PDA

View Full Version : Odd character, advice and rules help.

Sapreaver
2016-08-28, 03:06 PM
So I was thinking of joining a dnd game in the near future, and I want to try a different sort of fighter.

The build would be something along the lines paladin 5/kensai 10/ fiend of pocession 5

My idea that i'm not sure if it works is the kensai part can add up to +10 worth of bonuses to their signature weapon. And the fiend of pocession can add another +5 when inside the object.

Is it rules legal to make a bland +5 adamantiNE maul and then using the kensai to add another +10 worth of bonuses and then fiend of pocession for another +5 and fight as the weapon.

I'm sure I can throw some of the bonuses enchanting the weapon to make it more durable. Also can I make it a legacy weapon in addition to the other Bonuses I give it?

Also I would be a paladin of tyranny.

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-28, 04:00 PM
Also I would be a paladin of tyranny.
You might have actually led with this part. Otherwise the reader is likely to fixate on the obvious problem right away. :smallbiggrin:

So your desired build would then become Paladin of Tyranny 5/Kensai 10/ Fiend of Possession 5. This still begs the question of how you intend to qualify for Fiend of Possession. You need to choose an outsider with the Evil subtype. This will likely force you to deal with the Level Adjustment issue - depending on whether LA buyoff is used in your game.

My idea that i'm not sure if it works is the kensai part can add up to +10 worth of bonuses to their signature weapon. And the fiend of pocession can add another +5 when inside the object.

Is it rules legal to make a bland +5 adamantiNE maul and then using the kensai to add another +10 worth of bonuses and then fiend of pocession for another +5 and fight as the weapon.

I'm sure I can throw some of the bonuses enchanting the weapon to make it more durable. Also can I make it a legacy weapon in addition to the other Bonuses I give it?

As far as I can tell, this seems plausible. The first problem that comes to mind however is that in possessing a magical item the item gains a Will saving throw. That could be annoying. I don't see any way to voluntarily fail this one.

Of course, the total enhancement bonus can't be higher than +5, so you are just going to be dropping a bunch of special abilities onto the weapon.

Until you get to 19th level overall (with LA the ECL may be higher) you are not going to be able to just swing away as an animated weapon and will need a cohort or someone else to wield you however.

MisterKaws
2016-08-28, 04:35 PM
If you just want a ridiculously powerful weapon, you could just as well go Soulknife/Soulbow/Kensai/Legacy Champion(Mau-Jehe). This was my planned build for Iron Chef LXXVI, which I ended up not finishing. Anyways, after even more cheese with items, you end up with a bow that shoots arrows with an effective enhancement level on the upper 20s, I think 25 or 26.

LordOfCain
2016-08-28, 04:52 PM
Maybe for FoP you could play a Tiefling with the Savage Species ritual to gain the Evil subtype? I believe that works. I could be wrong though so don't quote me.

Sapreaver
2016-08-28, 05:28 PM
Maybe for FoP you could play a Tiefling with the Savage Species ritual to gain the Evil subtype? I believe that works. I could be wrong though so don't quote me.

That was my plan being a tiefling and grabbing the ritual since as a weapon I don't need to spend much gold.... lol

To the above my progression is
1-5 paladin
Kensai afterwards until 13 where I can do the ritual (or maybe work it in to the back story with dm approval. And take a hit of gold over time)
Fiend of posession to 16 so i can merge with my sword and fight.
finish kensai. Finish fiend.

If the dm approves the back story ritual for the gold hit,
I'll go PoT 5/kensai 2/ FoP 6/finish kensai.

Now when I'm fighting as the weapon would I get my strength to damage? Or could I just make up for that with a huge number of bonuses?

Also if I Animate my maul, I would be able to give it the plus 4 profane bonus right, and my last question is about the sizing enhancement, if I'm in possession of my hammer and it's sizing and i'm controlling it. Would I be able to just adjust the size to the maximum I can take over for extra damage dice?

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-28, 09:20 PM
Now when I'm fighting as the weapon would I get my strength to damage? Or could I just make up for that with a huge number of bonuses?

I'm pretty sure your physical stats at that point are those of an animated object.

ShurikVch
2016-08-29, 07:36 AM
Spell Demonic Blood Infusion (Clr/Sor/Wiz 6, Ghostwalk Web Enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030607a)) give you Chaotic and Evil subtypes, and make you to count as Outsider for spells and effects; one casting of this is all you need to qualify for FoP

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-29, 07:55 AM
Spell Demonic Blood Infusion (Clr/Sor/Wiz 6, Ghostwalk Web Enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030607a)) give you Chaotic and Evil subtypes, and make you to count as Outsider for spells and effects; one casting of this is all you need to qualify for FoP

For 1 hour/level. Better make sure you know how the DM handles this. Both CW and CA have rules that explain if you no longer have the prerequisites to qualify for a PrC you do not get to use the class abilities.

LordOfCain
2016-08-29, 09:21 AM
For 1 hour/level. Better make sure you know how the DM handles this. Both CW and CA have rules that explain if you no longer have the prerequisites to qualify for a PrC you do not get to use the class abilities.
But then again, you would have infinitely changing Ur-Priests and Dragon Disciples.

Andezzar
2016-08-29, 09:44 AM
If you just want a ridiculously powerful weapon, you could just as well go Soulknife/Soulbow/Kensai/Legacy Champion(Mau-Jehe). This was my planned build for Iron Chef LXXVI, which I ended up not finishing. Anyways, after even more cheese with items, you end up with a bow that shoots arrows with an effective enhancement level on the upper 20s, I think 25 or 26.re you sure you mean soul knife and not psychic warrior with the Soulbound Weapon ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a)?

For 1 hour/level. Better make sure you know how the DM handles this. Both CW and CA have rules that explain if you no longer have the prerequisites to qualify for a PrC you do not get to use the class abilities.As ridiculous as those rules are, they cannot change the DMG or PrCs in other source books.

MisterKaws
2016-08-29, 09:53 AM
re you sure you mean soul knife and not psychic warrior with the Soulbound Weapon ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a)?

Soulbound Weapons can't really be enhanced by a Kensai unless you go by Rule of Silly, and even then, they already have an enhancement bonus of +5, so you could at most get a +15 weapon after augments.

The trick to Soulbow lies in the fact that you are using your mind as a bow, and your mind doesn't have any enhancement bonuses as far as I know, so you can use your mind for the Kensai's weapon. After that, you still have Mau-Jehe, which fuses directly into your arrows, and those gloves that boost the Mind Blade.

Sapreaver
2016-08-29, 10:01 AM
Yea but about sizing would I be able to adjust the size of the weapon from with in if I posessed and animated it

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-29, 10:02 AM
As ridiculous as those rules are, they cannot change the DMG or PrCs in other source books.
Except that there are a lot of DMs who believe these statements just clarified what was already intended by the rules. It's a long, convoluted discussion best saved for another thread (that I won't be joining because I really don't want to go there again). Bottom line, if your DM enforces this rule it's not going to matter one bit what the people in this forum think. That's just Rule 0. Find out beforehand how your DM deals with situations where you try to use an hour per level spell (or an item, or anything else not intrinsic to your character) to qualify for a prestige class.

Sapreaver
2016-08-29, 10:33 PM
i'll definitely do that to be sure, I was thinking about this earlier is there a faster way to get the 5 will save for fiend?

Also sizing, could I adjust my weapon while i'm posessing it to increase the damage dice of the weapon, or be a diminuative flying uber maul of doom?