PDA

View Full Version : "I'm too heavy for any of you to carry."

Dr'uun Unnh
2007-07-06, 11:15 PM
While Roy is poisoned in strip #38 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html), he says that the party may as well rest where they are, since he is too heavy for any of the other party members to carry him.

Is this going to present a problem for Haley and Belkar when they finally get to his corpse, or is Roy just too humble to allow himself to be carried by the other party members even when there is a good reason for it?

edit: Or was Roy talking about any single party member?

Spiky
2007-07-06, 11:16 PM
I believe his ego has left him while he is a corpse. That should cut his weight in half.

kpenguin
2007-07-06, 11:17 PM
That could mean that no one party member could carry Roy. Haley's original plan was to put him in a bag of holding. With Belkar, their combined strength should be able to lift him. More of a concern is sneaking past those hobgoblins carrying a heavy body in tow.

Belkar's Left Foot
2007-07-06, 11:17 PM
I think he meant any one of them to carry, seeing as it would be useless to burden 2 members for the sake of 1, leaving the functional fighters down to 2, I didn't really count Elan back then, instead of now when they are just going to try to avoid confrontations.

Tmabbbb
2007-07-06, 11:21 PM
I think I agree with Spiky.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-07, 12:09 AM
I think I agree with Spiky.

I agree more with the penguin with the orb-tipped staff and cloak.

*blinks twice, rubs eyes*

I just agreed with a penguin mage. Somebody please wake me up.

kpenguin
2007-07-07, 12:12 AM
*create water* There, that'll wake you up.

Question for you guys: Even with both Haley and Belkar, Roy is probably a heavy load or worse. So, how will they get him past all of the hobgoblins to the docks?

Skyshot
2007-07-07, 12:13 AM
How strong can a sylph get (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0315.html), anyways?

Also, Belkar said "Together, we're more than strong enough to carry him back" in #468, so maybe their maximum weight load per member (or at least between Belkar and Haley) increased over the last few levels?

MReav
2007-07-07, 12:22 AM
How strong can a sylph get (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0315.html), anyways?

Well, I think she cast Levitation on him. Plus he's not wearing 50 lbs of armour and even more of equipment.

Sigbru
2007-07-07, 12:35 AM
Well, I think she cast Levitation on him. Plus he's not wearing 50 lbs of armour and even more of equipment.

Yeah but being realistic, there is no way those wings would fly both of them :smallannoyed: much less stay flying, but heck, this is a comic

I'm wondering if they WILL save Roy, despite all the comic issues, without Rich we will never know

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-07, 12:37 AM
*create water* There, that'll wake you up.

Question for you guys: Even with both Haley and Belkar, Roy is probably a heavy load or worse. So, how will they get him past all of the hobgoblins to the docks?

Ah, thank you. You are a gentlepenguin and a scholar.

*blinks again*

Are you sure I'm awake?

the mysterian
2007-07-07, 12:46 AM
roy has lost wieght due to massive stress, duh. you think sleeping near belkar isnt stressful?

Wikkin
2007-07-07, 12:49 AM
Can always put his armor, sword and stuff in Bags of Holding. That'll cut down his weight considerably.

Would be funny if Belkar somehow wound up with Celia's booty talisman.

Skyshot
2007-07-07, 01:03 AM
Yeah but being realistic, there is no way those wings would fly both of them much less stay flyingNot if SHE doesn't know that...

Just don't tell her and she'll do fine...

EyethatBinds
2007-07-07, 01:37 AM
Ah Brick Top's words of wisdom.
"You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together" Snatch-2000

That should help them move him much more easily. Oddly enough it is actually easier to lift a corpse after making it less awkwardly shaped. I ascribe this to blood loss postmortem.
In fact the two of them could share the load with ease if they can just carry parts. I think it will invalidate raise dead, unless you can use mending or make whole on dead bodies.

Tirian
2007-07-07, 04:21 AM
Assuming that they got around to offloading the treasure from Durokon's dungeon in Azure City, Haley has some empty wagons in her bags of holding. I should think she's got at least one wheelbarrow in there to boot.

Soepvork
2007-07-07, 04:32 AM
Assuming

1) Durkon is level 13+ (no real indication so far as I remember)
2) They can scrape some more diamonds from Hinjo for the spell,

the easiest way to get Roy back is probably through the use of a resurrection. Then Haley and Belkar only need a small piece of Roy's body anyway (which, I suppose, Belkar will happily cut off.)

