PDA

View Full Version : Booming blade + sneak attack + metamagic burst damage

wilhelmdubdub
2016-08-27, 06:34 PM
I read on sage advice you can use sneak attack with booming blade, and tried to make a high damage build for it.
Sorcerer 4 gives you metamagic and 4 sorcery points. Take twinned and Quickened.
Fighter 3 gives you action surge and take battlemaster for feinting attack. Take dueling because why not.
Take rogue the rest of the way for 7D6 sneak attack.

First action: Twinned Booming blade: two feinting rapier attacks (D6 +5dex +D8 superiority +3D8 sonic +2dueling) 45max each

Action surge: repeat+ another 90 damage max

Bonus action: Quickened another booming blade another 37 max

feinting gives you automatic advantage so you get sneak attack so 7D6 so another 42 max

=total 259 damage. And if they run away there is 25D8 more damage to deal out after that.

RSP
2016-08-27, 06:42 PM
First off, I believe the feint manuever uses your bonus action for 1 attack at advantage, so you could use it but it doesn't quite work as you thought and you would not be able to quicken a spell that same turn as you only have 1 bonus action.

Second, Booming Blade twinned is going to require DM approval, but even if allowed requires a separate target (cannot target same create twice with twin).

Zman
2016-08-27, 07:29 PM
As a Rogue you might just be better off disengaging forcing booming blade movement. Also,math at damage is split up to two enemies and is a one and done. Alternatively you can just take the Mobile feat and disengage for free as you exit their reach.

Only problem with the build is that it will take quite a while to come online and there will be levels where the character will perform subpar, not to mention it's a massive Nova that is basically once per day. And you have to weight it against Sorcerer 5 for Fireball, Haste, Fly etc.

Feigning attack doesn't work with a Quickened Booming Blade as they both require a bonus action and action surge doesn't grant an additional bonus action. Better off with other maneuvers like Riposte or Trip.

bid
2016-08-27, 08:10 PM
I don't believe you can be under multiple effects of the same name. So moving would only do 5d8.

PeteNutButter
2016-08-27, 08:46 PM
I don't believe you can be under multiple effects of the same name. So moving would only do 5d8.

^This, really booming blade just adds 1d8 or 2d8 bonus damage. Quickening it works, but it is actually moving away from the synergy of the rogue with the cantrip, as adding more attacks on the same turn, is just more attacks that can't use all those sneak attack dice. Rogues are better suited to get reaction attacks(such as reposte), to use sneak attack again. If you want to ensure sneak attack, swashbuckler makes it pretty damned easy.

It's really tough to plan for booming blade kicker damage. In my experience there is usually someone else in the party that wants to melee, and it screws it all up. If you want to combine BM fighter w rogue. I'd say get try getting Pushing Attack to throw them back, making it more likely they'll trigger the damage when they have to reengage.

One last thing, pretty much never take 3 levels in a class. ASI too strong. :smallbiggrin:

It's the equivalent of having a level 6 character with 0 BAB in 3.x... which I've seen...

Degwerks
2016-08-28, 07:36 AM
Like previous posters said... I think your build would be better off as a battlemaster fighter 4/ favored soul war sorcerer 6/swashbuckler rogue 10.

Taking the Riposte manueveur and having haste up. Warcaster & med armor master feats with defense style would help.

Hasted action attack, quicken booming blade attack, then regular action dodge. Hopefully the miss you on an attack, triggering Riposte and another chance you can add sneak attack in. Mirror Image can help too.

Not a great build but adds in a swordplay style of fighting flair to it

Dalebert
2016-08-28, 09:08 AM
One of these I have to plan a game where everyone can play their theoretical lvl 20 builds. Could be a fun little bit of shenanigans. As it is, my highest level character is 13 and I suspect that most characters spend a tiny fraction of 1% of their entire careers at lvl 20 if they ever even get that far. I'm more interested in builds for around tier 2 (lvls 5 to 10).

