PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon Empire IC, Part III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

RandomWombat
2016-08-28, 09:01 PM
Thread 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16960639#post16960639), Thread 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400800-PF-The-Dragon-Empire-IC-II)

The scroll shop, Wheel of Fortune, is decorated on the outside with a pair of woven banners depicting a wagon wheel. The cloth is yellow, with the trim having a slightly metallic gold sheen to it. The door is heavy oak, and a bell jingles as the party enters - sans Olivin, who watches from a fruit stall nearby.

The people in the market go about their shopping. Nobody is doing anything out of the ordinary.

Edmund, River, and Azrin are now inside of the shop. The walls are stone reinforced with wood, and the floor and ceiling are made up of wooden boards. A welcome mat sits just inside of the door, and the walls are lined with wooden shelves. There are scroll cases on display, pens and various different colored inks, and labelled glass display cases with spell scrolls inside. The woman behind the polished wooden counter is not very remarkable, clad in a beige dress and with her dark hair done up in a bun atop her head. She looks to be in her late thirties. The light from the setting sun shines in through the large street-side window, and the section of the counter where it falls is where a spiky-scaled grey lizard lazes in the last of the day's warmth. One eye flicks open and watches the trio enter. "Good evening," the woman greets them cheerfully. "Let me know if you need any help." She is currently dusting the counter, and a few ornate scroll cases which are on display there.

Archemist
2016-08-28, 09:33 PM
The woman behind the polished wooden counter is not very remarkable, clad in a beige dress and with her dark hair done up in a bun atop her head. She looks to be in her late thirties. The light from the setting sun shines in through the large street-side window, and the section of the counter where it falls is where a spiky-scaled grey lizard lazes in the last of the day's warmth. One eye flicks open and watches the trio enter. "Good evening," the woman greets them cheerfully. "Let me know if you need any help." She is currently dusting the counter, and a few ornate scroll cases which are on display there.

"Oh, excuse me! My eyes are down here, Ma'am. You may call me Azrin, and these are my friends. I was wondering if you might be a fellow magician, then? River here has had two of the most curious little silvery coins come into his possession and I thought it'd be good to get a second opinion on them.

"The second bit of business is that I hear you may have an animal friend who knows some magic - " here Azrin lowers his voice conspiratorially " - and I happen to, too. If it'd be all right, mine might like to talk to yours and compare notes. Botticelli, what do you say?" Azrin asks, drawing the turtle from his bag. He reaches up and sets him on the counter.

H. Von Studley
2016-08-29, 12:19 AM
Before the woman has a chance to respond, Edmund cuts in as well. "I also had a few questions I'd hoped you could help me with, if you don't mind."

As he speaks he saunters over to a shelf, casually picking up a few items, examining them with mild curiousity and placing them back down again, each one slightly out of place.

"I recently came across an old scroll. I read it, thinking it held some kind of spell, but instead it seemed to contain ancient memories of a fighting technique. It seems as though the technique has been branded into my mind, and I've been able to use it a few times now as if were my own. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Do you sell anything like that here?"

Aeryk
2016-08-29, 03:07 PM
River enters the shop about 30 seconds after the other two, and begins silently perusing the inventory. He particularly looks for something that he might be able to 'accidentally' knock over and cause a scene in case they need to make more time. As soon as there is a convenient gap for River to interject, he'll ask the shopkeeper about acquiring an Amulet of Mighty Fists, or something similar.

RandomWombat
2016-08-29, 08:52 PM
"Oh, excuse me! My eyes are down here, Ma'am. You may call me Azrin, and these are my friends. I was wondering if you might be a fellow magician, then? River here has had two of the most curious little silvery coins come into his possession and I thought it'd be good to get a second opinion on them.

"The second bit of business is that I hear you may have an animal friend who knows some magic - " here Azrin lowers his voice conspiratorially " - and I happen to, too. If it'd be all right, mine might like to talk to yours and compare notes. Botticelli, what do you say?" Azrin asks, drawing the turtle from his bag. He reaches up and sets him on the counter.

"Oh, certainly! I can attempt an appraisal if you'd like," the woman answers pleasantly, nodding once. She seems excited. "I love seeing new magic. Could I see them? The appraisal will be on the house."

She reaches down and taps her lizard on the base of the tail as Botticelli is placed on the counter. "Play nice now, Grommit." Grommit's eyes flicker to the woman, then to Azrin, and then Botticelli. He makes a grumbling sound and swallows. "A fellow delver of the arcane, are we? I'm Fortuna." She offers a hand to shake. Botticelli finds himself being circled and appraised by the lizard. Fortuna glances at him out of the corner of her eye as well, with interest.

Before the woman has a chance to respond, Edmund cuts in as well. "I also had a few questions I'd hoped you could help me with, if you don't mind."

As he speaks he saunters over to a shelf, casually picking up a few items, examining them with mild curiousity and placing them back down again, each one slightly out of place.

"I recently came across an old scroll. I read it, thinking it held some kind of spell, but instead it seemed to contain ancient memories of a fighting technique. It seems as though the technique has been branded into my mind, and I've been able to use it a few times now as if were my own. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Do you sell anything like that here?"

"Mm, I've heard of them - martial scrolls. Somehow, the people who make them imprint their muscle memory into the scroll. I've never seen one myself."

River enters the shop about 30 seconds after the other two, and begins silently perusing the inventory. He particularly looks for something that he might be able to 'accidentally' knock over and cause a scene in case they need to make more time. As soon as there is a convenient gap for River to interject, he'll ask the shopkeeper about acquiring an Amulet of Mighty Fists, or something similar.

The shelves look quite sturdy, but bumping into one of the display cases might work. She looks up when he asks about the amulet, "I know a dwarf named Kusmak, he does custom work. Runs a shop called the Green Gull just down the street. Good friend of mine."

There's a group of three thuggish looking men walking down the road. Their destination isn't clear yet.

H. Von Studley
2016-08-30, 06:16 AM
"Mm, I've heard of them - martial scrolls. Somehow, the people who make them imprint their muscle memory into the scroll. I've never seen one myself."

"Martial scroll eh? That seems fitting enough. Have you heard of anyone selling them in Stalling? Or anywhere in the Empire?"

Archemist
2016-08-30, 04:54 PM
"Oh, certainly! I can attempt an appraisal if you'd like," the woman answers pleasantly, nodding once. She seems excited. "I love seeing new magic. Could I see them? The appraisal will be on the house."

She reaches down and taps her lizard on the base of the tail as Botticelli is placed on the counter. "Play nice now, Grommit." Grommit's eyes flicker to the woman, then to Azrin, and then Botticelli. He makes a grumbling sound and swallows. "A fellow delver of the arcane, are we? I'm Fortuna." She offers a hand to shake. Botticelli finds himself being circled and appraised by the lizard. Fortuna glances at him out of the corner of her eye as well, with interest.

Botticelli also appraises Grommit, turning his little head to peer one way and then the other.

Azrin says to River, "Let's show her one of the coins, eh?" To Fortuna, again, "Pleased to meet you. Does Grommit know your spells, or do you just have them written down? Botticelli here knows some of mine and might be convinced to trade. He's very bright, as turtles go." Azrin makes a small pun, also having noticed Fortuna studying the silver turtle.

Aeryk
2016-08-30, 07:39 PM
She looks up when he asks about the amulet, "I know a dwarf named Kusmak, he does custom work. Runs a shop called the Green Gull just down the street. Good friend of mine."

"The Green Gull? Okay, I'll have to remember that..."

Azrin says to River, "Let's show her one of the coins, eh?"
"Oh, yes," River pulls out one of the silvery coins and holds it up between them so she can see it, "Here's one."

RandomWombat
2016-08-30, 09:55 PM
Botticelli also appraises Grommit, turning his little head to peer one way and then the other.

Azrin says to River, "Let's show her one of the coins, eh?" To Fortuna, again, "Pleased to meet you. Does Grommit know your spells, or do you just have them written down? Botticelli here knows some of mine and might be convinced to trade. He's very bright, as turtles go." Azrin makes a small pun, also having noticed Fortuna studying the silver turtle.

"Certainly, I'd be willing to trade spells. ...Say, did you cast this silver into the patterns on his shell?" she asks, then adds, "May I trace these patterns with some charcoal? They would make an excellent design for my scroll cases."

"The Green Gull? Okay, I'll have to remember that..."

"Oh, yes," River pulls out one of the silvery coins and holds it up between them so she can see it, "Here's one."

"Mhm," Fortuna holds her hand over her eyes and when she lowers it they possess a blue glow. She looks closely at the coin for a while. "As I suspected. I've seen these before, special coins that act as luck charms, quite rare. I would be interested in purchasing one if you're willing to part with it."

Archemist
2016-08-30, 10:59 PM
"Certainly, I'd be willing to trade spells. ...Say, did you cast this silver into the patterns on his shell?" she asks, then adds, "May I trace these patterns with some charcoal? They would make an excellent design for my scroll cases."

"If Botticelli is willing, I'd be. Do you know any spells related to water, or size-changing spells?"

Can I make a Spellcraft check to determine if the patterns on Botticelli are powerful or just pretty? I'm not sure I'd been picturing them as a pattern so much as just a mirror-like shell surface. I'll let you roll for me, if you like, RW.

RandomWombat
2016-08-31, 04:38 PM
The silver shell retains the grooves and bumps from Botticelli's original shell, though a bit less pronounced. Azrin doesn't think they have any magical value.

"I've Reduce Person and Enlarge Person both," Fortuna answers, looking away from the coin for a moment. "If you have the spell to Comprehend Languages, there are some books in foreign script I've wanted to read recently. I simply never got around to seeking the spell."

Aeryk
2016-08-31, 04:50 PM
"Mhm," Fortuna holds her hand over her eyes and when she lowers it they possess a blue glow. She looks closely at the coin for a while. "As I suspected. I've seen these before, special coins that act as luck charms, quite rare. I would be interested in purchasing one if you're willing to part with it."

River looks over to Ed for his reaction. "Oh? Where have you seen them before? And how much would you pay for it?"

If she tells River where she's seen the coins before, River will attempt to see how truthful she's being.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Archemist
2016-08-31, 05:11 PM
The silver shell retains the grooves and bumps from Botticelli's original shell, though a bit less pronounced. Azrin doesn't think they have any magical value.

"I've Reduce Person and Enlarge Person both," Fortuna answers, looking away from the coin for a moment. "If you have the spell to Comprehend Languages, there are some books in foreign script I've wanted to read recently. I simply never got around to seeking the spell."

"You're welcome to the tracings. I didn't put the silver there myself... it's a long story, but it's from the same place as the coins, I think.

"I know Enlarge Person already but perhaps Reduce would be of interest. Not that I've often needed to be smaller, but you never know. I heard somewhere about a spell that'd do both at once - make an opponent smaller, and yourself bigger. Now that'd be convenient!

"And I do know the Languages one! Ed here taught it to me recently, and probably he could make you a scroll if you'd rather do it that way. I don't usually write my stuff down since Botticelli reminds me if I forget how something works."

Edited to add:Azrin's been curious about the spell Steal Size. Also, Fortuna seems not to be a Witch so the Familiar Teaching Familiar thing probably wouldn't work... and Azrin doesn't have Scribe Scroll, of course. :smallsmile:

H. Von Studley
2016-08-31, 05:26 PM
Edmund glances over in interest at Fortuna's reaction to the silver coins, then walks back over to the counter as Azrin discusses sharing spells.

"I don't have the time to pen another Comprehend Languages scroll now, but I could cast it and take a quick glance at those books for you if you like. What are they about?

RandomWombat
2016-09-01, 06:24 PM
Edmund glances over in interest at Fortuna's reaction to the silver coins, then walks back over to the counter as Azrin discusses sharing spells.

"I don't have the time to pen another Comprehend Languages scroll now, but I could cast it and take a quick glance at those books for you if you like. What are they about?

"An elven murder mystery," Fortuna replies, pacing over to some of the shelves so that she can realign the things that have been moved around.

"You're welcome to the tracings. I didn't put the silver there myself... it's a long story, but it's from the same place as the coins, I think.

"I know Enlarge Person already but perhaps Reduce would be of interest. Not that I've often needed to be smaller, but you never know. I heard somewhere about a spell that'd do both at once - make an opponent smaller, and yourself bigger. Now that'd be convenient!

"And I do know the Languages one! Ed here taught it to me recently, and probably he could make you a scroll if you'd rather do it that way. I don't usually write my stuff down since Botticelli reminds me if I forget how something works."

Edited to add:Azrin's been curious about the spell Steal Size. Also, Fortuna seems not to be a Witch so the Familiar Teaching Familiar thing probably wouldn't work... and Azrin doesn't have Scribe Scroll, of course. :smallsmile:

"A scroll won't be necessary, really. Business is slow today, so it's no bother at all if Botticelli and Grommit spend some time communing on the magic."

River looks over to Ed for his reaction. "Oh? Where have you seen them before? And how much would you pay for it?"

If she tells River where she's seen the coins before, River will attempt to see how truthful she's being.
Sense Motive: 18

"Oh, I read about them in a text written by a scholar from Aigodon, so I looked around. I found one old lady who had one, but she declined all of my offers. How would 1200 gold do?"

River gets the sense that her statement is partially true.

brandnewb
2016-09-01, 07:13 PM
Olivin was about to head into the shop after his friends when he noticed the group walking down the street. Instead he walks up to a stand selling and assortment of cheap foodstuffs and picks of a loaf of bread. "Ill give you 1cp for this." He orients himself so that he can see the group walk down the street while he barters. "It looks a little stale, but Ill help do you the favor of taking it off your hands." The bread is quite obviously not stale, but Olivin is starting the traditional approach he knows from back home. Outrageous statements about being ripped off, even though both parties know about how much the bread is worth. And also about how much they are going to end up agreeing on.

I missed that a new thread had started.

Archemist
2016-09-01, 08:18 PM
"A scroll won't be necessary, really. Business is slow today, so it's no bother at all if Botticelli and Grommit spend some time communing on the magic."

I guess she IS a witch! Burn her! Burn her! :smallwink:

Unless Azrin is getting some strong "No" vibes from his Captain, he'll probably just go ahead and try to make a deal with Fortuna for the spell. I'll try to convince her to teach hers first, so if we get interrupted or you want to arrest her before I teach her Comprehend Languages, you can just do that instead. Azrin wouldn't want to be known for cheating a fellow merchant, but if they were an evil kidnapper who got imprisoned, well, then, it's not like she'll be in business much longer anyhow.

Azrin addresses his turtle and speaks to him in their shared turtle-language.
"What's your sense of Grommit? Would you be willing to share Comprehend Languages with the lizard in exchange for something else? I trust you to say no if you think he's evil."

To Fortuna, he says, "Oh, perfect. That'll take less time, anyhow. I'm not sure I'm sold on the reducing spell, though." He drops his voice again to almost a whisper, and leans in: "What about spells that might make my enemies weaker, or sick, or blind? Do you know any of those?"

H. Von Studley
2016-09-01, 08:52 PM
Edmund grunts non-commitally and turns back to browsing.

Nah, no strong 'no' vibes from Ed. He's trying to play it cool.

Sense Motive regarding her description of the book:

[roll0]

Most likely she's telling the truth, but doesn't hurt to be sure.

After a moment a thought strikes Ed, and he turns around to Fortuna with renewed interest. There is almost hunger in his eyes as he fires off questions.

"Do you have any divine scrolls? High level healing magic? Something more powerful than the average healer around here could cast? Something that might help treat an old injury?"

Aeryk
2016-09-02, 10:41 AM
"Oh, I read about them in a text written by a scholar from Aigodon, so I looked around. I found one old lady who had one, but she declined all of my offers. How would 1200 gold do?"

River gets the sense that her statement is partially true.

River furrows his brow, thinking it over, "Ah, I was just curious. I think I'll pass though, thanks for the offer ma'am. Do you happen to have that text around? I might like to purchase it if you do, or at least take a look if you don't mind. And is this old lady someone in town?"

RandomWombat
2016-09-03, 02:49 PM
I guess she IS a witch! Burn her! Burn her! :smallwink:

Unless Azrin is getting some strong "No" vibes from his Captain, he'll probably just go ahead and try to make a deal with Fortuna for the spell. I'll try to convince her to teach hers first, so if we get interrupted or you want to arrest her before I teach her Comprehend Languages, you can just do that instead. Azrin wouldn't want to be known for cheating a fellow merchant, but if they were an evil kidnapper who got imprisoned, well, then, it's not like she'll be in business much longer anyhow.

Azrin addresses his turtle and speaks to him in their shared turtle-language.
"What's your sense of Grommit? Would you be willing to share Comprehend Languages with the lizard in exchange for something else? I trust you to say no if you think he's evil."

To Fortuna, he says, "Oh, perfect. That'll take less time, anyhow. I'm not sure I'm sold on the reducing spell, though." He drops his voice again to almost a whisper, and leans in: "What about spells that might make my enemies weaker, or sick, or blind? Do you know any of those?"

"Ray of Sickening and Mudball, if you're looking for something for self-defense," Fortuna answers. Having rearranged the things on the shelves, she returns to the counter.

Botticelli can attempt a DC 20 Sense Motive check to get a hunch about Grommit.

Edmund grunts non-commitally and turns back to browsing.

Nah, no strong 'no' vibes from Ed. He's trying to play it cool.

Sense Motive regarding her description of the book:

[roll0]

Most likely she's telling the truth, but doesn't hurt to be sure.

After a moment a thought strikes Ed, and he turns around to Fortuna with renewed interest. There is almost hunger in his eyes as he fires off questions.

"Do you have any divine scrolls? High level healing magic? Something more powerful than the average healer around here could cast? Something that might help treat an old injury?"

"I'm afraid most of the scrolls here are self-made. I do have ones that contain basic healing spells, but nothing so potent. I could inquire with colleagues and acquaintances, see about special ordering one?" she offers.

Edmund doesn't get the sense that she's lying about the book.

River furrows his brow, thinking it over, "Ah, I was just curious. I think I'll pass though, thanks for the offer ma'am. Do you happen to have that text around? I might like to purchase it if you do, or at least take a look if you don't mind. And is this old lady someone in town?"

"'Twas in the library here in the city. I returned it some time ago, if you're interested you should inquire with the librarian," she twirls her hair a bit in thought, "I haven't seen that old lady since. She might have just been passing through?"

Olivin was about to head into the shop after his friends when he noticed the group walking down the street. Instead he walks up to a stand selling and assortment of cheap foodstuffs and picks of a loaf of bread. "Ill give you 1cp for this." He orients himself so that he can see the group walk down the street while he barters. "It looks a little stale, but Ill help do you the favor of taking it off your hands." The bread is quite obviously not stale, but Olivin is starting the traditional approach he knows from back home. Outrageous statements about being ripped off, even though both parties know about how much the bread is worth. And also about how much they are going to end up agreeing on.

I missed that a new thread had started.

Meanwhile, outside...

The food stall's owner looks insulted. "Stale? I made this fresh today," the man insists. "Two coppers, standard price. If you're too cheap or too poor to pony up one extra copper perhaps you should try your hand at begging." The man rants in a huff.

One of the thuggish men looks over at the commotion, and the stall owner hushes up. The merchant points at the bread. "Buy it or put it back. Stop making a scene."

The thugs move on, and stop outside of the scroll shop. Two of them stop outside and stand on either side of the entrance, while one opens the door to enter.

