PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 1st time DM question. druid NPCs

Jellyburd
2016-08-28, 11:05 PM
I'm creating my first campaign and want it to start by the players being tricked into saving a group of people from (insert beast type here)
The trick is that the beasts were actually druids in beast form (or werewolves?) faking an attack to fool the players into clearing a cavern for the people they rescued (who are also druids/werewolves) so that they can claim a treasure it supposedly holds for themselves.
would a set of 4-5 druids/werewolves be possible?
I'm thinking druid because I dont want to have to deal with them turning into werewolves on the first campaign.

keep in mind this is my first time as DM and 3 of 5 players will be first timers, although they will probably start at lvl 5.

Thanks all

Tallis
2016-08-28, 11:39 PM
Sure, it's possible if you want it to be.

Vorpalchicken
2016-08-29, 12:10 AM
First, I would recommend starting everyone at first level so the players (and possibly you) can learn the abilities of the characters gradually rather than being overwhelmed. ..hmmaybe second level to help avoid instant deaths.

Next... how does this go? The beasts attack the "innocents" and retreat into the cave? Do they drag an innocent in there when they retreat?
What do you do if a pc brings a beast to zero hp and it reveals itself to be human?

I suppose one way to keep things secret is have one werewolf amongst a pack of normal wolves. The werewolf does a snatch and grab (don't let them start with magic or silver weapons but be aware pcs can do some potent spell damage so don't be too bold with Mr werewolf) while the other wolves cover the retreat and then retreat themselves if possible. This wouldn't be challenging for level fives of course. Well maybe with enough wolves..

Oh this is likely too much for first levels but maybe not second, especially if the werewolf doesn't attack the pcs.

The werewolf must have a way of doubling back out of the cave. A secret entrance? A stream? I guess if you did use druids, they could switch to bat form when out of sight.. but keeping the druid(s) from hitting zero hp in the initial raid would be tough. Fog Cloud could work too maybe.

gfishfunk
2016-08-29, 09:07 AM
My recommendation:

Don't do the trickster NPCs starting out. A plot twist is only good after a bit of straightforward plot.

I would make the merchants honest about their request, but maybe mistaken about the location. You also always have the inconsistency - if the NPC Druids are strong enough to fight the party, why did they need to PCs to clear the cave for them?

BW022
2016-08-29, 09:56 AM
I'll second the recommendations of VC and GFF -- start new players at 1st-level for a number of reasons (it doesn't overwhelm them, it is easier to build/scale encounters, it allows players time to grow into the campaign, etc.) and be careful on starting new players with complex plots.

I've never been a fan of tricking PCs into doing something which the bad guy could likely do. Why does the one group think they can get the treasure if you kill their enemies? If you are stronger than their enemies... how do they get the treasure away from you? Why can't they just approach you and ask you to help or give you a map with an X on it saying "Evil druids/werewolves here"? Finally... new players often don't know what to expect or think the way you might and new DMs often don't have the experience to see paths players might take.

I would start at 1st and keep the first few plots simple. Keep the plots straight forward and take the time to judge what you and the players can handle and like. Get them used to the mechanics of the game, roleplaying, working together, etc. and then spring more complex plots. Simpler encounters rarely fail. Investigation, trickery, deception, etc. plots often do or require so much 'on your feet' thinking that they may not work.

If you are completely new... consider pre-made modules at least for the first couple of levels. You can adjust XP such that players level fairly quickly through 1st to 3rd levels, but even a few sessions at lower levels gives them time to focus on playing the game rather than lots of numbers, rolls, checks, etc.

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-29, 10:13 AM
I'm creating my first campaign and want it to start by the players being tricked into saving a group of people from (insert beast type here)
The trick is that the beasts were actually druids in beast form (or werewolves?) faking an attack to fool the players into clearing a cavern for the people they rescued (who are also druids/werewolves) so that they can claim a treasure it supposedly holds for themselves.
would a set of 4-5 druids/werewolves be possible?
I'm thinking druid because I dont want to have to deal with them turning into werewolves on the first campaign.

keep in mind this is my first time as DM and 3 of 5 players will be first timers, although they will probably start at lvl 5.