Anyhoo, I'm frustrated that there are no thunder damage draconic lineages. Would be great for lvl 6 sorcerer Booming Blade builds. I was just talking to a friend last night about twinning it, and yes, of course that means having two enemies adjacent to you, or else extended range and reach weapons so they're both within 10 ft. Spell Sniper helps with that which is good for a sorcerer anyway.

Degwerks
2016-08-28, 11:23 AM
Yeah i too wish there was a class that had something to key off of thunder damage. OR a new feat or metamagic that could change the elemental damage on a spell.

Degwerks
2016-08-28, 11:42 AM
Ok how about this, need to have Warcaster feat, bard levels and really thats it. High elf too and this could work as early as 4th lvl.

Take Booming Blade as your High Elf cantrip choice. In melee, cast Dissonant Whispers on enemy, hopefully he burns his reaction to move, then he provokes by moving, triggers your Warcaster feat, you then use Booming Blade for your opportunity attack, which its rider lasts until start of your next turn. On his turn he will have to move to get to you, booming blade goes off. Rinse/repeat/don't miss/don't die.

Zman
2016-08-28, 12:26 PM
Yeah i too wish there was a class that had something to key off of thunder damage. OR a new feat or metamagic that could change the elemental damage on a spell.

Tempest Cleric that is either a High Elf, SCAG Half Elf, or takes Magic Initiate for Booming Blade. You not only end up hitting for +5d8 Thunder Damage every Round, you can maximize that Damage. Take 2 levels of Paladin and you can Smite and cast a Thunderous Smite for an additional 2d6 and knock back forcing the rider effect. I created a character based on this and named him Tor, haha.

Degwerks
2016-08-28, 02:26 PM
I forgot that Tempest clerics could do that with thunder too. However thats only 1 to 3 times per short rest depending on your level.

Zman
2016-08-28, 02:46 PM
I forgot that Tempest clerics could do that with thunder too. However thats only 1 to 3 times per short rest depending on your level.

You also add a Thunder a Damage each attack at levels 8 and 14 in addition to Booming Blade. It's solid with Spirit Weapon thrown into the mix for damage.

8wGremlin
2016-08-28, 03:09 PM
VHuman Arcane Cleric - take booming blade as one of the arcane cantrips.
Take Warcaster feat at level 1
Swap to Rogue afterwards.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-08-28, 10:17 PM
First off, I believe the feint manuever uses your bonus action for 1 attack at advantage, so you could use it but it doesn't quite work as you thought and you would not be able to quicken a spell that same turn as you only have 1 bonus action.

Second, Booming Blade twinned is going to require DM approval, but even if allowed requires a separate target (cannot target same create twice with twin).

Yes you are correct, but getting advantage wouldn't be necessary if you had someone else 5ft away, so you could trade your quickened attack for sneak attack if that wasn't the case.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-08-28, 10:18 PM
Tempest Cleric that is either a High Elf, SCAG Half Elf, or takes Magic Initiate for Booming Blade. You not only end up hitting for +5d8 Thunder Damage every Round, you can maximize that Damage. Take 2 levels of Paladin and you can Smite and cast a Thunderous Smite for an additional 2d6 and knock back forcing the rider effect. I created a character based on this and named him Tor, haha.

I think of Thor with booming blade and maul combo haha

wilhelmdubdub
2016-08-28, 10:24 PM
^This, really booming blade just adds 1d8 or 2d8 bonus damage. Quickening it works, but it is actually moving away from the synergy of the rogue with the cantrip, as adding more attacks on the same turn, is just more attacks that can't use all those sneak attack dice. Rogues are better suited to get reaction attacks(such as reposte), to use sneak attack again. If you want to ensure sneak attack, swashbuckler makes it pretty damned easy.

It's really tough to plan for booming blade kicker damage. In my experience there is usually someone else in the party that wants to melee, and it screws it all up. If you want to combine BM fighter w rogue. I'd say get try getting Pushing Attack to throw them back, making it more likely they'll trigger the damage when they have to reengage.

One last thing, pretty much never take 3 levels in a class. ASI too strong. :smallbiggrin:

It's the equivalent of having a level 6 character with 0 BAB in 3.x... which I've seen...

How about warcaster, distant spell and whip?