PDA

View Full Version : Unchained Barbarian untyped bonuses

Mazricoth
2016-08-29, 01:47 PM
So, I've created a new barbarian in a really long term campaign, and I ended up doing unchained. But the more I look into it, the more the rage seems to be really nerfed from before.

The one minute cool-down is understandable and interesting, and the new rage powers seem balanced, but the simplification of the math seems to have taken half of the bonuses away from the barb's rage.

Since the bonus is to hit and damage, and not to strength, then a two handed weapon wouldn't gain the extra x1-1/2, you can't use it for strength checks like trying to move a boulder, or use it for skills like swimming or climbing. And since it's just a flat bonus to health, you don't get a bonus to fort saves like you would with the original bonus to Con. Am I missing something, or are these intentional nerfs to the rage?

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-29, 02:06 PM
Applying the bonuses directly to hit and damage saves math on the barbarian's part, which is good because they can't read. It also makes non-Strength melee barbarians possible, which is neat.

The temporary hit points is a significant buff. When they CRB barbarian starts a rage, they gain (2*level) HP, but when their rage ends they lose those hit points, which may well kill them. A particular issue is that CRB rage ends immediately if the barbarian is knocked unconscious, so hitting a raging barbarian into negative HP will usually kill them instantly. Not a fun way to lose a character. The uBarb doesn't have that problem - instead, they get (2*level) temporary HP, and when their rage ends they lose any remaining temporary HP. It makes them harder to kill when they're raging, which is one of the things that rage should do.

Edit: also, some of the unchained rage powers are quite good, especially the stances.

Mazricoth
2016-08-29, 02:29 PM
Heh, my barbarian is relatively smart, actually (14 int and 12 wis on 15 pt buy), so he can 2 math rel gud!

I noticed the temp hp difference, too, but I like the original version better, flavor wise. As it is, I can start raging, get pierced with a stinger, then stop raging, and have no physical damage. With the original rage, I can fight through the pain and keep on going long past when I should go down, until I lose the adrenaline rush and the wounds catch up to me. That makes more sense than unchained health bonus, even though unchained is much nicer :).

Still, the trade-off for that extra health is a loss in damage and utility bonuses, which suck in a campaign like mine where skill challenges and social encounters are prevalent.

Stewzors
2016-08-30, 03:13 AM
Just use Strength Surge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/strength-surge-ex) for all your RP feat of strength needs...