08-29, 03:46 AM
I checked out most of the suggestions on youtube.

Alien: Isolation has same overall theme to those you've listed. Still, it doesn't really share the genre.

This looks freaking awesome (and scary as hell). Definitely gonna try this one out.

Doom 3 also seems like it fits the bill.

Almost; it's too run&gun, not enough exploring/solving.

Dark Souls to be one of best exploration games

Tempting..., from what I've seen, the combat looks lame. Could you maybe elaborate a bit on the exploration part?

Perhaps Metro 2033?

I'm afraid I spoiled myself on this one a long time ago.

I wonder if the deus ex series counts? Explore cities and make decisions while solving problems.

I've had people suggest these games to me since like 2000, at least. I suppose I ought to get around to it, but I don't think these fit the bill either.

Krazzman
2016-08-29, 03:51 AM
System Shock has a Kickstarter page for a remake which looks awesome.

Far Cry 3 Blooddragon (not a DLC, standalone game) is quite good albeit short.

Quake should be too much run'n'gun too, right?

gooddragon1
2016-08-29, 04:05 AM
Here's an example of a side quest in deus ex human revolution: Corporate Warfare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0G-HqA-L-4). 9 minutes 16 seconds.

It shows a walkthrough of the quest and some of the game's features as well as some decisions affecting things (that's a theme in the deus ex series). Doesn't show hacking because he didn't use it.

Cheesegear
2016-08-29, 05:48 AM
I like the STALKER series, myself.

houlio
2016-08-29, 08:31 AM
Tempting..., from what I've seen, the combat looks lame. Could you maybe elaborate a bit on the exploration part?.

I had similar reservations at first myself (I only started playing it about a month ago). I considered the game to have artificially bad controls and combat, but now that I'm giving it a fair shake, I found it has a nice flow to attacks, blocks and parries. The way the game makes you learn the patterns of enemies also feels extremely rewarding once you actually do it. Also, it has the best boss fights out there.

The level design is what makes the exploration in the game feel great. While the game first felt like a hallway you had to walk down, it pretty quickly opens up into a number of diverse areas. The game is riddled with shortcuts, side routes, and alternate pathways as you play. Additionally, the presentation of the game's lore works quite well. It's largely based on item descriptions or extremely short snippets of character conversation and requires the player to put pieces together to fabricate a complete picture.

Essentially, Dark Souls has the player do much of the "work" to play the game but in such a way that it actually feels like you accomplished something while you play.

Also, I think as someone else just pointed out, STALKER is also an amazing game (specifically Shadow of Chernobyl).

Rakaydos
2016-09-06, 09:50 AM
Metroid Prime.
Zero Mission and Super Metroid if you feel 2D isnt a dealbreaker.
Metroid practically invented what you're looking for.

Just stay away from the usual suspects- Prime: Hunters and Other M