PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dealing with Drow Poison

Valcor
2016-08-27, 06:34 AM
Greetings all.
Tomorrow night we'll be venturing into the Underdark. I have been furiously trying to ditch my ignorance on the topic of Drow. What I have found has not indicated that the night will be blissful and wholesome.

While we have a good force of about 400 orcs tricked into following us down there to fight for treasure and glory, I'm hoping to figure out ways to counteract typical Drow assaults - as I have learned to 1) expect the worst 2) look up 3) it's a trap 4) don't go down there.

I'm mostly worried about that poison! Any ideas on how to protect from poison? We're only lv6, and my budget is modest at 4.5k, plus I'm not sure I'll be able to buy what I need. But I figured it'd be good to at least ask here.

Any other tips on fighting Drow very welcome!
PS I'm a half-orc Warblade, I have daylight pellets and sunrods

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-27, 10:38 AM
Well, sleep immunity doesn't help, because it's a knockout drug. If you have time to prepare in-game before descending, maybe you could put forward the idea of partially inoculating yourselves with small doses (á la Iocaine powder in The Princess Bride) and see what your DM thinks.

dantiesilva
2016-08-27, 10:45 AM
Don't drink any wine they give you, just because it is not poisonous to them doesn't mean it is harmless to the newbie exploring their world. Sure its a low DC (I think 14 or so) but if you acuse them of poisioning you they will drink the wine and nothing will happen because they have been drinking the stuff for ages making you think it is safe when it is not. I would advise buying a **** ton of that wine and making everyone drink it for I believe it is two months before you become immune to it. At least then if you somehow sit down for a nice peaceful meal with a drow you do not have to worry about being robbed, tied up, and sold into slavery.

J-H
2016-08-27, 12:14 PM
Antitoxin is 50gp and gives you a +5 on your saves for an hour at a time.

Insectbane candles will keep away some of the giant spiders.

Inevitability
2016-08-27, 02:15 PM
You could always become a necropolitian. Alternatively, buy the party cleric some wands of Delay Poison: each wand should last for six days if you keep the effect up continuously, or longer if you only apply the spell when danger is high.

Valcor
2016-08-27, 08:26 PM
Thanks everyone! (and Dire Stirge, as usual)

That's helpful! Antitoxin huh? I'll do that if we can't swing a wand of delay poison! And I'll buy plenty of candles too - I don't even know what the spiders are all about!

Crake
2016-08-27, 09:35 PM
Don't drink any wine they give you, just because it is not poisonous to them doesn't mean it is harmless to the newbie exploring their world. Sure its a low DC (I think 14 or so) but if you acuse them of poisioning you they will drink the wine and nothing will happen because they have been drinking the stuff for ages making you think it is safe when it is not. I would advise buying a **** ton of that wine and making everyone drink it for I believe it is two months before you become immune to it. At least then if you somehow sit down for a nice peaceful meal with a drow you do not have to worry about being robbed, tied up, and sold into slavery.

You're confusing drow poison, an injury poison, with oil of taggit, an ingested poison with a similar effect. I somehow don't quite think with a band of 400 orcs that they're going to be sitting down around the same table with drow any time soon.

dantiesilva
2016-08-27, 11:01 PM
You're confusing drow poison, an injury poison, with oil of taggit, an ingested poison with a similar effect. I somehow don't quite think with a band of 400 orcs that they're going to be sitting down around the same table with drow any time soon.

I'm actually referring to Drow Spiderblood. Again it is a wine not a poison to the drow however it acts like a poison to those not used to it. Its something that every drow table would have and such.If you need help finding it this is where (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0) I first learned about it making a changling assassin a while back.

Crake
2016-08-27, 11:56 PM
I'm actually referring to Drow Spiderblood. Again it is a wine not a poison to the drow however it acts like a poison to those not used to it. Its something that every drow table would have and such.If you need help finding it this is where (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0) I first learned about it making a changling assassin a while back.

Ah right, the last bit you said about being robbed, tied up and sold led me to believe you were talking about a knockout poison. Spiderblood is a con poison, so it would just kill you (or make you easier to kill I guess)

dantiesilva
2016-08-28, 12:42 AM
Con damage weakens fort saves meaning other poisons can kick in, more of a one two punch. Or they could nonlethal damage you for the knockout slavery fun after you take the con damage.

As you said with 400 or so orcs the chance of them sitting down to drink with you is unlikly, however when dealing with drow suspect all food supplies found to be tainted. And if anyone staggers off they are more than likly dead meaning 400 drops rather fast in the underdark between monsters of the underdark, and the inhabitants. And once the numbers are down to like 100, the military might of a drow house hold them happily walking you in for enslavement or death is very possible.