PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a New Show?

hustlertwo
2016-08-28, 07:23 PM
Short backstory: my wife and I just had a baby, and we like to queue up something good to watch during feedings in the middle of the night, since I usually stay up with her. We are almost done going through Community (which we watched for the first time three years ago when our first daughter was born, so it was a fun traditional sort of thing to do it again), and in need of something else. We are a bit all over the map in what we like as a couple; Agents of Shield is a favorite, as is Community, Psych, Beyter Call Saul and Arrested Development. She does not like a lot of violence or language, or something being too dark in general (for example, she got tired of the bleakness of Mr. Robot after three or four eps). And before streaming stuff is mentioned, we currently have Prime but no Netflix or Hulu. Also no premium channels, but all of the normal cable ones.

So come on guys, hit me with some good stuff.

Kid Jake
2016-08-28, 08:05 PM
I've only got Netflix and Hulu, no idea what all I'm missing. But have you watched Parks and Recreation, How I Met Your Mother or even something like Frasier all the way through? Seems like all of them would be readily available.

hustlertwo
2016-08-28, 08:20 PM
Mother I have watched some of in early years, she has not. It had maybe three good seasons before things went south fast.

Parks and Rec I have only heard about, never seen. I was too concerned it was similar to that bleh 30 Rock. Or is it closer to Community?

Frasier is something to ponder. Though I think something with an overarching story might be better, it was at least fairly clever.

Kid Jake
2016-08-28, 08:50 PM
There's not much I can think of that I'd really compare to Community, but I'd put Parks and Recreation ahead of 30 Rock. I know a few people that don't care for it, but I binged the whole series pretty much straight through which is usually pretty rare for me.

For something with an overarching story The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret was fairly hilarious in my humble opinion. It starts slow, but ended up being one of my favorite shows by the end. Dollhouse could also be something to look into if you like Joss Whedon's style. The Good Guys and Better Off Ted don't have much in the way of a connecting plot but are both amazing, if short-lived, shows.

Also I now realize I'm pretty much just reciting my Netflix queue.

BlueHerring
2016-08-28, 09:38 PM
Parks and Rec I have only heard about, never seen. I was too concerned it was similar to that bleh 30 Rock. Or is it closer to Community?

I'd definitely second Parks and Rec. It's an excellent show, with lots of great moments that are definitely enjoyable. There are also definite character arcs for some of the characters, which is always an enjoyable thing to watch.

hustlertwo
2016-08-29, 12:30 PM
Okay, I have set up a series recording to pick up some reruns of Parks and Rec. Have to find somewhere that has it if I want to start at the beginning, it looks like. May just pick an episode to try first before it blows up my DVR.

Short-lived isn't a dealbreaker, but we need something to fill a lot of time, roughly 2 hours a night for another month or two until the feedings get shorter. So they won't help quite as much if they're only a season or so. And I don't know if I want to delve into a Whedonverse that gets shortchanged a proper resolution. At least Firefly got a movie.

comicshorse
2016-08-29, 04:38 PM
Have you seen 'Sherlock' ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)#Series_1_.282010.29

Cause y'know EVERYONE should see Sherlock

Only 10 episodes but at 90 minutes an episode they should last you a bit

Flickerdart
2016-08-29, 05:00 PM
Orphan Black is on Prime. It's not at grim as Mr. Robot, but it's pretty dark at times - within the first one or two episodes there is a suicide and a murder, but overall the amount of violence is much smaller than Agents of SHIELD, and the cast of characters ranges from "endearing painter" to "suburban housewife" to "policeman" to "religious fanatic" to "PhD student and board game nerd" with the associated level of violence accompanying them.

Stewzors
2016-08-31, 09:53 AM
I honestly cannot recommend Chuck enough if you haven't watched it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_(TV_series)

hustlertwo
2016-09-10, 06:56 AM
Parks and Rec was a hit; because of where it was on reruns we came in towards the end of season 2, but based on the reviews for season 1 it sounds like we did not miss much. It has sparked a minor controversy between us, as we debate whether Community or Parks has more entertaining characters and is the better show (I think the former, she the latter). We even broke it down character by character on a notepad, but it came out a 5-5 tie.

