PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The best type of Bag of Holding

EldritchWeaver
2016-08-27, 11:39 AM
There are a number of different magic items, which basically are some kind of variant of bag of holding. For my newest character I'm looking for the most useful one. Namely differences in size, extra options, action economy, automatic scaling, etc. If you could choose any of them (neither price nor GM permission being an issue), which would you recommend to me?

Ecliptic
2016-08-27, 12:39 PM
depends on the purpose of the bag...

if you want as much storage as possible, go with a bag of holding type 4.

if you want something that holds just enough for you and is useful during play (I. e. quick access to things stored in it and usable during combat) get a handy haversack

another option is a bag of concealment, type 4, if you want to make sure no one can access your stuff. it has less space, but only you can access it's contents... to everyone else, it just looks like a regular, nonmagical backpack.

EldritchWeaver
2016-08-27, 02:27 PM
depends on the purpose of the bag...

if you want as much storage as possible, go with a bag of holding type 4.

if you want something that holds just enough for you and is useful during play (I. e. quick access to things stored in it and usable during combat) get a handy haversack

another option is a bag of concealment, type 4, if you want to make sure no one can access your stuff. it has less space, but only you can access it's contents... to everyone else, it just looks like a regular, nonmagical backpack.

Considering my character, access during battles is not something I'm actually after. Bag of concealment is interesting, as it would fit the spy theme. Any other options I'm not aware of? Polymorphing isn't an issue so the polymoprhic pouch doesn't provide any benefit.

Âmesang
2016-08-27, 03:10 PM
Note sure if there are any differences between games, but for the longest time my 3.5 sorceress used Heward's handy haversack for its convenience (pulling items as a move action without provoking attacks of opportunity), although she was always at risk of overstuffing it (darn the alchemist's lab's weight :smalltongue:).

Now that she's of a higher level I swapped it for a portable hole since it has no weight, no weight limit, and can be folded up as small as a handkerchief to make it indiscreet, using it for large or heavy objects (alchemist's lab, books, magic items, lots of clothing, &c.), while keeping very small or light objects (including the portable hole itself) inside of a simple belt pouch; as both a spellcaster and a noble I figured attending grand balls with a backpack strapped to her back (let alone a sack like a bag of holding) would be a bit of a social faux pas, but a single belt pouch to mirror her spell component pouch would look a bit more acceptable.