PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Elemental Weapon

Ryuu Hayato
2016-08-29, 07:15 AM
Hello everyone!
As a DM I was thinking about to create a magical weapon, actually a elemental wind weapon.

Divine Wind:
When you hit with an attack using this magic sword, the target takes an extra 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

The sword has a number of charges, for the following spell from it, equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier. The sword regains all expended charges when you finish a long rest.

- Spells. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for your weapon's spells, since its magic draws on your spiritual and vital energy. While holding the sword, you can use an action to expend some of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it: Gust (0 charge), Gust of Wind (2 charges), Warding Wind (2 charges), Wind Wall (3 charges), Storm Sphere (5th-level version, 5 charges), Whirlwind (7 charges).

I'm thinking about very rare tier, so this is so much op for that tier? What should I do to balance?

Alternatively I made:

Divine Wind
Longsword, very rare (requires attunement)

When you hit with an attack using this magic sword, the target takes an extra 2d6 slashing damage. In addition, you can make one attack with it as a bonus action on each of your turns.

MrStabby
2016-08-29, 08:41 AM
So the first questions are about rules lawyering - what happens when it gets passed from player to player with different constitutions? Maybe require atunement and make the charges static?

Secondly bludgeoning damage? Just doesn't seem very air themes. Maybe lightening?

Casting. No doubt this is quite powerful for for a top end item it isn't over the top. You do have a lot of charges in the sword though.

NNescio
2016-08-29, 08:43 AM
Hello everyone!
As a DM I was thinking about to create a magical weapon, actually a elemental wind weapon.

I'm thinking about very rare tier, so this is so much op for that tier? What should I do to balance?

Naturally, the command word will be "Tennouheika Banzai!".

Ryuu Hayato
2016-08-29, 09:02 AM
So the first questions are about rules lawyering - what happens when it gets passed from player to player with different constitutions? Maybe require atunement and make the charges static?

Secondly bludgeoning damage? Just doesn't seem very air themes. Maybe lightening?

Casting. No doubt this is quite powerful for for a top end item it isn't over the top. You do have a lot of charges in the sword though.

Every spell based on air element is bludgeoning :smallfrown: . It's a item for a lvl 16-20 character. I don't know so much about charges, so I did it using Staff of Power as a example; it's a very rare +2 on attack, AC and Saves, 20 charges, more spells. How many charges do you recommend?

Naturally, the command word will be "Tennouheika Banzai!".

You don't have a ideia how much I laugh when I search about it

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-29, 09:44 AM

Ever get hit by strong wind? Yeah, it feels like a car just hit you.

Air should always be bludgeoning or slashing and sometimes be piercing damage.

MrStabby
2016-08-29, 11:12 AM
Ever get hit by strong wind? Yeah, it feels like a car just hit you.

Air should always be bludgeoning or slashing and sometimes be piercing damage.

So not thunder damage then?

Ryuu Hayato
2016-08-31, 02:17 AM
And now, it's too strong?

Divine Wind

When you hit with an attack using this magic sword, the target takes an extra 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

The sword has a number of charges, for the following spell from it, equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier. The sword regains all expended charges when you finish a long rest.

- Spells. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for your weapon's spells, since its magic draws on your spiritual and vital energy. While holding the sword, you can use an action to expend some of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it: Gust (0 charge), Gust of Wind (2 charges), Warding Wind (2 charges), Wind Wall (3 charges), Storm Sphere (5th-level version, 5 charges), Whirlwind (7 charges).

Gastronomie
2016-08-31, 03:56 AM
Guys, stop it with the f***ing Banzai jokes, it's not funny. It's not like we Japanese people go ride airplanes into your houses or anything. Say it one more time, and I will ride an airplane into your house and explode together with everything you hold dear. You've been warned. Tennouheika Banzai.

On topic: For a Very Rare item I think it's pretty nice and thematic, as well as balanced. I especially like how the spell list mainly consists of EE spells.

The EE spells are really thematic and cool, but sadly they tend to be a bit weaker than PHB spells of the same level. This results in many people not choosing them for their spell lists, which is pretty sad. If the players get these sorts of items, they can use those spells freely and happily.

Perhaps adding "Investiture of Wind" for 5-or-6-ish charges could be fun. I doubt it will be "too much" either, given how it's not exactly an overpowered spell in the first place.

The number of charges seems fine as it is.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-08-31, 04:12 AM
Guys, stop it with the f***ing Banzai jokes, it's not funny. It's not like we Japanese people go ride airplanes into your houses or anything. Say it one more time, and I will ride an airplane into your house and explode together with everything you hold dear. You've been warned. Tennouheika Banzai.

On topic: For a Very Rare item I think it's pretty nice and thematic, as well as balanced. I especially like how the spell list mainly consists of EE spells.

The EE spells are really thematic and cool, but sadly they tend to be a bit weaker than PHB spells of the same level. This results in many people not choosing them for their spell lists, which is pretty sad. If the players get these sorts of items, they can use those spells freely and happily.

