PDA

View Full Version : A.L Curse of stradh party composition

Smorgonoffz
2016-08-27, 06:32 PM
Me and my local group are still playing COS in A.L, while i like the adventures so far i would like the forum's opinion on this:

Does this party composition needs a Rogue?, i think so because the highest perception/Investigate total bonus is +3.

This is the party as it stands

Me: Half-elf Tome pact warlock level 4
1) Half-Elf Sorcerer/Wizard(a premade) Level 4
2) Human Paladin vengeange/devotion Level 4
3) Dragonborn Monk of the four elements Level 4
4) Human Cleric(Hasn't chosen a domain yet) Level 3

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-08-27, 07:46 PM
Me and my local group are still playing COS in A.L, while i like the adventures so far i would like the forum's opinion on this:

Does this party composition needs a Rogue?, i think so because the highest perception/Investigate total bonus is +3.

Alright, I'm confused. How can you have a Paladin that's both vengeance and devotion? Not possible.
Also how can a cleric be level 3 and hasn't chosen a domain yet?
Methinks you are playing something other than the rules of the game!

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-27, 08:29 PM
I've been doing CoS for a while and haven't seen much need for Investigate. I'm the party thief-Monk and I've only rolled it a couple times. Wilderness is common, though, so maybe a Druid or Ranger?

PeteNutButter
2016-08-27, 08:54 PM
You will need perception and investigation.

Without spoiling anything suffice it to say at certain later parts of the campaign there are an excess of secrets that will be missed by the inattentive party.

BUT you have a cleric who is a human. He should have perception as a skill. And a likely wizard who should have investigate as a skill. BOOM. Tie those skills with the classes that should bump core stat and problem solved.

IMO no class is needed in general for 5e, just certain skills and abilities. As for CoS, you really just need someone who can deal radiant, which you have well covered with cleric and paladin. Because you can expect to maybe encounter a vampire... in Ravenloft.

djreynolds
2016-08-28, 12:48 AM
My cleric took the sailor background, Hill Dwarf, I had to invent a story as to why.

Anyhow at 9th level with a maxed out wisdom his passive perception in around an 18, +3 proficiency and +5 wisdom... it my actually be higher but I do not want to spoil the game....

His passive perception is good enough to sense most danger, however, even with a high passive perception it will depend on how your DM rules its usage.

So do you need a rogue? Well ours died in the Death House ironically. We have gotten by without one.

But a rogue does put out a lot of damage, that said, because of the mist we are forced to long rest more than I thought we would and are often racing to get to shelter so we often skip short rests, unfortunately.

Have your cleric take perception.

NecroDancer
2016-08-28, 06:54 AM
Your group isn't very optimized, I'm happy that people can focus on the "fun" aspect of the game instead of turning to minmaxing. 5e rocks! Also assuming the monk is trained in stealth you should get by without one

Addaran
2016-08-28, 12:12 PM

The team already have everything "needed" to have good perception/investigate. If they don't have it, it's cause they don't want it.
Wizard should have at least 14 int, so +4 with profeciency. Paly, Monk or Cleric is bound to have 14+ wis, so +4 with profeciency.
There's also the feat for +5 passive perception/investigate.

Rogue isn't needed to have a skill monkey. Mostly it helps with expertise to get some niche build that need insanely good skill.