PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Fiery burst DC

Keral
2016-08-27, 08:23 AM
Hullo, I've been playing my sorcerer with Fiery burst for a while and I was trying to figure out a way to increase its DC, but then I realized I'm not sure which DC applies to it.

So far I used the DC of the fire spell I use in order to keep fiery burst. But I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm using schorching ray to "power" fiery burst. As a second level spell my DC is 17. I know I can technically use heighten spell and make it a 3rd level spell so I can get the DC up to 18. But can I get it any higher with other methods?

And while we're at it, fiery burst gives me a +1 caster level to fire spells, so if I heighten my schorching ray and add one caster level would fiery burst have a DC of 19?

I tried to look around but I only found ways to increase the DC of a certain school of magic. Would that do if the spell I used to power FB belonged to that school?

Thanks in advance

Zancloufer
2016-08-27, 08:38 AM
The DC of spells (power/manoeuvres) is generally 10+Spell Level (not Caster level)+Stat mod (usually a spell casting stat). So anything that increases the CL of fire spells will improve it's range, damage, spell penetration etc, but not DC. However there are feats and class features that increase the saving throw DC of certain spells. You are otherwise correct in calculating it's DC. So pick up something like Spell Focus : Evocation if you really want +2 to it's DC.

Also Fiery Burst is a SUPERNATURAL ABILITY that is usable at will (as long as you have a fire spell). Su Abilities ignore SR, do not provoke AoOs and have no Vocal, Somamatic or material components (while they technically don't have a Focus, reserve feats technically do in the form of a spell you have available). Worth noting.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-27, 08:41 AM
The general rules on reserve feats indicate that you're right: the save DC is equal to 10 + [spell level enabling reserve feat] + [ability modifier for that spell's DC]. For example, a wizard 5/sorcerer 6 with a prepared fireball and a sorcerer schorching ray would use a DC of 10 + 3 + INT, or 10 + 2 + CHA.

You can probably increase the DC with Ability Focus, as reserve feats are (Su) abilities, and arguably special attacks. You can also Heighten spells even further, by using Earth Spell, Eldritch Corruption (if evil), or Improved Krau Sigil (if illumian).

Caster level has nothing to do with save DCs. Increasing caster level increases the spell's damage and ability to overcome SR, but doesn't affect the reserve feat's power in any way.

Spell Focus won't increase the DC of a reserve feat, as reserve feat abilities are not spells.

OldTrees1
2016-08-27, 09:05 AM
Caster level (and the +1 caster level bonus) has nothing to do with spell level or Fiery Burst DC

What does matter is the level of the spell. Metamagic increases the slot level but not the spell level (unless it says otherwise like Heighten Spell).

So if you have a 5th level slot filled with a Still(+1) Heightened(+2) Scorching Ray(2nd), then that would count as a 4th level spell(2nd+2=4th) for a Fiery Burst DC of 19.

Can the Ability Focus feat(+2 DC) apply to Fiery Burst?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-27, 09:09 AM
Can the Ability Focus feat(+2 DC) apply to Fiery Burst?
The MM1 version of the feat only requires a 'special attack', and I think Fiery Burst does qualify.

Keral
2016-08-27, 12:56 PM
Thank you! I'll have to see if it's worth to spend a feat on it. Although I'm kinda rethinking my whole character. The fact that my PrC made me skip a spellcasting level seems quite worse now than it did before.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-27, 01:28 PM
Thank you! I'll have to see if it's worth to spend a feat on it. Although I'm kinda rethinking my whole character. The fact that my PrC made me skip a spellcasting level seems quite worse now than it did before.
It's the most important rule in building a spellcaster: don't lose spellcasting. The rule is not absolute, but spells are really, really important.

If you post your exact build, the Playground can provide more accurate advice. A build focused on reserve feats can be pretty cool, I think, even if it's not a high-power choice.

Keral
2016-08-28, 03:04 AM
The point might be moot now. My DM is considering allowing me to die and bring forth another character.

In that case I'll be sure to ask for advice for the new character.