Inside, there is a ringing from the bell above the door, and a rough-looking man in dark clothes marches in. He's carrying a club and a dagger on his belt, and has a few scars on his face. He walks over to one of the shelves and peruses the scrolls, paying no mind to the other customers.

Aeryk
2016-09-03, 06:25 PM
"'Twas in the library here in the city. I returned it some time ago, if you're interested you should inquire with the librarian," she twirls her hair a bit in thought, "I haven't seen that old lady since. She might have just been passing through?"

River nods thoughtfully, then replies, "I'll try the library then, thank you."

Meanwhile, outside...
The thugs move on, and stop outside of the scroll shop. Two of them stop outside and stand on either side of the entrance, while one opens the door to enter.

Inside, there is a ringing from the bell above the door, and a rough-looking man in dark clothes marches in. He's carrying a club and a dagger on his belt, and has a few scars on his face. He walks over to one of the shelves and peruses the scrolls, paying no mind to the other customers.

Are the 2 guys outside visible from inside either when the guys walk in, or from a window? If so, I will make an addition to my post.

River regards the new customer, and goes back to perusing the shelves himself, moving into a position within the store where he has a clear view of everything, including the exits. He keeps an eye on the armed man suspiciously, much as he would anyone else he doesn't know. A life on the streets has made him wary.

Archemist
2016-09-03, 06:35 PM
"Ray of Sickening and Mudball, if you're looking for something for self-defense," Fortuna answers. Having rearranged the things on the shelves, she returns to the counter.

Botticelli can attempt a DC 20 Sense Motive check to get a hunch about Grommit.

[roll0] He's got good Perception but neither he nor Azrin have ranks in Sense Motive. Azrin will try to aid him, though, if that's ok: [roll1], trying for another +2 on the above.

Edited to add: Yep, I think he's gonna play this one clueless.

Azrin says, "Mudball? Is that the blinding one? Sounds great! So that's a deal, then? We'll give Botticelli and Grommit a little while to chat, that'll be, what, two hours? I've got nothing pressing. Perhaps I'll do a little prestidigitation to pass the time."

Azrin summons up some small wooden horses and chariots that begin to race each other around in an oval on the opposite end of the counter from the familiars.

H. Von Studley
2016-09-03, 08:17 PM
Edmund nods eagerly. "Please do. I would gladly buy it from you. Who did you have in mind to ask?"

He half turns to see the man come in the door, then deliberately turns away, back to Fortuna at the counter. River's watching my back. Better not to seem too wary and risk giving the game away.

brandnewb
2016-09-03, 10:37 PM
Olivin looks at the man then at the bread. "Beggar? Pah I just refused to be taken advantage of. I want to buy some food, not donate to your bank account. There are a half dozen merchants within a stones throw of here that will sell me bread actually made today. Ill tell you what, How about 3cp for two?" Olivin pulls out 3cp as if the deal is already done. While he is fiddling with his purse he loosens the whip at his belt. To make it smoother to grab. He keeps a eye on the two fellows who have set up outside the shop.

RandomWombat
2016-09-05, 12:23 AM
River nods thoughtfully, then replies, "I'll try the library then, thank you."

Are the 2 guys outside visible from inside either when the guys walk in, or from a window? If so, I will make an addition to my post.

River regards the new customer, and goes back to perusing the shelves himself, moving into a position within the store where he has a clear view of everything, including the exits. He keeps an eye on the armed man suspiciously, much as he would anyone else he doesn't know. A life on the streets has made him wary.

The two outside are visible through the windows, yes. The windows are large enough to have a clear view of the street.

Azrin says, "Mudball? Is that the blinding one? Sounds great! So that's a deal, then? We'll give Botticelli and Grommit a little while to chat, that'll be, what, two hours? I've got nothing pressing. Perhaps I'll do a little prestidigitation to pass the time."

Azrin summons up some small wooden horses and chariots that begin to race each other around in an oval on the opposite end of the counter from the familiars.

"Should keep me busy until it's time to close for the night," the woman smirks at the tiny chariot race on the counter. "Didn't prepare it today, I'm afraid. It would make dusting so much faster, but then, there's a charm to having doors open and close for you with a gesture too, and the dusting makes good busywork."

Grommit and Botticelli commune, beginning with the teaching of the Mudball spell.

Edmund nods eagerly. "Please do. I would gladly buy it from you. Who did you have in mind to ask?"

He half turns to see the man come in the door, then deliberately turns away, back to Fortuna at the counter. River's watching my back. Better not to seem too wary and risk giving the game away.

"I'm not actually familiar with anyone with that level of magic, so I have to check with people I know about where to find one. There's the Emperor of course, Silver Dragons are naturally capable of casting potent healing spells once they get to around his age. Not sure how one would broach the subject with him though..."

Fortuna pauses to address the new arrival, "Just let me know if you need anything." Her eyes longer on him for a moment, before returning to Azrin's toy horses.

Olivin looks at the man then at the bread. "Beggar? Pah I just refused to be taken advantage of. I want to buy some food, not donate to your bank account. There are a half dozen merchants within a stones throw of here that will sell me bread actually made today. Ill tell you what, How about 3cp for two?" Olivin pulls out 3cp as if the deal is already done. While he is fiddling with his purse he loosens the whip at his belt. To make it smoother to grab. He keeps a eye on the two fellows who have set up outside the shop.

"If you did not see fit to insult my cooking, I might consider it," he stops when he sees Olivin loosening his whip and takes it as a threat, narrowing his eyes with a scowl. "Put the bread back and be on your way, highwayman. You're barking in the wrong neighborhood."

H. Von Studley
2016-09-05, 05:59 AM
"I'm not actually familiar with anyone with that level of magic, so I have to check with people I know about where to find one. There's the Emperor of course, Silver Dragons are naturally capable of casting potent healing spells once they get to around his age. Not sure how one would broach the subject with him though..."

Edmund nods nonchalantly and turns away to look at a scroll, trying to disguise the thrill of excitement that coursed through him. The Emperor could heal his leg! He had known that dragons had strange and wonderful powers, but he had never considered that the Emperor might have the very spell to make him whole again. Better still, they would travel to Aigodon to meet with him in mere days.

Ed draws a long breath through his nose, forcing himself to be calm. His hand slips down unconsciously to grip his aching leg. It could not be that easy. The Emperor would be busy with the crises that faced them. It would be impossible to find him alone. Harder still to ask a personal favour of a 1000 year-old dragon Emperor. Not to mention the fact that asking for help would mean admitting to the injury he had disguised in the first place. For all he knew the Emperor would throw him from the navy rather than heal his leg.

Ed shakes his head slightly, forcing himself to focus on the task at hand. They had work to do. He could worry about old injuries later. Claudia should be done any minute. And this newcomer didn't look like he had any business being in a scroll shop.

brandnewb
2016-09-05, 07:23 AM
"Highwayman!?! Now your insulting me. A fellow just wants to buy some bread and he is accused of being a criminal." Olivin is a little peeved at this point. "And what do you mean by This Neighborhood? Are you referring to the three thugs who just showed up outside that shop? His final question about the thugs is said in a lower voice so just the shopkeeper can hear. "Is there some criminal group targeting the shops around here with extortion? I saw the thugs set up outside that shop and I wondered if something was up. I guess I adjusted my whip out of instinct"

Aeryk
2016-09-05, 10:20 AM
River watches Fortuna's expression carefully as she greets the new 'customer' to see if there is any hint of recognition.
Perception for that check?
1d20+11

Edit: See OOC for re-roll. Didn't work here.

River spies the 2 thugs outside the shop and the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He takes a deep breath to control his adrenaline as he primes for a fight. He leans in toward one of the display cases as though interested in its contents, and gives it a light push, knocking it over.

As everyone looks at the mess, River quickly makes eye contact with Ed, giving a light nod to the guys outside, then exclaims, "Oh, my apologies ma'am!",then bends over to gather up shards of broken glass, "Please, let me clean this up for you." River keeps his head up enough to maintain good peripheral vision, getting ready to throw a handful of glass into the face of the other thug in the shop if he comes near.

Readying a 'dirty trick (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Dirty-Trick)' combat maneuver to blind the guy if he comes close enough to River.

RandomWombat
2016-09-05, 03:25 PM
"Highwayman!?! Now your insulting me. A fellow just wants to buy some bread and he is accused of being a criminal." Olivin is a little peeved at this point. "And what do you mean by This Neighborhood? Are you referring to the three thugs who just showed up outside that shop? His final question about the thugs is said in a lower voice so just the shopkeeper can hear. "Is there some criminal group targeting the shops around here with extortion? I saw the thugs set up outside that shop and I wondered if something was up. I guess I adjusted my whip out of instinct"

The man still looks furious, and crosses his arms. "I don't have anything more to say to you. And if you try to take that bread with you, I will be informing the guards."

One of the thugs is watching their exchange, but hasn't moved from his post yet.

River watches Fortuna's expression carefully as she greets the new 'customer' to see if there is any hint of recognition.
Perception for that check?
[roll0]

Edit: See OOC for re-roll. Didn't work here.

River spies the 2 thugs outside the shop and the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He takes a deep breath to control his adrenaline as he primes for a fight. He leans in toward one of the display cases as though interested in its contents, and gives it a light push, knocking it over.

As everyone looks at the mess, River quickly makes eye contact with Ed, giving a light nod to the guys outside, then exclaims, "Oh, my apologies ma'am!",then bends over to gather up shards of broken glass, "Please, let me clean this up for you." River keeps his head up enough to maintain good peripheral vision, getting ready to throw a handful of glass into the face of the other thug in the shop if he comes near.

Readying a 'dirty trick (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Dirty-Trick)' combat maneuver to blind the guy if he comes close enough to River.

River follows Fortuna's gaze and sees the thug making some kind of hand signal. He seems to be passing her a message.

"Whoa!" Fortuna steps towards the display case to try and catch it, but is too slow, and it smashes on the ground. The scroll inside flutters out. "What are you doing? Ugh, just let me do it. I need to go get a broom." She frowns and scolds River, then turns towards the door deeper into the building.

The thug walks over to the counter and waits in line behind Azrin, crossing his arms and standing casually. He glances at the broken glass with indifference.

Aeryk
2016-09-05, 04:48 PM
River figures the gig is up, and Fortuna is heading in to catch Claudia. I must have been spotted by the thugs. He remembers the agreed upon signal to warn Claudia, and allows himself to cut his finger, crying out in pain loud enough to be heard upstairs.

brandnewb
2016-09-05, 05:35 PM
"I don't want your stale bread anyhow." he tosses it onto the stand with the other bread. "Have a good day." He turns and looks around the square for a stand selling bread or similar cheap foodstuff elsewhere in market. He will far enough from the thugs that they wont here him talk. But close enough he can get to the door in a hurry. Olivin goes over to the stand and smiles, "Hello, how much for some bread friend? And maybe one of those fruit right there."

Archemist
2016-09-05, 06:44 PM
Azrin calls after Fortuna, "No need, Madam! You may not usually use magic for your cleaning, but allow me, this time, to make up for my oafish friend here." He glares at River's clumsiness. "No need to make a scene, my friend!"

Azrin redirects his prestidigitation and the glass slowly begins picking itself up off the floor.

H. Von Studley
2016-09-05, 07:08 PM
Edmund catches River's glance and follows his gaze to the men standing outside. His eyes widen slightly before he turns back to Fortuna, searching for something to say to keep her in the room. Relief floods through him as Azrin interjects and begins cleaning the glass. Good thing we brought Azrin. That was quick thinking.

He speaks quickly before she can exit.

"Mr Bluestone is right, please, allow us. I apologise for my clumsy companion. Do not fear, he will be reprimanded.

"There was something else I wanted to ask actually, while I'm here. I have a mind to sell a few powerful magic items that I have acquired. Are you at all interested? Or are there other Stalling merchants to whom you might direct me?"

RandomWombat
2016-09-05, 10:11 PM
River figures the gig is up, and Fortuna is heading in to catch Claudia. I must have been spotted by the thugs. He remembers the agreed upon signal to warn Claudia, and allows himself to cut his finger, crying out in pain loud enough to be heard upstairs.

Fortuna stops to look over, but there is otherwise no active response to River's outcry. Hopefully Claudia heard.

Azrin calls after Fortuna, "No need, Madam! You may not usually use magic for your cleaning, but allow me, this time, to make up for my oafish friend here." He glares at River's clumsiness. "No need to make a scene, my friend!"

Azrin redirects his prestidigitation and the glass slowly begins picking itself up off the floor.

She takes her hand off of the doorknob and sighs. She seems to be getting a bit exasperated. "Very well. Thank you."

Edmund catches River's glance and follows his gaze to the men standing outside. His eyes widen slightly before he turns back to Fortuna, searching for something to say to keep her in the room. Relief floods through him as Azrin interjects and begins cleaning the glass. Good thing we brought Azrin. That was quick thinking.

He speaks quickly before she can exit.

"Mr Bluestone is right, please, allow us. I apologise for my clumsy companion. Do not fear, he will be reprimanded.

"There was something else I wanted to ask actually, while I'm here. I have a mind to sell a few powerful magic items that I have acquired. Are you at all interested? Or are there other Stalling merchants to whom you might direct me?"

"I usually don't do pawning, but it depends what you're offering."

The situation has cooled down for now. Fortuna returns to the counter and the thug addresses her, "I'll get tha' Summon Monster scroll over there, in the case."

"That'll be twenty-five golds, sir. Is that all?" Fortuna asks, going around the counter to where the thug was to retrieve the asked-for scroll.

"Yeah, nothin' else. I only brought platinums, you got change?"

"Of course," Fortuna fiddles a bit with the case's latch as it sticks, grumbling in frustration.

"I don't want your stale bread anyhow." he tosses it onto the stand with the other bread. "Have a good day." He turns and looks around the square for a stand selling bread or similar cheap foodstuff elsewhere in market. He will far enough from the thugs that they wont here him talk. But close enough he can get to the door in a hurry. Olivin goes over to the stand and smiles, "Hello, how much for some bread friend? And maybe one of those fruit right there."

This stall is run by an elderly woman with heavy wrinkles and scraggly grey hair. "I heard your scene over there, kiddo. Don't think you can haggle with me," she yowls, wagging a finger at Olivin. "The bread has nuts in it. Three coppers. One for the apple."

H. Von Studley
2016-09-06, 06:45 AM
Ed lets out a held breath as Fortuna steps back into the room. "A dagger, powered by blood and dark magic, and a mace with that explodes enemies with bursts of fire. Strong magic, both of them. Stronger than I've seen before."

Aeryk
2016-09-06, 11:55 AM
River also breathes a sigh of relief, then says to Fortuna, "Can I pay you for your display case ma'am?" as he approaches the counter as well, staying behind the thug. Suspecting that all is not well, River tries to hear if her grumbling is actually the passing of some message. He stays tensed up, ready for the thug to try and pull a fast one on them.

Perception to make out the grumbling: [roll0]

Keeping a readied action to attack the thug first if he attempts to attack.

brandnewb
2016-09-06, 04:04 PM
Four Copper, that seems pretty steep for some bread and an apple. On the other hand..." Olivin slides 3 copper and a gold piece onto the table. As if it was the price agreed upon. "Maybe you could give me some information along with the food. The other merchant seemed pretty uncomfortable around the thugs over there. Who are they? What is going on? Are they extorting money from you merchants?"

RandomWombat
2016-09-06, 08:06 PM
Four Copper, that seems pretty steep for some bread and an apple. On the other hand..." Olivin slides 3 copper and a gold piece onto the table. As if it was the price agreed upon. "Maybe you could give me some information along with the food. The other merchant seemed pretty uncomfortable around the thugs over there. Who are they? What is going on? Are they extorting money from you merchants?"

The woman quietly scoops up the coins, and glances at the thugs out of the corner of her eye. They seem to have lost interest, so she nods subtly. She silently traces her finger on the counter before her, making the shape of an upside-down pentagram.

Ed lets out a held breath as Fortuna steps back into the room. "A dagger, powered by blood and dark magic, and a mace with that explodes enemies with bursts of fire. Strong magic, both of them. Stronger than I've seen before."

There is no response to Edmund's question, and things rapidly erupt into chaos.

River also breathes a sigh of relief, then says to Fortuna, "Can I pay you for your display case ma'am?" as he approaches the counter as well, staying behind the thug. Suspecting that all is not well, River tries to hear if her grumbling is actually the passing of some message. He stays tensed up, ready for the thug to try and pull a fast one on them.

Perception to make out the grumbling: [roll0]

Keeping a readied action to attack the thug first if he attempts to attack.

Drawing his club, the thug spins around on River, only to find the monk ready for him. Even as River's fist collides with the air next to the thug's head, he overhears what sounds like a foreign tongue. His speculation is interrupted by a club to the cranium that leaves his world full of spinning stars.

There is a flash of red light and the smell of brimstone briefly wafts into the store, followed by demented cackling. Azrin finds himself next to a hyena with bristling black fur and jagged red markings. The beast salivates as it lunges for the gnome's legs, but in his panic Azrin kicks the thing in the snout, knocking its vicious teeth away.

River's readied attack misses the Thug.

Thug cracks River over the head, critically hitting for 14 damage.
Fortuna summons a clearly unnatural hyena. It attacks Azrin, but rolls a 1.

Combat has initiated, and everyone may roll Initiative.

There is the sound of a ruckus from the interior of the store and a demented cackling. The merchants nearby quickly begin packing away their essentials to go hide as the thugs outside draw their clubs. Olivin may also roll Initiative.

Grommit bares his teeth at Botticelli in a grim grin. Botticelli may roll Initiative for the fabled, the prophesied

Familiar Fight

brandnewb
2016-09-06, 08:39 PM
Intitiative [roll0]

Olivin stares at the table, trying to discern what the women is drawing on the surface. He figures it out about when the chaos starts in the store. Subsequently he is not fast to respond as he would like. The moment he is able Olivin rushes to the door of the shop, whip flashing into his hand as he runs. He charges and as soon as he gets in range of the trailing thug he lashes out with his whip in an attempt to trip him.

Trip attempt with charge bonus. If he was not fast enough to keep a straight line for the charge take 2 off the roll. Since he loses the charge bonus. [roll1]

Archemist
2016-09-06, 09:21 PM
There is a flash of red light and the smell of brimstone briefly wafts into the store, followed by demented cackling. Azrin finds himself next to a hyena with bristling black fur and jagged red markings. The beast salivates as it lunges for the gnome's legs, but in his panic Azrin kicks the thing in the snout, knocking its vicious teeth away.

Grommit bares his teeth at Botticelli in a grim grin. Botticelli may roll Initiative for the fabled, the prophesied

Familiar Fight

Botticelli snaps a warning at Grommit.

Azrin is definitely surprised by the hyena, but he calls out to Fortuna, "Oh, it is ON, witch!"

RandomWombat
2016-09-08, 05:47 PM
Party - 15
Enemy - 6

After the surprise round, the party acts. Here is the map (https://s21.postimg.io/w1e3pk253/Shopbattle1.png) before Olivin takes his turn.

Aeryk
2016-09-08, 07:22 PM
River grunts in pain as the man moves faster than he expected, clocking him in the head. He blinks the stars away, and a good dose of uncharacteristic anger floods him along with the adrenaline. He unleashes the full might of his fists in a blur of motion.

