PDA

View Full Version : Is there a procedurally generating VTT?

Chimera245
2016-08-27, 09:55 AM
Is there a way to have a virtual tabletop randomly generate things on command? Things like dungeons, cities, nearby terrain, etc.

I've been feeling the RPing bug lately. I have no one to play with, but that's fine by me, I enjoy throwing a small group of characters into randomly-generated circumstances, and seeing what happens. The Mythic RPG is great for this.

But even with the huge wealth of various thing-generators on the internet, it's always up to me to translate that awesome complicated map I got in an instant from Donjon into my VTT of choice, one rectangular-drawing-tool rectangle at a time.

I can go to the internet for an instant level 20 cleric, complete with prepared spells, and equipment, but I have to enter those stats into the VTT cleric token one at a time.

Is there any way to make this more automatic?

Like is there a VTT out there somewhere that will auto-generate stuff for you in-game, without needing to transfer it in yourself?

thedanster7000
2016-08-27, 10:39 AM
One option is to find a moddable one and program it yourself.

Chimera245
2016-08-27, 11:24 AM
How do I tell which ones are moddable?

thedanster7000
2016-08-27, 12:34 PM
Look at their info page or FAQ in you're unsure. Things like Tabletop Simulator are, and things like Roll20 aren't if that helps.

Another option, assuming you're the GM, is to have a program that procedurally generates an image of a dungeon/whatever that you can just insert into the VTT.

JeenLeen
2016-08-29, 08:24 AM
I don't have a great answer, but you might get better results if you ask a moderator to move this to the "Mad Science and Grumpy Technology" subforum.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can either PM them or report your opening post and describe there that you'd like it move. (This subforum is appropriate to your question, but I think the other one is more appropriate.)

---
If your VTT has an import feature and the token-generator has an export version, maybe you can export it as a csv or other text-like file, then write some code to read it and translate it into the required import format for your VTT-of-choice.

It would probably be annoying, but I could visualize doing something like that with Visual Basic through Excel's Developer tab. Probably way easier with some other computer languages.

Maps are probably harder, unless the import/export happen to be similar enough you could do a few manual edits to make it the right format. (And I realize the 'export' might just be a .jpg or something you can't import into the VTT-of-choice.)

Segev
2016-08-29, 10:13 AM
d20srd.org has a random dungeon generator (and other random generators), and you could build them yourself in Tabletop Simulator from the dungeon maps it generates. I don't know if that's good enough for what you're looking for or not, though.