PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Asipan (Beewoman) [PEACH]

PyritePyro
2007-07-06, 11:24 PM
This is my first attempt at homebrewing, and I need feedback. I don't really know what several of the factors on this should be, so PLEASE, give me feed back. Also, this is only the first of 3 types of this monster, but I thought I should get feedback, in hopes of breaking my writer's block for the other two. So without further ado, here goes.

Apisan Worker
Medium Monsterous Humanoid
Initiitve +2
Hit Dice: 1d8
speed: 20 feet (50 feet fly)
Armor Class: 12 (+1 natural, +1 dex) 11 touch, 11 flat footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+0
Attack: wrist-sting+4 1d4-2, wrist-sting+4 1d4-2, tail-sting+2 2d6-2
Full Attack: Wrist-sting+2, wrist-sting+2 or Wrist-sting+2, wrist-sting+2 tail-sting+2
Space/Reach: 5 feet, 5 feet.
Special Attacks: Tail-sting, poison, Honey
Special Qualities: Flying(excellent), Pheromone sense
saves:Fort +2, Ref +2, Will -2,
abilities: str 7, dex 14 con 10, int 11, wiz 6, cha 15
Skills: Diplomacy +8, Sense Motive +6
Feats: Weapon Finnese
Enviromnent: Forests or plains
Organization: Scout-party 4-8, swarm 50-100 Workers, 10-20 drones, 1 queen hive 500-1000, 10-40 drones, 1-2 queens
Challenge Rating:2
Alignment: Usually Lawful Neutral
Advancement:By class
Level Adjustment: +2

Apisan Workers as character:
-2 str +2 dex, -2 wiz, +2 cha
Aspian females do most of the work for the hive, however their usefulness is primarily due to speed, not strength. They build the hive, find food, and defend the hive. Aspians very rarely wear armor, as that it interferes with their wings. Aspians dislike combat, preferring to negotiate, especially with their honey to get on the good side of others. Asipan males (drones) are inappropriate for adventurers, though they may be used as followers through the leadership feat. (Drone stats coming when I figure them out)

Description:Aspians resemble humans, though smaller, usualy between 4 feet and 4 feet 6 inches tall, and usualy around 70 lbs. The males are slightly larger than the females. It is difficult to tell a queen from a worker at first examination. The clothing that Aspians wear is purely dependant on climate, and any cultural concessions that they have made with humans. They have what appear to be functional humanoid sexual organs, but actually reproduce like insects. Unlike regular bees the males do not die after a single reproductive cycle. Workers typically live around 20 years, and do not gain any benefits from aging, since most of their knowledge is instinctive. They also do not suffer any physical penalties, they simply die after their time is up.

Pheromone Sense (ex): Apisans have the ability to decode pheromones from almost any creature. This gives them a great advantage in determining the motives of others. An aspan who can smell the pheromones given off by another creature gets a +6 to all sense motive checks on that creature. They also have the ability to sense the motive of vermin. Because undead have no natural body chemistry, they are immune to the pheromone sense, and apisans suffer a -4 penalty against them. Because this sense prevents lying among beefolk they take a -2 to all bluff checks.

Honey (ex) : The honey an apisan produces acts as a charm monster spell, at twice the caster level of the apsian's hit dice. This includes any class levels. The apisan can produce the honey once per day per hit dice, including class levels. The honey has a mildly attractive scent, and also a mild euphoic affect to it. Hives that take slaves from other races often addict them to the honey, making escape impossible.

Poison (ex): Aspians can produce a poison from their wrist-stings. This poison does 1d4 con damage. And 1d2 con damage to the Asipan. The affect on the victim can be negated by a DC 20 fort save. The Asipan does not get a fort save against the affects of it's own poison. The Asipan takes damage 1 round after an attempt to use their poison against an enemy from the toxin leaking into their own blood stream. This damage occurs whether the attack is successful or not.

Tail Sting(ex): As a last resort, or when there is a powerful threat to the hive, an Asipan has a stinger it can shove into it's enemies. This is always fatal though. The asipan will die in 1d10 rounds after using this attack. Except when the hive itself is threatened Asipans are loath to shove their reproductive organs into other creatures for any reason other than recreation.
Only female Asipans (queens and workers) can perform this attack. The tail sting does not connect to any poison glands. The Asipan dies from the trauma of their reproductive organs being ripped from their body, and bleeding to death.

