PDA

View Full Version : fighting a god.(new info )

sammyp03
2016-08-27, 12:21 PM
A couple of days ago I made a post about fighting a optimized wizard who has divine ranks. Most people said we couldn't beat her, but some new info has come about and I'm wondering what may be done now.

BATTLE NOTES

*The battlefield area is a cube 100' x 100' x 100' (L/W/H).

*You cannot leave this area around the Throne, as there is nowhere to go (quite literally). The wall of Ruin will hold fast at the edge of the battlefield until a victor is decided, held at bay by the Primal Logos.

*The Rain of Blood applies a -4 penalty to any save vs. fear or horror and causes any living, mortal, corporeal creature to make a Will Save (DC 21, with the -4 penalty) or become nauseated for 1d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting fear effect. It also coats the Jade Throne with a slippery rime similar to a Grease spell (same DC).

*The Queen and Kimiko both take actions during her turn and act on differing initiative phases. She can thus take two full round actions.

*Last Breath and Massive Damage saves are made at a -5 penalty. A character killed here cannot be Raised or Resurrected, but a True Resurrection cast before the battle ends will allow them to be recovered.

SPELLS

*Spells that stop time or allow immediate actions are useless here. This includes the various Celerity effects, Time Stop, and so on.

*Creatures can be Summoned, but not Called.

*Spells from the Conjuration (healing) subschool are automatically Empowered by their proximity to the Primal Logos. This also applies to any spell based on light or illumination.

*Spells with the (evil) descriptor, the Torment or Darkness domains, the school of Necromancy, or which cause undue pain and suffering are cast at +1 caster level and apply a -4 penalty to saves.

*Transmuation and Illusion spells have a maximum duration of 10 rounds, as the Primal Logos forces all things to show their true selves. This does not apply to Aeliyd Transformation.

Afgncaap5
2016-08-27, 12:40 PM
It sounds to me like things are actually worse than they were before. Can't run, take a lot of saves at a negative, and I'm guessing the kinds of spells either the wizard or the god favor are being boosted. And, naturally, your enemy gets two points on the initiative order instead of one.

So... whatever you were planning on doing before, do it twice as fast now?

MisterKaws
2016-08-27, 01:05 PM
First, why would a wizard with an Int score of [TOO DAMN HIGH] fight by herself, instead of just chilling inside her Godly Realm-Demiplane with a 1:10000 time ratio while chaingating Solars and sleeping?

Second, these conditions put you in such an advantage that I think it'd be easier to locate her demiplane than beating her in this fight.

I'm starting to think that giving up is a good idea.

And you can't even gate in Pun-Pun.

The Glyphstone
2016-08-27, 02:01 PM
Yeah, this is even worse than before. You're being railroaded hardcore, so just sit back and enjoy the TPK/Deus Ex Machina survival.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-08-27, 02:16 PM
The only solution is not to play (baring that, not caring works as well). This is pretty much rigged in the god's favor and has left the realm of challenging and entered absurd.

Inevitability
2016-08-27, 02:17 PM
First, why would a wizard with an Int score of [TOO DAMN HIGH] fight by herself, instead of just chilling inside her Godly Realm-Demiplane with a 1:10000 time ratio while chaingating Solars and sleeping?

This may be hard to believe, but not all DM's use wizards to their full potential.

Crazy, huh? Just think how many fantasy stories could be improved if only the protagonist got massacred by some invincible angels just after leaving his hometown!

dascarletm
2016-08-27, 02:23 PM
May I humbly suggest the fighting conditions I've laid out in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498504-Idea-for-testing-characters-against-one-another-(critiques-welcome))?

Zanos
2016-08-27, 02:27 PM
*You cannot leave this area around the Throne, as there is nowhere to go (quite literally). The wall of Ruin will hold fast at the edge of the battlefield until a victor is decided, held at bay by the Primal Logos.

So you can't escape.

*The Rain of Blood applies a -4 penalty to any save vs. fear or horror and causes any living, mortal, corporeal creature to make a Will Save (DC 21, with the -4 penalty) or become nauseated for 1d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting fear effect. It also coats the Jade Throne with a slippery rime similar to a Grease spell (same DC).

You have to make a save every round at a -4 penalty, or you get no standard actions. Presumably the deity isn't affected.

*The Queen and Kimiko both take actions during her turn and act on differing initiative phases. She can thus take two full round actions.

The deity gets double actions.

*Last Breath and Massive Damage saves are made at a -5 penalty. A character killed here cannot be Raised or Resurrected, but a True Resurrection cast before the battle ends will allow them to be recovered.

Not sure what least breath is, and I'm kind of surprised the DM is using massive damage rules. Once again though, deities are, of course, not subject to massive damage. He's also gone and permanently hosed anyone that dies in this fight.

*Spells that stop time or allow immediate actions are useless here. This includes the various Celerity effects, Time Stop, and so on.

