PDA

View Full Version : I'm fighting Strahd next session

Klorox
2016-08-27, 12:53 PM
I have a level 9 wizard. What spells will really help me?

We had an über long and intense session last time, and the DM is awarding the party with a 2 level bump. I have 4 free spells to add to my book.

A fighter/assassin had a sun blade, and a battlemaster has a mace of disruption. I'm thinking haste would be a good choice and I can throw it on whoever is healthier.

djreynolds
2016-08-28, 01:09 AM
I have a level 9 wizard. What spells will really help me?

We had an über long and intense session last time, and the DM is awarding the party with a 2 level bump. I have 4 free spells to add to my book.

A fighter/assassin had a sun blade, and a battlemaster has a mace of disruption. I'm thinking haste would be a good choice and I can throw it on whoever is healthier.

We are as well, its crazy but we gave the sword to our elven archer ranger.

My cleric got the tome of understanding and the little idol. He is ready to crush undead, 22 wisdom.

Did not get the leg bone though.

Have you found many scrolls for your wizard for his spell book other than the Amber Doors temple area?

We have a wizard and sorcerer in our party and their spells known are almost equal in number. No one sells scrolls anywhere.

NecroDancer
2016-08-28, 06:26 AM
Strahd is a spellcaster so counterspell is super useful do not underestimate it (although you DM could have wanted your campaign to be different to he might have made Strahd a warrior or have less spells and more melee options).

Sir cryosin
2016-08-28, 06:27 AM
We're fighting Strahd right now I'm a 9lv bard. You want animate objects. And animate 10 tiny metal balls or rocks. Each one does 1d4+4×10 if all hit. And they have blinesight so when Strahd gos invisible they can still track him down and kill.

Dalebert
2016-08-28, 09:13 AM
I'm fighting Strahd next session

It was nice knowing you.

Seriously though, did you play the Amber Temple?

You can potentially get access to ANY wizard spells you want there. The library of books has them all. You just need truesight somehow which you can get as a gift from one of the sarcophagi. Alternatively, you can greater restore the lich and he'll help you to get whichever ones you want.

We're fighting Strahd right now I'm a 9lv bard. You want animate objects. And animate 10 tiny metal balls or rocks. Each one does 1d4+4×10 if all hit. And they have blinesight so when Strahd gos invisible they can still track him down and kill.

Make sure they're silvered so they do full damage.

Klorox
2016-08-28, 09:26 AM
We are as well, its crazy but we gave the sword to our elven archer ranger.

My cleric got the tome of understanding and the little idol. He is ready to crush undead, 22 wisdom.

Did not get the leg bone though.

Have you found many scrolls for your wizard for his spell book other than the Amber Doors temple area?

We have a wizard and sorcerer in our party and their spells known are almost equal in number. No one sells scrolls anywhere.no tome of understanding. We found an archmage's spell book and copied a lot of spells from there, as well as a few scrolls. I don't remember a little idol either.

Klorox
2016-08-28, 09:28 AM
It was nice knowing you.

Seriously though, did you play the Amber Temple?

You can potentially get access to ANY wizard spells you want there. The library of books has them all. You just need truesight somehow which you can get as a gift from one of the sarcophagi. Alternatively, you can greater restore the lich and he'll help you to get whichever ones you want.

Make sure they're silvered so they do full damage.
I certainly missed that amber temple part.

I wonder if animate objects would work on a handful of silver pieces. I need to look that one up.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-28, 09:55 AM
I certainly missed that amber temple part.

I wonder if animate objects would work on a handful of silver pieces. I need to look that one up.

Yes.

They are tiny objects (I don't know of a size category lower than tiny off the top of my head) and if your DM says they are too small for tiny... Just heat them up into tiny balls. Or make them into a necklace or something.

Specter
2016-08-28, 10:01 AM
If I recall correctly, silver doesn't help against Strahd, since he resists damage from nonmagical weapons. If that's the case, Animate Objects sounds less attractive.

Elemental damage spells are great, especially Cone of Cold (it targets CON, which isn't Strahd's good save).

Dalebert
2016-08-28, 10:04 AM
If I recall correctly, silver doesn't help against Strahd, since he resists damage from nonmagical weapons. If that's the case, Animate Objects sounds less attractive.

Ah. He is a boss. I haven't actually read his stats since I'm still playing this under a different DM with a different character.

Even if it does half damage, the sheer overall damage from a lot of tiny objects is significant and might be worthwhile.

djreynolds
2016-08-28, 01:55 PM
no tome of understanding. We found an archmage's spell book and copied a lot of spells from there, as well as a few scrolls. I don't remember a little idol either.

Tome of understanding is in amber temple.

Good luck to you. It is such a long adventure. I know he's not real, but I hate Strahd.

