PDA

View Full Version : I would like a little advise...

nate_the_gr8
2007-07-06, 11:20 PM
I'm a first time DM. Me and a few friends are doing a hack-n-slash D&D campaign. we're not taking it too seriously (the party is a half-celestial goblin paladin, a good gnoll barbarian, and a satyr bard). I've made it where the "monster races" like goblins, orcs, and gnolls get along with the average player races, although say there ,might be racists among both sides.

My first game wasn't as great as I'd like, but I can see room for it growing.The "Gaming" section on the site was a big help, but there was one thing.I was looking for tips on dungeon design. I'm not sure how to populate a dungeon and make it interesting for the players. On WHY they are there and such.

Any suggestions?

Hazkali
2007-07-07, 04:53 AM
If you're aiming for good verisimillitude, think carefully about what purpose the "dungeon" is serving. Remember- a dungon doesn't neccesarily need to be the stereotypical underground lair. In general, Dungeons are split into those that are in use, and those that are out of use.

Those that are in use need to have all of the amenities that any place where creatures congregate in order to be realistic- latrines, kitchens, halls and dorms. They should be well-lit and with wide corridors, and have many "wandering" monsters as creatures within go about their business. Here there should be relatively few traps and wild animals, but many well-organised defenders. Some examples:

A secluded monastery where evil monks and clerics train
An Hobgoblin Fort
A Kobold burrow

Those that are out of use can be smaller, and more cramped. As people don't need to come in and out, they can be poorly-lit, with many traps (I prefer auto-reset traps for a more realistic feel). Wild creatures may have burrowed in and made their homes here, or there may be undead or constructs keeping people away. Some examples:

An abandoned crypt, guarded by mindless undead
The King's treasury, filled with traps and puzzles
A natural cave system that leads into an abandoned diamond mine...

If you want, you can mix it up a bit. Perhaps both the PCs and an Orcish expeditionary force are trying to reclaim the lost gems of Avalon. The gems are hidden in the abandoned vaults of Brightwater, which is a deadly trap-filled maze. Not only do the PCs have to overcome the traps, they have to work against the clock to beat the Orcs to the treasure. If they get lost or their way out is blocked, they might be forced into battle against overwhelming Orc numbers.