No way to defend yourself from the deity off turn. The deity probably can't either, but the wording of spells specifically makes me suspiscous, as I believe there are still SDAs that can grant immediate actions.

*Creatures can be Summoned, but not Called.

Doesn't matter in combat, but prevents both the deity and you from bringing an army of help to start with.

*Spells from the Conjuration (healing) subschool are automatically Empowered by their proximity to the Primal Logos. This also applies to any spell based on light or illumination.

I don't recall you guys having a cleric, so this probably doesn't matter.

*Spells with the (evil) descriptor, the Torment or Darkness domains, the school of Necromancy, or which cause undue pain and suffering are cast at +1 caster level and apply a -4 penalty to saves.

So in addition to the -4 vs fear, a bunch of spells that presumably the deity favors are significantly more powerful. Note that if the deity hits you with a fear effect, you're at a -8 penalty to that save from the rain and this empowerment.

*Transmuation and Illusion spells have a maximum duration of 10 rounds, as the Primal Logos forces all things to show their true selves. This does not apply to Aeliyd Transformation.
I am assuming Aeliyd Transformation is one of the deities unique powers. So of course what the deity is doing isn't penalized. On the other hand, I seriously doubt you guys will last more than 10 rounds.

My advice is to finangle some way to turn your entire party into constructs(power stones of true mind switch, maybe?), so that you're immune to the deity constantly plowing you with instant lose effects at huge penalties to your saving throws. Looks like a TPK to me honestly.

MisterKaws
2016-08-27, 05:47 PM
Actually, you might be able to negate the effects of the plane-thing by using a Planar Bubble. You'd be able to gate in a god if you manage to get a scroll.

Bohandas
2016-08-27, 06:29 PM

Hubris maybe?

LTwerewolf
2016-08-27, 06:37 PM
Start the fight by chanting "chug a chug a chug a chug a chug a chug a CHOO CHOO!" Then just watch as you have no control over what happens next.

Calthropstu
2016-08-27, 07:51 PM
Op, you are super hosed.
Make a new character, lvl one and say "ok, i start a new character in the new universe."

DO NOT partake in the boss fight
Refuse.
Get your fellow players to agree.
This villian is too powerful, you are 6 levels too low to even think of attempting it, and you have extra super dm super suped cheese.
Just say no to bad gming.

Name1
2016-08-27, 09:35 PM
Sorry to tell you this, but you are doomed: The changed arena means nothing.
The deity's build is likely consisting of Alter Reality, Hand of Death, Life and Death, Supreme Initiative, Divine Shield and Gift of Life + the Death portfolio. How do I know? It's a Wizard, how likely is someoe with 30 int to pick the best choices?
The fight will go as follows: Deity wins first initiative by default (Supreme Initiative), uses Divine Shield and then Life ad Death, Favored Soul goes down. Next initiative is likely deity too due to Neverskitter + Warning Weapon and buffed Dex, Life and Death again, Paladin goes down. Horizon Walker get's his turn, his attacks are negated due to Divine Shield. Next turn deity gains first initiative, Horizon Walker goes down, once more due to no save, no SR, no nothing Life and Death.

You are bound to loose this fight. If you somehow manage to bluff a Nordic monster with a Divine Rank to allow you to Mind-Switch with it, you MAY have a chance as a player without Deus Ex Machina, but even then you are up against what amounts to two Wizards with Wish at-will and 60 Temp HP that refresh every round. But with a party of Tier 3s and lower? You are boned, good sir.

Inevitability
2016-08-28, 01:52 AM
Actually, you might be able to negate the effects of the plane-thing by using a Planar Bubble. You'd be able to gate in a god if you manage to get a scroll.

Using gate to bring in a god is calling, which is blocked by the Arena Of LolNope.

MisterKaws
2016-08-28, 08:41 AM
Using gate to bring in a god is calling, which is blocked by the Arena Of LolNope.

From what I understood, that's a planar trait, which is why I suggested a planar bubble.

TheBrassDuke
2016-08-28, 08:49 AM
Let's all just take a moment to appreciate the arena, though. It is pretty neat, and I could see a wizard-god on her dais slinging death from above. It's a great image, but you might be in for TPK...

I also second the Bubble, because that's a good way to bypass the certain rule against Calling.

Planar Bubble

(Planar Handbook)

Abjuration
Level: Cleric 7, Sorcerer 7, Wizard 7,
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No; see text

This spell creates an area around the target creature that emulates its native planar environment.
Thus, a character hailing from the Material Plane would have normal gravity, temperature, magic, and so on.
This spell cast on a native of the Plane of Shadow would make the area around her have normal gravity, a mild neutral alignment, enhanced shadow spells, and impeded light spells.
Material Components: A sprinkling of silver dust.

Any DM who forbids that after these new conditions? They're trying to kill you. Run.