Perhaps adding "Investiture of Wind" for 5-or-6-ish charges could be fun. I doubt it will be "too much" either, given how it's not exactly an overpowered spell in the first place.

The number of charges seems fine as it is.

Thank you for replying. It's so hard to me write in english, but it's very nice see reply like this.

It's fine 10 + constitution or 5 + constitution? I didn't saw the "investiture of wind" before :smalltongue:. I'm afraid to this item be too much strong. There is nothing like this on 5e, and my fear is be unbalanced just about that.

Gastronomie
2016-08-31, 04:22 AM
Ai mento faibu purasu consuchichuushon sukoa.

Sorry for being vague.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-08-31, 04:34 AM
Ai mento faibu purasu consuchichuushon sukoa.

Sorry for being vague.

hahaha I don't understood anything in bold. My first language is portuguese, because of my nickname its vague being japonese hahaha.

Ossian77
2016-08-31, 04:36 AM
I would keep the charges 5+ CON. Near higher levels, with items and spell buffs, any stat can go past 20 or close to 30. With so much "vital force" going through you, you don't want the player to get careless about managing the charges budget, so to speak. If they burn through the charges during a spell buff, so be it. It makes narrative sense after all :)

The spell list is fine, and the extra damage (+1d6) is certainly not unbalanced. I would reconsider the damage type though. Yes, wind shockwaves feel like a train riding on your face, but those are very broad and comparatively slow masses of air, clocking "just" a few hundred KMh in case of the worst hurricanes on Earth. That kind of "impact" damage would at least be a splash-damage , that is, deal +1d6 to everyone in a 20x20 meters and knock them to the ground. Same as water really. A tidal wave will crush a skyscraper to slag and debris, but a highly focused, hypervelocity water-jet is what the industry uses to slice through , for example, food (incl. bones....)

I think a slicing damage is more manageable and makes more sense against single targets. Examples from other franchises include

a) Huey of the Wind http://hokuto.wikia.com/wiki/Huey but most importantly

b) The "シルフェの剣 Shirufe no ken" http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Sylph_Sword which is an enchanted blade that essentially slices through highly concentrated wind gusts.

To sweeten the pot, I would give the player wielding it at least a +3 meters "reach" whenever using the slicing wind effect.

NNescio
2016-08-31, 05:03 AM
I would keep the charges 5+ CON. Near higher levels, with items and spell buffs, any stat can go past 20 or close to 30. With so much "vital force" going through you, you don't want the player to get careless about managing the charges budget, so to speak. If they burn through the charges during a spell buff, so be it. It makes narrative sense after all :)

Barring specific items (manuals, Str potions, and Thor's hammer/gloves/belt) or a singular class feature (the Barbarian's Level 20 capstone), you can't get stats above 20 either. No spells directly buff ability scores (the only indirect buffs are polymorphs, which may make you ineligible for wielding weapons).

The spell list is fine, and the extra damage (+1d6) is certainly not unbalanced. I would reconsider the damage type though. Yes, wind shockwaves feel like a train riding on your face, but those are very broad and comparatively slow masses of air, clocking "just" a few hundred KMh in case of the worst hurricanes on Earth. That kind of "impact" damage would at least be a splash-damage , that is, deal +1d6 to everyone in a 20x20 meters and knock them to the ground. Same as water really. A tidal wave will crush a skyscraper to slag and debris, but a highly focused, hypervelocity water-jet is what the industry uses to slice through , for example, food (incl. bones....)

I think a slicing damage is more manageable and makes more sense against single targets. Examples from other franchises include

b) The "シルフェの剣 Shirufe no ken" http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Sylph_Sword which is an enchanted blade that essentially slices through highly concentrated wind gusts.

The razor wind effect is mostly seen in Japanese media, due to the Kamaitachi myth (which is really only cracked skin caused by dry air, and not any of the pressure differentials/miniature tornados pseudoscience horsesh*t) and the Grasscutter Sword.

DnD wind spells generally deal (magical) bludgeoning damage.

To sweeten the pot, I would give the player wielding it at least a +3 meters "reach" whenever using the slicing wind effect.

15 ft (5 ft base + 10ft) reach weapon is a little bit excessive.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-08-31, 05:10 AM

You have a point about of slashing damage, but I saw in every part of D&D books air attack being bludgeoning damage. I realy don't have any clue what I suppose to put in.

As a alternative I made this one:

Divine Wind

When you hit with an attack using this magic sword, the target takes an extra 2d6 slashing damage. In addition, you can make one attack with it as a bonus action on each of your turns.

+1 on attack and damage is equal 1d6 damage, so since Scimitar of Speed is +2 on attack and damage, I put 2d6.

Gastronomie
2016-08-31, 06:42 AM
I don't like that 2d6 damage version. It's simple numbers, nothing but a weapon that increases the DPR. Magic weapons should be more interesting and unique, with a thematic and crafty feel.