PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Item Skills (pathfinder)

Ecliptic
2016-08-27, 03:38 AM
Yet another random pathfinder question.

I'm creating an intelligent item and I'm using the Herolab program. The item has 12 int,12 cha, and 18 wis. It also has skills - appraise, bluff, diplomacy, disguise, heal, intimidate, perception, sense motive, survival.

What should those skills base their points on? Items don't gain levels, so the skills won't increase by level due to int... but the skills themselves are keyed off of the mental scores... so the perception score for this item should be 4. Herolab, however, keyed the weapon's skills as simply my hero's corresponding modifier. My hero has a wisdom of 8, so the weapon has a perception of -1 instead of 5. It seems like the item should at least have bonuses based on its own capabilities, no? Is roleplay the sole purpose of giving the items int, cha, and wis? What am I missing? Or does herolab just have the programming incorrect?

Thanks

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-27, 10:41 AM
Intelligent items can get skill ranks as lesser item powers, as in the table on this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm). If the item doesn't have any of those powers, I think it'd just be using its ability scores. Herolab substituting your scores for its may be an error - perhaps the program's drawing from the same AbilityScore field and not recognizing that there's two sets of stats floating around.