Looking forward to trying Orphan Black, heard good things. Not sure where to find Chuck or Sherlock. Also wishing I could find a channel or streaming option that reran Malcolm in the Middle. The whole reason I tried Breaking Bad when it premiered was because I had so much respect for Cranston for his underrated Hal. Lois got all the award love but it was his lovable schmuck that really carried things.

tantric
2016-09-10, 03:25 PM
warning - i have no idea what series play where

Sense 8 - the wachowski sibs take on psychic/super, very well done. very sexy, too
Jessica Jones - best thing marvel is putting out. it is dark, but it female dark, so that might be okay
Stranger Things - ET/goonies meets cthulhu, love it
the Outs - struggling gay folk in new york. the series is in reverse chronology, so as you watch, you go back into their lives, but it's seemless and very interesting
MTV's Shannara - yes, it's not really mature, and there's the weird elf-sexy stuff, but it's actually a fun series
Shameless - character driven show about family bonds in the chicago inner city. it's fantastic - you can't help but love them. i would give anything to be a part of that.

Aedilred
2016-09-11, 01:20 AM
How about The West Wing? It's a little dated, but not too dated; it's clever, funny, very little bad language or violence (especially when compared to other great drama shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.) and there's plenty of it so you won't run out for a while. It probably helps if you find politics interesting, of course.

Durzan
2016-09-11, 03:34 AM
Are you guys fans of anime? Voltron: Legendary Defender was made by the same guys who did Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the first season is awesome. You'd be hooked after the first episode and binge all 12 within a couple days. Its on Netflix.

Also, The Seven Deadly Sins might not be a bad one, though it's not nearly as clean as your wife might like. Good music, good story, good action sequences, great characters. It is a bit on the violent side and has some...ahem...more mature humor that will make your eyes roll, as well as some language, but nothing that would make you squirm too much. There are a few limbs that get cut off in a few scenes, but it's not nearly as bad as you might think it would be. Who knows, you and your wife might actually enjoy it. It's only 1 season of twenty to thirty episodes, so take your time with it. Also on Netflix.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is also a good one, but the storyline is fairly dark. Most of it is on Netflix, but you might have to go online to find the last half of season 5. Characters are memorable, and there is some good humor in it, definitely one of the better entry level anime. It's not as dark as some other animes, nor too lighthearted to make you want to bang your head against the wall.

Last but not least... you could always watch Avatar the Last Airbender again... which I am sure you are familiar with. nowadays, it's a classic.

wobner
2016-09-11, 12:36 PM
Some off the wall stuff perhaps.

As its on my mind at the moment, I am going to recommend "Wonderfalls", which from quick check, appears to be available from amazon Prime(I don't have prime, so I'm not sure, but it looks like it). Its Executive Producer Tim Minear, one of the people behind Angel and Firefly, and Todd Holland and Bryan Fuller writing. Its about a woman, Jaye Tyler(awesome Caroline Dhavernas, very snarky), who works at a souvenir store on the American side of Niagra Falls, when the souvenirs start talking to her. Give it a few episodes, the first had some executive meddling. Its only 13 episodes I think, as it was canceled before its first season(the curse of Mr. Minear, actually it was basically cancelled before it ever aired, go FOX) its a personal favorite of mine, though its quirky, its not community quirky, so it might not be your thing(I actually don't like community, so take the suggestion for what its worth).

