PDA

View Full Version : Demiplane Dilemma

JellyPooga
2016-08-27, 11:53 AM
So, the Demiplane spell...

You've got an hour to use the door it creates before you're trapped on your own personal demiplane. What happens then? You can't use Demiplane to get to anything but another demiplane or one you've previously created. Do you need Plane Shift or Gate to get off of your own personal network of demiplanes? What if you don't have Plane Shift? Are you stuck there forever?

This could make for an interesting Rescue or Assassination mission; traversing a series of demiplanes some foolhardy Wizard created and couldn't escape because he didn't do enough research ahead of time.

pwykersotz
2016-08-27, 04:14 PM
Like Sliders, but in D&D!

Shaofoo
2016-08-27, 04:30 PM
Why can't you rest for 8 hours to regain the use of your 8th level slot again? Sounds like the person that starved overnight trapped in a supermarket.

Also Plane Shift is useless for getting into Demiplanes because you need a rod attuned to the specific plane that you want to go. A Wizard could technically make one but no rules for a PC to make one, it is all DM fiat.

Also funny that while Gate could work to rescue someone it won't work to get someone that doesn't want out. Planar rulers can prevent Gates from being made and I am sure that the creator of a Demiplane counts as a planar ruler.

A Wish could emulate the Plane Shift spell but that is up to the DM to see if it counts as a free use since it omits the material component it means that as a spell it is useless since the material component is what it needs to set the coordinates and a lack of material component sets the place to nothing. So even Wish isn't 100% sure.

Seriously, I don't see how can a Wizard get stuck in his own plane unless he makes it a point to never rest again.

RickAllison
2016-08-27, 04:46 PM
Why can't you rest for 8 hours to regain the use of your 8th level slot again? Sounds like the person that starved overnight trapped in a supermarket.

Also Plane Shift is useless for getting into Demiplanes because you need a rod attuned to the specific plane that you want to go. A Wizard could technically make one but no rules for a PC to make one, it is all DM fiat.

Also funny that while Gate could work to rescue someone it won't work to get someone that doesn't want out. Planar rulers can prevent Gates from being made and I am sure that the creator of a Demiplane counts as a planar ruler.

A Wish could emulate the Plane Shift spell but that is up to the DM to see if it counts as a free use since it omits the material component it means that as a spell it is useless since the material component is what it needs to set the coordinates and a lack of material component sets the place to nothing. So even Wish isn't 100% sure.

Seriously, I don't see how can a Wizard get stuck in his own plane unless he makes it a point to never rest again.

By having Demiplane but not Plane Shift?

JellyPooga
2016-08-27, 04:52 PM

You're a newly minted 15th level Wizard and you've just researched the Demiplane spell, which you promptly cast. One brand new demiplane comes into being and a door from your current location opens before you, leading there. An hour later, that door closes forever. 8 hours after your initial casting of Demiplane, you cast Demiplane again. The 2nd casting open a door to a new demiplane or leading back into the one you're currently in. There's no function of the Demiplane spell that lets you reopen the door to your original location (unless you're casting it to get to the demiplane you're on, I suppose).

Shaofoo
2016-08-27, 05:31 PM
You're a newly minted 15th level Wizard and you've just researched the Demiplane spell, which you promptly cast. One brand new demiplane comes into being and a door from your current location opens before you, leading there. An hour later, that door closes forever. 8 hours after your initial casting of Demiplane, you cast Demiplane again. The 2nd casting open a door to a new demiplane or leading back into the one you're currently in. There's no function of the Demiplane spell that lets you reopen the door to your original location (unless you're casting it to get to the demiplane you're on, I suppose).

Ah well in that case, I guess you are screwed then.

Plane Shift won't work since you still need a rod attuned to the previous plane, Gate can work if you have the requisite gem, Plane Shift through Wish can run across the previous problem and just Wish opens up Monkey Paw.

A rescue can work but an assassination is doubtful due to the lack of material components for Plane Shift or the pure denial from Gate, you'd either need Wish (with monkey paw attached) or DM fiat.

Darksidebro
2016-08-27, 08:11 PM
Ah well in that case, I guess you are screwed then.

Plane Shift won't work since you still need a rod attuned to the previous plane, Gate can work if you have the requisite gem, Plane Shift through Wish can run across the previous problem and just Wish opens up Monkey Paw.

A rescue can work but an assassination is doubtful due to the lack of material components for Plane Shift or the pure denial from Gate, you'd either need Wish (with monkey paw attached) or DM fiat.

Oh! This happened to me once. It was tragic... to lose a character in such a way. Until i realized I could simply banish myself! I did appear on a random location of Toril (Southern Kara-Tur islands, if you're wondering.) So that was a whole ordeal in of itself.

JellyPooga
2016-08-27, 08:18 PM
Oh! This happened to me once. It was tragic... to lose a character in such a way. Until i realized I could simply banish myself! I did appear on a random location of Toril (Southern Kara-Tur islands, if you're wondering.) So that was a whole ordeal in of itself.

That sounds awesome! :smallbiggrin:

RickAllison
2016-08-27, 08:35 PM

I can't believe I forgot about that spell!