Flurry of Blows, using a point of ki for an extra blow
Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]
Elemental Fist: [roll2] Cold damage

Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage 2: [roll4]

Attack 3: [roll5]
Damage 3: [roll6]

Edit: well that was underwhelming...

River (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=969183)

Lawful Neutral Human Monk (ECL 5)

HP 29/43, Initiative +5, Speed 40, BAB +3.
AC 18, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +6, CMD 19
Fort+6, Ref+8, Will+7

Unarmed Strike +7 (1d8+3)
Flurry of Blows +7/+7 (1d8+3)
Shuriken +6 or +5/+5, FoB (1d2+3)

Effects: None

Abilities: STR 16, DEX 16, CON 15 (-1), INT 7, WIS 16, CHA 7

Special Abilities:
Elemental Fist: 2d6 (+3 if cold) 5/6
Ki Pool: 5/6

Archemist
2016-09-08, 09:04 PM
Azrin waves his hand slowly in front of the hyena, lowering it to the floor slowly. Its head will follow the motion...

... and the hyena should make a DC15 Will save vs. the Slumber hex (hexes don't provoke AoOs, also).

If it works, Azrin will draw his musket, too, as his move-action this round.

And now, as everyone turns to watch rapt in wonder, BOTTICELLI, the beloved champion of turtles everywhere, Hero of the Silver Dimension and Keeper of Elemental Secrets, takes a slow step towards his vile lizard foe.

He snaps, and his eyes glint with a steely silver strength.

Melee attack: [roll0] for the minimum: 1 damage.

Then, Botticelli withdraws, in anticipation of Grommit's riposte. The turtle retreats into his silvery shell and awaits an opportune moment to strike again.

He uses Shell Retreat, for +2 AC (net 22 this round, I think).

H. Von Studley
2016-09-08, 09:39 PM
Edmund is caught off-guard as the thug attacks. Recovering quickly, he takes advantage of the man's distraction. As River unleashes a brutal attack, Ed ducks behind, whipping his glaive from his back and slicing horizontally, aiming to cut the thug down at the knees.

Ed moves to flank the thug with River while drawing his glaive. Then power attack with Ferocious Strike.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Edmund Grimace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=427252)

Chaotic Good Human Fighter/Cleric (ECL 5)

HP 46/46, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 4.
AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +8, CMD 20
Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Masterwork Glaive +9 (1d10+6)
Throwing Axe +8 (Melee) +6 (Thrown) (1d6+4)
+1 Orcsbane Warhammer +9(+11) (1d8+7(+2d6+2))
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Effects Defending Bone DR 5/Bludgeoning (25/25) 5 hour duration - cast prior to entering temple

Spells (CL5): (L1) 3/4, (L2) 2/3
(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Maneuvers (IL3):
Encouraging Roar

Abilities: STR 18, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 10

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 3/3, Ferocious Strike 4/5, Touch of Glory 2/5.

RandomWombat
2016-09-08, 11:01 PM
Outside, Olivin charges forward, whipping out his whip and lashing it around the legs of the thug about to open the door. The thug grunts and stands up, only to find Olivin's whip around his arm as he uses it to balance himself. He is tugged back to the ground. His buddy rushes Olivin with a club, but stumbles over some broken cobblestone. Thank goodness the government can't even fix roads!

Inside, River punches the man in the gut and sends a deep chill through his body, but the foe recovers well and ducks around River's follow-ups. This keeps him occupied for Edmund however, who slices across the back of the man's legs in one fell swoop. Shouting in pain, the man collapses to the floor, bleeding.

Azrin waves his hand in front of the Hyena, and the beast wastes no time in biting said hand and using it to drag Azrin to the ground, in an eerie mirror of the scene outside. The beast's teeth burn on a level beyond mere physical pain, as though its fangs are sending some sort of wrongness shooting up Azrin's arm. Things quickly become rather sticky as strands of sticky silk shoot out of the floor and ceiling, trying to wrap themselves around the party in response to Fortuna's incantation.

On the counter nearby, Grommit scuttles out of the way of Botticelli's slow and cumbersome bite, grabbing onto the shell and trying to stick his face in to bite at one of the turtle's retracted fins. He can't quite get purchase with his teeth and backs away, watching for an opening.

Olivin charges and trips Thug 2, knocking him prone.
River strikes Thug 1, dealing 10 damage total.
Edmund flank attacks Thug 1, dealing 24 damage and knocking him into negatives.
Azrin attempts a Slumber Hex, but the Hyena critpasses its save.
Botticelli snaps menacingly(?) at Grommit.

Thug 1 bleeds.
Thug 2 stands, but Olivin makes an AoO and (I assume, correct me if wrong) trips him again with ease.
Thug 3 attacks Olivin with his club, but misses with a 1.
Hyena activates Smite Good and bites Azrin for 11 damage. Azrin is tripped and knocked prone.
Fortuna casts a familiar spell, Web. The party is ensnared in her net and must pass a DC 14 Reflex save to avoid becoming stuck.
Grommit pokes at Botticelli ineffectually.

Here is the new map (https://s21.postimg.io/nudlzd9sn/Shopbattle1.png), and it is the party's turn. I've decided to use like-colored lines under characters to denote the Prone condition. The brown circle is the Web.

Archemist
2016-09-08, 11:31 PM
Azrin waves his hand in front of the Hyena, and the beast wastes no time in biting said hand and using it to drag Azrin to the ground, in an eerie mirror of the scene outside. The beast's teeth burn on a level beyond mere physical pain, as though its fangs are sending some sort of wrongness shooting up Azrin's arm. Things quickly become rather sticky as strands of sticky silk shoot out of the floor and ceiling, trying to wrap themselves around the party in response to Fortuna's incantation.

On the counter nearby, Grommit scuttles out of the way of Botticelli's slow and cumbersome bite, grabbing onto the shell and trying to stick his face in to bite at one of the turtle's retracted fins. He can't quite get purchase with his teeth and backs away, watching for an opening.

Azrin attempts a Slumber Hex, but the Hyena critpasses its save.
Botticelli snaps menacingly(?) at Grommit.

Hyena activates Smite Good and bites Azrin for 11 damage. Azrin is tripped and knocked prone.
Fortuna casts a familiar spell, Web. The party is ensnared in her net and must pass a DC 14 Reflex save to avoid becoming stuck.
Grommit pokes at Botticelli ineffectually.

[roll0]. Will edit this based on whether I'm grappled.

Azrin recognizes the Web spell coming and he rolls over just in time to avoid a strand sticking itself to the floor right over him. He doesn't need to be standing to fight, though.

Azrin crawls behind River carefully and then summons a flaming ball of fire. "Hah!" He cackles a little as it rolls through the webbing and bounces straight at Fortuna's head.

Wrangling it so that ideally the sphere appears in front of River and creates a path through the web from him to Fortuna. I get that he may be a bit stuck, but at least he won't have to wade through the whole thing to get to her. She should roll a DC15 Reflex save or take 3d6 fire damage.

EDITED TO ADD: NEVERMIND. Azrin crawls behind River, immediately gets stuck in the Web after all, tries to cast Flaming Sphere, but it fizzles due to him being stuck.

Archemist
2016-09-08, 11:56 PM
BOTTICELLI laughs (as only a turtle can laugh) at Grommit's feeble poke. He senses his time has come, and snaps again at Grommit. Quickly, as a practiced tactician would, he withdraws into his shell again.

Attack: [roll0] for 1 damage. Then Shell Retreat again. :smallbiggrin:

H. Von Studley
2016-09-09, 12:22 AM
Ed tries to dodge to the side as the sticky tendrils reach toward him, but is a fraction too slow. He curses, twisting back and forth from the waist to break free and escape the webs.

CMB as a standard to remove the grappled condition:

CMB: [roll0]

Despite his struggles the stretchy webs refuse to budge. Frustrated, and fearing an attack from range, he pulls his shield from his back to protect himself.

Failed the CMB, so Ed wastes his standard and is properly stuck. Using the leftover move action to draw his shield. Ed now holds his glaive one-handed in his right, so he no longer threatens with it.

AC is currently 16 (-2 for grappled, +2 for shield).

Aeryk
2016-09-09, 09:24 AM
River attempts to avoid getting stuck by the web, but fails and instead begins peeling the sticky mess of himself to wade out of it. He steps toward the counter beside Boticelli, finding himself face-to-face with the hyena.

brandnewb
2016-09-09, 09:15 PM
Olivin uses his AoO to trip the other thug again. [roll0] He will continue using his AoO to trip the thug and keep him out of the fight.

And he attacks the thug who has attacked him with the club. Attempting to kill the man. [roll1] Damage [roll2]

I have added my freedom fighter trait to these rolls. +1 to attack and damage against anyone holding someone against their will.

RandomWombat
2016-09-10, 03:33 PM
1 - Party
2 - Asmodeans
3 - Calistrians
4 - Stalling Guard
5 - Elderly Woman

Azrin rolls away from the hyena as the beast nips at his heels. The webs wrap up around him as he moves however, and he soon finds himself inside of a sticky cocoon-burrito. Before it can pursue its prey, River pulls himself away from the webs and steps in to help. Edmund struggles against the webs, but the more he struggles the tighter they seem to pull themselves around him, trapping him in place. He manages to pry his shield up to protect himself from an attack that never comes, as Fortuna bolts out the door. Snarling at River for getting in between it and its meal, the hyena lunges at him. River sidesteps the lunge with ease.

Botticelli nips at Grommit's leg, but the lizard pulls away before the turtle's beak can piece his scales. Tucking his head beneath Botticelli's shell, the lizard uses its crest for leverage and flips the turtle over onto his back.

Outside, The fallen thug attempts to stand, only for Olivin to pull his feet out from under him. Furious, the man kips up to his feet once more with a grunt. His buddy soon winds up with Olivin's whip wrapped around his neck and tightening; he struggles for a second before getting the whip loose, leaving a slight bruise around his airway. He takes a swing and clubs Olivin in the gut. Soon after, Fortuna slams through the door and makes a break for it down the street. "Guards!" she screams, "Robbers! Help! They're summoning demons in my store"

From the alleys on either side of the building, Claudia and Huemes emerge. Huemes charges out swinging with his sword, attacking Fortuna as she tries to run away. Even as he barely clips her with his two-handed sword, a guard who was on patrol comes running to assist. "Fear not fair maiden!" Hindrick calls out, drawing his sword and clumsily stabbing at Huemes. He nearly drops his weapon in the process.

"What are you doing, Hindrick?! Ma'am, what's - you there, drop the weapon!" another guard alongside Hindrick draws his weapon and brandishes it at Huemes, demanding he stand down.

"My store's hired guards are the ones in matching black uniforms - please, help them!" Fortuna calls out.

"Damn thugs all over, and their gang wars! What's this neighborhood coming to?!" shouts the old lady at her stand, who has refused to leave. "Kill 'em all and be done with it I say!" She returns to cleaning her food stand.

"Ma'am, drop your weapons," one of the two guards coming in from near the old woman's stand commands Claudia, who glances over dismissively.

Azrin crawls 5 feet through the difficult terrain of the web. The Hyena makes an AoO, hitting for 13 damage.
River breaks free and moves out of the webs.
Edmund remains stuck.
Olivin lashes Thug 3 for 11 damage.
Botticelli misses his attack.

Thug 1 bleeds.
Thug 2 attempts to stand again, but Olivin knocks him over. He spends his standard action standing yet again and looks mighty ticked off.
Thug 3 clubs Olivin for 8 damage.
Hyena bites at River, but misses.
Fortuna flees and calls for the guards.
Grommit trips Botticelli, knocking him Prone.

Claudia enters the scene from behind Olivin.
Huemes charges in to attack Fortuna, nicking her for 2 damage.

Hindrick enters initiative. He charge attacks Huemes, but misses with a 1.
Stalling Guards 1 through 3 enter the scene from both sides of the street, following the sound of fighting.

Old Lady shouts and wipes down some of her stand idly.

It is the party's action. The map (https://s9.postimg.io/ix8rz3m6n/Shopbattle1.png) just got a bit larger and the situation more complicated.

H. Von Studley
2016-09-10, 05:05 PM
I'm going to assume Ed can see all the drama (lol Hindrick) unfolding through the windows. If not, let me know RW and I'll revise my post.

Ed shakes his head in disbelief at the scene unfolding outside. This whole thing had come apart completely. He drops his shield in the webs and begins Messaging furiously, trying to get everyone's stories straight.

"Claudia, just put your weapons away and leave. As far as they're concerned you should just be a concerned citizen coming to help. We'll meet you later. Huemes, you saw the thugs and Fortuna jump us out of nowhere and ran to help. Everyone else, we were shopping and then they attacked us unprovoked. We only acted in self-defence. Say nothing about the Calistrians or Asmodeans."

Turning his attention back to the sticky webs, Edmund tries again to wrench himself free.

CMB: [roll0]

EDIT: As the webs finally break free around him, Ed struggles out of the area and begins running around to the door, glaive clutched in both hands.

EDIT (v2): As he runs, Ed spots the the hyena harrying Azrin. He raises his glaive over his head, exposing his chest and yells at the fiend, trying to attract its attention. "Hey, beastie! Come give me a try!"

Archemist
2016-09-10, 05:09 PM
Azrin rolls away from the hyena as the beast nips at his heels. The webs wrap up around him as he moves however, and he soon finds himself inside of a sticky cocoon-burrito.
Azrin crawls 5 feet through the difficult terrain of the web. The Hyena makes an AoO, hitting for 13 damage.

Grommit trips Botticelli, knocking him Prone.

Azrin struggles futilely and calls out "Nevermind me! Stop that woman!"

Botticelli stays in his shell.

brandnewb
2016-09-10, 05:52 PM
Olivin ignores the thugs now and charges after the women. He takes a step to the north to pass to the north of thug two. Then charges after the women attempting to trip her with his whip. "Stop that women, you can arrest all of us. Just don't let her escape!"

Trip with whip. Adding charge (+2) and freedom fighter (+1). [roll0]

Aeryk
2016-09-10, 07:31 PM
River chases after Fortuna, vaulting over the hyena, through the door, and past the thug on the other side. Olivin brings her to the ground with his whip just before he catches up, and River stands over her, fist cocked and ready to put her back down, or intercept an attack from a guard if they should feel so bold. "LIES! THIS WITCH ATTACKED US UNPROVOKED!"

Acrobatics to move through an enemy occupied square without provoking (DC = Hyena's CMD+5; failure interrupts the move action and provokes an AoO, if that happens, River spends a second move action to catch up to Fortuna anyway, ignoring the hyena)
[roll0]

Second Acrobatics check to avoid AoO from Thug 2: [roll1]

The tumbling costs double movement, but River will spend a point from his ki pool to increase his speed by 20' if he can't reach Fortuna with a normal move (which is 40'). Just let me know if that is necessary. If he makes it past the hyena without provoking, he will save his standard to use as a readied action once he gets to Fortuna. The action will be to trip anyone who moves into melee range, including if Fortuna stands up.

RandomWombat
2016-09-12, 06:28 PM
River leaps out the door, which was left hanging open.

The Hyena looks between Azrin and Edmund in a careful debate, then decides Azrin is the more appealing target. It moves in where River was before and snarls as it chomps down on the tangled gnome's leg. Just as it's about to rip open a vital artery, it phases out and passes through the leg. The hyena's form is flickering, the magic binding it to this plane nearly spent.

On the counter, Grommit closes with the upsidedown Botticelli and reaches inside of the shell again, managing to get a small bite in.

Looking at the guards again, Claudia shrugs and stows her weapons away, going over to the front of the food stand. "Just trying to help. Go ahead and take it from here, guardsmen."

Olivin side-steps around the thug menacing him and bolts forward, the wind from the club passing by his face in a near miss. His whip lunges forward and snags Fortuna's leg, yanking it out from under her.

With a springing leap, River sails over the Hyena, and blasts out of the door straight past the recovering thug. He arrives over the fallen form of Fortuna.

"You!" Hindrick exclaims, "I should have known you were behind this."

"You know these people?" the other guard asks.

"Troublemakers and vigilantes, the lot of them! We should cuff them and toss them in a cell for assaulting this poor woman!"

Huemes intercedes, "She and her thugs attacked them unprovoked!"

"Another lie," declares the incompetent guardsman, pointing into the alley Huemes came out of. "There are no windows back there. How could he have seen? He's surely in league with these miscreants!"

"That claim does sound suspect... surrender yourselves for questioning, and turn over your weapons. You two!" the second guardsman points at the two black-clad thugs. "That goes for you as well. Weapons away. We will deal with it from here. And everyone step away from this woman, now, or I will have you charged!"

Reluctantly, the two Asmodeans stow away their clubs. Huemes begins to set down his weapon, then suddenly hefts it back up and bolts away down the alley with the speed of a champion runner.

"Stop!" Hindrick takes a swing at the elf as he disengages, but hits the corner of the building instead, his sword deflecting and almost hitting himself in the arm.

"Just stay here and don't start another fight!" the more competent officer commands before taking off after Huemes. The other two guards come running down the street, coming up behind the two thugs who are standing down.

Hindrick glares at River from across the prone Fortuna. "You heard him. Stand back."

Olivin charges, evading the AoO and tripping Fortuna.
River crosses the Hyena's space and moves adjacent to Fortuna.

Thug 1 dies.
Thug 2 moves closer to the scene, stowing his club.
Thug 3 follows 2's lead.
Hyena returns to pursuing Azrin now that he's open, dealing 9 damage. It mercifully fails its crit confirm this time.
Fortuna remains prone and takes total defense.
Grommit bites Botticelli for 1 damage.

Claudia stows her weapons.
Huemes runs away.

StG1 follows after Huemes.
Hindrick misses Huemes horribly with his AoO.
StG2&3 close the distance to the scene.

Map (https://s15.postimg.io/sm7rcpkcr/Shopbattle1.png)

H. Von Studley
2016-09-12, 07:22 PM
Edmund charges forward around the edge of the webs, bearing down on the hyena as it harries Azrin. His eyes turn cold at the sight of the gnome's injuries. He heaves his glaive in a violent upward swing at the beast's midsection, aiming to throw it backwards and slice it apart.

"I said get BACK!" Something breaks inside him as he yells. A wave of ki energy flows through the final word, empowering his strike even further.

Ed moves around the webs into range of the hyena, initiates the Encouraging Roar maneuver, and power attacks with Ferocious Strike.

All allies within 30' get +2 morale bonus to attack and damage until the start of our next turn.

Including Botticelli. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Oops. Any chance Azrin or Botticelli are offering flanking? :smalltongue:

Aeryk
2016-09-12, 07:55 PM
River scowls at Hindrick, staring the man down as he tries to discern whether the man might be trying to help Fortuna, or if he's just power tripping. Either way, he's not happy about it. He wipes a trickle of blood from his forehead and paces away from Fortuna, down the alley 10 feet such that he is afforded a good view of the street, and he doesn't have to worry about the thugs smashing him in the head again.

Moving to the space 10' south of Fortuna's position.

Sense Motive on Hindrick to see if there's more between him and Fortuna than might be obvious: [roll0] Edit: pfff

Readying an action to strike Fortuna if she attempts any aggressive action toward himself. This is with Elemental Fist (cold) with the Marid Style feat which increases his reach by 5' if using cold.

Archemist
2016-09-12, 08:29 PM
Azrin flails, but not so much that it provides another opening for the hyena to attack. "Shoo! Shoo!" he says.

Botticelli also stays motionless, since "standing" would provoke from the hyena and Grommit both, now.