If you like it you might like "Pushing Daisies", which lasted a whole 2 seasons, had the brother From Wonderfalls as the star(Lee Pace) along with Chi McBride. It follows a pie maker who can bring anyone back to life, but for only a short while, lest someone else die and take their place, if he touches them again, they are dead for good. He uses the power to try and solve murders, it's played for comedy, so its not as dark as it sounds. It wasn't as good as Wonderfalls, but I found it entertaining from time to time in its own way. also seems to be available from Prime. It also had some characters from Wonderfalls crossover, as Bryan Fuller was involved

Speaking of Chi McBride, "Human Target". Based off a comic book I believe. Its stars Mark Valley as a sort of body guard who injects himself into his clients lives, working with Chi McBride, a former cop, as well as Jackie Earle Haley, a very seedy former associate. Haley and McBride tend to steal the show with their bickering. Pretty entertaining at times, if a little muddled(especially the second and final season)

Another quirky one(which came up when I looked up one of the previous ones), a spin off of Bones(but don't hold it against them) called "The Finder", staring the awesome Michael Clarke Duncan(one of his last roles). Its about a Iraq war vet, who because of an injury suffered in the war, has the ability to see connections that others can't, and uses it to recover items, solve crimes, etc. Its been awhile since I saw it, and though I remember being entertained, I also found its handling of the subject material to be a little insensitive at times, Mr. Clarke kept me watching.

and finally, "The Glades", a cop from Chicago moves to a small town in Florida after an 'incident' with his boss, hoping for a leisurely relaxed job with the state police, things don't quite work out that way. Quirky and at times quite funny, although eventually the main characters personality starts to seriously grate(he can be a royal jerk, and after a while it loses its charm).

As long as you aren't paying for data, and get unlimited streaming from Prime, these might be worth looking into.

My two cents on West Wing, I liked the early episodes, and while its clear what Mr. Sorkins Personal political views were, he was somewhat even handed and intelligent in presenting the opposition,( I felt anyways). Once he had his nervous breakdown and the powers that be took over, things went down hill fast. I'd stop there.

Friv
2016-09-11, 12:41 PM
I am straight-up shocked that no one has recommended this yet, so I will.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOzTFjHMXU0). It's a little like Community, but set in a police station and with a cast that are a bit more like a family and a bit less like a deeply dysfunctional family.

It may be the best comedy on TV right now, and it's on Netflix.

hustlertwo
2016-09-11, 01:19 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions, keep them coming! Even though a lot of people have kinda skipped the first post and thrown out a lot of Netflix/Hulu/HBO and Showtime suggestions, it is still good to have for some future time when we either have those or the shows are syndicated elsewhere.

Funny to see Pushing Daisies put out there; we watched it three years ago with our first child's nursing. It is funny how appealing that show is when that sort of sticky sweetness would normally seem cloying. If Wonderfalls is similar, I am already interested. Not sure how to go through PD again though, since last time it was being rerun on Chiller so we recorded them. Have not seen it on there or elsewhere since around then.

Brooklyn 9-9 I have been trying to record since before this thread went up, as I heard a lot of similarities existed between that and Community; we will probably try a random ep from the handful we have when Parks is done. But at 1 per week it may go too slow to be of much use.

To clarify, we started in late season 2 for Parks, but we move fast (after all; we watched all 110 or so eps of Community before our daughter was 5 weeks old). We are already midway through season 4; they just introduced Paul Rudd. And Ben and Chris, the new characters referenced, are the only reason it was a 5-5 tie. We tried matching similar characters but there were not enough between the shows, so instead we just went by IMDb's listing of them in order. Here is what we had, and amusingly we agreed on who was better in all ten match ups despite having differing opinions about which show has the overall better cast (winner is in bold):

Leslie vs. Jeff
Ron vs. Britta
April vs. Abed
Andy vs. Annie
Tom vs. Chang
Jerry vs. Shirley
Donna vs. Dean
Ann vs. Troy
Ben vs. Pierce
Chris vs. Leonard (yeah, Community was one short on major characters who lasted more than a season)

West Wing is a favorite of a friend of mine. But Sorkin is hit or miss for me; Studio 60's death was not undeserved.

