PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Help designing a Spirit Guardian

Azoth
2016-08-27, 07:55 AM
Okay, so my DM has decided I have more than met the requirements to take the feat Summon Spirit Guardian, and that I have a wide variety of options for a guardian. Thought the campaign so far I have made friends out of several elementals, mephits, and good aligned outsiders which are most of the choices allowed by the feat.

Obligatory link to the feat
http://archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Summon%20Guardian%20Spir it

Obligatory link to the template
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/guardian-spirit-cr-varies

He has even decided that if I wish to outfit my Guardian Spirit with equipment it will appear with said equipment every time I summon it. He has also explicitly stated I have full control of its skills, feats, and stat upgrades from HD.

Naturally, I thought to design it to be a decent beatstick, since getting a pocket caster is out of the question. The issue here is that most options are tiny sized with the exception of Mephits, Elementals, and a few outsiders that are mostly evil. So, I am turning to the minds of the forum to help me take this option and make it something worthwhile. Allowed sources are anything published by Paizo and Dreamscarred Press.

Party Composition: All lvl5

Human Zweihander Sentinel Warder: Charges and is damage focus. Uses Silver Crane primarily.

Human Unchained Rogue: Skillmonkey build with minimal combat use

Ratfolk Grenadier Alchemist: Ranged damage dealer and loves AoE's.

(Myself) Human Menhir Savant Druid: Summoning/BFC focused.

(AC) Wolf: Shifting feats (from LotW) to improve front line capabilities and survivability.

Campaign:
The campaign is somewhat Kingmaker-lite without the AP. We are settling and helping expand a new frontier town. Current BBEG/hassle is a crazy Necromancer and his cult blighting the land and abducting townsfolk for reason's yet undetermined. Lots of Undead and middling Devils/Demons so far.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-27, 11:24 AM
Hm. Looking at the party composition, you seem pretty set in terms of combat ability. With that in mind, a utility or support-focused Spirit Guardian is probably best. Your party also happens to lack an arcane spellcaster, so maybe you could choose something to help cover that gap. With those two things in mind, here's some ideas (and their notable abilities).

Silvanshee Agathion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/agathion/agathion-silvanshee): 90-foot fly speed (good), constant Tongues/Speak with Animals/Know Direction, Gaseous Form (at normal speed!) up to 5 minutes/day, +Cha to saves (which is +4 thanks to the template) and can grant the bonus to an ally for 10 minutes 1/day. Oh, and it's a cat. A magical flying cat. Groups of them are even called clowders :3
Cassisian Angel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/angel/angel-cassisian): 60-foot fly speed (perfect), constant Tongues/Detect Evil/Know Direction, breath weapon (1d6, but it's on-demand fire or cold damage). It also has a custom ability called Perfect Memory, which is exactly what it says on the tin - they're called out as able to "faultlessly recite conversations they heard hundreds of years before". Good IC explanation for the detailed notes you're taking :smalltongue: It's also a winged helmet, which means it's a creature you can wear as a hat.
Harbinger Archon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/archon/archon-harbinger): 50-foot fly speed (perfect), constant Tongues/Detect Evil, 3/day CLW and Protection from Evil, at-will gaseous form (at normal speed!), and it's a flying orrery. That's awesome. Paizo really brings their A-game when they design outsiders.
Lyrakien Azata (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/azata/azata-lyrakien): 80-foot fly speed (perfect), constant Tongues/Detect Evil/Detect Magic/Freedom of Movement (!), at-will ventriloquism, can remove exhaustion or fatigue 1/day by singing for a minute. They've also got at-will Summon Instrument and a +11 to any one Perform, so they'd make for some nice campfire entertainment.

Pyromancer999
2016-08-27, 01:05 PM
Hm. Looking at the party composition, you seem pretty set in terms of combat ability. With that in mind, a utility or support-focused Spirit Guardian is probably best. Your party also happens to lack an arcane spellcaster, so maybe you could choose something to help cover that gap. With those two things in mind, here's some ideas (and their notable abilities).