Worst epic-pet-battle ever. Worst fight for Azrin, too. Grr.

RandomWombat
2016-09-15, 03:10 PM
Edmund hurries around the webbing as fast as his limp will carry him, desperately bringing down his glaive at the hyena as it tears at the fallen gnome's leg. The weapon crashes into the counter instead, sending splinters flying. Sensing danger now the hyena leaps at him. Its jaws close around an exposed part of his leg, but he manages to avoid being tugged to the ground. Afterwards, the hyena simply flickers out of existence.

Grommit crawls off the side of the counter and scurries underneath it.

Fortuna stands as River moves to flank her, and takes a step behind Hindrick, clinging to his arm for protection. He holds his chin up and stares down River.

Olivin lowers his whip as the guards close in from behind, one of them watching the two 'hired guards'. The guard who showed up with Hindrick has run off out of sight, chasing Huemes through the alley.

"These two men," Hindrick points to River and Olivin, "Are suspected of attacking this poor lady and her guards. They summoned demons! She's lucky to be alive!"

"Alright, you two turn over your weapons and surrender yourselves into custody," one of the two newly arriving officers approaches Olivin and demands his whips. "We'll be taking the woman - sorry ma'am I didn't catch your name - and these guards in as well. We'll need any weapons you have."

"Course, happy to," one of the two thugs nods in affirmation. He holds out his club and sheathed dagger for the guardsman to hold on to.

"There are more inside-" Fortuna adds as there is a crash of breaking wood and a snarl from inside, "-vandalizing my store."

One of the guards outside approaches the door, still hanging open, and sees Edmund and his bloody glaive. "This is the city guard! Stand down and turn over your weapons. We'll be taking you in for questioning."

Edmund barely misses the Hyena.

Hyena 5-foot steps and attacks Ed, biting him for 10 damage. Its trip attempt fails, and it vanishes as the spell ends.
Grommit moves away to hide under the wooden counter; this provokes an AoO from Botticelli at -4 for being prone, if he wants to take it.

Combat is sort of over; if it breaks out again we will restart on the same initiative order.

H. Von Studley
2016-09-15, 04:48 PM
Edmund stares at the counter in surprise as his glaive crashes into it. The sudden wave of energy had thrown his strike off balance. Did I just summon ki again? I need to speak with Ronaldo - I need to be able to control this.

The hyena takes advantage of his confusion with a vicious bite, but thankfully the bleached leg bone hanging at his waist moves on its own to absorb some of the blow. He moves to kick the beast away, but it vanishes before his boot can make contact.

He looks up as the guard enters. Slowly he lifts his glaive and drives it point first into the wooden floorboards. The sharp metal digs deep and the long weapon stands, quivering, next to him. He ignores the guard for the moment, turning his back and reaching into the webs to pull Azrin free.

Defending Bone (DR 5/Bludgeoning) should help out with some of the the hyena's bite, so Ed takes 5 damage, right?

I don't really know what check you'd use to pull someone free from the webs, but I'm hoping a CMB check should do it. Let me know if you'd like a different roll RW.

Ed CMB: [roll0]

Once Azrin is free and back on his feet, he turns back to the guard. "We'll stand down. We've no quarrel with the guard. Just make sure you bring in the witch and the thugs that attacked us unprovoked."

Archemist
2016-09-15, 04:58 PM
Ed looks up as the guard enters. Slowly he lifts his glaive and drives it point first into the wooden floorboards. The sharp metal digs deep and the long weapon stands, quivering, next to him. He ignores the guard for the moment, turning his back and reaching into the webs to pull Azrin free.

"My utmost thanks, Sir! I was completely surprised by her treachery - it all happened so fast! Let's hurry after her to sort this out - first, though, let me collect my menagerie, here."

Botticelli "stands up", with a little help from Azrin, who goes around behind the counter to see where Grommit went.

If there's no sign of the lizard, like he went under the floorboards or something, Azrin will just cast CLW on himself, for [roll0] hp back. If the lizard IS there, let me know if it's in a spot to be grabbed, etc. I'm assuming combat would still be officially continuing for Azrin at that point. :smallwink:

Aeryk
2016-09-15, 05:56 PM
River waits for the other guard to come to him, and then begins pulling his weapons out. He unties the pouch of shuriken from his belt, unstraps a hidden dagger from his thigh beneath the loose folds of his monastic robes, then pulls out the handaxe from his pack and hands them over to the guard. "Beware the witch," River says, nodding to Fortuna, "She may not have weapons, but she need only speak to summon beasts or other magic."

brandnewb
2016-09-17, 11:01 AM
Olivin looks at Hindrick, then back at River. "You want my weapons? Sure. But don't fall for the 'hired guard" trick. I was out here buying food when these thugs showed up, and all the merchants seemed to be afraid of them. Then suddenly they were attacking people in the store. I can't let random thugs terrorize people." Olivin shakes his head, he hands over his two whips.

I don't think Hindrick and Olivin have met yet? It was Robert that was helping with their our interaction. Unless I am mistaken.

RandomWombat
2016-09-18, 02:53 PM
Correct, only River has really had the full Hindrick experience.

"Easy now," says the guard at the door as Azrin begins to step away. "No sudden movements, you must turn over that rifl- wh-" the guard pauses as he begins to pull Edmund's glaive out of the floorboards. He sees something in the webs. "By the gods, man. Are you alive? We have someone down in here!" he calls to the other guards outside, having spotted the dead thug within the webbing.

"I will watch them, go see what he's found," the other guard outside orders Hindrick as he confiscates everyone's weapons, the thugs included, and stores them in a pack.

Hindrick struts past Olivin and River, entering the store. The other guard is attempting to cut through the webs, but they reattach as soon as he does. Then they suddenly wither away and dissipate into nothing. The thug from inside the store is lying in the middle of the room in a pool of his own blood. Hindrick hurries over to check the man for a pulse. "They've killed the poor bastard!" Hindrick exclaims.

"Both of you, on the ground now, with your hands behind your back," the guardsman orders Edmund and Azrin.

Archemist
2016-09-18, 03:25 PM
"Easy now," says the guard at the door as Azrin begins to step away. "No sudden movements, you must turn over that rifl- wh-" the guard pauses as he begins to pull Edmund's glaive out of the floorboards.

"They've killed the poor bastard!" Hindrick exclaims.

"Both of you, on the ground now, with your hands behind your back," the guardsman orders Edmund and Azrin.

Azrin, for once, does not surrender the musket. He shakes his head. He is very bloodied himself, looking like the mauling-victim he is. "I'm sorry, Sir, but no. This woman and her thugs attacked me, and my fellow officers defended me. Unlike you, who don't seem to have noticed me. Imagine! Arresting a half-dead mugging victim. Be a good public servant and fetch a doctor, howabouts. Or if you're disarming people at least bind and gag her so she can't use her evil magic. Whose hyena did she say it was, again?" he asks, pointing down at his own bite-marks.

Azrin readies an action to cast his own Web on Fortuna if she makes any motion to run or cast a spell.

brandnewb
2016-09-18, 04:04 PM
Olivin pokes his head in the door to see what the commotion is, "Look a that poor little Gnome, he has been mauled by some type of monster!" He pulls his head out of the door and looks at the women, "I thought I heard you claim a few moments ago that they summoned it? Not what it looks like to me."

He turns to the guard that remained outside and smiles. "I have not been here in your city very long, but it sure seems like a lively place. Do you always have this much action going on? These poor merchants all seemed to disappear real quick, like this was no surprise. Something they have seen before. Are there gang problems around here?"

RandomWombat
2016-09-18, 08:26 PM
Azrin, for once, does not surrender the musket. He shakes his head. He is very bloodied himself, looking like the mauling-victim he is. "I'm sorry, Sir, but no. This woman and her thugs attacked me, and my fellow officers defended me. Unlike you, who don't seem to have noticed me. Imagine! Arresting a half-dead mugging victim. Be a good public servant and fetch a doctor, howabouts. Or if you're disarming people at least bind and gag her so she can't use her evil magic. Whose hyena did she say it was, again?" he asks, pointing down at his own bite-marks.

Azrin readies an action to cast his own Web on Fortuna if she makes any motion to run or cast a spell.

"Listen, I don't know what's happening, but there is a dead man here!" the guardsman rebuts forcefully. "We can sort out this mess in questioning at the nearest guard post."

"You resisting arrest?" Hindrick asks, standing from his position next to the dead thug.

Olivin pokes his head in the door to see what the commotion is, "Look a that poor little Gnome, he has been mauled by some type of monster!" He pulls his head out of the door and looks at the women, "I thought I heard you claim a few moments ago that they summoned it? Not what it looks like to me."

He turns to the guard that remained outside and smiles. "I have not been here in your city very long, but it sure seems like a lively place. Do you always have this much action going on? These poor merchants all seemed to disappear real quick, like this was no surprise. Something they have seen before. Are there gang problems around here?"

Fortuna gently holds up her hands and speaks to the guard outside, "I don't know why their beast would turn on them. I am a spellcaster - I make no effort to hide that, it's how I make my living. As an offer of good faith I can use the rest of my power for the day healing that gnome."

Archemist
2016-09-18, 08:39 PM
"Listen, I don't know what's happening, but there is a dead man here!" the guardsman rebuts forcefully. "We can sort out this mess in questioning at the nearest guard post."

"You resisting arrest?" Hindrick asks, standing from his position next to the dead thug.

Fortuna gently holds up her hands and speaks to the guard outside, "I don't know why their beast would turn on them. I am a spellcaster - I make no effort to hide that, it's how I make my living. As an offer of good faith I can use the rest of my power for the day healing that gnome."

"Last things first: No way am I letting her cast spells on me, not after what she pulled in there. Second, am I seriously under arrest? I'll come along to the guard post peacefully because I would like to file charges against her. Let's go, then.

"My musket hasn't been fired and won't be unless she takes any step closer to me."

H. Von Studley
2016-09-19, 05:47 AM

Edmund nods. He holds his hands out at his sides, away from his body, but makes no effort to get on the ground, instead standing firm next to Azrin. He ignores Hindrick, speaking calmly and firmly to the other guard.

"Like I said. They attacked us and we acted in self-defence. The dead man tried to cave in my friend's skull while his back was turned. Now we'll all go with you peacefully to discuss this and get everything sorted. You have my word that we will cooperate. But my men and I are innocent here. We will go with you, but we will not be led through the streets in chains.

"I suggest you send for Guard Captain Lorey. She knows us. Now what's your name?"

Aeryk
2016-09-19, 10:07 AM
River follows along with Ed's lead, staying silent for now, and not surrendering to the restraints unless his captain does. He keeps a close eye on Fortuna, watching for unusual gestures or incantations.
This will all get sorted out during questioning...

RandomWombat
2016-09-19, 07:24 PM
"You all need to start cooperating," the inside guard answers, moving to bar the entrance. "I am Guardsman Kenneth. And I don't care who you are or who you know, a man is dead and someone needs to face trial for it."

The guard outside speaks up, "There have been complaints of gangs in this area, Ken. I think we should cuff these other people just in case, until we sort it out."

"Bull! This woman is clearly a victim of these murderers and thieves," Hindrick shouts.

"Shut up Hindrick," the guard blocking the door spits in frustration. Hindrick's face turns red and he clams up.

"This seems a little crass, but I'll cooperate."

During the standoff and argument, Grommit takes the chance to scurry out from under the counter and towards the door.

Archemist
2016-09-19, 08:28 PM
"Bull! This woman is clearly a victim of these murderers and thieves," Hindrick shouts.

"Shut up Hindrick," the guard blocking the door spits in frustration. Hindrick's face turns red and he clams up.

"This seems a little crass, but I'll cooperate."

During the standoff and argument, Grommit takes the chance to scurry out from under the counter and towards the door.

I swear, Hindrick has "Detect Alignment", always on, and is just deliberately a jerk to anybody on the Good spectrum. :smalltongue:

Azrin says, "As I said, I will happily come along, too."

Then he spies the lizard. "The evil sorceress will be wanting her familiar, I imagine."

brandnewb
2016-09-19, 08:36 PM
"I have already handed over me whips. I am cooperating." he gestures at the thugs. "It would not be good guardin' unless you arrest everyone. The courts can sort out who the real criminals are. But you might just be letting them go if you don't nab everyone." Olivin looks at one of the thugs outside with him and states. "I do know the merchants were all afraid of these guys, and then a fight started in the store. You don't find your local merchants afraid of the hired guard. That make any sense?"

Olivin turns to the thug he kept tripping with a wink. "Got 'ur feet under you now? You where 'aving a terrible time of it. You should try sailing, might learn you how to stand. Nothing like a rocking deck to learn a man to stand."

Olivin grins with a sailors swagger, and readies a trip attempt if the thug tries to rush him.

RandomWombat
2016-09-19, 09:19 PM
I swear, Hindrick has "Detect Alignment", always on, and is just deliberately a jerk to anybody on the Good spectrum. :smalltongue:

Azrin says, "As I said, I will happily come along, too."

Then he spies the lizard. "The evil sorceress will be wanting her familiar, I imagine."

"I will be needing your gun, and you will need to wear these manacles," in his free hand the guard takes out a pair of cuffs.

"Those too while you're at it," Hindrick points to Ed and Azrin's other weapons.

Grommit runs over to Fortuna, who scoops him up. "Of course I'm not about to leave my familiar."

"I have already handed over me whips. I am cooperating." he gestures at the thugs. "It would not be good guardin' unless you arrest everyone. The courts can sort out who the real criminals are. But you might just be letting them go if you don't nab everyone." Olivin looks at one of the thugs outside with him and states. "I do know the merchants were all afraid of these guys, and then a fight started in the store. You don't find your local merchants afraid of the hired guard. That make any sense?"

Olivin turns to the thug he kept tripping with a wink. "Got 'ur feet under you now? You where 'aving a terrible time of it. You should try sailing, might learn you how to stand. Nothing like a rocking deck to learn a man to stand."

Olivin grins with a sailors swagger, and readies a trip attempt if the thug tries to rush him.

The thug spits on the ground at Olivin's feet and holds his arms forward, allowing the guardsman to cuff him.

"Are you saying you aren't involved with this bunch?" the guard asks Olivin, nodding towards Edmund and Azrin as he cuffs the thugs and Fortuna.

The fourth guard comes back out of the alley, panting. "The elf got away. Is the situation under control?"

H. Von Studley
2016-09-20, 12:38 AM
Edmund frowns, but finally relents, realising the situation isn't going to be resolved easily. He carefully stows his other weapons in his pack, then hands the whole bag across to Kenneth. "We are cooperating. Do not lose that bag."

He steps back and holds out his hands to be cuffed. "Let's go. But you'd still better call Lorey. Trust me, she'll want to know what's going on."

brandnewb
2016-09-20, 12:44 PM
Olivin shrugs, "Can you trust what a suspect says anyway? If I was with them and wanted to get away I would say I was not. Might as well cuff me too." Olivin smiles. "I don't think you are going to get any trouble."

Archemist
2016-09-20, 01:03 PM
"I will be needing your gun, and you will need to wear these manacles," in his free hand the guard takes out a pair of cuffs.

Azrin looks from the Captain to Olivin... and shakes his head once more. "Fine. The important thing is that she's been apprehended, too. Don't turn your back on her, even so," Azrin warns Kenneth about Fortuna. Azrin hands over his musket now, since that seems to be the way things are going. "What have things come to in this city, when the guards have no sense of justice. I may have some words for the Dragon Emperor himself next time I see him."

He allows himself to be cuffed. "Let's go and 'sort this out down at the station' then, and quickly. A man may be dead but I think you'll pretty readily be able to file this one under 'self-defense'. Though you might need a new category for 'evil shopkeeper conspiring with thugs to attack her own customer unprovoked'."

Edited to add: By way of a little further explanation, Azrin adds, "I'm sorry - you may have noticed her literal spiderweb in there, in which she trapped me. I'm not keen on being helpless around her once more."

RandomWombat
2016-09-20, 10:21 PM
Edmund frowns, but finally relents, realising the situation isn't going to be resolved easily. He carefully stows his other weapons in his pack, then hands the whole bag across to Kenneth. "We are cooperating. Do not lose that bag."

He steps back and holds out his hands to be cuffed. "Let's go. But you'd still better call Lorey. Trust me, she'll want to know what's going on."

Kenneth takes the bag. "I would appreciate it if you stopped telling me how to do my job," he snaps, lugging the weapons outside.

Olivin shrugs, "Can you trust what a suspect says anyway? If I was with them and wanted to get away I would say I was not. Might as well cuff me too." Olivin smiles. "I don't think you are going to get any trouble."

"Just seeing what you have to say. If you're willing to come in and help us clarify the situation, then so be it. Thank you for your cooperation," the outside guard puts the cuffs on Olivin. "I apologize for this if you really are just a bystander who came to help. This whole situation is a mess. My name is Greg."

Azrin looks from the Captain to Olivin... and shakes his head once more. "Fine. The important thing is that she's been apprehended, too. Don't turn your back on her, even so," Azrin warns Kenneth about Fortuna. Azrin hands over his musket now, since that seems to be the way things are going. "What have things come to in this city, when the guards have no sense of justice. I may have some words for the Dragon Emperor himself next time I see him."

He allows himself to be cuffed. "Let's go and 'sort this out down at the station' then, and quickly. A man may be dead but I think you'll pretty readily be able to file this one under 'self-defense'. Though you might need a new category for 'evil shopkeeper conspiring with thugs to attack her own customer unprovoked'."

Edited to add: By way of a little further explanation, Azrin adds, "I'm sorry - you may have noticed her literal spiderweb in there, in which she trapped me. I'm not keen on being helpless around her once more."

"Things have come to me doing my damn job. A brawl in the marketplace with a man dead, and you expect to be treated like VIPs," Kenneth shakes his head in frustrated disbelief. "Hindrick, leave the body, try not to disturb the scene any further. Ma'am, may I have your keys to lock up the store?"

"Of course," Fortuna slowly takes out her keys and turns them over. Kenneth locks the door behind all of them and returns the keys afterwards.

The guards gather the group in the middle of their formation, taking them down the street of the market district. At one of the intersections, there is a guard post on the corner. It is small for the large group, but they are all led inside. The main room has several wooden chairs and a wooden desk at the far end. Three doors lead off of the main room.

"I will speak with everyone individually in questioning. The rest of you will wait your turn to speak your piece. Hindrick and Kenneth, guard the door. Greg, keep an eye on everyone else," the officer who'd been patrolling with Hindrick takes charge. "I will speak with you first since you seem very vocal," he gestures to Azrin. "My name is Orville. This way please." He opens one of the side doors. It leads to a room with a wooden table and one chair on either side.

Archemist
2016-09-20, 11:43 PM
"I will speak with everyone individually in questioning. The rest of you will wait your turn to speak your piece. Hindrick and Kenneth, guard the door. Greg, keep an eye on everyone else," the officer who'd been patrolling with Hindrick takes charge. "I will speak with you first since you seem very vocal," he gestures to Azrin. "My name is Orville. This way please." He opens one of the side doors. It leads to a room with a wooden table and one chair on either side.

"That's right, a 'vocal' gnome. Glad to see you're a guard who's not afraid to resort to stereotypes.

"My name is Azrin Bluestone and I am a sailor with the Emperor's new Navy. I may not be a VIP but I deserve a bit better than a common criminal. Are you interested in finding out what happened or are you just going to jump to conclusions like your pal Hindrick?"