I really want to watch Jessica Jones. I am a big Krysten Ritter fan from Breaking Bad and the somewhat underrated Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23. The premise sounds excellent, and the connectivity to other shows is our kind of thing. In makes me ponder getting Netflix, I must admit. We have a couple Roku 3 units so we would be able to watch easily enough.

As for anime, I used to watch some on Adult Swim but am not way into it (Full Metal was one I did enjoy quite a bit, though). Michele has a freely admitted prejudice against watching animated things, though. You know what they say, like someone for their strengths, love them for their flaws.

Friv
2016-09-11, 01:59 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions, keep them coming! Even though a lot of people have kinda skipped the first post and thrown out a lot of Netflix/Hulu/HBO and Showtime suggestions, it is still good to have for some future time when we either have those or the shows are syndicated elsewhere.

Whoops, I read that first post exactly backwards. I was looking at shows that are on Hulu and Netflix, but not Prime.

Giggling Ghast
2016-09-11, 02:19 PM
Do you like Naked Gun-esque laughs? Try Angie Tribeca. Half-hour episodes, very light on story.

Velaryon
2016-09-11, 08:07 PM
To the OP, I'm not sure where you live but consider what your public library might have to offer (if you have one in your area). They probably have a DVD collection and many will carry DVDs of TV series, so you can get access to some things that way. And if they don't have it, they may be able to get it from another library for you. That will open up many of the options people are listing that are otherwise available only through channels you don't have. Except Netflix original series - for some reason they don't seem to be in any hurry to put most of those on DVD.

I know it's not easy to get over there when you have a newborn, but you might be able to stop in on your way to/from other places like work, the store, etc. If you call ahead or reserve things through the internet, they'll have it waiting for you so you can just stop in, pick up your holds, and go. Heck, some larger libraries even have a drive-thru.

Anyway, for my own show suggestion: I'm currently watching the fifth and final season of Lost Girl, which I can recommend pretty highly. I'm watching on Netflix, but apparently it did air on SyFy (the show is Canadian in origin though), so you should be able to find it somewhere.

It's about a woman named Bo who discovers that she's a succubus, able to feed on the sexual energies of others, and that she's part of a community of different kinds of fey with various powers (werewolves, oracles, sirens, and so on. Think of a mythical creature and there's a fair chance it's represented in at least one episode). The show follows Bo and the group of friends she assembles as she figures out who she is, where she comes from, and deals with various supernatural and world-ending threats.

The series falls solidly within the urban fantasy genre, and there's a definite and noticeable Whedon influence, but there's no sudden cancellation (like Firefly), no attempt to put five seasons' worth of plot into one season (like Dollhouse), and it does have its own voice and tone different enough from the Buffyverse where you won't feel like you've already seen it before.

The show doesn't have American culture's hangups about sex (Bo is bisexual and frequently depicted having sex, though nothing NSFW is ever shown that I can recall), and there is occasional swearing but not a whole lot. It has an overarching plot with individual episodes that often stand on their own. I can't speak for the ending yet because I'm not there, but I'm early in the final season and I have no complaints so far.

Ramza00
2016-09-11, 09:46 PM
Are you guys fans of anime? Voltron: Legendary Defender was made by the same guys who did Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the first season is awesome. You'd be hooked after the first episode and binge all 12 within a couple days. Its on Netflix.

Studio Mir is the studio who animated Voltron, but the executive producers and the writters of Avatar and Voltron are completely different. Here is a hint

Links to Avatar The Last Airbender Opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1EnW4kn1kg

Pay attention at second 44 where after the title of the show is shown it lists the show's creators.

Now Avatar the Last Airbender was not done by Studio Mir but instead Nickelodeon Animation Studios. Legend of Korra was about 80% done by Studio Mir with a couple of episodes outsourced. Now the founder of Studio Mir (Jae-Myung Yu) previous done some work for Nickelodeon Animation Studios and Avatar as Animation Director, which is a big deal,, but only was Animation Director for certain episodes not the entire series.

wobner
2016-09-12, 12:26 AM
just to clarify though, you do have streaming through prime, correct? that is to say, no serious download issues and such(we pay for data overages, for example, not that it gets too exorbitant, and speeds can be on the low side).