Thanks all

I don't get it. How are the players seeing this attack such that they have time to clear a cavern and then rescue someone from the supposed threat? If the Druids aren't all inside of the cavern, why would the pcs have to clear it to reach them? It they are, why would they need the players to do it for them?

Jellyburd
2016-08-29, 02:28 PM
I don't get it. How are the players seeing this attack such that they have time to clear a cavern and then rescue someone from the supposed threat? If the Druids aren't all inside of the cavern, why would the pcs have to clear it to reach them? It they are, why would they need the players to do it for them?

My thought was that someone from town would genuinely comment about missing people and ask for help. As they left town to find them they would come across the human forms in combat with beast forms. As they got close enough the wolves would scatter and the human forms would cry for help.
If they chose to follow the wolves without engaging in conversation with the humans the wolves would lead them to the cave and at some point the others would ambush them.
If they went to the aid of the humans, the NPCs would ask them to clear the cave resulting in the same ambush.
Once all are killed they could return to town for a reward.

So maybe rather than in attempt to get treasure the NPCs would be trying to lure them to their den?

This is literally the first campaign idea I've had, i have never been DM.
Maybe I should start a bit more simple.

gfishfunk
2016-08-29, 02:33 PM
My thought was that someone from town would genuinely comment about missing people and ask for help. As they left town to find them they would come across the human forms in combat with beast forms. As they got close enough the wolves would scatter and the human forms would cry for help.
If they chose to follow the wolves without engaging in conversation with the humans the wolves would lead them to the cave and at some point the others would ambush them.
If they went to the aid of the humans, the NPCs would ask them to clear the cave resulting in the same ambush.

So maybe rather than in attempt to get treasure the NPCs would be trying to lure them to their den?

Its fine as you have just described it, I think.

First point is a straight line: the towns person directs the PCs to the forest.

The second point has multiple possible outcomes: the people being 'attacked' by wolves are actually druids and are lying to the PCs. The PCs might figure out the lies, though, so you need to be prepared for insight checks and stuff like that.

Having the cave already be the wolves den simplifies the matter - especially if these druids are cannibalistic psycho-druids. I love druids as villains. It puts them in the 'nature is actually hella dangerous' category, rather than 'nature is balance'.

For variety, you can have 3 types of creatures that they encounter:
- Wolves (real wolves, following the druids)
- Feral Druids (in wolf form)
- Casting Druids (in human form primarily)

The plot does not need to be simple, but it should definitely START simple with someone trustworthy.

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-29, 02:56 PM

Edit for clarity:
I'm still not following. So the townspeople are in on it? Who among the townsfolk is rewarding the players? Why? Didn't they say they missed the Druids who were helping with the ambush?

Vorpalchicken
2016-08-29, 03:05 PM
I thought you meant there was an additional threat in the cavern that the druids (or werewolves) didn't want to have to fight themselves.
A less complicated scenario may go more smoothly though.

Jellyburd
2016-08-29, 03:36 PM
I thought you meant there was an additional threat in the cavern that the druids (or werewolves) didn't want to have to fight themselves.
A less complicated scenario may go more smoothly though.

Initially I did say that the NPCs wanted the cave cleared by the PCs but upon hearing all of the comments I thought changing it to make the NPCs try to lure them to their den would make more sense.
Initially though the players would be sent by the townsfolk to look for missing people. The people would have no relation to the druids/werewolves.
Then they would encounter the threat they were looking for. Only they would think they were saving people not being tricked and lured into the den of the beasts that were responsible for the missing people.
Does that make sense? Its kinda hard to convey.

There is a bigger story involved to continue the story after this encounter but I left it out to avoid confusion...apparently it didnt help haha