PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Intimidate range?

J-H
2016-08-28, 03:31 PM
I have a player in a new game (pbp) who's got a pumped Intimidate score (+24) at level 6, and is of course pairing it with Imperious Command.

There's no maximum range listed in the SRD for Diplomacy, or for Intimidate. However, other Intimidate-based feats (barbarian's rage one, etc) have a 30' range. Is there RAW support anywhere for making Intimidate work only at melee range, or only at 30' range, or ____?

I am thinking about houseruling that you can't intimidate something with more than 1.5x your HD, with each size difference counting as 2HD for purposes of this calculation (so that a level 6 character can intimidate a level 7 ogre, but not a level 8 ogre) to prevent the player from being able to intimidate-lockdown really big enemies, as otherwise I won't be able to run single-monster encounters unless they're at range. He's using a Dragon Shaman chassis, so it's not like he's totally game-breakingly OP.

Red Fel
2016-08-28, 04:17 PM
I have a player in a new game (pbp) who's got a pumped Intimidate score (+24) at level 6, and is of course pairing it with Imperious Command.

There's no maximum range listed in the SRD for Diplomacy, or for Intimidate. However, other Intimidate-based feats (barbarian's rage one, etc) have a 30' range. Is there RAW support anywhere for making Intimidate work only at melee range, or only at 30' range, or ____?

I am thinking about houseruling that you can't intimidate something with more than 1.5x your HD, with each size difference counting as 2HD for purposes of this calculation (so that a level 6 character can intimidate a level 7 ogre, but not a level 8 ogre) to prevent the player from being able to intimidate-lockdown really big enemies, as otherwise I won't be able to run single-monster encounters unless they're at range. He's using a Dragon Shaman chassis, so it's not like he's totally game-breakingly OP.

Well, since you're talking about "intimidate-lockdown," I assume you're talking about its combat applications, namely demoralizing an opponent. In that case, this part of the Intimidate skill description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm) is relevant:
You can also use Intimidate to weaken an opponent’s resolve in combat. To do so, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target’s modified level check (see above). If you win, the target becomes shaken for 1 round. A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. You can intimidate only an opponent that you threaten in melee combat and that can see you.
In other words, you may only demoralize an opponent you threaten in melee. How's that for range?

BelGareth
2016-08-28, 04:37 PM
I am said player.

I thought there was a clause that required you to threaten in melee. Which is what I did in the first combat.

I'm open to a limit, the proposed hd limit seems fair, I would add some modifiers for outsiders, because it seems silly that mortals can intimidate demons and angels.

J-H
2016-08-28, 04:51 PM
Thanks Red. I was for some reason overlooking that line.

That also means that closing to Intimidate anything with reach may involve eating an AOO.

Name1
2016-08-28, 04:56 PM
I'm open to a limit, the proposed hd limit seems fair, I would add some modifiers for outsiders, because it seems silly that mortals can intimidate demons and angels.

I think it would make sense as long as you don't confront them in their home plane, 'cause they are effectively immortal while they are outside of it.

BelGareth
2016-08-28, 05:25 PM
Thanks Red. I was for some reason overlooking that line.

That also means that closing to Intimidate anything with reach may involve eating an AOO.

I think that is part of normal movement and aoo's. But are you saying the act of intimidating provokes?

J-H
2016-08-28, 06:00 PM
I'm just referring to moving through the threatened area.

Kelvarius
2016-08-28, 09:25 PM
Just be aware of the Skill Trick "Never Outnumbered."

That is an easy to snag ability that is relevant to your question and changes the answer quite a bit.

It's from the Complete Scoundrel book and allows you to intimidate

Never Outnumbered [Interaction]
You can demoralize multiple enemies.
Prerequisite: Intimidate 8 ranks.
Benefit: When you use Intimidate to demoralize an opponent (PH 76), you can affect all enemies within 10 feet that can see you, rather than only a single enemy you threaten. Each enemy rolls a separate modified level check to oppose your Intimidate check, but the skill check otherwise works as normal.

Sure, it's only usable once per combat, but still something to be aware of.

gorfnab
2016-08-29, 01:57 AM
Just be aware of the Skill Trick "Never Outnumbered."

It combos nicely with the feat Imperious Command (DotU).
The Fear Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8759) has some decent info on how to use Fear and Intimidate effects.