I am actually less sure now that prime has the shows I mentioned for streaming, as anything I look up feels the need to mention unlimited streaming if only I would join prime, with an image of what I just looked up next to the text, which implies its available on prime, right, but is starting to seem more like a default response from amazon(and a really smarmy tactic), as opposed to actually indicating availability.
So if I am wrong on that, my sincerest apologies.
Okay... So Amazon was redirecting my searches, nice, and why?... I really hate Amazon anymore
So definitely let me apologize if I sent you on a wild goose chase with any of my suggestions.

another thought I had was "Boston Legal", from the mind of David E. Kelley, about a big law firm with quite a few bizarre and whacky lawyers. It's a spin off of "The Practice", but has far more in common with "Ally McBeal". Stars the wonderful James Spader, Rene Auberjonis, Candice Bergen, William Shatner, Mark Valley, Julie Bowen, and quite a few others. It can get ridiculous in its antics, but also has a fair bit of intelligence to it. No idea if its on prime, but it does rerun from time to time.

Okay, so one that definitely appears to be on prime, and its still running on USA, if that's a channel you get. "Suits", about a hotshot lawyer who hires, as an intern, a man with an eidetic memory whose knowledge of the law comes from having taken the bar and various other tests for other people who couldn't pass on their own, but himself has none of the actual legal requirements to be a lawyer having never taken the courses as himself, which makes for the drama. The banter is witty, the show is fairly intelligent, and Donna is awesome(Sarah Rafferty). Although I haven't watched the last 2 seasons.

If they have "Suits", I'm assuming they also have "White Collar" not that I found it(which was also still rerunning on USA last time I checked), Matt Bomer and Tim Dekay. Dekay is an FBI agent and Bomer an art forger and thief whom Dekay arrested. Dekay works with Bomer to catch white collar criminals, and tries to keep him in line. Willie Garson Is great as Mozzie once the show gets going.

Oh, and I saw a couple of seasons of "Avatar: the last Air Bender" listed on Prime streaming when I finally got it to stop redirecting me. It was mentioned as being on Netflix, Prime seems to have it as well.

Porthos
2016-09-14, 03:03 AM
I might also add in Star Wars: Rebels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Rebels). As long as you have cable/satellite, you can watch all of the Rebels episodes that have aired so far on the Disney XD player (http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/star-wars-rebels). It does require you to confirm your cable/satellite log in, but that's becoming more and more common for 'free' streaming services.

And, naturally, there are ads (though not nearly as many as many streaming services - in fact, near as I can tell there are just a couple of ads before the start of each episode and then none during the actual episode [though there might be an extra set in the extra long episodes - haven't checkd that]). But, hey, can't beat free. :smallsmile:

As for the series, it does seem to fit the bill of what you were describing. It's not too heavy, channels the spirit of the OT fairly well, and is, well, just fun. But it also gets into deep and even somewhat disturbing themes at times.

It's not for everyone, true. But like many shows nowadays, there is character development throughout the series and there are season long plotlines, though it isn't nearly as 'arc heavy' as many other shows. It's also isn't nearly as 'kiddie' as one might expect, though it is certainly 'family entertainment'.

And, hey, it's Star Wars. Can't really beat Star Wars. :smalltongue:

Chives
2016-09-15, 01:29 AM
Galavant's quite good, it's about a knight going to save his beloved from an evil king.
I can't say anything else without spoiling a intricate plot, but there's definitely a lot of singing! :smallbiggrin:

hustlertwo
2016-09-20, 08:12 PM
I do love Naked Gun (I own the "whole" Police Squad series on VHS), but could not get into Angie Tribeca. It was too similar and yet not similar enough.