Temperjoke
2016-08-28, 03:35 PM
Protection from Evil and Good might be handy to help protect against Strahd's attacks and charm attempts. Make sure you've got AoE attacks too. Also, when fighting vampires, make sure you know where their coffin is, cause they can regenerate in it if you can't get to it fast enough.

djreynolds
2016-09-01, 03:45 AM
We won, but we got whooped tonight. 2 down plus almost a 3rd.

Spoiler alert

But there is a scroll of heroes feast somewhere out there. Its a 6th level spell, so you can't get it another way and it gives everyone advantage on wisdom saves for 24 hours and some other goodies.

Wisdom saves, con saves from undead, and traps and fireballs.

And... sweet victory.

And for you I hope as well Mr Klorox

Klorox
2016-09-01, 08:46 AM
We won, but we got whooped tonight. 2 down plus almost a 3rd.

Spoiler alert

But there is a scroll of heroes feast somewhere out there. Its a 6th level spell, so you can't get it another way and it gives everyone advantage on wisdom saves for 24 hours and some other goodies.

Wisdom saves, con saves from undead, and traps and fireballs.

And... sweet victory.

And for you I hope as well Mr Klorox
Thanks! I got word we might play tonight, but we usually wouldn't play until next Thursday. I'm a bit nervous! We're all level 8/9. Is that too low?

Specter
2016-09-01, 09:22 AM
Thanks! I got word we might play tonight, but we usually wouldn't play until next Thursday. I'm a bit nervous! We're all level 8/9. Is that too low?

At level 10 you would get your school's feature. Whether that's a good thing or not it's up to the school.
But I find that strategy is key for destroying this guy. The weapons you got are surely good enough.

Klorox
2016-09-01, 01:52 PM
At level 10 you would get your school's feature. Whether that's a good thing or not it's up to the school.
But I find that strategy is key for destroying this guy. The weapons you got are surely good enough.

My character is a diviner wizard.

I guess the feature won't matter, because we're fighting at this level no matter what.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-01, 02:13 PM
My group just fought Strahd, and the most important thing I can say is Counterspell.

The second most important thing is Wall of Force. Strahd will attempt to flee when he gets low, so anything you can do to prevent that is incredibly important. Make sure he dies within the Sunblade's radius of daylight.

djreynolds
2016-09-02, 02:08 AM

SPOLIERS AHEAD

We were 9th. IMO, even if you have resilient wisdom, or wisdom save proficiency say for your wizard. Even with rolling advantage from protection from evil or if you found that scroll of Heroes Feast, it is a high DC.

Con saves were big, but for me, it end game... I don't care what my HP maximum is.

Also, as in most PnP games, we lost people who didn't show, namely our 2 rangers and a barbarian.

Life Cleric is a very good class.

What I didn't like in the campaign was the stuff changing alignments, it ruined the camaraderie we had built up... most likely part of the game. The world of Strahd ruins good men and women.

Klorox
2016-09-02, 10:09 AM
SPOLIERS AHEAD

We were 9th. IMO, even if you have resilient wisdom, or wisdom save proficiency say for your wizard. Even with rolling advantage from protection from evil or if you found that scroll of Heroes Feast, it is a high DC.

Con saves were big, but for me, it end game... I don't care what my HP maximum is.

Also, as in most PnP games, we lost people who didn't show, namely our 2 rangers and a barbarian.

Life Cleric is a very good class.

What I didn't like in the campaign was the stuff changing alignments, it ruined the camaraderie we had built up... most likely part of the game. The world of Strahd ruins good men and women.
Interesting. I don't think anybody changed alignment in this game. Unless it happened behind the scenes and I was oblivious to it (which would be awesome).

Klorox
2016-09-05, 03:59 AM
My group just fought Strahd, and the most important thing I can say is Counterspell.

The second most important thing is Wall of Force. Strahd will attempt to flee when he gets low, so anything you can do to prevent that is incredibly important. Make sure he dies within the Sunblade's radius of daylight.

That might be a problem.

I've been told (spoiler) that Strahd goes for whoever is holding the Tome of Strahd first. That's the same dude who attuned to the sunblade.

djreynolds
2016-09-05, 06:21 AM
********Spoilers Ahead************************

Daylight spell, non concentration. We had to up and running, the amulet of Ravenloft also does daylight.

He will charm you. And plenty of undead, sucking your soul. And fireballs and lightning.

All saves are important, but failed wisdom saves will take you out of the game. It is a high DC, so even with advantage it sucks, but protection from evil, so have it up and running. It s first level spell, so when it runs out, cast it again.

Failed con save, lessened max HP, its end game... who cares.

Fireballs suck, put that cleric, bard, ranger and paladin to work.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-05, 12:04 PM
********Spoilers Ahead************************

Daylight spell, non concentration. We had to up and running, the amulet of Ravenloft also does daylight.

Crawford has ruled that the Daylight spell does not harm vampires, nor does it count as actual daylight, which is the worst ruling ever.