RandomWombat
2016-09-22, 05:40 PM
Alone in the small room with Azrin, Orville sits across the table. He sets his helm on the table and rubs his temples. "Look, I don't know what the other guards said to get you all riled up, but I just want to figure out what's happening so this day can be over. Babysitting Hindrick is the absolute worst shift." He lowers his hands from his head and rests them on the table. "Start at the beginning and tell me how things played out."

Archemist
2016-09-22, 05:57 PM
Alone in the small room with Azrin, Orville sits across the table. He sets his helm on the table and rubs his temples. "Look, I don't know what the other guards said to get you all riled up, but I just want to figure out what's happening so this day can be over. Babysitting Hindrick is the absolute worst shift." He lowers his hands from his head and rests them on the table. "Start at the beginning and tell me how things played out."

"Fine." Azrin calms himself with some effort. "You don't deserve that. I apologize."

"It started this afternoon when my shipmates (the upstanding-looking fellow is the Captain of the Northeastern Fog, and the more burly two are able sailors on said ship (which I helped design at the Emperor's request))" - Azrin takes a breath and continues, "...when my shipmates came by my house and said they had received a tip that Fortuna was secretly a witch who was part of a kidnapping ring."

Azrin judges for a reponse, and adds, "We decided to check out her shop and gauge her ourselves; I was getting the impression she was entirely aboveboard up until the moment she surprised us with a Web spell and attacked us. She had two or three thugs helping her, and she summoned a demonic-looking hyena which mauled me, as you can plainly see. My Captain, in defending me, struck down one of the thugs. Fortuna escaped out the door of her shop, which is about when you found us."

"I would gladly repeat all of the above while under a truth-spell, if you'd like, and/or sign my name to a statement."

Azrin may pause midway if he's getting any sort of bad vibes from Orville at all upon the first reveal. Sense motive: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-09-22, 11:02 PM
Orville listens to the explanation with a level expression. His brow creases at the mention of a kidnapping ring, but he looks down at Azrin's leg more closely when he mentions the hyena attack. "Do you require medical attention for that bite before we continue? I know enough first aid to bandage it for you."

Whatever Azrin's reply, the conversation continues either during the bandaging or without. "There was an elf in the alley that attacked this woman as she left. He fled the scene when the confrontation with the guard started. Do you know that elf?"

Archemist
2016-09-23, 12:15 AM
Orville listens to the explanation with a level expression. His brow creases at the mention of a kidnapping ring, but he looks down at Azrin's leg more closely when he mentions the hyena attack. "Do you require medical attention for that bite before we continue? I know enough first aid to bandage it for you."

Whatever Azrin's reply, the conversation continues either during the bandaging or without. "There was an elf in the alley that attacked this woman as she left. He fled the scene when the confrontation with the guard started. Do you know that elf?"

"Sure, I'd appreciate a bandage." Azrin frowns at the mention of the elf. "To say I 'know' the elf would be putting it rather strongly - I'd never seen him before today. I believe he was the one who'd tipped off Captain Grimace, though."

RandomWombat
2016-10-01, 01:15 PM
"Thank you for cooperating," the guardsman says as he cleans the wounds and wraps fresh bandages around the bites. "Is there anything else I should know about?"

Archemist
2016-10-03, 08:10 PM
"Thank you for cooperating," the guardsman says as he cleans the wounds and wraps fresh bandages around the bites. "Is there anything else I should know about?"

"I don't know how she knew we were investigating her; I also don't know what other evidence the elf may have. Other than that, I can't think of anything. You should definitely confirm whatever you like of this with the others, though I don't recommend questioning Fortuna by yourself. I wouldn't put her past trying some charm spell or other."

RandomWombat
2016-10-04, 01:16 AM
"Alright," Orville finishes with the bandages and stands back up, opening the door for Azrin. "You can take a seat. I'll talk to you next." He points to one of the two surviving thugs, who stands and joins him in the interrogation room.

Kenneth is standing inside the door, with Hindrick wisely left to guard the outside where he can't cause trouble. Greg walks up and down the room, eyeing everyone seated there.

The party has some time to discuss amongst themselves if they wish, though privacy is not guaranteed. That can be handled alongside the next questioning for expediency.

The thug exits the room after a few minutes and Orville points to Edmund. "You're next." Inside, Edmund is sat down at the table and the guard introduces himself, "Before we get started, I'm Orville. You are?"

H. Von Studley
2016-10-05, 07:00 AM
While the group waits, Edmund turns to Azrin. "Everything go alright in there? This Orville fellow seems reasonable enough."

Once it's his turn to be interviewed, Ed follows behind the guard into the room. He eyes the man steadily for a moment and then extends his hand. "Captain Edmund Grimace, of His Majesty's ship, the Northeastern Fog. Sorry to meet under these circumstances. I understand Azrin has explained the situation to you?"

RandomWombat
2016-10-05, 08:39 AM
The guard shakes Edmund's hand. He remains professional and explains, "I'll need to hear your side of the story, Mr. Grimace, to make certain it matches up. Please go over what happened from the beginning."

H. Von Studley
2016-10-06, 06:42 AM
Edmund nods. "Of course." He sits down at the table and begins to speak, his voice measured and objective.

"My crew and I are on shore leave from our most recent mission abroad. We have a decent relationship with the city guard here in Stalling due to ties between former guards and crew members and our role aiding in the capture of a group of conspirators against the Emperor. We got wind of a kidnapping ring here in Stalling and decided to investigate the rumours to determine if they'd be worth formally bringing to the attention of the Guard.

"We had heard that Fortuna's shop was a front for the kidnappings and decided to check it out ourselves. My crew and I were browsing, trying to get a read on her, when an armed man entered the store and two more took up positions outside. We were hesitant, but didn't want to start any trouble so we continued browsing.

"Then, out of nowhere, they leaped into action. Fortuna summoned a hyena, from the lower planes if I'm not mistaken, and the armed man clubbed River over the back of the head. They caught us completely by surprise - River and Azrin were both seriously hurt.

"We all turned and fought back against our attackers. As they had jumped straight to lethal force and were threatening the lives of my crew, I drew my glaive and cut the thug across the backs of his knees, attempting to hobble him and keep him from continuing the fight. He dropped, but before any of us could attempt to stabilise him, Fortuna summoned the webs, trapping myself, Azrin and River. She then fled the store, screaming for the guard.

"By the time I freed myself from the webs, Fortuna's man had bled out on the floor and Azrin had been viciously mauled by the fiend. I attempted to fight it off, but the magic binding it to this plane ended before I could land a killing blow. It was at that point that you all entered and we surrendered ourselves into your custody for questioning."

Ed takes and breath and leans back, signalling the end of the report.

"I understand that you have a job to do here, but believe me, this will warrant the attention of your superiors. I would suggest that you send a runner for Guard Captain Lorey immediately. She'll be able to fill in the blanks regarding our previous dealings with the Stalling Guard. I said as much to your man Kenneth, but he was dismissive of the idea. In his defense though, it was a pretty unusual situation to be caught up in."

RandomWombat
2016-10-06, 04:50 PM
"I will have a runner sent to confirm your story with the Guard Captain while I speak with the rest," Orville agrees. "There was an elf outside of the building who attacked Fortuna and fled the scene upon our intervention. Do you know anything about him?"

H. Von Studley
2016-10-06, 08:40 PM
Edmund nods. "Yes. He was the one who tipped us off about the kidnapping ring and Fortuna's involvement."

RandomWombat
2016-10-06, 11:05 PM
"How did your crew meet this elf?"

H. Von Studley
2016-10-07, 07:42 PM
Ed hesitates. "It's ...complicated. A friend of mine has gone missing, and we came across the elf while trying to track him down. My apologies - I realise that sounds vague, but it's a sensitive issue and I just met you. I'm willing to go into more detail with the Captain, when she arrives."

RandomWombat
2016-10-07, 07:50 PM
"If that's what it takes. Is there anything else I need to know?"

If Ed has nothing left to say, he is sent back out of the room. Orville gives Kenneth the order to fetch a messenger and summon the Captain of the Guard, and Kenneth leaves the room to do so.

The second thug is called in next and the questioning is very brief. After it passes, River is called in to speak with Orville.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-09, 08:12 PM
Edmund shakes his head. "What is Fortuna saying happened?"

RandomWombat
2016-10-09, 08:56 PM
"I haven't gotten to her yet," Orville answers before the interview comes to a close. "And if I had I couldn't discuss what she'd have said with you."

H. Von Studley
2016-10-09, 09:04 PM
Edmund shrugs at that and turns to leave. He eyes the thug coldly as they pass each other.

Aeryk
2016-10-10, 10:55 AM
River enters the interrogation room quietly, eyeballing Orville as he walks in, but keeping a blank expression. He is much calmer now that everybody has been brought in for questioning. Surely the truth would be found out...

RandomWombat
2016-10-10, 12:30 PM
Passing Edmund, the thug meets his gaze without a change of expression.

As River enters the room, Orville takes a seat and gestures for River to do the same opposite him. "Please tell me your side of what happened, from the beginning."

Aeryk
2016-10-11, 12:26 PM
River nods, thinking on how to tell the truth of the matter without revealing anything about Captain Rory. "Well, we found out that some people had gone missing, so we decided to look in to it. We found out that the cult of Asmodeus was involved, and that Fortuna was one of them, so we went to her shop to try and find out some information on where they might be keeping their captives. While we were in the shop, Fortuna's thugs assaulted us unprovoked." River indicates the congealing blood down the back of his head. "We were trying to defend ourselves and catch Fortuna before she escaped when you all came along."

RandomWombat
2016-10-11, 09:53 PM
Orville scrunches up his face in surprise. "The Cult of Asmodeus? How are they involved?"

Aeryk
2016-10-12, 10:56 AM
River pauses, wondering if he's said too much, but realizes it's too late to take back his words. "That I don't really know. Just that we got a tip from a confidential source that they have been kidnapping people in the area, and that Fortuna is one of them."

RandomWombat
2016-10-12, 03:39 PM
"Who is this source?" Orville asks, pointedly. "If they have proof the cult of Asmodeus has come out of hiding, this matter should have been brought straight to the castle. This is a major threat we're talking about."

Aeryk
2016-10-12, 06:14 PM
River looks at Orville apologetically and replies, "I'm afraid I can't discuss that. As I said, it's confidential."

RandomWombat
2016-10-13, 05:49 PM
"If you will not speak to me, I trust you will speak with the guard captain," Orville replies sternly. He sits back in his chair and asks, "There was an elf outside of the shop who attacked Fortuna as she fled. Was he one of your group?"

Aeryk
2016-10-13, 08:35 PM
River nods, "My apologies, of course sir, I will be able to disclose more to Captain Lorey. As for the elf, he was not part of our group, but is a friend of our informant."

RandomWombat
2016-10-13, 09:49 PM
"I see," Orville nods, eyeing River suspiciously. "Is that all?"

Aeryk
2016-10-14, 11:44 AM
"Yes sir. Please, I'm not trying to hide anything, but I have given my word that I would not discuss the details unless absolutely necessary." River stands as if to leave, presuming he is allowed to do so.

RandomWombat
2016-10-14, 02:14 PM
"So long as you are willing to speak to the Guard Captain, there will not be a problem," Orville stands and unlocks the door, letting River out. He points at Fortuna and gestures for her to enter next.

The interrogation of the witch takes longer than that of the thugs, leaving the crew sitting for several minutes. Eventually she is let out, and takes her seat with a subtle frown on her face.

Orville gestures to Olivin last. When the two take a seat he asks, "Before we begin, can you confirm whether you are affiliated with the crew of the Northeastern Fog?"

brandnewb
2016-10-14, 03:56 PM
Olivin nods "Yes Sir, Im part of the crew. I just wanted to make sure everyone got arrested. Some peoples lives may be at risk if we are not careful. The best thing is if no-one got away." Olivin smile, " We be lookin into the disappearance of a navy person. We had let 'ur guard captain know. Our questions led us to this group who also had someone missing. They led us to the kidnappers. They feared that if the guards found out the captives would be killed." Olivin takes a pause and continues

"The Captian and his group went in ta talk to that store keeper. I stayed outside to ask the shop keepers some questions. I found them to be very scared and not willing to answer questions. When the thugs arrived they became down right frightened. In response to my question about who they were one drew a pentagram on her shop stall. But would not say more. Then when the fighting started I went to help.

RandomWombat
2016-10-14, 06:43 PM
"Alright, so a member of the navy and a member of another group are missing. Can you tell me who they are?" Orville asks.

brandnewb
2016-10-14, 08:00 PM
"Well Im sorry Sir but I am not sure how much I am allowed to say." Olivin sighs, "When I first 'eard about all this my said go to the guard house. Get a couple dozen of you fellas to come with us and go crack some skulls. But they seemed ta think getting the guard involved would kill the missing folks. I really dont want to say to much more incase I have already said to much.

RandomWombat
2016-10-14, 10:28 PM
Orville glances at the door, then leans forward and whispers despite the relatively soundproof room, "Does your crew suspect the guard has been compromised?"

brandnewb
2016-10-15, 05:44 AM
Olivin shrugs, "No one right said it. And the navy is purty friendly wit da guard. But dat is the only reason I can see." Olivin eyes the guardmen up and down clearly assessing him, "Probably best if you only discuss it with ur Captain, jus' in case."

RandomWombat
2016-10-15, 11:14 AM
""Yeah," Orville sits up straight again, looking a little uncomfortable. He takes out some parchment and an inkpen, "Can you give me descriptions of the shops you visited and spoke with? I can at least look into what's going on there."

brandnewb
2016-10-15, 03:51 PM
Olivin frowns, "I don't know that you'll get much out of them if they don' feel protected. But once the dust settles I can go show you which ones I spoke to. Askin' question righ' now might just tip off the kidnappers. I hope I have helped. Don't know if I should say much more."

RandomWombat
2016-10-15, 04:34 PM
Orville sighs and puts down the pen, "I can't make you tell me if you don't want to. C'mon, let's go wait for my Captain to get here."

Orville and Olivin exit the room and Orville addresses everyone gathered in the waiting area, "Everyone hold tight. We're waiting for Kenneth to get back."

Shifting in her seat, Fortuna watches the door. The two thugs sit with impassive expressions.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-16, 09:58 PM
Edmund sits still and quiet, trying to maintain his composure. Inwardly, he curses in frustration as valuable time slips away.

RandomWombat
2016-10-17, 01:00 AM
An awkward silence hangs in the air as the guards wait. Then the door opens and Hindrick enters, accompanied by a masked Claudia; though the crew recognizes her outfit. Her mask is white with bright red lips and painted eyelashes around the eye holes. "Orville, this good lady wants to speak with y-"

Claudia cuts him off and speaks over him, "I got the location of a high-ranking member of the Cult of Asmodeus. If you want him removed, gimme the Captain and his men. I need muscle." The awkward silence is replaced with a stunned one, except for Fortuna, who snerks.

"What's the meaning of this?!" Orville exclaims as it starts to sink in. One of the Asmodean thugs begins to stand, but Greg is on point and delivers a blow from his sap, causing him to rethink this action and stagger back into his chair.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-17, 03:49 AM
Edmund holds his hands out non-threateningly and slowly rises from his chair. He eyes Greg and the other sap-happy guards sternly, projecting all his years of authority into the stare and silently warning them off hitting him too. After a moment he turns to Orville and nods over at Claudia.

"She's the one that helped put us onto the kidnappers. We may not have much time. How long until Lorey gets here?"

He glances over and addresses Claudia. "I don't think we're going anywhere until we have a chance to speak with the Captain."

RandomWombat
2016-10-17, 12:25 PM
"I don't know," Orville answers in exasperation. "It should take a messenger maybe fifteen minutes to get to the main guard barracks from here."

"And Kenneth should be back from fetching the messenger by now," Greg adds. "He was supposed to come back here after he sent one wasn't he?"

Sighing in annoyance, Claudia taps her foot impatiently. "This opportunity isn't gonna last forever. If you're not coming I'll take care of it myself."

"Who is this woman?" Orville asks Hindrick, "Why did you just let her in here, you useless idiot! You had one job: watch the damn door!" Hindrick clenches his teeth and turns bright red.

"And you people wonder why I've got no faith in the guard," snarks the Calistrian priestess.

Aeryk
2016-10-17, 07:50 PM
River regarded Ed silently as emotions and thoughts warred within him. His principles told him to follow the rule of law, but at the same time the knowledge that lives were at stake made him want to burst out of the guardhouse at top speed and crush those responsible. At the same time, he knew that the word of his Captain was law enough for him to maintain his own moral convictions should he be ordered to act against the wishes of the guardsmen. In the short time he had served aboard the Fog he had been through enough with crew and Captain to know that he would follow him into death without a moment's hesitation. Standing slowly, hands open and unthreatening, he looked into Edmund's eyes so the Captain could see the truth behind his eyes and said, "I'm with you sir, whatever you decide."

H. Von Studley
2016-10-18, 05:12 AM
Ed catches River's eye and nods gratefully. This situation was well beyond the usual scope of his command, and it meant a lot that the monk was still loyal to a fault. He steels himself and turns back to Orville.

"If the Asmodeans have intercepted Kenneth, then Lorey isn't coming. We're running out of time. If they saw the fight in the store, they might already be going underground."

He takes a step towards Orville, hard conviction in his voice. "If we wait, your people and my people are dead. We have to move now. Come with us, we'll follow her lead and find the Asmodeans before they escape. As soon as we're done, we'll come straight back here and turn ourselves back over into your custody. You have my word."

He looks the man dead in the eye. "It's up to you. But you need to decide right now."

Are we still handcuffed RW? I don't remember if the guards removed them.

brandnewb
2016-10-18, 03:43 PM
Olivin looks around the group listening to the discussion. He is clearly uncomfortable. "Ill come Captain, but lets bring some guards with us if they will come."

Olivin nods to the guard who has been questioning them. "You should send some of your men with us. That way the guard can stay informed and they can hold us to our promise to return."

RandomWombat
2016-10-18, 04:01 PM
"I can't just leave this place unmanned, with them here," Orville looks to Fortuna and the thugs, and notices Fortuna's smirk. It looks almost like she's trying not to laugh. "What's so funny? Speak up, woman."

"Everything about this really," she answers, having dropped all pretense of the helpful and bubbly personality she'd put on in the shop.

Scowling at Fortuna, Orville looks at Edmund, then back at her. He seems the be debating what to do.

You are all still cuffed, yes. The weapons that were confiscated were taken into another room for safe-keeping.

Edmund, or any other party member, can attempt a Diplomacy check to sway Orville's decision in the crew's favor.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-18, 04:57 PM
"Just leave one or two men to guard them then. Tie them to the wall and gag them if you have to. Lives may depend on it. We have to move now."

Diplomacy check (using the bonus from Touch of Glory that Ed cast earlier)

Maybe we could have everyone else chime in to convince Orville, and roll some Aid Another checks?

[roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-10-18, 07:24 PM
"Okay. Greg, stay here and watch Hindrick and the prisoners-" Orville holds up a finger before Hindrick can get a word in edgewise, "Tie these three to their chairs and do not leave them alone. If Kenneth doesn't return in five minutes, bring them to the main barracks. Edmund, I'll go with you." The guardsman relents.

Wordlessly, Claudia turns and leaves, apparently expecting the rest to follow.