Asipan Society: In Asipan society females are the ultimate rulers of the roost. Drones exist solely for reproduction and recreation. They also serve as domestic servants to the females. Males are very rarely seen outside of the hive, except during swarming, or mating. During mating season queens will often trade drones, much like children trade toys. Queens have little care of the drones that fertilize them are related to them or not. Any drone, or worker in a hive will refer to the queen as their Mother. Both queens and workers are fertile, However not as fertile as the vermin type of bee that they resemble. All drones and workers in a hive refer to each other as siblings, regardless of any biological relationships. Queens typically produce clutches of 10-20 eggs per mating, and workers typically produce 2-3 eggs per successful mating. Most matings are recreational though, and often no eggs are produced by workers. Approximately 75% of eggs produce females, and the differentiation between queen and workers occurs during the 3 year larval period for Asipans. After 3 years they form a pupae, like insects, and emerge after another 6 months, in their adult form. Any genetic defectives are destroyed while they are still in the larval stage.

Other Races: Aspians will deal with other races, though they tend to be Very territorial close to their hive. They often trade items they gather, or produce for luxuries. Asipan drones are extremely skilled brewers, though they are also shy, and will not leave the hive. They will deal honestly and openly with anyone, and will honor a contract so long as it does not threaten the hive. Even if it means that individual workers or drones perish. Asipan honey when administered by someone other than the asipan who produced it provides the charm monster affect as if cast by the person giving the honey to the victim. Asipans value jewlery and brightly colored (though minimal to prevent interference with flight) clothing for both sexes.

Intraspecies relations: Asipan hives will go to war with each other over resources and territory. The losing side in a conflict, or the side determined to be in the wrong will usually offer several males to the victorious or wronged hive as reparations for the casualties inflicted. Wars to totally destroy other hives are very rare.

DracoDei
2007-07-08, 11:53 PM
I assume that the Charm effect of the honey is upon the target eating it?

What is the poison damage on the tail sting(I assume there is some)?

Do they take CON damage from their wrist stings even if they miss?

Are the wrist stings each one use (until they grow back), and if not why do they deal CON damage to the Asipan?

Some information on how they interact with other races would be nice... trade? agressive for territory? Xenophobic and territorial?

Lifespan? Tendency toward STDs(sorry with the casual mate swapping it had to be asked...)?

PyritePyro
2007-07-09, 02:21 AM
I assume that the Charm effect of the honey is upon the target eating it?

Yes.

What is the poison damage on the tail sting(I assume there is some)?

None, the poison sacs are only connected to the wrist spine. Only reproductive organs are connected to the tail sting

Do they take CON damage from their wrist stings even if they miss?

They should. It should be done at the release of the poison, I should clarify

Are the wrist stings each one use (until they grow back), and if not why do they deal CON damage to the Asipan?

The Asipans are NOT immune to their own toxins. When they produce the poison some leaks into their blood stream

Some information on how they interact with other races would be nice... trade? agressive for territory? Xenophobic and territorial?

I was thinking not Xenophobic, quite. But not particularly interested in others except as far as the others can serve them

Lifespan? Tendency toward STDs(sorry with the casual mate swapping it had to be asked...)?
Lifespan I was thinking about 20 years for females, 30 for queens, and 10 for males. Any Aspian that became ill would simply be destroyed, keeping STDs down.

Thank you for the feedback, and I will try to get all this edited back into my original entry.

PyritePyro
2007-07-10, 09:07 PM
Asipan Worker
Medium Monsterous Humanoid

Stats are still not determined. Posting fluff because I'm having some trouble deciding what they should be.

Description: Asipan Drones (males) are not even considered citizens by the females of their species. They are simply a convinence. They handle all domestic chores inside the hive, and primarily exist to serve the females of the hive. They are considered to be a particularly valuable convinence though, and are often traded with other hives for territory or resources. Once a year the queens in a region gather together and trade drones, to prevent genetic stagnation. Very rarely a queen or workers will mistreat the males though, since an abused male is a sign that they will not properly take care of any males traded to them. Males typicaly have a shorter lifespan than females. They are totaly incapable of violence, and if threated will flee. If escape is not an option, they will surrender, unconditionaly, and not resist, even if that results in them being killed.

Also, I'm not sure if a pure non-combatant needs stats per-se or not.