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-07, 05:02 AM
Are there any Strength bonusses involved with becoming a Barbarian (Belkar) or going level up? if so, what Roy says in strip #38 is irrelevant...

and off course would Hinjo do his best to help ressurect Roy: Roy is Hinjo's trusted Bodyguard! ;)

Requiem_Jeer
2007-07-07, 10:56 AM
Well, most of his gear (not enough time to remove the armor) can go into a bag of holding yes, and Belkar probably has a really high strength, with Haley a moderate amount (to carry treasure), so together it's not too unlikely that they can do it.

In fact, if Belker was medium sized he could probably do it alone.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-07, 11:09 AM
Haley and Belkar only need a small piece of Roy's body anyway (which, I suppose, Belkar will happily cut off.)

That depends on how much of Roy's body is required for the Mark of Justice.

Chronos
2007-07-07, 11:44 AM
Are there any Strength bonusses involved with becoming a Barbarian (Belkar) or going level up?Not directly. When a barbarian rages, he temporarily gains +4 str, but Belkar's probably already used up all of his rage for the day. And even if he hadn't, would you really want a raging Belkar trying to get the corpse to safety?

That said, characters do get to add one point to an ability score every four levels, and would have probably done so once since Roy said that. Knowing Belkar, it's very likely that he put his into Strength.

Dusk_Rider
2007-07-07, 12:23 PM
Haley could put Belkar AND Roy in the bag of holding. That way Belkar won't be affected by the Mark of Justice, and Haley can sneak away without Belar getting in the way. She can open the bag every minute or so to let more air in.

SensFan
2007-07-07, 01:06 PM
Pretty sure anything living in a bag of holding dies immediately and becomes a corpse.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-07, 01:08 PM
Pretty sure anything living in a bag of holding dies immediately and becomes a corpse.

Nope. A Bag of Holding contains 10 minutes of breathable air.

Spiky
2007-07-07, 01:20 PM
roy has lost wieght due to massive stress, duh. you think sleeping near belkar isnt stressful?

Certainly would be. That's why Roy never slept. Til now.*sob*

David Argall
2007-07-07, 01:49 PM
While Roy is poisoned in strip #38 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html), he says that the party may as well rest where they are, since he is too heavy for any of the other party members to carry him.
#38 has to be read as "too heavy to be worth the bother". A heavy load for even average strength is up to 100 lbs, and V seems to be the only one with a STR penalty. So the party could carry a minimum of 400+ lbs of Roy. With a little work, they might be able to manage 800 lbs. Even when we deduct for their own equipment, that is clearly doable. It is merely a burden that makes them more vulnerable and more apt to be attacked as well.

Is this going to present a problem for Haley and Belkar when they finally get to his corpse?
Maybe, but only if one assumes the definition of "problem" includes "solution". They may well have to struggle with the burden, but it will be something they can manage.

Studoku
2007-07-07, 05:39 PM
Nope. A Bag of Holding contains 10 minutes of breathable air.

So what happens if you put plants inside the bag too? Infinite air supply?

ThorFluff
2007-07-07, 05:51 PM
Aslong as there is Something living in there too, to produce the carbon monoxide. Imagine: You jump into your backpack and inside is a groove with trees, a pond and some fish, just have a mage create some sort of magical light too:P

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-07, 06:05 PM
So what happens if you put plants inside the bag too? Infinite air supply?

You would need massive ammounts of plants (blue/green algae in fact, for max efficiency) in order to manufacture enough oxygen for the permanent survival of a human being

edit: Ninjaed! thanks ThorFluff for pointing out the need of a strong light source and some CO2-producing biomass

edit: O my! I think we just killed a couple of catgirls, didnt we?

Demented
2007-07-07, 06:27 PM
Nah, that's simple ecology, not physics.

Physics would be trying to explain the topology of a bag of holding with respect to the dimension it's currently in, and the implications of that.

Fitzclowningham
2007-07-07, 07:39 PM
I almost think Belkar might have the weapon finesse feat, substituting Dex bonuses for Str with his daggers. He might not be all that strong.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-07, 09:09 PM
You would need massive ammounts of plants (blue/green algae in fact, for max efficiency) in order to manufacture enough oxygen for the permanent survival of a human being

edit: Ninjaed! thanks ThorFluff for pointing out the need of a strong light source and some CO2-producing biomass

edit: O my! I think we just killed a couple of catgirls, didnt we?

Nah, but God did shoot a lightning bolt at one, and singed her fur a bit.

But now she's mad at YOU! Best watch your back...

Ampersand
2007-07-07, 09:10 PM
Can always put his armor, sword and stuff in Bags of Holding.

Only if it's in Haley's biggest bag of holding, the one which contains the majority of her loot.

Heh heh. :smallamused:

Fishies
2007-07-07, 09:18 PM
Can always put his armor, sword and stuff in Bags of Holding. That'll cut down his weight considerably.

Erm, you can't. If something sharp punctures the bag from inside, guess what happens?