Library might actually be a great idea once the baby gets her 2 month vaccinations, since our 3 year old goes every week for storytime. A lot of the older shows we have talked about might be available.

Boston Legal, if rerun, would be a good one to choose. Watched that a lot with my parents back in the day, it was a bit too political often but a stellar cast and snappy writing kept it going. Spader may be associated with that Blacklist show now, but I always think of him as Shatner's BFF, staving off the effects of Mad Cow one platonic sleepover at a time.

I don't understand the distinction about streaming on Prime. Is there multiple tiers of Prime? I mean, we have home internet, so I don't know of any limits there.

hustlertwo
2019-03-30, 08:19 PM
Reviving this thread rather than making a new one, since it helped last time (as it helped us find two favorite shows, Parks and Rec and Sherlock).

Help! Looking for suggestions on a show to watch with my wife. She is not a fan of excessive violence (especially involving kids), or a lot of language or basically anything else that would make a show TV-MA. Here’s a list of some of the shows we have both enjoyed in the past:

-Parks and Rec
-Agents of Shield
-Community
-Psych
-Sherlock
-Better Call Saul (I did get her to watch BB, but it was a little much for her)
-Most recently, we both liked Umbrella Academy

We have basic cable, Netflix, Hulu and Prime. Any suggestions are welcome, but before you say anything, we weren’t big on Brooklyn 9-9. Also, my wife does not like animation. Yes, she is ridiculous but I love her anyhow.

Aedilred
2019-03-30, 08:37 PM
If you liked Parks and Rec, try Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Not comedy, but I have enjoyed The Expanse so far. I don't think it's particularly dark per se, but then my tastes do veer in that direction, so it might not bef for your wife.

I don't know how caught up you are on classic series and drama in particular. The West Wing is excellent. If you don't mind something a little darker/more violent, so is, for the most part, Battlestar. The Sopranos and The Wire go without saying. I also had a great time with Boardwalk Empire. All of them have healthy numbers of episodes.

The Newsroom is preachier than The West Wing and doesn't run as long, but I love it all the same.

Mad Men is good, of course. Suits is alright. Many of the characters are punch-me smug and the plot is largely preposterous, but it's watchable. Gossip Girl (no, really) is surprisingly good in its early seasons at least, and none of these series are dark unless you find watching unnecessarily rich people be unnecessarily rich to be inherently depressing - which I wouldn't blame you for.

hustlertwo
2019-03-30, 08:47 PM
If you liked Parks and Rec, try Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Not comedy, but I have enjoyed The Expanse so far. I don't think it's particularly dark per se, but then my tastes do veer in that direction, so it might not bef for your wife.

I don't know how caught up you are on classic series and drama in particular. The West Wing is excellent. If you don't mind something a little darker/more violent, so is, for the most part, Battlestar. The Sopranos and The Wire go without saying. I also had a great time with Boardwalk Empire. All of them have healthy numbers of episodes.

The Newsroom is preachier than The West Wing and doesn't run as long, but I love it all the same.

Mad Men is good, of course. Suits is alright. Many of the characters are punch-me smug and the plot is largely preposterous, but it's watchable. Gossip Girl (no, really) is surprisingly good in its early seasons at least, and none of these series are dark unless you find watching unnecessarily rich people be unnecessarily rich to be inherently depressing - which I wouldn't blame you for.

Hi! I remember you from that fun ludus game from a few years back. I had the inbred Gallic mountain clan. Good times.

Some good suggestions there, although a few are definitely TV-MA. I do wonder about Battlestar. It is fairly beloved.

JoshL
2019-03-30, 09:48 PM
Since this thread mentions some of my favorites (Community, Parks and Recreation), and a nod to Pushing Daisies (which I have an unhealthy obsession with), i'd be remiss to not express my love for the Good Place. First two seasons on Netflix now, same creator as Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn 99. Watch it now.