Archemist
2016-10-18, 07:28 PM
"Just leave one or two men to guard them then. Tie them to the wall and gag them if you have to. Lives may depend on it. We have to move now."

"Hold on. First - we're taking her lizard with us. I've got some string in my bag.

"Second - bind them all tightly, gag the witch especially, and let me use my own Web spell to bind them in place in a cell. That'll give us a good hour, and suitable repayment for my earlier indignity. You can leave guards if you want, but leave no one alone with her, Sir.

"What say you, Fortuna? If you and the thugs are still in your cell when we return, you'll get Grommit back, eh?"

Aiding Ed: [roll0]

H. Von Studley
2016-10-18, 07:32 PM
Edmund nods at Orville. "Thank you. And Azrin's right. You'll need precautions. She's dangerous."

He glances down at his cuffs. "We'll need our hands free as well, and our gear back. We're not walking in there unarmed, and you shouldn't either."

RandomWombat
2016-10-18, 07:41 PM
Orville sets about uncuffing the party, "Your gear is in the next room, in the chests and on the racks. Greg, Hindrick, get these three into the interrogation room. We'll keep them in there."

"Familiars can be replaced," Fortuna answers Azrin coldly. She smiles and stands, cooperating with the guards as they lead her into the room.

Archemist
2016-10-18, 07:49 PM
"Familiars can be replaced," Fortuna answers Azrin coldly. She smiles and stands, cooperating with the guards as they lead her into the room.

"I'm not planning on hurting him. But I hope he heard you. Perhaps I've made a new friend already."

When Fortuna and the thugs are situated, Azrin webs the room. He picks up his musket and bag, puts Botticelli in his pocket and leashes Grommit into Botticelli's usual carrier.

If Fortuna (and Grommit) are as cooperative as she seems, of course. (The carrier can go into the party's bag of holding (we have one of those, right?) for the moment.)

H. Von Studley
2016-10-18, 07:59 PM
Edmund stashes his gear, carefully replacing it all where it belongs, then turns back to Orville and Claudia.

"Let's go."

RandomWombat
2016-10-18, 09:07 PM
Remember that bags of holding have no air in them, so anything alive kept inside will suffocate.

Archemist
2016-10-18, 09:09 PM
Remember that bags of holding have no air in them, so anything alive kept inside will suffocate.

Ok fine, it'll be in Azrin's usual bag. :smalltongue:

Aeryk
2016-10-18, 09:15 PM
River replaces his weapons back to their usual places and nods to Ed and says, "Let's do this!" (To quote the immortal words of Leeroy Jenkins)

brandnewb
2016-10-18, 11:06 PM
Olivin nods to the guard as he is uncuffled. Once free Olivin goes over to the other room and grabs his equipment. He replaces it and follows the others.

RandomWombat
2016-10-19, 05:32 PM
When the crew gets outside, they spot Claudia waiting impatiently at the end of the block. Orville follows behind them as they hurry to catch up and she leads them all onto a side street. "This city's got a modest estate for political types from Aigodon or the Silver mountains to stay at, if they aren't top dog enough to get the castle guest room. It's been outta use for a while now with Aigodon being such a mess, looks like the Cult let themselves in. Somebody important's in there."

They turn down another sidestreet, avoiding the main roads as they move towards the nobles' district.

"Place has a secret entrance leading to what looks like the back door of a fancy inn called the Running Water. Supposed to be an emergency escape. We tracked the Cult there. You-"

"Who is 'we'?"

"You.Don't interrupt me when I'm giving a briefing. I was saying, you - Captain - and your crew are all gonna go in the secret way. We, as in me and my crew, we're gonna break in loud at the estate. No escape," Claudia stops walking at a T-intersection and takes out a disposable-looking pistol to Azrin. By the looks of it it's only meant to fire once, and contains a flare. The disposable flare gun was made with a larger hand in mind, but Azrin does know how it works. "This is to signal me when you're in position. My crew is already waiting for me to get back. We split up here." She commands them with all the authority of someone used to being in charge.

brandnewb
2016-10-19, 08:38 PM
Olivin nods in understanding while he listens to the explanation. As the mention of inevitable combat is made he takes his whip in hand. When the stranger is done explaining he looks to the Captain, "Orders Sir?" His comment is clearly intended to put control back in the hands of his Captain.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-20, 06:04 AM
Ed listens carefully as Claudia explains the plan. He holds back a smile as Olivin undermines her order and gives the sailor a slight nod of acknowledgement.

He loosens his glaive in its sheath and turns back to the Calistrian. "Sounds like a good plan. I have a few questions though. Any idea where they're keeping the prisoners? How many do you have in your crew? What kind of resistance are you expecting inside? Where inside the inn is this passageway? I imagine it's carefully concealed."

RandomWombat
2016-10-20, 06:55 AM
"The entrance is not in the inn at all. The back door of the building the inn is in leads down into what looks like a plain old cellar. A crawlspace leads to the secret passage," Claudia sounds vaguely annoyed, like she's having to explain something obvious to a child. "This is time sensitive, so I don't got time to case exact numbers. It can't be much, they're trying to lay low. I've got fifteen people with me. Should be enough to keep the footmen busy."

"I doubt the prisoners;d be here, the risk of being caught would be stupid. What we wanna do is to capture the one in charge," the Calistrian runs a hand along the hair at the side of her head and sighs, some nervousness showing through her irritation. "I found a clue at Fortuna's place. They're not just prisoners, they're sacrifices."

H. Von Studley
2016-10-20, 07:43 AM
Ed eyes her carefully, then finally nods. "Alright, let's go. See you inside. Orville, you're with us."

Ed turns and leads the party towards the inn.

Ed is a bit suspicious of Claudia still - I think she's just an abrupt person, but the way she keeps trying to rush us into things makes me trust her less.

Sense motive: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-10-20, 08:29 PM
Edmund doesn't feel like Claudia is lying, and her annoyance is definitely genuine.

"I don't like that woman," Orville says, drawing his sword as the group proceeds through the alley in the direction they're pointed. The side street ends far up ahead, turning towards the main street; there are no alleys among the estates of the aristocracy. The second last building is the one they are looking for, and there are three more buildings between them and it, with one other + intersection before the last corner. There are no visible guards or sentries from here. How will the crew proceed?

H. Von Studley
2016-10-20, 11:25 PM
Edmund pulls out his shield and holds it in his left hand as they approach, gesturing with his right.

"River, you take point. Scout ahead and make sure there's no one guarding the door. We'll follow at 60' back or so. Azrin, think you could keep us in contact?

"Everyone remember, we want to go quiet and non-lethal where possible. Any one of these thugs could have information on the captives."

Archemist
2016-10-21, 12:05 AM
"River, you take point. Scout ahead and make sure there's no one guarding the door. We'll follow at 60' back or so. Azrin, think you could keep us in contact?"

"Sure thing." Azrin double-checks his musket and carries it. He casts the Message spell on the group (including Claudia, if she's up for it) and adds, "I can also make magical noise if needed... unfortunately not magical silence."

Aeryk
2016-10-21, 10:13 PM
River nods and scouts ahead, keeping alert for signs of danger.

Stealth check: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-10-21, 10:45 PM
River quietly stalks to each corner, checking them in turn. At the + intersection, he looks towards the main street. There is a homeless man carrying some sort of sign. River can't see the contents from this side, but the people passing by give him a wide berth. In the opposite direction of the main street, behind a dumpster, two men are rolling dice and betting on small change. There are no other notable persons as far as he can tell.

Aeryk
2016-10-22, 05:59 PM
River doubles back to the rest of the party following and reports what he's seen, asking for advice on how to proceed.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-22, 06:17 PM
Ed listens to the report carefully, straining his eyes to spot the people River had mentioned. "Could be Asmodeans in disguise, but there's not really any way to know. We don't have time to get too creative. Now we know who's out there, we'll head straight for the cellar doors. Everyone keep an eye on them. Let's go."

Aeryk
2016-10-23, 03:42 PM
River carries on to the cellar doors, watchful as usual.

RandomWombat
2016-10-25, 03:22 PM
Crossing the intersection, the party carries on through the alley. Things are oddly quiet and there is no detectable resistance as they reach the back door of the inn.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-26, 09:06 PM
Edmund studies the door and hinges quickly for any sign of traps. If he finds none, he stands to the side of the door and tries the handle, keeping his arm outstretched and his face and body clear.

If it's unlocked he pushes the door open and moves inside, shield raised in front of him.

RandomWombat
2016-10-27, 04:41 PM
Edmund examines the wooden door carefully, but doesn't see anything out of place. He grips the knob and tries to turn it, but finds the door locked. Edmund tries to pull away, but his hand is now stuck to the doorknob.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-27, 05:18 PM
Lol. Oops. Magically stuck, or does it feel like adhesive?

Edmund stares blankly for a moment in confusion, before relaying the news to the others. He drops his shield to free his other hand up and scans around with Detect Magic. As he casts the spell, he tries pulling his hand away with more force.

RandomWombat
2016-10-27, 07:18 PM
Edmund attempts to pull away, and feels like the knob is sticking to his hand. He senses no magic within the door.

Edmund can attempt a Strength check to pull free.

Aeryk
2016-10-27, 08:01 PM
Crossing the intersection, the party carries on through the alley. Things are oddly quiet and there is no detectable resistance as they reach the back door of the inn.

River looks around suspiciously as Ed struggles with the door. His pulse quickens a little as his instincts kick in. "Sir. It's too quiet...too easy... I think this is a set-up. I'm going to check on those guys we just saw."

He goes to a stealthy position where he can have eyes on the dice rolling guys and the homeless man (back to the intersection if he must, peeking around the corner perhaps), to see if they are doing anything of interest, whether it's keeping lookout, passing signals, or changing position.

RandomWombat
2016-10-27, 10:32 PM
River skulks back to the intersection. The two men playing dice remain as they were, one of them smirking as he collects his winnings. The homeless man is carrying his sign into the alley. He will pass by River soon. The homeless man has scraggly brown hair flecked with grey and a scruffy beard that looks like it's been shaved (poorly) with a dull razor. River can see his sign, which reads 'seeks wizard for my dreams'.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-28, 02:57 AM
Edmund looks over at River incredulously. He glances down at his hand, stuck to the door and then back up at the monk. Easy? All well and good when you're not the one stuck to the door!

Still, after a moment Ed gives him a gruff nod, relenting to the wisdom of River's words, then turns his attentions back to the door. He unclapses the buckle holding on his gauntlet, and after some careful wriggling manages to free his hand from the door. The gauntlet remains comically attached to the handle.

Ed crouches down and examines the handle more closely, careful not to touch it this time. He draws his dagger and tests the door for stickiness as well.

After a moment he turns back to the others to relay his findings. "If the handle is a diversion, perhaps there is a catch concealed nearby that opens the door. The Asmodeans must have some way to get it open without getting stuck. Come, help me look."

Perception isn't exactly Ed's forte, so I'd appreciate some help.

[roll0]

EDIT: Ha. Called it.

Failing that, does this door look like it could be kicked down RW?

RandomWombat
2016-10-28, 03:08 AM
Edmund's dagger sticks to the door as if it were glue. Now the gauntlet and the dagger are stuck to it. The door does not look especially durable.Edmund guesses it could be kicked in.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-28, 05:42 AM
Feeling the stickiness of the wall, Edmund tries to wrench the dagger back.

I didn't really make it clear enough in my post, but I used the dagger because the point will have minimal surface area to stick to the door. I'll try strength to free it back.

[roll0]

If you'd prefer a d20 I'm happy for you to roll for me RW.

Ed searches the wall next to the door, but his quick glance reveals nothing of interest. Frustrated, he steps back into the alley, leaving it to the rest of the party. A thought occurs to him, and he begins searching the ground around the alley.

Can Ed find anything flat with a large surface area, like a blanket, or piece of cardboard, or bin lid? I'm looking for something to stick to the door so Ed can kick it in without getting his boot stuck.

RandomWombat
2016-10-28, 12:40 PM
Edmund spots a large, scrapped together sign being carried by a homeless man. It reads 'seeks wizard for my dreams'.

brandnewb
2016-10-28, 12:57 PM
Olivin watches the scene being put on by his captain at the door. He struggles to repress a smile, he thinks this would be comical, if they were not likely to be attacked at any moment.

He takes a moment to approach and see what he can spot as well. [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-10-28, 01:03 PM
Olivin looks over the door. Its surface has a rough texture, like it's been poorly sanded down, but otherwise the door is unremarkable.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-28, 06:09 PM
Not particularly eager to rob the strange old man of his sign, Ed continues looking, wrinkling his nose and checking inside the garbage bin as well.

RandomWombat
2016-10-28, 06:34 PM
Inside of the wooden bin, Edmund finds the refuse from the various businesses here. The two gamblers look up at him strangely as he goes dumpster diving.

Please roll a d% to determine the quality of trash you find.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-28, 06:36 PM
Ah, the glamorous life of an adventurer.

[roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-10-28, 06:42 PM
Edmund finds some only slightly moldy bread. It's stale, but could hypothetically be edible if the moldy parts were picked off.

"Y'gon eat that?" the hobo asks as he approaches Edmund at the dumpster.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-28, 06:49 PM
Edmund glances at the man quizzically, then turns to face him and hands over the bread. "It's all yours friend. And while we're at it, I'll give you a silver piece for that sign of yours. Interested?"

Archemist
2016-10-28, 10:35 PM
Meanwhile, Azrin also studies the door, intrigued.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (Engineering): [roll1]

He adjusts his glasses and says, "Hrmmm."

Aeryk
2016-10-28, 11:25 PM
River skulks back to the intersection. The two men playing dice remain as they were, one of them smirking as he collects his winnings. The homeless man is carrying his sign into the alley. He will pass by River soon. The homeless man has scraggly brown hair flecked with grey and a scruffy beard that looks like it's been shaved (poorly) with a dull razor. River can see his sign, which reads 'seeks wizard for my dreams'.

River frowns, oblivious to the struggles of the rest of the party for the moment, then decides to check things out in the other direction, looking to the rooftops as well to see if anyone is observing them. North of the sticky door, according to the map. Thanks for that ;)

RandomWombat
2016-10-30, 05:03 PM
The door seems brand new, as if it were just added. It is newer than the rest of the building.

"Thanks pal'o," the homeless man takes the bread and starts digging out the moldy sections. The stale bread cracks and crunches under his fingers. "Ya got a wizard?" He asks as he stuffs a piece of clean (if barely edible) bread from the center of the loaf into his mouth. He bites into it with a grimace and some effort, swallowing it after grinding it down. "Ya get a wizard to lissen to me, I give ya the sign. Won't need it anymore."

River stalks up the alley and past the Running Waters inn. Around the corner here is the main street, where he sees nothing suspicious. People walk by on their business. A rat has sequestered itself in a small nook in the wall of the inn, where it chews on what looks like a severed human finger.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-30, 07:16 PM
Edmund sighs inwardly, already regretting the time wasted at the door. They needed to move on, and quickly.

"I know a few actually, and I have some understanding of the craft myself. I'm in a hurry right now, but if you wait at the docks tomorrow morning, I can come and try to help you then. Deal?"

RandomWombat
2016-10-30, 07:57 PM
"Yeah okay," the hobo hands Ed his sign. It's just some wooden planks tied together with the words scratched into it, but it should make a good nonadhesive surface for Ed's boot.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-30, 08:33 PM
Edmund thanks the man and accepts the board. He gives River a quick wave to let him know they're moving and then heads back to the door.

"Be on your toes. That glue might not be the only trap here." Ed leans down and sticks the board to the door, just next to the handle. He mutters a quick prayer to himself, then picks up his shield in his left hand and draws Orcsbane with his right.

Finally he steps back, breathes out, and launches forward with a hard front kick to the board.

Casting guidance and then...

Strength: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-10-30, 10:20 PM
The door swings open as Edmund kicks with all his might. The sudden absence of his target causes him to lose balance and fall down onto the ground. The door swings shut once more, and the board falls off of it.

Edmund falls prone.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-30, 10:50 PM
Ha, that's rude.

RW, given that Ed has launched himself forwards to kick the door, is it possible he could have fallen partially inside the door when it opened? Could I make a save or something to try to keep his leg inside and prevent it from closing?

RandomWombat
2016-10-31, 12:00 AM
Sure, go ahead and make a Reflex save to determine where you land.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-31, 12:03 AM
Edmund lunges forward as he falls, trying to catch the door before it can slam shut

I'll use the Guidance bonus for this save.

Reflex: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-10-31, 12:16 AM
Edmund catches the door with the side of his face. Instead of being prone, he is now stuck to the closed door. He feels it vibrating very slightly against his skin.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-31, 12:43 AM
Uh oh. That's an embarrassing roll to fail.

The door pulls painfully at the skin on his cheek as Edmund sits dazed. After a second or two, he recovers sufficiently to blush furiously and growl through the door at whoever is behind.

"This is the Stalling Guard! Open the door right now, or we'll open it for you!"

He glances back at rest of the party. "Not a word, you lot. See if you can tell how they managed to unstick the board."

Archemist
2016-10-31, 01:31 AM
Azrin chuckles softly, then feels bad about it. He's not sure what's up with this door - "It doesn't seem to be magic, Sir, but it sure is annoying."

RandomWombat
2016-10-31, 06:15 AM
Edmund hears the sound of muffled laughter through the door, causing it to vibrate a little more in tune with the laughter until it stops. It sounds like whoever it is is pressed right up against the other side of the door.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-31, 06:42 AM
Undeterred, Edmund uses Azrin's message spell to communicate back to the group.

"There's definitely someone in there, pressed up against the other side. Quickly, stick the board on again and kick the door in. I'll hold it open this time."

Ed shifts his body out of the way to make room for someone to kick it open. As soon as it opens, he'll grab the gauntlet attached to the handle and hold it open for the others.

Aeryk
2016-10-31, 09:59 AM
River catches the Captain's wave, and returns to the group in time to see Ed's embarrassing fumble through the door. Frowning a little, and hoping that Ed hasn't injured himself (physically at least; his pride might be a different matter). He is quick to grab the board and kick the door in, with a little more caution than Ed used hopefully.

RandomWombat
2016-10-31, 02:56 PM
The door opens again when River attempts to kick it open, but unlike Edmund he is ready for it. Ed is dragged along with the opening door by his face, but then finds himself and the board both separating from the door. Inside of the door is a stairway leading down into darkness, which Ed finds himself about to fall down after being released from the adhesive door. The hobo board tumbles down as well.

A piece of string hangs from the ceiling just inside the door, over the stairs. It is attached to the ceiling by small metal loops and continues downwards, running taut. At the last metal loop before the string hangs down, a wooden bead is attached to the string, preventing it from being pulled through the loop the other way.

Edmund: DC 12 Reflex save not to fall down the stairs.

The string is part of something Azrin recognizes. It is a simple mundane alarm system; when the string is pulled, a bell it is attached to at the other end rings, alerting the owner to the break-in. The string can be operated manually by a guard or attached to something - often a door or window - and trigger when it is opened.

H. Von Studley
2016-10-31, 05:15 PM
Possible redemption/not further embarrassing himself save: [roll0]

EDIT: Uh oh.

So no sign of whoever was laughing on the other side of the door?

Archemist
2016-10-31, 07:14 PM
Inside of the door is a stairway leading down into darkness, which Ed finds himself about to fall down after being released from the adhesive door.

