PDA

View Full Version : Grapple question

dnd2016
2016-08-27, 03:56 PM
Will dissonant whispers or fear break someone who is being grappled?

RickAllison
2016-08-27, 04:13 PM
Will dissonant whispers or fear break someone who is being grappled?

They are forced to move, it isn't forced movement.

Plaguescarred
2016-08-28, 04:58 AM
Will dissonant whispers or fear break someone who is being grappled?No because in both case the creature have a speed of 0 to moves away from the reach of the grappler.

Dissonant Whisper: ...it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you

Fear: ...a creature must take the Dash action and move away from you by the safest available route on each of its turns

Grappled: A grappled creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed. The condition also ends if an effect removes the
grappled creature from the reach of the grappler

PeteNutButter
2016-08-28, 10:17 AM
No, see above, but Repelling blast does...

Talk about facepalm counter-party-synergy. Damn you warlock, I had him grappled for a reason! I had a plan!

dnd2016
2016-08-28, 12:53 PM
Thx, on a side note, regarding D,whispers. Does the foe move at regular movement speed unlike fear?

Erys
2016-08-28, 01:06 PM
Thx, on a side note, regarding D,whispers. Does the foe move at regular movement speed unlike fear?

Yes.

A follow up question though, that if the roles where reversed. Say something has you grappled and it gets feared... does he take you with him when he flees?

RickAllison
2016-08-28, 01:09 PM
Yes.

A follow up question though, that if the roles where reversed. Say something has you grappled and it gets feared... does he take you with him when he flees?

That is up to the creature. How much does it want to flee?

PeteNutButter
2016-08-28, 01:14 PM

Fear per the spell says they drop whatever they are holding which would certainly include grappled foes.

Erys
2016-08-28, 01:16 PM

Heh, good point.

I guess if the grappler was within one size category of his target he would drop him since most fear effects want you to move as far and as fast away as possible. But if a giant is holding a gnome and was Dissident Whispered... I suppose the gnome is going along for the ride.

Edit to add: unless its the fear spell itself. As PeteNutButter pointed out.

RickAllison
2016-08-28, 02:00 PM
Fear per the spell says they drop whatever they are holding which would certainly include grappled foes.

The Fear spell definitely works :smallbiggrin: but I was also including other fear effects. A dragon's fear aura certainly might inspire the user to drop everything and run away, but not a Long Death Monk's.

Plaguescarred
2016-08-28, 02:43 PM
Fear per the spell says they drop whatever they are holding which would certainly include grappled foes.I was under the impression that the target was the creature grappled. If the target of those spells is the grappler, then Fear would effectively break the grab, while Dissonant Whisper could still move with it.