Peelee
2019-03-30, 11:20 PM
I jumped in to recommend Community, but then saw you just got through it. There's a lot already in here that I would have recommended, so I'ma go with a new suggestion and toss out Superstore. Sitcoms are easy to make poorly, so I like to support the ones that do it well.

ben-zayb
2019-03-31, 03:20 AM
I just realized most TV series I watch right now are either violent and/or animated.

Does it have to be something episodic with a solid overarching plot? How about just comedy series or comedy sketch shows? I recommend Flight of the Conchords and Key & Peele.

hustlertwo
2019-03-31, 03:57 AM
I just realized most TV series I watch right now are either violent and/or animated.

Does it have to be something episodic with a solid overarching plot? How about just comedy series or comedy sketch shows? I recommend Flight of the Conchords and Key & Peele.

Yeah, same here. I wake up earlier than her most days, and although I normally spend that time writing, when I do watch TV it is stuff like Black Mirror, Archer, Bojack, Fargo, Always Sunny, and so on.

It doesn’t have to be a continuous plot, but it helps us to get into it. I may need to try some sketch stuff, maybe break out the Chappelle DVDs.

Kitten Champion
2019-03-31, 06:58 AM
I'd strongly recommend The Good Place with Kristen Belle and Ted Denson -- there are two seasons on Netflix. It's a peculiar serialized comedy set in the afterlife with a lot of emphasis on exploring the humour in ethics, with most of the episodes themed around some philosophical outlook subtly or not.

zlefin
2019-03-31, 07:37 AM
Have you watched Monk? it seems like it'd fit well with the other stuff you've seen.

Supermorff
2019-03-31, 02:52 PM
I'd echo everyone who has suggested The Good Place so far, it's great.

You could try The Tick (the recent live action one on Prime, but the old cartoon is good too), Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and Elementary (since you like Sherlock you might like this different take on a modern Holmes). Also, last time someone mentioned Galavant but I don't know if you tried it. The first song from the show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4) is available on YouTube if you're curious (and, yes, King Richard is played by Carlton Lassiter from Psych and Madalena is played by Aida from Agents of SHIELD).

comicshorse
2019-03-31, 04:10 PM
I'll third 'The Good Place' and second 'Elementary'
You might try 'Lucifer' as well. A cop show where a hot female cop teams up with the Lord of Hell to fight crime. No, seriously. OK it really isn't serious but it is still fun

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052886/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Magic_Hat
2019-04-01, 12:31 AM
The new She-Ra cartoon isn't half bad. I also recommend Samurai Jack especially since they finished the series like a year or two ago. There's also webseries like abridged series. May I recommend any series from these groups:

-Team Four Star. (Dragon Ball Z abridged, Final Fantasy VII Machinabridged, Hellsing Ultimate Abridged (which has since concluded))
-Little Kuriboh (Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged)
-Something Witty Entertainment (Sword Art Online Abridged)
-The Schmuck Squad (Seven Deadly Sins Abridged and like a bunch of other stuff I don't feel like listing)

Peelee
2019-04-01, 10:37 AM
I'm also going to toss out Jane the Virgin. They take the ridiculousness of telenovelas and ramp it up to 11 for comedy. It's very cleverly done.

Joran
2019-04-01, 11:03 AM
As mentioned by everyone, The Good Place is fantastic and you should watch it; first two seasons are on Netflix, third season needs a cable subscription and streaming.

If you're a fan of classical music, you can try Mozart in the Jungle on Prime; sex, drugs, and classical music.

I've heard good things about Marvelous Ms. Maisel., also on Prime.

For the more fantastical on Hulu, you could try The Runaways (a Marvel series) or if you missed it the first time around Buffy: the Vampire Slayer.

For a more serial sci-fi show, we enjoyed Continuum and Dark Matter on Netflix. Fair warning, Dark Matter ends on a cliffhanger, because they canceled it =P

hustlertwo
2019-04-04, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll comb through the responses here and elsewhere and come up with a list of possibles.