PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Silent Image vs. Spellcraft Check

Tamorlin
2016-08-28, 04:14 PM
So, my NPC mage casts an illusion, like silent image. The PC wizard tries to identify the spell while it's being cast because there is no action required anyway. What happens if he identifies it successfully? Does he disbelief automatically because he knows it is an illusion? Does he gets a saving throw? Can he tell to the whole group that it is an illusion so they have the bonus to the saving throw?

Thanks

Afgncaap5
2016-08-28, 04:31 PM
I don't believe by RAW he automatically disbelieves since there's a possibility for failure with a spellcraft check. "I THINK it's an illusion, but what if I'm wrong and it's a conjuration?" is different from "Wait, that ogre threw me through a wall? Wall must not really be there." I would, however, say that a spellcraft counts as granting a will save since people are typically granted will saving throws if "they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion." I'd say a Spellcraft check is close enough to "careful study" to justify a saving throw, though I could understand some DMs disagreeing (or even disagreeing conditionally.)

I would rule that while the person making the spellcraft check can't automatically disbelieve, and doesn't have enough proof to gain the +4 bonus, it'd probably be sufficient for a +2 circumstance bonus on that Will save. But that's a personal ruling, not really RAW.

Morcleon
2016-08-28, 05:30 PM
I don't believe by RAW he automatically disbelieves since there's a possibility for failure with a spellcraft check. "I THINK it's an illusion, but what if I'm wrong and it's a conjuration?" is different from "Wait, that ogre threw me through a wall? Wall must not really be there." I would, however, say that a spellcraft counts as granting a will save since people are typically granted will saving throws if "they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion." I'd say a Spellcraft check is close enough to "careful study" to justify a saving throw, though I could understand some DMs disagreeing (or even disagreeing conditionally.)

The PC would automatically disbelieve if they succeeded on the check, since the Spellcraft check would tell you the exact spell cast (silent image, in this case). If they failed, all they would know is that a spell was cast (probably) and that they didn't pick up what it was.