A piece of string hangs from the ceiling just inside the door, over the stairs. It is attached to the ceiling by small metal loops and continues downwards, running taut. At the last metal loop before the string hangs down, a wooden bead is attached to the string, preventing it from being pulled through the loop the other way.

Azrin quietly adds via whisper, "Watch out for that string, it looks like a door-bell ringer or something... actually, if it'd been stuck to the door just now they probably know we're here already." He will attempt to follow the group inside, but more gracefully, perhaps.

RandomWombat
2016-11-01, 01:26 AM
Edmund tumbles down the stairs for a long ways before coming to a stop in near-pitch darkness. As he comes to his senses, bruised and battered, he suddenly feels like there are hot coals in his boots.

Azrin files in after Edmund, and presumably River and Olivin follow?

Edmund suffers 3 nonlethal damage and 1 lethal damage from the fall. He feels a searing pain in his feet, and suffers 1 fire damage.

The area at the bottom of the stairs is in darkness.

H. Von Studley
2016-11-01, 01:39 AM
Ed curses to himself and stumbles to his feet. Ignoring the pain in his feet for the moment, he hastily casts Light on a copper coin and throws it out in front to illuminate the room ahead.

brandnewb
2016-11-01, 09:18 AM
Seeing his Captain begin falling down the stairs Olivin hurrys to keep up. Hoping that if ed is falling into the jaws of combat then he will be there to help him fight.

Aeryk
2016-11-01, 01:56 PM
River follows, checking the Captain to make sure he has no serious injuries, then takes a few cautious steps ahead, watching for more traps or potential foes.

RandomWombat
2016-11-01, 09:12 PM
As the others descend the stairs, the door slams shut behind them. They arrive as Edmund tosses out a glowing coin, casting dim light and long shadows across what looks to be an out-of-use wine cellar. Out-of-use that is, except for the dolls lining the shelves, hanging from the ceiling by string, or sitting up against the walls. In the middle of the room is a small end table, with a gnomish clockwork music box on top and a cloth doll (shaped like a little girl) sitting with an arm draped over the box. Without any apparent outside input the box opens and starts up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheJJVdDD-8). Some dolls are cloth, some are porcelain. There is even a pile of discarded mannequin parts lying in the corner.

There is a tunnel to the left of the stairway, leading away into the darkness beyond Edmund's light spell.

Edmund feels the burning in his boots intensify for a moment before fading altogether. Olivin and River experience a similar feeling as they arrive, a blistering feeling like the soles of their feet being dangled over a bonfire.

Ed takes 3 fire damage.
Olivin takes 2 fire damage as he enters the room.
River takes 3 fire damage as he enters the room.

Archemist
2016-11-01, 09:38 PM
As the others descend the stairs, the door slams shut behind them. In the middle of the room is a small end table, with a gnomish clockwork music box on top and a cloth doll (shaped like a little girl) sitting with an arm draped over the box. Without any apparent outside input the box opens and starts up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheJJVdDD-8). Some dolls are cloth, some are porcelain. There is even a pile of discarded mannequin parts lying in the corner.

"Well, now that's only mildly creepy. Step it up, Missy," Azrin says to the doll on the table.

He doesn't seem to notice the foot-pain the others are having. He does look around with his magic-detecting sight, though, to see if any of the dolls or the music box are more than they seem. And then down the hallway, also.

History, maybe? [roll0]

H. Von Studley
2016-11-01, 11:13 PM
Well that's super creepy. Especially with the music box. Perfect timing for Halloween though!

Edmund exclaims softly as the pain in his feet continues. Gritting his teeth, he puts down his shield and warhammer and pulls off a boot to examine his foot.

After a moment he mumbles an incantation through gritted teeth and healing magic eases the worst of his wounds. Satisfied, he puts his boot back on and picks up his things, then walks over to Azrin.

He stares around the room at the dolls arrayed before them. "Agreed. Even for a secret cult of devil-worshippers, this is a bit much."

He walks around the outskirts of the room, careful to avoid touching or walking directly underneath any of the dolls where possible. As he moves he casts Light a few more times to completely illuminate the room. After a careful look to make sure nothing sinister is hiding in the shadows, he picks up the copper coin, throws it down the hallway and advances through the basement.

"Come on, let's find that tunnel. The others are waiting for us."

Ed casts Cure Light Wounds, spontaneously converting his prepared Bless spell, as well as casting Light a few times.

CLW: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-11-01, 11:39 PM
Three of the dolls glow dimly with magic that sends a chill down his spine. Infernal. Two of them are on the shelves and the third is the one perched on the music box.
Some of the mannequin pieces also glow with magic. They feel more like magic weapons.

The music box is a mechanical contraption invented by King Rockafella soon after clocks and pocketwatches were patented and became common in the mountain cities. There's a small xylophone-style instrument inside operated by wound clockwork. They are quite complex on the inside for such a simple function. People have begun experimenting in using similar clockwork to make guns that hold more rounds.

Archemist
2016-11-01, 11:50 PM
As he moves he casts Light a few more times to completely illuminate the room. After a careful look to make sure nothing sinister is hiding in the shadows, he picks up the copper coin, throws it down the hallway and advances through the basement.

"Come on, let's find that tunnel. The others are waiting for us."

"Uhh, hold up Sir, some of these dolls are evil dolls. That one, that one, and that one..." Azrin points the three out. "I know we're supposed to be keeping a low profile but if you could smash those with your hammer quick before we go, I'd feel much better." Azrin nods quickly while talking, in his slightly superstitious fashion.

H. Von Studley
2016-11-01, 11:58 PM
Edmund frowns slightly at the delay, but curiosity overcomes him. He casts Guidance again quickly and strides back over to the gnome. After a moment he turns in place, scanning the room with his own Detect Magic spell.

"I see what you mean. Any idea what the magic does?"

Spellcraft (with guidance): [roll0]

EDIT: Another crap roll? I think Ed is losing his mojo.

Archemist
2016-11-02, 12:01 AM
"I see what you mean. Any idea what the magic does?"

Spellcraft (with guidance): [roll0]

Azrin attempts to answer the Captain's question...

[roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-11-02, 01:12 AM
As they puzzle over it, the dolls stand up on their shelves and the floor. The mannequin pieces on the floor start rattling.

Neither roll turns up more info.

The party can roll Initiative.

Aeryk
2016-11-02, 09:16 AM
River clenches his jaw as his feet burn, but the feeling passes, and he ignores it. He looks distastefully at the dolls, then as they begin to move he instinctively crouches into a fighting stance.

[roll0]

brandnewb
2016-11-03, 08:48 AM
Olivin is distracted by the pain in his feet, he bounces back and forth in response to the pain. It is nothing compared to being whipped by an orc, but that does not make it comfortable.

Due to this he is not ready as he intended when the dolls start moving.

Int: [roll0]

Edit: added stats
Olivin Instance (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=78018)
human Lore Master Fighter Lvl 5 N
HP 58 / 60 Speed ft Init 0
AC 14 Fort 7 Ref 1 Will 2
CMB +12 BAB 5
Whip +1 14 (1d3+7, x2)
whip+1 pwr attack 13 (1d3+9, x2)
whip+1 trip&disarm 18 (nil, x2)
cat whip 13 (1d4+6, x2)
cat pwr attack 12 (1d4+8, x2)
cat trip&disarm 17 (nil, x2)
Str 20 (5) Dex 10 () Con 16 (3) Wis 10 () Int 14 (2) Cha 7 (-2)

RandomWombat
2016-11-03, 11:00 AM
Dolls - 21
Mannequin: 17
Party - 15

The doll on the end table stands up and points at Azrin, giggling. Its voice is like a child's echoing up from a deep well. The doll on the shelf nearest the tunnel stands as well, and points and giggles at Edmund. The last doll, on a shelf opposite the tunnel, hops down and jogs up to River, punching him in the shin.

Reassembling themselves, the mannequin parts in the corner of the room come together into a twisted form. The creature has four gangly limbs, each of which is tipped with long, wickedly serrated claws. A mannequin head is perched atop the torso in the middle of all of this, sprouting from between its shoulder blades. A crack in the face of the mannequin's head reveals a glowing red eye inside. The thing bolts with frightening speed towards River, twirling as one of its claws whips out and rips into his chest.

In a burst of brimstone and sulfur, a black and red badger-like creature erupts from thin air in front of Edmund. It screeches in incoherent rage and begins savaging the captain with tooth and claw. The wounds it leaves behind burn with a profane fire, eating away further at Edmund's flesh.

River and Olivin continue to experience their feet being blistered by hot coals, but it eventually fades.

Doll 1&2 cast spells. Azrin and Edmund must pass DC 13 Will saves. On a failure, they start giggling uncontrollably and cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components this round. Azrin's passive Spellcraft identifies this as the Giggle spell.
Doll 3 attacks River, who is hit due to AC penalties from the blistering feet. He is hit for 3 damage.
The mannequin charges and critically hits River, dealing 14 damage. River is suffering a 1d6 damage bleed effect until it is removed.
A creature appears out of nowhere to attack Edmund. Azrin identifies it as a Fiendish Wolverine. It attacks Ed with a bite and two claws, and activates Smite Good. Edmund suffers 12 damage total.

River continues taking damage, and suffers 3 fire damage and 2 bleed damage.
Olivin continues taking damage, and suffers 2 fire damage.
Both of them are suffering a -2 penalty to AC, ability checks, skill checks, and saves until their next turn after this one. They may spend a full-round action this round to negate the penalties.

After Hell (quite literally) breaks out, it is now the party's turn. Here is the map (https://s21.postimg.org/sp8esegk7/cellarbattle.png).

Archemist
2016-11-03, 06:59 PM
The doll on the end table stands up and points at Azrin, giggling. Its voice is like a child's echoing up from a deep well.

Azrin casts his shocking cloud spell and draws his musket. "I'm afraid I'm all out of curatives, Mister River!"

A small cloud appears around the mannequin and zaps it.

Aggressive Thundercloud: It gets a Reflex save DC 15 or takes [roll0] electrical damage.

Also, is it me, or are both campaigns aggressively pursuing TPKs at the moment? :smalltongue:

H. Von Studley
2016-11-03, 08:47 PM
Ed clenches his teeth and staggers back under the weight of the wolverine's vicious attacks. The wounds continue to burn from the otherworldly magic. A desperate laugh starts to bubble up from his stomach, but he fights it back, wondering at the strange magic.

He falls back next to Azrin, lifting his shield and intoning a new spell. The iron amulet around his neck glows white for a moment as row upon row of iron scales ripple out from Edmund's chest, spreading quickly to cover every inch of skin - arms, legs and face. The dark heavy metal moves seamlessly as he rolls his shoulders and works his jaw experimentally. Pleased with the flexibility, he closes his iron fingers around the warhammer at his waist and faces down the wolverine.

He calls out to the party, an odd metallic ring in his voice. "Try to keep some distance between you and the mannequin - don't give it time to attack with all its claws. Be ready to fall back and hold them at the stairs if things get dicey!"

Mannequin monster is awesome. Careful not to get stuck inside full attack range though. Eating an AoO might be preferable to all four claw attacks.

Ed will 5' back to Azrin and cast Ironskin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/ironskin). Then he'll draw his warhammer.

HP 29/46, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 4.
AC 22, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 20, CMB +8, CMD 20
Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Effects Defending Bone DR 5/Bludgeoning (20/25) 5 hour duration - cast prior to entering temple;
Ironskin (+4 enhancement to Nat Armor)

Spells (CL5): (L1) 2/4, (L2) 1/3
(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Maneuvers (IL3):
Encouraging Roar

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 3/3, Ferocious Strike 3/5, Touch of Glory 2/5.

Aeryk
2016-11-04, 10:30 AM
River gasps in pain as the claw rips through him, his vision begins to dim from shock and blood loss. After the recent blow to the head during the fight with Fortuna and her men he hadn't had any time to recover. With his remaining strength, and hoping to fight another day, River manages to say between laboured breaths, "Sir, I *gasp*... can't go on!", as he retreats toward the cellar entrance, holding his hands to his gushing chest. He pushes against the cellar door, "Orville! Help me!"

River takes the withdraw action, and 2 bleed damage, leaving him at only 2 hp.

Edited to add: Moving through Olivin's square, so as not to draw an AOO from D3.

brandnewb
2016-11-05, 10:53 PM
Olivin sees the desperate situation River is in and steps up to slow the dummy down. He swings his whip around attempting to bring the legs out from under the creature.

Trip Attempt [roll0] Olivin will move within 15ft of the critter. It will provoke a AoO when it trys to stand back up.

RandomWombat
2016-11-06, 12:50 PM
River starts seeing spots in his vision and turns around, bolting up the stairs. As he reaches the top, the door by some miracle decides to open, revealing a flabbergasted Orville and the hobo, who has retrieved his sign. Orville hurries in onto the landing and grabs some bandages from his toolbelt, beginning to apply first-aid and wrapping them around River's bleeding chest. The hobo wanders past them and down the stairs.

Olivin lashes out with his whip and throws the mannequin off its feet as Azrin calls up his thundercloud. A hollow growling noise echoes through the crackling lightning as the creature is zapped. The creature stands up and moves out of the cloud, flicking out one of its claws to cut Azrin on the shoulder and leaving a smooth, bleeding wound.

Stepping back, Edmund reinforces his defenses. From the shelf beside him, one of the dolls jumps down and dropkicks him, but he doesn't even feel it through his armor and metal skin. The wolverine lunges forward at the same time, but its claws and teeth slide harmlessly off of the smooth metal scales. The doll on the end table with the music box keeps pointing and giggling at Azrin, while the last steps closer and takes two swings at Olivin. He dodges one of the punches, but the second barely clips his foot and stubs his toe.

"Is there a wizard in here?" the hobo asks as he steps down the stairs into the room.

River withdraws and flees up the stairs, nearly dead.
Olivin trips the Mannequin. The dim light conditions provide concealment unless one possesses darkvision, but the attack still hits.
Ed steps back and casts Ironskin on himself.
Azrin conjures a thundercloud around the mannequin. The mannequin is zapped for 11 damage.

Orville applies First Aid, stopping River's bleed effect.
Hobo enters the room.

D1 casts Giggle on Azrin. DC 13 Will or be unable to speak or cast verbal spells for 1 round.
D2 attacks Edmund and misses.
D3 5-foot steps and attacks Olivin twice, dealing 1 damage with one hit.
Mannequin stands and 5-foot steps, attacking Azrin for 4 damage. Azrin is suffering 1d6 bleed.
Wolverine 5-foot steps forward and full attacks Edmund, but fails to get through his metal skin.

It is the party's turn. Azrin will take 1 bleed damage this turn. Here is the new map (https://s12.postimg.org/rnx8byzil/cellarbattle.png).

Archemist
2016-11-06, 03:51 PM
The creature stands up and moves out of the cloud, flicking out one of its claws to cut Azrin on the shoulder and leaving a smooth, bleeding wound.

"Is there a wizard in here?" the hobo asks as he steps down the stairs into the room.

Azrin tries to resist the urge to laugh, but this takes the cake and he fails. Azrin steps back between his larger friends and makes some gestures to try to give the mannequin some bad juju. (It probably deserves it, in the grand scheme of things.) He moves the cloud back onto it, too.

Azrin is down to 8 hp and 3 pretty useless spells (he wasn't planning on much combat this morning). Nonetheless, Will save: [roll0]. Even not being able to speak, he can still step back, Hex (Misfortune) the Mannequin, and move the cloud. He'll step diagonally behind Ed and Olivin. Mannequin DC 15 Will save or must roll twice and take the worst on everything this round. And a DC15 Reflex (possibly including the Misfortune effect) or [roll1] damage.

H. Von Studley
2016-11-06, 08:06 PM
Ed stands strong as the wolverine scratches ineffectively at his iron skin. He glances back as the hobo enters the battle and calls out desperately. "No! Get back!" As before, something triggers within him and his shout is infused with ki, lending strength to the party.

Seeing Azrin in trouble as the mannequin closes in, Ed steps across to cover the gnome's retreat, dropping his shield and warhammer and drawing his glaive. He holds steady for a moment, waiting to see if Olivin will trip the creature again, then brings the polearm down hard in a vicious overhead strike.

Ed initiates the Encouraging Roar maneuver. Allies within 30' of Ed get +2 to all attack and damage rolls for one round.

Ed then 5' steps right to where Azrin just moved from, drops the hammer and shield and draws his glaive. He then delays his standard to see the outcome of Olivin's action, then attacks regardless (but hopefully against the prone AC, if B decides to trip).

Attack (PA and FS): [roll0]

AC 20, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 18, CMB +8, CMD 20
Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Effects Defending Bone DR 5/Bludgeoning (20/25) 5 hour duration - cast prior to entering temple;

(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Maneuvers (IL3):
Encouraging Roar (expended)

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 3/3, Ferocious Strike 2/5, Touch of Glory 2/5.

brandnewb
2016-11-07, 09:38 PM
Olivin does indeed attempt to trip the creature again. And this time he moves within 10ft so that he can take an AoO when the time arrises.

5 ft step & Trip [roll0]

Aeryk
2016-11-08, 02:24 PM
"Thanks," River wheezes as Orville applies first aid. He reaches into his pack to pull out a cure potion he's been holding on to from Orrick for just such an occasion.

Using a CLW potion I've has on my kitlist for awhile. I believe it was from Orrick (so 1d8+4), but I don't completely recall. Removing it from my sheet now.

[roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-11-08, 04:54 PM
The thundercloud wafts over the mannequin, which twitches wildly as the lightning courses through it again, making a hollow groan. Olivin lashes out with his whip and yanks the thing off of its feet, followed by Edmund cleaving it in half with his blade. The creature convulses in the cloud and then disintegrates into empty space.

Completely disregarding Edmund's warning, the hobo walks towards the evil doll attacking Olivin and smashes the thing across the back of the head with his sign, screaming incoherently as his face suddenly contorts in rage.

"I'm going down to help. The bleeding should stop now," Orville walks down the stairs, drawing his blade, and steps up next to the hobo at the bottom. He barely as time to register what's going on before the doll lunges at the hobo, and Orville catches it midair on his blade. The doll pulls itself free and lands on the floor, ragged body barely stitched together. It weakly takes a wild swing at the hobo and nearly falls over.

The doll on the other side of the group slaps Azrin in the face with its porcelain hand. He still feels the bubbling feeling in his belly, and the urge to giggle.

Edmund is scrabbled at by the desperate wolverine, but it fails to make a mark.

Azrin's thundercloud deals 9 damage to the mannequin.
Olivin trips the mannequin.
Edmund slays the mannequin with 21 damage.
River heals for 8 hit points.

Hobo smacks Doll3 for 6 damage.
Orville stabs Doll3 for 7 damage, leaving it Staggered.

Doll1 casts Giggle on Azrin. DC 12 to be able to speak/cast this round.
Doll2 slaps Azrin for 1 damage.
Doll3 misses Hobo.
Wolverine full attacks Edmund, but fails to bypass his defenses.

It is the party's turn. New Map (https://s11.postimg.org/4wzqmhwjn/cellarbattle.png).

H. Von Studley
2016-11-08, 08:53 PM
Turning his attention from the slain mannequin, Ed steps back to bring his glaive into range of the wolverine. He adjusts his grip on the weapon, waits for an opening and then stabs forward hard with both hands.

As before, I might wait until after B has his turn, just in case Ed can take advantage of his debuffing power, but Ed will attack the wolverine regardless.