Silvanshee Agathion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/agathion/agathion-silvanshee): 90-foot fly speed (good), constant Tongues/Speak with Animals/Know Direction, Gaseous Form (at normal speed!) up to 5 minutes/day, +Cha to saves (which is +4 thanks to the template) and can grant the bonus to an ally for 10 minutes 1/day. Oh, and it's a cat. A magical flying cat. Groups of them are even called clowders :3

It's actually +5(given that base score is boosted to 18, then +2 to all ability scores to start). Still, this is my favorite choice for this.

Also, there are other ones that may be useful for boosting save DCs or otherwise improving abilities through Charisma(only the abilities of which are expounded upon below, although the rest seems solid):

Psychopomp, Nosoi: Charisma-based Fascinate effect, which explicitly affects Undead.

Kami, Shikigami: Gets Charisma instead of Strength to Damage with Improvised Weapons, which it can use just fine and also make them have a x3 crit multiplier.

Protean, Voidworm: Tail Slap attack for 1-round Confusion, Charisma-based save DC. Granted, the slap doesn't do much damage aside from that.

Caypup: Probably the best choice for a Strength-based fighter(Str 15 before any adjustments), also has Small size, has a 3/day Charisma-based Sanctuary effect, and is adorable because it's a puppy.

Honorable Mention: Pooka: Not Charisma-based, but has pretty solid base stats and abilities (including Dex-combat capability, so if you get that an Agile weapon, prepare for fun), and also has a poison that damages Wisdom and Charisma. Granted, the base save is low, but if there's a way for you to boost the poison's DC through feats or items somehow, you're in business for a more or less consistent, if small, amount of ability score damage.

Azoth
2016-08-27, 03:28 PM
I was actually looking at the Positive Energy Elemental, or my DM's brewed Positive Energy Mephit.

The Mephit has condition less fast healing as long as it isn't a Unhallowed area, Channel Energy 1/hr HD= Cleric Level, and 1/day 30ft Aura for 1min/HD all Positive/Sacred Energy effects are maximized.

This would give me the ability to summon a pocket healer when we need it. I figured with the now good Charisma give it UMD and all the wands we find as loot. Still not sure what to nab, or even what feats to give it.

I noticed the utility creatures, but wasn't sure if they would be worth it. Since they can't gain any class abilities only HD advancement. Any use I get out of them is going to be from feats and the party's spare gear.

Pyromancer999
2016-08-27, 04:47 PM
That indeed wouldn't be a bad option if you're looking for a healer. Don't forget that the Guardian can still gain some healing through its SLAs, though, like Breath of Life, Regenerate, and Cure Serious Wounds. Also, since it won't be around for multiple hours at a time, you'll be spending a spell slot of the attuned level each time you want to use its Channel or other abilities.

Azoth
2016-08-27, 05:30 PM
I had thought to use its feats on Martial Training 1-6 for Silver Crane access which gives several strikes/boosts that heal damage to allies while putting extra hurt on enemies. Not 100% though.

For SLA's I thought to do:
Guidance
Lvl3: Ill Omen
Lvl4: Invisibility
Lvl5: Cure Moderate Wounds
Lvl6: Deathward
Lvl7: Breath of Life
Lvl8: Greater Heroism
Lvl9: Regenerate

Pyromancer999
2016-08-27, 08:21 PM
Not a bad plan, although each maneuver will still be 1/combat(depends on your game whether or not it'll be used more than once per summoning). Also, the SLA is Cure Serious Wounds, not Moderate.

Azoth
2016-08-27, 09:17 PM
Since you suggested using the Silvanshee Agathion as a utility summon, could you give an example of some feats to help make it worth one of my highest level spell slots?

I can see some applications for it, but am struggling to see what feat chains would make it worth mid/high level slots.