Chronos
2007-07-07, 10:47 PM
Oh, so it's only physics specifically which kills catgirls? I thought it was just nerdiness in general. Maybe I ought to edit my occupation in my profile to read "catgirl exterminator".

And there are other magic items which provide air, or remove the need for it. But I don't think the Order has any of those.

dragoncmd
2007-07-08, 12:01 AM

You mean not sleeping near belkar isn't stressful.

Oberon
2007-07-08, 12:41 AM
And there are other magic items which provide air, or remove the need for it. But I don't think the Order has any of those.

I don't think you can put any of those items on plants. Most of them are rings and helmets, correct?

I almost think Belkar might have the weapon finesse feat, substituting Dex bonuses for Str with his daggers. He might not be all that strong.

If Belkar was good at planning his build, he'd probably have weapon finesse, but seeing as he's a ranger who didnt put a single rank into survival, there's evidence that he's not very wise about what is best for him (, in fact we know he has a low wisdom score). Belkar might think a feat with the word "finesse" in it is kinda fruity.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-08, 12:48 AM
If Belkar was good at planning his build, he'd probably have weapon finesse, but seeing as he's a ranger who didnt put a single rank into survival, there's evidence that he's not very wise about what is best for him (, in fact we know he has a low wisdom score). Belkar might think a feat with the word "finesse" in it is kinda fruity.

Yes, but all available evidence suggests that Belkar is very good at planning his build, so long as the direct killing of things is concerned. He took the Ranger class to be able to wield two weapons at once, and he apparently tricked out the rest of his feat selection in order to do just that. Survival is for tracking; Listen and Spot are for awareness; neither one really helps him to leap down upon his foes with unrestrained fury and twin whirling blades, pausing only to savor the slack-jawed terror that paints their countenances.

Compare his body count to any other member of the Order, and I think it's clear that his build is set for a single function. He just chose a poor way of going about it.

Dragon Rogue
2007-07-08, 12:59 AM
Erm, you can't. If something sharp punctures the bag from inside, guess what happens?

You can put a sheathed sword in. No chance of puncturing.

Alysar
2007-07-08, 08:49 AM
Actually there is a Wondrous Item called a Bottle of Air (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bottle_of_Air_(Wondrous_Item))

dish
2007-07-08, 08:59 AM
Oddly enough it is actually easier to lift a corpse after making it less awkwardly shaped. I ascribe this to blood loss postmortem.

I have to ask... how do you know that fact?
(Tell me it's not through direct experience. Please.)

Euphemism
2007-07-08, 09:05 AM
You can test the statement with a live subject.

Have a friend go completely limp, and try to carry/drag them.

Then have the same friend ball up in the fetal position. It'll be much easier to manipulate them physically.

This is why protestors go ragdoll when police try to remove them.

dish
2007-07-08, 09:12 AM
You can test the statement with a live subject.

True.

But it was the bits about 'corpse' and 'blood-loss postmortem' that were worrying me!

Eva
2007-07-08, 04:27 PM
Speaking of the sylph, they could break the pendant and have her help out, too. My bet is that the thing will break in some unexpected way en route and she'll help them get out of the hobgoblin situation.

Darkbane
2007-07-08, 05:09 PM
Aslong as there is Something living in there too, to produce the carbon monoxide.

Actually, animals produce carbon dioxide as a waste product. Plants can use carbon monoxide for photosynthesis, but it happens at a much slower rate, and when animals inhale carbon monoxide, it binds to hemoglobin and doesn't release, resulting in suffocation.

Chronos
2007-07-08, 11:10 PM
I don't think you can put any of those items on plants. Most of them are rings and helmets, correct?I think there's an Iouin Stone that does it, too. Not that it's relevant, since it's a halfling we're trying to keep from suffocating here, not a plant.

And I'm not convinced that Belkar's build is actually all that bad. What he wanted was a stealthy warrior who could ambush and kill large numbers of creatures. And a halfling ranger who ignores the nature-oriented aspects of the class isn't actually a bad means to that end. I'm not sure there's any way in the core rules to do it better. Likewise, multiclassing out of Ranger as soon as he got his Combat Style Mastery was a good idea, except for the detail that it leaves him with an xp penalty. He would probably have been better off to switch to Rogue (favored class), to gain Sneak Attack on both his daggers and to continue improving his stealth skills.

Tharr
2007-07-08, 11:19 PM
The fact is maybe they find horse or cart or wheel barrow or airship.
Great if the MITD gets up and helps them would be so fun.

BreathingMeat
2007-07-08, 11:58 PM
The characters have levelled-up at least once since he said that: maybe Belkar has had an opportunity to bump up his Strength?