5' step backwards to the left of where Azrin is now (under D2) and attack the wolverine with power attack.

Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Ironskin (+4 enhancement to Nat Armor) (48/50 rounds remaining)

(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Maneuvers (IL3):

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 3/3, Ferocious Strike 2/5, Touch of Glory 2/5.

brandnewb
2016-11-08, 10:39 PM
Olivin spends a instant looking at the hobo in impressed surprise. "Thanks." he says with a tone clearly impressed by the mans,... spirit. Then after a second to shake it off he moves forward and attempts to attack Doll 1 with his whip.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Aeryk
2016-11-10, 11:36 AM
River glances down to his bloodied chest, and runs a hand across it. Though the wound had stitched itself shut, he still feels quite shaky. In spite of that he decides that he can still be of some help now that he's stabilized, and returns to the cellar cautiously.

Moving back down into the cellar, but staying close to the exit. Keeping a readied action to attack if an opponent comes into melee range.

Archemist
2016-11-10, 09:46 PM
Azrin manages to contain his mirth. He finally replies to the hobo, "I guess I'm your wizard. Little busy right this minute though. Thanks." He directs the cloud over the table and the malevolent doll on it. "Let's see if you find THIS funny, little imp."

Then Azrin steps back from the closer doll, levels his musket (since they're probably similar in height) and shoots it.

[roll0] (I'll edit based on result. I'll post in the OOC with the attack numbers and cloud damage.)

RandomWombat
2016-11-11, 06:04 PM
Edmund and Azrin move back in a synchronized motion, Ed cutting a wide wound into the wolverine's front as he moves. Once the glaive has passed out of his way, Azrin finishes lining up his shot and fires at the doll next to them. The musket ball spears straight through the doll's porcelain cheek, shattering part of its face, which cracks even more as it distorts in rage. It keeps in stride with Azrin, bludgeoning him with small, but club-like hands.

The hobo is in a frenzy now and doesn't seem to register Azrin's words at all, as he continues driving his board down into the devil-doll's head. It crumples under his assault, but he does not stop.

With all of its attacks against the metal flesh-wall that is Edmund turned aside, the wolverine begins frothing with rage from the scent of its own blood. It turns to the nearest target and begins ripping into Olivin wherever it can get past his armor, even as Orville steps up and tries to cut it. His sword is batted away by one of the beast's claws, accidentally as it misses Olivin with that arm.

Edmund strikes the Wolverine for 17 damage.
Olivin lases Doll1 for 10 damage. He now flanks Doll3 with the Hobo.
River returns.
Azrin shoots Doll2 for 11 damage.
Thundercloud zaps Doll1 for 11 damage, knocking it out.

Hobo smashes Doll3 for 4 damage, knocking it out.
Orville attacks Wolverine, but misses.

Doll1 stabilizes.
Doll2 slams Azrin twice for 4 damage total.
Doll3... bleeds?
Wolverine enters a Rage and mauls Olivin for 15 damage total with a claw and a bite.

It is now the party's turn. Updated map (https://s15.postimg.org/drbwtjii3/cellarbattle.png).

H. Von Studley
2016-11-12, 04:05 PM
Eager to finish the wolverine before it attacks Olivin again, Edmund swings his glaive upwards in a tight diagonal arc across the beast's torso.

Edmund power attacks!

EDIT: That's not a d10! After rerolling damage in the OOC, Ed's attack deals 17 damage.

Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Maneuvers (IL3):

brandnewb
2016-11-12, 09:52 PM
Olivin turns his attention angrily toward the monster that just attached him. He takes a 5ft step back to open the distance again. Then lashes out with his whip at the monster.

[roll0]
damage [roll1]

HP 43 / 60 Speed ft Init 0
CMB +12 BAB 5
Whip +1 14 (1d3+7, x2)
cat whip 13 (1d4+6, x2)

RandomWombat
2016-11-14, 11:11 AM
Edmund buries his polearm into the wolverine's guts, and it vanishes in a puff of acrid smoke. Turning to the doll pummeling Azrin, Olivin lashes out and wraps his whip around the last doll's head. He pulls it taut quickly, and a snapping noise follows as the doll's neck cracks and it falls to the ground.

All of the creepy dolls have fallen, and ooze black goop from their injuries. The stink of sulfur gradually fades from the room.

Orville cautiously checks a few of the nearby dolls. The hobo pants, and lowers his board. He goes over to Azrin, "You are the wizard? Can you tell me about the dream?"

brandnewb
2016-11-14, 06:24 PM
Olivin looks around at the sorry state of his companions. Ragged and bleeding they are much the worse for wear. After a moment of thought he opens up his bag and dumps 7 CLW potions on the floor in front of the group.

""Thirsty?" he asks picking one up. He opens it and downs the potion in one gulp. [roll0]

"Help yourself. Finish 'em off in fact. A waste if we don' drink em." After finishing his he picks up another and offers it to River.

edit Stats:
HP 48 / 60 Speed ft Init 0
CMB +12 BAB 5
Whip +1 14 (1d3+7, x2)
cat whip 13 (1d4+6, x2)

H. Von Studley
2016-11-14, 06:36 PM
Edmund breathes a sigh of relief as the unholy creatures vanish as quickly as they'd appeared. He sheathes his glaive, picks up his shield and tucks away Orcsbane in its place on his belt.

He holds up his hand as his tattoo glows white and a wave of light washes over the party, immediately followed by a second, soothing their wounds. He nods approvingly at Olivin's generosity.

"Better make it quick. We've taken too much time already. Let's find the entrance to that tunnel and set off the flare."

As he speaks he ventures forward into the darkened hallway, picking up the Light coin and examining the walls around him.

Ed channels twice, healing everyone for [roll0]
+
[roll1]

I'm keen to move on quickly if possible. There's still about 4.5 minutes left on Ed's Ironskin buff and it'd be nice to carry that into the next fight if any cultists attack us on their way out.

HP 36/46, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 4.
Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Ironskin (+4 enhancement to Nat Armor) 5 minute duration - cast at start of doll fight

(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Maneuvers (IL3):
Encouraging Roar

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 1/3, Ferocious Strike 2/5, Touch of Glory 2/5.

Aeryk
2016-11-14, 07:00 PM
River relaxes, seeing the last of their foes felled as he enters the room. "Well that was quick..." he says drily. He accepts the potion from Olivin with thanks, downing it, and then allowing the pleasant sensation of Ed's healing magic flow through him. Although still stiff, he is in much better shape than he was mere moments ago.

CLW: [roll0]

River (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=969183)

Lawful Neutral Human Monk (ECL 5)

HP 20/43, Initiative +5, Speed 40, BAB +3.
AC 18, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +6, CMD 19
Fort+6, Ref+8, Will+7

Unarmed Strike +7 (1d8+3)
Flurry of Blows +7/+7 (1d8+3)
Shuriken +6 or +5/+5, FoB (1d2+3)

Effects: None

Abilities: STR 16, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 7, WIS 16, CHA 7

Special Abilities:
Elemental Fist: 2d6 (+3 if cold) 5/6
Ki Pool 5/6

RandomWombat
2016-11-14, 07:43 PM
As Edmund's second wave of healing course through the room, one of the unmoving dolls begins to stir again; the one that the hobo had cracked open. The cracked portions of its head regenerate and it sits up abruptly, looking disoriented.

H. Von Studley
2016-11-14, 07:47 PM
Ed curses and strides over, whipping his warhammer from his belt. He leans down over the doll and swings a heavy blow, trying to put the creature down for good.

Oops. Let me know if you'd prefer this in initiative RW.

PA: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-11-14, 08:07 PM
With his hammer, Edmund swiftly corrects his mistake, shattering the doll's head.

H. Von Studley
2016-11-14, 08:12 PM
Taking a moment to make sure nothing else is attempting to rise, Ed sheathes the hammer and moves off down the darkened corridor.

brandnewb
2016-11-14, 08:37 PM
Olivin nods in thanks to the Captain when the healing washes over him. He is not badly hurt, the nature of his weapons means he usually has considerable distance between himself and his opponents. It is what severed him so well in the arena.

Seeing that River is still in rough shape Olivin says. "Take 3 more. We'll lead the way catch up when ya c'n." Having just burned through through 5 potions Olivin packs the last two into his bag. He leaves the 3 for River there on the ground and walks off in the direction they need to go.

HP 55 / 60 Speed ft Init 0
CMB +12 BAB 5
Whip +1 14 (1d3+7, x2)
cat whip 13 (1d4+6, x2)

Edit; he is not badly hurt, typo

Aeryk
2016-11-15, 10:26 AM
"Thank you Mr. Instance, it is much appreciated."
River drinks the potions and chases after the rest of the party, feeling much better.

[roll0]

Archemist
2016-11-15, 09:27 PM
Azrin... also looks like he could use a potion or two, even after Ed's healing.

Is the hobo still enraged?

""Let me compose myself." He kicks at the closer doll, just in case. He reloads his musket, and upon seeing the potions, raises his hand. "Got any stronger stuff?" he jokes.

RandomWombat
2016-11-15, 09:32 PM
The hobo looks fatigued now that his rage has abated.

When Azrin asks for stronger stuff, the hobo takes out a metal flask and offers it to him. "I need you to walk into my dreams, wizard."

Archemist
2016-11-15, 09:54 PM
The hobo looks fatigued now that his rage has abated.

When Azrin asks for stronger stuff, the hobo takes out a metal flask and offers it to him. "I need you to walk into my dreams, wizard."

"Little busy... but what can you possibly mean by that?" Azrin sniffs the flask in a hopefully-not-offending manner. "I don't usually do dreams."

RandomWombat
2016-11-15, 11:12 PM
"It is the cat with blue eyes," he nods emphatically. Whatever's in his flask smells so strong Azrin swears it's burning his nose hairs off. "The dreams come, but the poison keeps them quiet. It wants to devour me inside."

Archemist
2016-11-15, 11:41 PM
"It is the cat with blue eyes," he nods emphatically. Whatever's in his flask smells so strong Azrin swears it's burning his nose hairs off. "The dreams come, but the poison keeps them quiet. It wants to devour me inside."

"So wait, should I drink this or not? If I wanted to see the cat, I mean."

brandnewb
2016-11-16, 03:52 PM
When Olivin sees Azrin request a potion he offers him one as well. So he only packs 1 back into his bag.

RandomWombat
2016-11-16, 03:53 PM
The hobo shakes his head. "The cat only comes when you close your eyes. To drink this, the night is long and quiet. Stay awake, always awake, or the cat eats your self. The cat ate my wife, ate my daughter, now gnaws at me always except when I am awake. So I must be always awake."

Archemist
2016-11-16, 09:24 PM
The hobo shakes his head. "The cat only comes when you close your eyes. To drink this, the night is long and quiet. Stay awake, always awake, or the cat eats your self. The cat ate my wife, ate my daughter, now gnaws at me always except when I am awake. So I must be always awake."

Azrin sighs. "Well, as may or may not be apparent, I've been gnawed upon today already, by a demon hyena. So, uh, I'd love to help you, if and when I can. Demon hyena, demon dolls - a demon cat should be very doable for me and my friends here. What's your name, then?"

Azrin thanks Olivin and drinks the healing potion, then chases it with a quick gulp from the hobo's flask, which he hands back. "Onwards!" he says, and trots after the Captain.

[roll0] Edited to add: Whee! No longer Shaken. :smallsmile:

RandomWombat
2016-11-17, 07:18 PM
"Name, my name is Joseph," the man nods. He stoppers his flask and puts it back where he got it.

The group moves ahead towards the hallway, which extends a short distance. At the end is an empty rack for bottles of fine wine. Joseph follows behind them, and Orville takes the rear, watching the dolls behind them as they go by with a disturbed expression.

Behind the wine rack, there are grooves in the wall. The two of them guess there is a hidden stone door here, accessible by moving the rack out of the way.

Aeryk
2016-11-19, 08:01 PM
River pauses, noticing grooves in the wall behind the wine rack. "Sir," he calls out softly to Edmund, "I think there might be a secret passage here." He sets about making a closer inspection, primarily looking for traps.

Is it possible to take 20 searching it for traps?

RandomWombat
2016-11-20, 09:04 PM
It would eat up a lot of time, but yes.

RandomWombat
2016-11-21, 12:26 AM
River finds an uneven segment of the wall, which looks like it can be opened up. Opening the disguised hatch with a slight squeal from the hinge, he sees a wooden handle inside attached to metal cable. It looks like it could be pulled.

Aeryk
2016-11-21, 09:30 AM
River finds an uneven segment of the wall, which looks like it can be opened up. Opening the disguised hatch with a slight squeal from the hinge, he sees a wooden handle inside attached to metal cable. It looks like it could be pulled.

River looks at the handle, then turns back to anyone gathered nearby. "Stand back," he warns, then pulls it slowly, ready to jump away in case anything should go awry.

H. Von Studley
2016-11-21, 05:30 PM
Edmund holds up his hand to wait. He leans forward and places a hand or River's shoulder, blessing the monk. A moment later he steps backs, raises his shield and nods.

Casting Guidance on River.

Archemist
2016-11-21, 08:18 PM
"Now that you point it out, there IS something there," Azrin chimes in. He attempts to divine its nature.

Casting Detect Magic, and thinking quickly about (Engineering): [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-11-21, 11:46 PM
The secret door is not magic. Considering what happens next, he might have a guess at the mechanism.

He does notice that the alarm string carries on along the ceiling above them, and through a tiny hole in the wall above the secret door.

River pulls on the handle. It is tough, but not impossible to tug out, and as he does so the stone door grates open, sliding into the wall. Along the top of the doorway is another metal cable, and at the side of the hallway on the other side of the door is another handle that is not hidden. It retracts from where it hangs as River pulls his handle and the door opens. The one on the other side must be to close it behind the person entering. There are more dolls hanging from the ceiling by strings, in the hallway past the door. The wine rack is still in the way.

On the other side are several Asmodean footsoldiers, a ways down the hall. In front are two with crossbows, crouched down. Behind them are another pair with crossbows, aiming over the crouching ones. Those four are clad similarly to the thugs they faced earlier in the streets, but openly wear the symbol of Asmodeus as a badge on their chests. Behind them are a pair in black robes, wearing Asmodean unholy symbols as pendants. Two of the crossbowmen open fire through the wine rack, at the group. The other two hold fire for the moment and take careful aim. The robed men in the back each take out a small candle in a bag, gesturing and murmuring over them.

One of the two bolts hits River for 7 damage. The second misses Edmund..

H. Von Studley
2016-11-24, 07:04 PM
Edmund catches the crossbow bolt on his shield. "Take cover!" He flattens himself against the left wall and holds his right hand out to cast. Tiny red sparks of electricity wind their way down his hand and across his chest as a familiar spell takes effect.

He looks back at Azrin. "We need to set off that flare!"

Casting Divine Favour (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/divine-favor).

HP 36/46, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 4.
Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Ironskin (25/50 rounds remaining) (+4 enhancement to Nat Armor) 5 minute duration - cast at start of doll fight
Divine Favor (10/10 rounds remaining) (+2 to attacks and weapon damage rolls) 1 minute duration - cast at Asmodean tunnel ambush

Spells (CL5): (L1) 1/4, (L2) 1/3
(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Maneuvers (IL3):
Encouraging Roar

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 1/3, Ferocious Strike 2/5, Touch of Glory 2/5.

Archemist
2016-11-24, 08:27 PM
Edmund looks back at Azrin. "We need to set off that flare!"

Azrin ducks but then nods and calls out, "This ought to confuse them! Go go Northeastern Fog!"

He casts a spell and the room billows with mist.

He then takes advantage of its screen to duck out towards the alley.

Aeryk
2016-11-24, 10:05 PM
River uses the cover of Azrin's mist to slide the wine rack out of the way, then moves carefully to the edges of the mist to keep within its cover.

brandnewb
2016-11-28, 06:07 PM
Olivin follows behind River and also takes a position in the edge of the mist. Olivin readies a trip action.

RandomWombat
2016-11-28, 09:04 PM
Azrin conjures a cloud of mist, providing cover from the enemy crossbows. He scurries away back into the doll room, to the edge of the fog cloud, where he smells sulfur again. The floor bubbles just outside of the fog and he sees a long shape rise up out of it, slick with black sludge like swamp muck. A pair of yellow reptilian eyes open up. The creature's back is covered in jagged ridges and tough scales. A low rumble from the creature's throat announces its displeasure at Azrin's presence. Someone moves up alongside him, and he notices the hobo in his peripheral vision moments before the reptile bolts forth with shocking speed. It latches onto his leg with strong jaws, teeth digging into his body. He feels an alarming familiarity with this situation.

In the opposite direction, River goes through the fog down the hallway with Olivin behind him. The two of them reach the edge of the fog and two bolts are let loose by the crossbowmen that had been taking aim, both going wildly off from hitting either of them. Instead the bolts pierce the porcelain bodies of two of the dolls hanging above the hallway, which explode in a spray of clear liquid. Where the liquid flecks their skin they feel it burning them. As they recover from the surprise, they see two lumps of flesh taking form in front of them. They grow and take shape, gaining vaguely human faces that sag with folds of fleshy fat and tumors. From the ends of the creatures' arms emerge black nails.

The four crossbowmen reload and take aim as the two flesh lumps flail at River and Olivin with their claws. Olivin reacts quickly, tripping his foe before it can lay a finger on him, and River barely evades his attacker. Before they can relax, another volley of arrows come, laying down fire on them. One of the bolts hits a flesh lump instead, snapping as it impacts the creature's body. Two fly past them in the smoke, and the last grazes Olivin on the arm. Behind the firing squad, the two cultists begin chanting over their candles yet again, calling forth some other insidious creature to aid them.

One of the hanging dolls swings on its string from side to side, giggling as it points at River. River feels a familiar sensation in his feet as they begin to blister as though he were on hot coals.

Edmund hears chaos erupting through the fog, but cannot see anything beyond Orville, who comes up to him. "What should I do?" the guardsman asks.

Asmodean Footsoldiers 3&4 take their readied actions, shooting disguised acid flask traps above River and Olivin.
One of them explodes above River for 5 acid damage and hits Olivin for 1 splash acid damage. River may make a DC 11 Reflex save to reduce the damage by half (to 2).
The other explodes, but isn't directly above either of them. Both River and Olivin take 1 splash acid damage.

Two fleshy creatures appear before River and Olivin. Neither of them know what they are.
One attacks River with both claws. One swipe nearly hits him, but concealment negates it.
The other attacks Olivin, but misses both barely due to being prone.

A large reptilian creature appears in the doll room. Azrin has never seen its kind before.
The creature charges him, and bites him for 7 damage. Azrin is grappled by the creature's Grab ability.

The four Footsoldiers reload and fire again. The flesh creatures provide soft cover, and one of them is hit by accident, but takes no damage. Two bolts miss, one due to AC and the other from concealment. The last hits Olivin for 2 damage.
The Asmodean Cultists both begin casting another Summon Monster spell. River and Olivin have seen them do this already, so they can guess well enough what it will do.

Another evil Doll reveals itself, casting a hex on River. River takes 2 fire damage. He will suffer more damage and a -2 penalty to AC, ability checks, skill checks and saves for a few rounds unless he takes a full-round action to stomp out the magical fire.
The Doll is hanging from the ceiling and is treated as flat-footed.

It is the party's turn. Here is the map (https://s13.postimg.org/rtztj6s6v/cellarbattle.png).